PDA

View Full Version : G751JY Blu- Ray probs

Noel
11-30-2014, 02:28 AM
Can't find a way to auto or manual load normal dvd movie on my G751JY. Tried VLC,WMP player , not auto playing. pc set to ask,auto play is on, no dvd movie comes up. cd music reads ok software cd reads ok, spent hrs trying .Any help please driving me nuts.

disk spins normal but no selection choice popup box, nor clicking on drive direct wont play will only open to view files.

I don't no if it will play Blu-ray disk as I be getting one to try Monday.

toronto699
11-30-2014, 04:15 AM
My G751-JY-DH72X has AsusDVD by Cyberlink installed that's the G751 default media player for DVD , BluRay , CD , when u first insert a disk in the BD drive Windows 8.1 {A BD DISK POPUP top right corner} asks what do u want to do with the disk , play or open file, maybe that's the problem ? if somehow files was selected the first time that's what the BluRay drive will do open files , im unsure how to change that . , the first time different media is inserted in the BD drive u should see that pop up asking what u want to do , open file or play disk

hmscott
11-30-2014, 05:29 AM
My G751-JY-DH72X has AsusDVD by Cyberlink installed that's the G751 default media player for DVD , BluRay , CD , when u first insert a disk in the BD drive Windows 8.1 {A BD DISK POPUP top right corner} asks what do u want to do with the disk , play or open file, maybe that's the problem ? if somehow files was selected the first time that's what the BluRay drive will do open files , im unsure how to change that . , the first time different media is inserted in the BD drive u should see that pop up asking what u want to do , open file or play disk

Noel/toronto699, most G751's didn't come with AsusDVD, I am surprised toronto699 has it installed, thanks for the report.

Word from Asus is that they stopped including Asus DVD because most users didn't take advantage of it, so they stopped including Asus DVD - which also plays Blu-ray's on models that include Blu-ray - you can't add a player later and have it work.

Noel, you can go to Cyberlink.com and download a trial, or start using the on demand version where you pay as little as $15 quarterly to use the latest version of PowerDVD Ultimate - that's what I use - so I can download a copy to any machine I am running from at the time.

Enjoy!

Noel
11-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Ok, so if I download AsusDVD I should be able to play dvd and blu ray disk, but on the website it show win 8 . Is that still ok if I'm running W8.1?
I have cyber link on my unit which I installed from whiten my Asus installation wizard ,but when I press on CD DVD OR BlyRay it ask me to upgrade,

I pretend I have a Blu-ray on my machine so that I can freely use it that's why I choose this option, it is against the law to sell something that wont work, so I expect it to be free and included by Asus on my machine. after all I paid lots of money so I have a Blu-ray so that I use it .
well guys thanks in advance and thanks for having people like you that help out, as I was about to jump on my laptop.:)

toronto699
11-30-2014, 03:19 PM
its ok if u have 8.1 asus dvd should still work for w7 , w8 and w8.1

hmscott
11-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Ok, so if I download AsusDVD I should be able to play dvd and blu ray disk, but on the website it show win 8 . Is that still ok if I'm running W8.1?
I have cyber link on my unit which I installed from whiten my Asus installation wizard ,but when I press on CD DVD OR BlyRay it ask me to upgrade,

I pretend I have a Blu-ray on my machine so that I can freely use it that's why I choose this option, it is against the law to sell something that wont work, so I expect it to be free and included by Asus on my machine. after all I paid lots of money so I have a Blu-ray so that I use it .
well guys thanks in advance and thanks for having people like you that help out, as I was about to jump on my laptop.:)

Noel, you should contact Asus and ask for a download of a DVD/Bluray player, and see what they say. Just as they don't supply games for a gaming machine, they don't have to supply DVD/Blu-ray software. They used to do that up until recently, and some G751 owners say they have it, but others say they don't. Maybe it is a regional thing?

I removed the download link for the Asus DVD from my post above, if it isn't going to work on G751's that don't come with a license, it isn't worth a try for others either.

The software isn't expensive if you buy it, and you get a many times newer release, the AsusDVD version is always several versions back in features, but it still plays the media.

Let us know what Asus says about not providing DVD/Blu-ray player software with the laptop.

MaxFuse
11-30-2014, 03:45 PM
I also have this problem on my new G751jy laptop.
I followed the link and installed the software., but when you open it asks for a registration key. How do I get one?

hmscott
11-30-2014, 03:57 PM
I also have this problem on my new G751jy laptop.
I followed the link and installed the software., but when you open it asks for a registration key. How do I get one?

