PDA

View Full Version : G771JM Cpu throttles during use of handbrake video convert

Kalberg
11-29-2014, 05:17 AM
I have downclocked cpu to 3Ghz 4 cores using XTU as the laptops cooling system can't handle the cpu at rated speed.

This is not good enough coming from Asus, screen (IPS) are fine so I'm keeping the laptop.

hmscott
11-29-2014, 05:38 AM
I have downclocked cpu to 3Ghz 4 cores using XTU as the laptops cooling system can't handle the cpu at rated speed.

This is not good enough coming from Asus, screen (IPS) are fine so I keep the laptop.

Kalberg, it is Optimus raising the CPU temp by enabling and running all video through the Intel GPU/CPU die.

Between the G750JW/JX/JH without Optimus, and the G750JM/JS/JZ with Optimus, Optimus raised CPU temp 10c under 100% CPU due to the added heat / power draw of the Intel GPU being enabled. This caused Thermal Throttling on the most CPU intensive loads.

You are on the right track with your XTU settings, but from past experience helping G750JM/JS/JZ users doing rendering on the CPU - not being able to off load rendering on to the Nvidia GPU - you can give your Core 1/2 more headroom and take away the multi from Core 3/4 only.

Here is the result of testing to get the best performance from a JS under 100% rendering load - keeping the CPU from Thermal Throttling, while keeping the multi's up for better performance on less than 100% load on single or dual core threads:

Things to try ~CPU overheating JM/JS/JZ models~
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48594-Things-to-try-CPU-overheating-JM-JS-JZ-models

A little more fine tuning on the Core Multi's and it might not be so bad. It might be different on the G771's, please post your best results when ready :)

Kalberg
11-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks for your time.

Wish could disable intel GPU. Well This is what I got so far:

DDR3L 2133 memory runs just fine at full speed.

hmscott
11-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your time.

Wish could disable intel GPU. Well This is what I got so far:

DDR3L 2133 memory runs just fine at full speed.

Kalberg, that all looks good! How are the temps now?

You could play with the core 3/4 settings to see if you can run more / less multi to meet your temp goal of non-throttling under the load you use.

Glad the memory plays at 2133mhz too, that should help nicely.

Be sure and file a Technical Inquiry with Asus to let them know you aren't happy with Optimus and why. Owner feedback helps Asus get the feedback they need to decide where to leave out Optimus in the future. No Optimus for all high performance Nvidia/ATI ROG laptops I would think, but Asus doesn't know that until we tell them. And, fill out the Feedback form too.

https://vip.asus.com
http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm/Complain

Have fun!

Kalberg
11-30-2014, 12:49 AM
I had to clock down to 29 ratio 3 and 4 cores to get no throttling.
Temps etc:

Was using handbrake to convert a 1080p.mp4 file to 720p.mp4

Will send a complaint to asus later.

memito
12-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Hy guys. Just 1 question . Do you have low FPS in games, because your Nvidia graphic doesnt switch ?