PDA

View Full Version : G750js lags when plugged in but not on battery..

osarpis@gmail.com
11-26-2014, 09:30 AM
So, I bought this G750JS-T4171H about a month ago. I've been playing LoL and BF4 mostly. When I bought it, it lagged only when I was gaming and it was on battery and it worked perfectly when it was plugged in. I played only LoL for three days and after that I played some BF4 but the lag was so intense I couldn't play at all. So it just magically turned around and now it ONLY lags when it's plugged to AC, but it DOENS'T lag AT ALL when it's on battery??? I've checked the power options and they're both (while plugged and while on battery) on the power4gear setting. It only started couple of days ago, and before that it had worked perfectly normal. I googled some advice and changed the "when playing video" setting to "balanced" in advanced options of the power settings but it didn't work. I have yet to try renaming the power plan and booting after that if there's a problem with that (someone recommended this, got no idea if it'll be any good. I'm not a smart man. Please someone tech/hardware/software-genius-semigod pls halp. If i play BF4 without laptop being plugged in it empties the battery in an hour. And if it's plugged in it lags even with medium graphics in BF4, LoL works well with full graphics (ok it's reallly low graph game) no matter if it's plugged in or not. ASUS GODS SEND HALP.

RAM-disk
11-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Sounds like a flaky power supply (the brick thingy), I had all sorts of problems with mine. Battery not charging but showing in the task bar that it is, random black screens, not starting at all. Was told it's the battery ..replaced it , did not solve my problems was told it's the charging circuit (mother board) that was not it either...tried another ASUS power supply ...did not solve the problem. In a last ditch attempt I dug around my junk box and found an old APC travelpower adapter, plugged it in and everything is working fine, battery is charging now too. Only problem it only puts out 70 watts but works I'm keeping this as a spare in my case, this thing even has changeable plugs for 12V lighter socket. Forgot I had this thing laying around it's about 15 years old. Proper 180Watt replacement on order staying away from ASUS power supplies ordered this one instead
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GCTBBY2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8ULOE3TR492Q

hmscott
11-26-2014, 11:34 PM
...Proper 180Watt replacement on order staying away from ASUS power supplies ordered this one instead
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GCTBBY2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8ULOE3TR492Q

RAM-disk, please let us know how it works out. Which model ROG laptop do you have?

My 230w power supplies from Asus both work well, one came with the G750JH and the other I ordered form the Asus estore.

IDK if there is a new problem with the current generation of the power supplies, but the previous generation works well. Some reported failures, but it was only a few. It seems there is a much larger failure rate with the new ones.

The G750JH/JZ/JY all take 230w power supplies, so although this power supply from Pwr+ says it is compatible, it is only a 180w power supply and won't allow the G750JH/JZ/JY to run at full usage and charge at the same time.

Amazon.ca doesn't list a Pwr+ adapter that runs at 230w or higher, the 180w is the top of their line.

RAM-disk
11-27-2014, 12:45 AM
I have the G750JM and it's been a fight from day one, what should have been a really nice out of the box experience has been 3 weeks of battling the hardware. Really disappointed with the quality control at this price range. My 5year old ASUS N61VN has not missed beat since new, the G750..yeah
not impressed.
I'm gaining the upper hand here from the looks of things, hopefully no more issues after this.

PS. 180 Watt is what the JM model calls for, so that's why I'm getting that one.

hmscott
11-27-2014, 01:03 AM
I have the G750JM and it's been a fight from day one, what should have been a really nice out of the box experience has been 3 weeks of battling the hardware. Really disappointed with the quality control at this price range. My 5year old ASUS N61VN has not missed beat since new, the G750..yeah
not impressed.
I'm gaining the upper hand here from the looks of things, hopefully no more issues after this.

PS. 180 Watt is what the JM model calls for, so that's why I'm getting that one.

RAM-disk, I didn't know that until you told me your model, plus I wanted to point out that their compatibility list was incorrect listing the G750JH and same for the G750JZ/JY.

You actually got lucky, when the G750JM first came out till just around the release of the 344.11 driver, everyone with a G750JM was stuck on the 332.60 driver due to random BSOD's coming out of games.

The power supply problem is relatively new, about 4 months ago people first started complaining about them.

Reporting all of this to Asus helps them know the depth of the problem. If you are forced to get another power supply from a 3rd party Asus needs to know that.

Asus needs to make good on their Power Supply issues and replace yours, and all the others that are insufficient.

Glad to hear you are getting a handle on getting the G750JM stable, we should all be able to enjoy our purchase right out of the box, and not have to debug and fight for stability.