MaxFuse, darn, your laptop isn't recognized, so it is asking for a license. It looks like you need to ask Asus for a license and/or a download for a version that supports your laptop.

https://vip.asus.com <= create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry stating the problem and ask for Asus to provide DVD/Blu-ray playback software.

I removed the download link for the Asus DVD from my post above, if it isn't going to work on G751's that don't come with a license, it isn't worth a try for others either.

For now you can download the demo/trial of PowerDVD 14 Ultra / Pro from Cyberlink - they are the ones that provide Asus with the Asus DVD software.

PowerDVD 14 Ultra / Trial
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/features_en_US.html
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdvd-ultra/download_en_US.html

PowerDVD 14 Pro (Ultra is Trial)
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-pro/features_en_US.html

Compare PowerDVD versions (make sure it plays Blu-ray if you need it)
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-pro/compare-versions_en_US.html

Cyberlink have a Black Friday sale on now, so it would be a good time to get a copy. I doubt Asus is going to provide you a free copy if it wasn't included in the OS install of the laptop.

Noel
11-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi! again can you please confirm this link below, if it is what I need to have my cd dvd Blu-ray working?
is this life time purchase ?
thanks.
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/window8-updates-center/enu/index.jsp#rangeWin8

keeps taking me to recent release.....is this ok for me PowerDVD 14 Ultra. good discount right now.

hmscott
11-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Hi! again can you please confirm this link below, if it is what I need to have my cd dvd Blu-ray working?
is this life time purchase ?
thanks.
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/window8-updates-center/enu/index.jsp#rangeWin8
keeps taking me to recent release.....is this ok for me PowerDVD 14 Ultra. good discount right now.

Noel, let me make sure I got this correctly. You used that link to check compatibility, and after it ran it took you to the PowerDVD 14 Ultra page for purchase?

I don't know if I would call it a life-time purchase, as company's come and go, as do products, so if what you are really asking is - will this purchase keep working even year after year, and again, that depends on the company updating the product - but it doesn't expire, like other things that require re-purchase every year.

Cyberlink has a Live product that lets you download the latest Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra version as long as you are subscribed, either quarterly or annually. It costs less per year than a fully licensed PowerDVD, but you have to keep renewing every year. But it won't ever get old, as you keep getting the newest version.

When you purchase PowerDVD 14 Ultra you are stuck at that version, unless you pay for an upgrade.

New versions come out about yearly :)

Noel
11-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Well I wrote to Asus I see what they come up with, I'm not willing to pay quarterly or annually. I was tricked as when I bought this nothing
said that Blu-ray will not work or that I need to get software. gaming is deferent, dose not need to include free games, but having part of your machine useless is another matter. imagine baying a washing machine! then after you find it will not wash/spin, then you find there's no motor,, after you call the shop they tell you sorry mate! You need to upgrade your motor as its sold separately. NO NO. Microsoft and PC manufacturers seems to like the idea screwing up people hard earned cash. well first and last. next I go for Mac PC . thanks for all your help. About regional this was purchased from USA Via UK as there was not yet any, got mine on Nov18.
regards Noel

Noel
11-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Funny my last post vanished. A
Anyway I downloaded AsusDVD but when I enter dvd in drive ,Box pops up by Power DVD asking me activation key.
so what now?

Noel
11-30-2014, 10:29 PM
I did download AsusDVD but when I place dvd in drive, a pop up box Power to Go 10 ask for activation key. damm now where the hack im gone get this key? if its suppose to be free,a key should be in help file,but no file exist.

hmscott
12-01-2014, 05:19 AM
Funny my last post vanished. A
Anyway I downloaded AsusDVD but when I enter dvd in drive ,Box pops up by Power DVD asking me activation key.
so what now?

Noel, go back a page on this thread :)

hmscott
12-01-2014, 05:24 AM
I did download AsusDVD but when I place dvd in drive, a pop up box Power to Go 10 ask for activation key. damm now where the hack im gone get this key? if its suppose to be free,a key should be in help file,but no file exist.

Noel, I responded to MaxFuse who also got that activation key request, read here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54211-G751JY-Blu-Ray-probs&p=453683&viewfull=1#post453683

That is why I removed the link to the Asus DVD download from my earlier posts.

