PDA

View Full Version : G751JY RMA Experience!

Demike
11-30-2014, 06:38 AM
I bought the Asus G751JY-DH73-CA about month ago and everything was performing great when I bought it, unfortunately after 5 days I had it I found two problems:

-The "x" key was off centered and was causing it to stick on the frame when pressed.
-Bezel on the right side of the screen was slightly loose. You only could notice it by pressing the bezel on this area.

I could live with the bezel issue, but the x key problem was annoying me a little bit. So I talked to an Asus rep and he said I would have to send the notebook for repair, which I did. I was following my RMA status on the website and it had changed to Waiting-[WB1] Wait for Material/Spare Parts :( After a week or so I contacted Asus again to know if they could tell me why the part was taking so long to arrive, but I basically was told what I already knew. Even though the Asus reps couldn't tell me too much about my status they were always very polite and tried to help me the best they could. So I received my unit back this Friday. They changed the entire keyboard area and the bezel. Since then it's been a pleasure to type on this keyboard. The bezel issue remained, have no idea why. But I won't rma it again since this is not causing me any problems at all and is only present in the middle of the bezel on the right side.

All in all I can say I had a positive experience with the RMA process :) and I've got my notebook back performing great as when I bought it, running cool, silent and very fast.

Good job Asus.

geneticweapon
11-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks for sharing that mate!.. and I'm glad you you got your notebook back. It really sucks when you buy something, and have to send it in to be fixed.

Demike
11-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Yes, I just thought you guys should know. This was my first RMA process and I'm glad everything worked out.

Darnassus
11-30-2014, 05:00 PM
This might lift a few scares of the bad experiences.

Sagi
11-30-2014, 09:44 PM
May I ask how long it took for the RMA?

I had to use the RMA as well.. Currently it says:

Arrived: 2014/11/28

Esitmated time for repair: 2014/12/12 09:00:00

Product repair is in progress.-[WB1] Wait for Material/Spare Parts.

It's been shipped off to repair @ LetMeRepair in Sweden (they handle all the nordic countries) So I'm aware it might not be the same :rolleyes:

This is what I sent it back for:

1. Green glow @ the left side of the screen
2. V button was stuck
3. Enter key slightly stuck and was making a sqweeking noise when I used it
4. CPU / GPU running slightly hot at times
6. Sqweeking noise from the right side (it's coming from the fans @ high load) definitely not something it should be doing!
7. The speaker issue (sound only coming from left side + the sub)

Hope they fix everything, so I won't have to sent it back once again.. I even add'd a list with picture etc. explaining with circles and stuff, so they knew where to locate the problems :confused:

Demike
12-01-2014, 01:22 AM
May I ask how long it took for the RMA?

I had to use the RMA as well.. Currently it says:

Arrived: 2014/11/28

Esitmated time for repair: 2014/12/12 09:00:00

Product repair is in progress.-[WB1] Wait for Material/Spare Parts.

It's been shipped off to repair @ LetMeRepair in Sweden (they handle all the nordic countries) So I'm aware it might not be the same :rolleyes:

2. V button was stuck
3. Enter key slightly stuck and was making a sqweeking noise when I used it
6. Sqweeking noise from the right side (it's coming from the fans @ high load) definitely not something it should be doing!

Hope they fix everything, so I won't have to sent it back once again.. I even add'd a list with picture etc. explaining with circles and stuff, so they knew where to locate the problems :confused:

It sucks when you experience problems like this with a new system. Well, the whole process from the day I sent it for repairing to get it back took 23 days. It stayed under the "Product repair is in progress.-[WB1] Wait for Material/Spare Parts" status for 15 days. I forgot to say that Asus did next day shipping to my home which was a good point too. I hope they can fix everything for you :)

hmscott
12-01-2014, 03:16 AM
...I forgot to say that Asus did next day shipping to my home which was a good point too...

Demike, Asus usually ships the same speed back to you as you shipped to them.

Sagi
12-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Demike may I ask which country your laptop was repaired at ? :)

23days sounds oki, as long as they fix all the problems.

Richdog
12-01-2014, 12:31 PM
I bought the Asus G751JY-DH73-CA about month ago and everything was performing great when I bought it, unfortunately after 5 days I had it I found two problems:

-The "x" key was off centered and was causing it to stick on the frame when pressed.
-Bezel on the right side of the screen was slightly loose. You only could notice it by pressing the bezel on this area.

I also have the loose bezel issue on the right side, so I guess this is another common manufacturing fault. it feels like you could "click" it into place, but sadly that's not possible, it's just not fixed properly. This, in combination with the strong IPS glow, is making me consider an RMA.

Demike
12-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Demike, Asus usually ships the same speed back to you as you shipped to them.

Well, I shipped to them in 2 days, so they went beyond my expectations in that matter :)

Demike may I ask which country your laptop was repaired at ? :)

23days sounds oki, as long as they fix all the problems.

It was in Canada.

I also have the loose bezel issue on the right side, so I guess this is another common manufacturing fault. it feels like you could "click" it into place, but sadly that's not possible, it's just not fixed properly. This, in combination with the strong IPS glow, is making me consider an RMA.

