PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 Update + USB disconnection

djtee
11-30-2014, 10:22 PM
The other day Windows updated itself automatically to 8.1, since then my USB ports have been automatically dropping out, its as if they are losing power. I have noticed it only happens when what ever is connected is not in use so for example if I am watching something off my external hard drive it will work fine but after stops and I start doing something which doesn't affect the HD it will drop out then reconnect. I think the constant disconnections has started damaging my HD.

Any advice on this would be a great help. Thanks in advanced.

RAM-disk
11-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Windows updates were causing so many problems on my rig I finally turned it off completely. I was getting sick of the constant huge updates in the hundreds of meg's, totally ridicules. Windows 8/8.1/10 ( which really is just 8.1 with an ugly start menu ) are half baked OS's. As soon as I pick up a SSD I'm gonna be back on Win7.

Probably can't undo those updates, system restore ( hopefully it's turned on) if not you might have to refresh the system.

hmscott
12-01-2014, 04:43 AM
Going without security and bugfixes isn't a good idea.

But, turning off automatic updates and investigating what is getting updated before installing is a good idea. These huge updates are roll ups of various individual patches, and sometimes a bad one comes through, like this USB disconnect bug, and the black screen bug.

I hate wasting space with system restore points, but with all the patching issues, I have it on to roll-back in case something gets fudged up.

You can uninstall the updates, go into Programs and Features, and list the updates to uninstall, I have 165 such updates right now:

When you run into a problem, check the Windows update history for latest patches, dig in and find a related patch, and uninstall and reboot to see if the problem goes away. You may need to roll-back several sets of patches if you didn't notice the problem right away.

Usually Windows updates happen in the early hours on Tuesday mornings US PST, at least here in the US. So Tuesday morning is when I look at the updates and decide what to let install. Most of the time I do all the updates, and note what general fixes there are for so I can be aware of what might fail later in the day.

Again, please don't go without updates, it isn't safe - security holes need to be updated immediately to avoid time consuming recovery and loss of privacy and $.

When you narrow down the patch roll-up, and even better, the individual patch that is causing the USB disconnects please update here, but also start a new Thread with USB Disconnect Source and Solution, or some such, in the title.

Good luck