PDA

View Full Version : G751 Whining Fans?

Chronoveil
11-26-2014, 08:39 PM
So, when I got the G751 I found it had a little bit of a higher pitched whining sound to the fan and then it got louder so I sent it in and they replaced a fan (don't know whether it was the right one or not) and initially I thought there was an improvement but that only lasted a few hours and the problem still happens. Sometimes it doesn't happen for hours, which is strange. Anyway, I just want to know whether to pursue it or whether it's just normal and I have to force my brain to find a way to deal with it. Do other G751 owners notice a high pitched sound like a wind passing through a reed (or a super quiet chainsaw) which comes and goes (mostly when the fan is on a low setting, just above idle)? I'm trying very hard not to take a hatchet to this otherwise wonderful computer, but it is hard to concentrate when I am working. Also, if anyone bought their computer from Prostar and had the additional copper heat sinks installed to improve cooling I would like to know how their fans sound because I was wondering whether that could have changed the shape of the air pathway or something. I see youtubes with fan noise tests where they always sounds perfect, but I've never seen an actual working model apart from my own, so I would like to know how other people's fans sound. Thanks.

Richdog
11-27-2014, 11:10 AM
if you have a high pitched whining like a reed then clearly this is not normal... return it again or make double sure it isnt some kind of capacitor squeal.

My fans are a dull whoosh.

Sagi
11-27-2014, 12:08 PM
I experienced the same with my G751JY.. It's been shipped off to RMA yesterday.

I had several things that needed a fix - But this sound was driving me crazy and it shouldn't be making it!

Chronoveil
12-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Thanks for your help. I'll try to get it fixed then.

DrKchetes
05-25-2015, 08:34 AM
Yeah, ive got the exact same problem since a couple weeks ago, left fan, funny noise, and exactl as a "little chainsaw thing, specially on iddle", temps are good, right fan is good, maybe some more information on the issue?