Which Cyberlink product did you end up getting? Refering to this response here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54211-G751JY-Blu-Ray-probs&p=453702&viewfull=1#post453702

Noel
12-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Hmscott, I did read after I posted :}, I did not get anything yet, as I am trying to get the activation key from Asus, if they wont give me any, then I will try find something simple just to make dvd and bluray work with out having to pay to keep using my bluray.

hmscott
12-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Hmscott, I did read after I posted :}, I did not get anything yet, as I am trying to get the activation key from Asus, if they wont give me any, then I will try find something simple just to make dvd and bluray work with out having to pay to keep using my bluray.

Noel, in essence, someone always pays. Asus paid Cyberlink for the right to distribute, but hadn't gotten an update from Cyberlink for a while, it is version 10, and that is from 2010, we are now on version 14, from 2014, and soon we will see PowerDVD 15... 2015 :)

Cyberlink has to pay for using the BDR drm license to decode Blu-rays, so there is a cost involved for everyone, so some revenue is eventually going to be needed.

I think Cyberlink's Black Friday deals are now over, but likely as not Cyberlink will have more sales through xmas.

Please come back and let us know what you end up finding to use.

Noel
12-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Well I tried VLC before did not work, but since I downloaded Asus DVD, and thanks to you , now the link you gave me VLC For windows works just fine, I put a copy DVD of a movie and an original bout worked fine, but as for Blu-ray disk I have no idea , all I know is, in auto play VLC does not set on Blu-ray just DVD and Enhanced DVD,
the rest are set under AsusDvd.
II will post again when I get a Blu-ray disk. but at least I can view my movies, thanks again Hmscott. :}

hmscott
12-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Well I tried VLC before did not work, but since I downloaded Asus DVD, and thanks to you , now the link you gave me VLC For windows works just fine, I put a copy DVD of a movie and an original bout worked fine, but as for Blu-ray disk I have no idea .
II will post again when I get a Blu-ray disk. but at least I can view my movies, thanks again Hmscott. :}

Noel, glad to hear you are able to watch DVD's again :)

I tried VLC with Blu-ray, and it won't work with commercial movies with AACS encryption.

How about trying a 30-day trial of the Cyberlink, or any of the other commercial products out there... I haven't looked for over a year, but I think there were at least 2 others that worked - all paid for products with trial versions. End to end you might get a couple of months of free trials.

Let's see what Asus says :)

hmscott
12-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Guys, posted by BigDRim on notebookreview.com, a new FREE Blu-ray player, and it works :)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/761783-asus-g751-coming-maxwell-gtx-980m-gtx-970m-3.html#post9854130

Leawo Blu-ray Player
http://www.leawo.com/blu-ray-player/

Update: make sure the Leawo Player can call home to get BD updates. Fixed my problem playing some titles. It was spinning and not coming back to start a new BD, for one I got busy with something else, and it timed out and displayed a dialog saying it couldn't get information from server, gave it access and it works fine.

They have had 3,487,636 Downloads, so I would imagine some times getting to their update server is going to be an issue.

So far it has played everything I have tried, but I haven't tried any new release movies. Some times in the past even with Cyberlink it took a few days to a week or more to get the codes for new movies in their server to get for playback. I just put it in a PS3/4 or standalone Blu-ray player that did get updates upon first release.

joshindaphils
12-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Well I wrote to Asus I see what they come up with, I'm not willing to pay quarterly or annually. I was tricked as when I bought this nothing
said that Blu-ray will not work or that I need to get software. gaming is deferent, dose not need to include free games, but having part of your machine useless is another matter. imagine baying a washing machine! then after you find it will not wash/spin, then you find there's no motor,, after you call the shop they tell you sorry mate! You need to upgrade your motor as its sold separately. NO NO. Microsoft and PC manufacturers seems to like the idea screwing up people hard earned cash. well first and last. next I go for Mac PC . thanks for all your help. About regional this was purchased from USA Via UK as there was not yet any, got mine on Nov18.
regards Noel

Exactly how were you tricked? PCs have traditionally not had DVD/Bluray playback software by default for some time. Asus does not advertise Bluray playback... your upset because you don't know the standards of things not because you were tricked. When you buy your Apple box you will unfortunately discover the complete lack of an optical drive and no Bluray playback software as well.

toronto699
12-07-2014, 03:04 AM
http://www.windvdpro.com/en/products/windvd/pro/default.html?x-source=atg_pid&utm_source=ATG&utm_medium=nav&utm_campaign=WinDVD_Pro_11&hptrack=mmothr

Noel
12-10-2014, 08:23 PM
I will give this a try. And Hmscott as for Asus they said its clear on the emanual that I have to get a software as win8.1 did not include a dvd player, but they said I can purchase one or get a free app. anyway I'm over it now but if this player is good I will give it a try.

