PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G751 overclock screen refresh rate to 75hz+, quick and easy!

Richdog
12-02-2014, 12:15 PM
As a point of interest for some people, I easily managed to overclock my refresh rate to 75hz by setting a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel. I will see how much futher it can comfortably go later in the week, but has definitely led to a perceived increase in smoothness. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those 120hz maniacs, but I think it certainly doesn't hurt to give the 980m some legroom and increase gaming smoothness where possible, especially when it's as easy as a few clicks!

So yeah, just go into Nvidia control panel, set a custom resolution and refresh rate (start at 75hz and then go up maybe in 5hz increments from there), and enjoy! :)

EDIT - Here is a link to a Youtube video explaining how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlERjmkBoHg

pit_ns
12-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Can that damage the screen? Are there any drawbacks to set it to 75hz?

If it can work at 75hz, why it doesn't use it by default?

Richdog
12-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Can that damage the screen? Are there any drawbacks to set it to 75hz?

If it can work at 75hz, why it doesn't use it by default?

Within a certain range it "should" be fine and non-harmful, but like any overclocking, you do this at your own risk, I take no responsibility for anything you do to your own machine. As for why it doesn't run at 75hz be default, well obviously this is because it is outside of the manufacturers default specifications. :)

tului
12-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Or it was beyond what Asus was willing to pay for panels rated at 75Hz. Regardless, ymmv. How much of an improvement did you notice? Back in the CRT days going from 60Hz to 75+ was very noticeable.

joshindaphils
12-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Got a 100Hz steady "OC" on my panel. Window and mouse movement is greatly enhanced. Appears as though not all games recognize the custom profile. Used Fraps and enabled v-sync to determine the refresh rate in game, Borderlands 2 gave 60FPS, though BioShock Infinite delivered 100FPS so it would seam that the benefit will depend on the game / engine used for now or Borderlands 2 has a hard 60FPS cap.

I have had no ill effects driving the panel at this rate. When I tried 110 and 120 hertz the panel went black and the testing / trial time didn't expire, had to reboot to get the screen back.

Richdog
12-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Got a 100Hz steady "OC" on my panel. Window and mouse movement is greatly enhanced. Appears as though not all games recognize the custom profile. