PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard lights not working after clean install

ricksaint
10-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Anyone knows which driver/application is necessary to make the keyboard lights work? They come on briefly during the BIOS loading but are off after boot up.

Panda
10-29-2011, 05:54 PM
ATK Package 1.0.0.00014 (Control+F to find that from the url below)

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

fuzon1337
10-29-2011, 05:54 PM
ATK package, you are really lucky since I have the same problem, but got no light during bootup -.-

Try to install a newer version of the backlit, if that doesn't work go back to the version when the backlit worked :)

ricksaint
10-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Try to install a newer version of the backlit, if that doesn't work go back to the version when the backlit worked :)

What do ou mean? What newer version? I never said it worked before...

fuzon1337
10-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Oh, my bad. I meant to write ATK package.

*Newer version of the ATK package*

Which version do you use know btw?

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Well, when you say it doesn't work after a clean install, that makes us think it worked until you did the clean install.

OK, so it never worked. Hmmmmm

Also, did you press Fn+f4?

Did you flash BIOS 203?

1. Format a USB drive to FAT32 format.
2. Download the BIOS 203 in my sig and unzip it to the USB drive.
3. Remove USB drive after you're certain the file transfer is complete.
4. Restart your notebook and while the ASUS logo is on the screen press F2 or del a few times to enter the BIOS setup.
5. Find the Easy Flash Utility and insert the USB drive. Tell Easy flash where your BIOS file is then follow directions explicitely!!!
6. When your notebook restarts, enter the BIOS Setup utility again and select "Load Optimized Defaults" (I think it's f9 )
7. Save and Exit, then continue into Windows.

if your KB lights are still not on press Fn+ f4

ricksaint
10-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, when you say it doesn't work after a clean install, that makes us think it worked until you did the clean install.

OK, so it never worked. Hmmmmm

Also, did you press Fn+f4?

Did you flash BIOS 203?

1. Format a USB drive to FAT32 format.
2. Download the BIOS 203 in my sig and unzip it to the USB drive.
3. Remove USB drive after you're certain the file transfer is complete.
4. Restart your notebook and while the ASUS logo is on the screen press F2 or del a few times to enter the BIOS setup.
5. Find the Easy Flash Utility and insert the USB drive. Tell Easy flash where your BIOS file is then follow directions explicitely!!!
6. When your notebook restarts, enter the BIOS Setup utility again and select "Load Optimized Defaults" (I think it's f9 )
7. Save and Exit, then continue into Windows.

if your KB lights are still not on press Fn+ f4

My apologies. Bad choice of words from me to Fuzon. It never worked after the clean install but it was working out of the box.

That's why I tried to uninstall the ver 1.0.0.00014 and reinslall from the Asus DVD (ver 1.0.0008), but no luck. There has to be something else needed.

BTW, is there an on/off buton or a command to toggle on/off function on this?

fuzon1337
10-29-2011, 07:04 PM
No problem :)

I'm not sure with G74 but with G73 there is a own button just for turning on and off all lights. But to bright it up or down with Fn, you just hit the Fn + F4/F3 :)
Perhaps JRd1st can help you with that question since he got G74 notebook also :)

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Did you install the Keyboard filter? http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/KB_filter/KB_Filter_Win7_64_Z1003.zip

Also, go back to ATK 1.0.0014.

fn+ f3 to dim, fn+ f4 to brighten

ricksaint
10-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Did you install the Keyboard filter? http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/KB_filter/KB_Filter_Win7_64_Z1003.zip

Also, go back to ATK 1.0.0014.

fn+ f3 to dim, fn+ f4 to brighten

Still no luck.

BTW, isn't there supposed to be another entry in "Device Manager" for the keyboard itself, and not just for the filter as shown below?

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65/jeansain/keyb.png

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Did you update your BIOS?

ricksaint
10-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Did you update your BIOS?

Not yet. I have to go get a new USB flash drive first. Besides, I am reluctant to do so: shouldn't be fixed if it's not broken. The lights were working before the clean install with the current BIOS. They should work now.

BTW, how many entries do you have for keyboard in your "Device Manager"?

fuzon1337
10-29-2011, 09:39 PM
You could use Windows BIOS Flash Utility (download it from asus support under bios utilities), I've used that program once, and that seems to work very fine :) But, I think there is someone that have to complain that program :P

And I don't know how to entry the KB in any other ways then "Device Manager"

BrodyBoy
10-29-2011, 10:41 PM
There are actually A LOT of people who have complained about the WinFlash program. Of all the ways to update the BIOS, it's one of...if not THE...most prone to failure. I'd highly recommend uninstalling it and never looking back.

When updating an Asus BIOS, the safest, most reliable method is to use the EasyFlas utility in your laptop's BIOS.

- Download the new BIOS
- Unzip it to the root directory of a FAT32-formatted thumbrive
- Insert the the thumbrive into a USB port, turn on the laptop and press F2 to go straight to the BIOS
- Start the EasyFlash utility and follow the directions

This typically takes less than five minutes, and it's very reliable if you just follow the directions.

BrodyBoy
10-29-2011, 10:42 PM
BTW, how many entries do you have for keyboard in your "Device Manager"?
There's just the one entry, as shown in your photo.

ricksaint
10-29-2011, 10:48 PM
There are actually A LOT of people who have complained about the WinFlash program. Of all the ways to update the BIOS, it's one of...if not THE...most prone to failure. I'd highly recommend uninstalling it and never looking back.

When updating an Asus BIOS, the safest, most reliable method is to use the EasyFlas utility in your laptop's BIOS.

- Download the new BIOS
- Unzip it to the root directory of a FAT32-formatted thumbrive
- Insert the the thumbrive into a USB port, turn on the laptop and press F2 to go straight to the BIOS
- Start the EasyFlash utility and follow the directions

This typically takes less than five minutes, and it's very reliable if you just follow the directions.

I haven't even installed WinFlash. I agree that EasyFlash is the one that has the least interference of the 3 utilities, because it doesn't open through any other OS.

BrodyBoy, you haven't told me how many entries you have for Keyboard in your "Device Manager".

dstrakele
10-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I have only one entry on my G74SX-A1 - Keyboard Device Filter. More importantly, in "Properties" for this device, the "Driver" tab should indicate ATK version 1..0.0.3. I currently have ATK Package 1.00.0014 installed, but the Keyboard Device Filter driver version is unchanged from the stock ATK Package 1.00.0008.

Fn-F3 will dim and turn off the keyboard lights. Be sure you press Fn-F4 AFTER logon. The keyboard lights are disabled PRIOR to logon.

ricksaint
10-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Finally it's working! And I don't know what I did differently. I uninstalled and reinstalled both the driver and the application, pressed fn-F4 ... et voilà! And there was light!

Thanks everyone for your help.

BrodyBoy
10-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Yeah, sometimes that's all it takes. Who knows what ghosts cause these things....

I just did a clean install, too, and the USB ports weren't working right. Wracked my brain over it, then finally did the uninstall/reinstall "trick." Problem solved. Weird.