PDA

View Full Version : Really beginning to regret the G73JH (won't boot up)

SynesterZ
10-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Just like the thread title states, I think I made the biggest mistake wasting my money on this laptop. I bought it a few months ago. Recently I started having problems with BSOD, which was traced to a bad graphics driver. Last night while trying to update the driver I had a problem where it wouldn't boot up. I would press the power button, all the lights would come on, the hard drive would spin up, but display would stay black (unlit). After waiting a bit I tried it again, and it booted up fine, and continued to reboot perfectly while I straightened out the driver issues. Fast forward to this morning I go to take the laptop out of hibernation, and nothing. Same unlit screen. If I hit the power button while it's like this it powers off. I am at my wits end with this thing. And don't say to RMA it, I bought a refurbished version from Newegg, and stupid me, didn't think to look at the warranty period. 90 f###ing days is all they give you (never buy the refurbished one unless you can afford the 2 year replacement, or you may end up with a $900 paper weight).

P.S. Mine is the G73JH-BST7

fuzon1337
10-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I would say that is something wrong with your graphic card, and have to RMA the situation. So instead of talking with Newsegg, call direct to Asus Hotline and ask them what to do, Asus computers have 2 years warrenty if I'm not wrong.

SynesterZ
10-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Not this one. Since it's refurbished the warranty is only 90 days (here's the Newegg add: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230021). And I haven't been in contact with Newegg on this issue, since I'm well past the return date. The laptop is only 5 months old. I think I'm on my own with this one. Now do you know if Asus charges you to speak to their techs? I know HP did when I was out of warranty.

fuzon1337
10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
That, I don't know. I don't think they take any extra charges to talk with them :)
Perhaps other members or moderators with @asus in ther nick, can help you out with this.

I hope this is going to end well for you :)

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 08:38 PM
PM BRIAN@ASUS or MASON@ASUS but I don't think they're here on the weekend.

You don't even get the Asus logo screen when you power up?

SynesterZ
10-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Nope, laptop doesn't post at all. Just sits there. The indicator for the hard drive lights up when I power it on for a couple of seconds, and lights up a couple more times after a few more seconds, then nothing. All of the lights are on.

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Remove the hdd's and try to post. If that doesn't work, put the HDD's back and remove the RAM sticks. Is there a reset button on the bottom somewhere?

SynesterZ
10-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Ok, I removed the hdd and tried to power it on, same thing happened, which is nothing. I removed all the ram and tried to power it on and it acted differently. The indicator light for the hdd didn't come on, and when I pressed the power button again it wouldn't turn off (like it does with the ram installed).

SynesterZ
11-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Hi, figure I'd post an update in case anyone finds this thread and is dealing with similar problems. It ended up being a dead video card. After buying one from ebay and installing it everything works perfectly now (except the keyboard backlight, why oh why did you have to tape it down Asus!?!). So if you run into the same problem, no display and the laptop won't finish it's POST cycle, you probably need a new card. I think when I was getting random BSOD's the card was on it's way out, and running BF3 for a bit to show my friend finally killed it off. From now on I'll watch the temps like a hawk.

Brian@ASUS
11-04-2011, 01:11 AM
and you've done the vbios update for this? i would try this update along with a bios update.

if your display doesn't come on you can try to hook up a external monitor?

SynesterZ
11-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Well. I went through all the possible tests (I had made a thread over on the notebook review forums that got a few more responses). I hooked up a monitor, tried testing the ram, tried to blind flash the vbios (since I had no screen) and nothing worked. The only thing that worked was swapping in a new video card. My laptop refused to POST until then.

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 10:47 AM
JH is the model with the ati card?

Brian@ASUS
11-06-2011, 10:52 AM
where or how did you swap the video card? with another jh's video card? if so maybe your GPU died. and it wont display on your external monitor? sounds like a dead gpu... i would RMA it

SynesterZ
11-06-2011, 07:08 PM
I replaced it with an identical card that I purchased from ebay. As I stated before I couldn't RMA it because I had purchased a refurbished model that only had a 90 day warranty.