That's exactly my case with the bezel, but as long as it doesn't give me any problems in the future I'm fine. I'm glad that my screen there is no noticeable glow. Can't you exchange you unit for another one? If not it's better to send it for repair.

rmuniak
12-10-2014, 03:25 PM

I'm having same issues. Actually they all can be according to specification. The green glow on the very left might be an IPS screen side effect - at the right i have some more bluish tone for example and green on the right - although it is clearly visible only on solid background. CPU/GPU hot - they will be hot when under stress. Not sure about speaker issue, haven't tested them.

Please let me know if they will send you back and you wont notice any glows on the screen - i will consider then sending back mine too!

I actually could noticed it at the very beginning when i was looking for faults in the screen but after a while i got used to it, and you don't notice it that much if you don't have solid background on the screen.

Sagi
12-11-2014, 07:20 AM
I will give a feedback once I know more.. i called them again yesterday (they are still waiting on the screen) they got everything else they need to replace.

I told them I wasn't happy about sending a brand new laptop back for repair, which I had just paid 3000$ for - So they told me, that if it's not been fixed by the 17.12.2014 they will credit me and I will get my money back (or order a new one) which I doubt I will.

I'm not going to risk ending up with another faulty laptop that needs to be shipped off to RMA straight away :rolleyes:

Sagi
12-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Here is an update on my RMA:

Status: Not been fixed yet (still waiting on spare parts - the 17'3 screen) it's been 2 weeks since they ordered the spare parts for the repair.

Estimated time for repair and delivery was set for the 12.12.14, which is today.

So.. I've been in contact with both ASUS and the retailer (Dustin.dk) the past few days.

ASUS couldn't offer me ANY support or help other then "sorry for the delay" .. Dustin.dk on the other hand, they handled this like I would expect any professional retailer would.

They told me that they would contact ASUS and try to follow up on this - And today I recieved an email from Dustin.dk, that confirmed ASUS would credit the laptop and I was able to get a new one instead.

So if everything goes well, I will have a brand new G751JY @ monday :)

However, I'm not getting my hopes up yet with the new one.. I will test it in anyway possible once I get it!

At least something good (hopefully) came out of all this hassle.

Evil Hotdog
12-13-2014, 01:27 AM
Received my second laptop after sending the first back, which had bad ips glow on the right side, the subwoofer issue and some issue with the left fan. The second laptop has the same problems, except for the fan problem, and has also hair under the screen (dafuq?)
I'm gonna ask for a replacement of the screen this time, and also ask if there is already something they can do about the subwoofer, a warranty for a fix would be nice.
If the screen isnt fixed the third time i give up and ask for a refund.

Evil Hotdog
12-13-2014, 01:28 AM
i also noticed the touchpad buttons are a bit loose, is this normal? didnt pay attentiton to it with the first laptop.

Sagi
12-15-2014, 04:43 PM
I finally got my replacement and I'm currently installing various stuff on it..

There is no screen bleed or anything like that.. Now I just have to test it and see, if it actually stays cool and quiet like it should :rolleyes:

I will update it later or tomorrow.

BRSxIgnition
12-15-2014, 05:46 PM
I finally got my replacement and I'm currently installing various stuff on it..

There is no screen bleed or anything like that.. Now I just have to test it and see, if it actually stays cool and quiet like it should :rolleyes:

I will update it later or tomorrow.

Let us know if all your issues are fixed, especially the speaker issue.

Sagi
12-16-2014, 07:56 AM
So.. This is a small feedback on my RMA experience.

A few weeks ago I shipped my G751JY off to repair using the RMA service - After 2 weeks nothing had happend, so I contacted the retailer and told them about my situation. After a few emails back and forward, they agreed to give me a new replacement.

I got it yesterday and I was actually happy to see, that there was NO SCREEN BLEED at all - The only way to see it, is when you close / open the lid (because of the flex) So that was perfect!

Everything ran like it should and once I had done the BIOS / driver update I did a recovery backup using ASUS backtracker.

After that I decided to replace the 7200rpm HDD with my SSD (like I did on my previous G751JY) AND THEN THE SAME GOD DAMN THING HAPPEND!
... Again one of those screws holding the HDD bay was impossible to get out. I had to remove the "arm" from the bay again, like I did on the previous one.

And like this wasn't bad enough, as I was removing the screws holding the bay - 1 of them slipped of the screwdriver and fell down in the small opening there is next to it.. I tried everything to get it out!

NO LUCK WITH THAT..

I shacked it a bit, to see if I could get it out somewhere else.. But instead it just ended up getting stuck somewhere (got no clue where) And now I'm not sure if I should return it for ANOTHER rma.. Just to get that fixed?!

I didn't do any prime95 or furmark tests.. Instead I raided for 3 hours and had MSI afterburner / HWinfo64 tracking the temperatures.

GPU was running at 66-75c with a max peak of 84c.
CPU was running at 60-70c with a max peak of 80c.

My only concern atm is that stupid screw.. I don't know what I should do about it - When I shake the laptop I can't hear it anymore, so it's stuck somewhere inside of the laptop.

Anyway, I'll run some BF4 later to check up on the temperatures .. But it actually seems like I got a perfectly fine laptop this time (except for low quality on the screws they use).

A little sidenote:

Touchpad is slightly loose (there was a gap in the corner) However, I pushed it down and I hope it will stay there for now. The reponse time wasn't great either - The previous G751Jy had a waaaaay better touchpad.
Not to mention the keys.. They seem loose as well and don't always respond when clicking it.. This is not an major issue, since I hardly ever use it.

PS. Speakers seems to be oki (still a lot of sound coming from the sub) but the left and right speakers are playing as well.