I would like to rest my mind on something that is bothering me a bit. The two rear vents at the back, one seems to blow out air while the other can hardly tell if any air is coming out, is this normal? I mean do they suppose to blow air evenly? or maybe when it get real hot it mite work? I have not played games yet so did not get it to that heat stage yet. I here a bit of fan noise but that's all. I put a flame on the left vent it puts it out. on the right not a movement. any ideas please? as for test on ASUS(R) Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility it shows 40 - 45 c just on streaming or browsing.

regards Noel

Noel
12-10-2014, 09:03 PM
well your right Joshindaphils, but I believe they should have stated that there is no Blu-ray or DVD software included. I have the right to know before buying any item. well as long I found some players with Hmscott help I'm glad I can view my movies.

regards Noel

hmscott
12-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I will give this a try. And Hmscott as for Asus they said its clear on the emanual that I have to get a software as win8.1 did not include a dvd player, but they said I can purchase one or get a free app. anyway I'm over it now but if this player is good I will give it a try.

I would like to rest my mind on something that is bothering me a bit. The two rear vents at the back, one seems to blow out air while the other can hardly tell if any air is coming out, is this normal? I mean do they suppose to blow air evenly? or maybe when it get real hot it mite work? I have not played games yet so did not get it to that heat stage yet. I here a bit of fan noise but that's all. I put a flame on the left vent it puts it out. on the right not a movement. any ideas please? as for test on ASUS(R) Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility it shows 40 - 45 c just on streaming or browsing.
regards Noel

Noel, that fan behavior is normal. Looking from the front sitting position, the Left side is the CPU fan, which runs more often during normal Windows usage, and the Left side is the GPU Fan which really only spins up for gaming.

Everyone wonders about that the first time. :)

The DVD/Blu-ray software stance for Asus makes some sense, they would need to pay $ for each unit sold, even for units where the user wouldn't end up using the software.

The support cycle for Cyberlink is about 4 years right now, so if you get the 2015 version on sale you can divide the price by 48 for a per month cost that is pretty low. And, you could buy the upgrade for $39 during the Black Friday sale, likely another sale will come up before 2015 to move the 2014 version before the end of the year :)

Have fun :)

Noel
12-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Thank you Hmscott! I'm glad that you been a great help. Cheers!, and I wish you and all members and your loved once a Happy Christmas or Happy Holidays .

regards Noel

asusguy
11-22-2016, 02:25 AM
Guys, posted by BigDRim on notebookreview.com, a new FREE Blu-ray player, and it works :)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/761783-asus-g751-coming-maxwell-gtx-980m-gtx-970m-3.html#post9854130

Lehttp://www.leawo.com/blu-ray-player/awo Blu-ray Player

Update: make sure the Leawo Player can call home to get BD updates. Fixed my problem playing some titles. It was spinning and not coming back to start a new BD, for one I got busy with something else, and it timed out and displayed a dialog saying it couldn't get information from server, gave it access and it works fine.

They have had 3,487,636 Downloads, so I would imagine some times getting to their update server is going to be an issue.

So far it has played everything I have tried, but I haven't tried any new release movies. Some times in the past even with Cyberlink it took a few days to a week or more to get the codes for new movies in their server to get for playback. I just put it in a PS3/4 or standalone Blu-ray player that did get updates upon first release.

Thanks so much for posting this link for ""www.leawo.com/blu-ray-player/[/url]awo Blu-ray Player"" I downloaded this player and reinstalled my new Panasonic UJ272 Blu-ray player I bought from ebay for $63.00 shipped. and it worked perfectly :) Iv been hacking at this for two days now!!!! and no update' no players' that I tried worked at all.

My Asus G751JY That I bought from Bestbuy 4 weeks ago I paid $1500.00 "did not" come with a Blu-ray player so I added one (Panasonic UJ272) This is the current and newest model that is compatible with thies laptops.

SO please don't waste any more of your time don't buy cyberlink or any other player.... Just download this player and have fun YAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! It works :)

Thanks again saved me a lot of time.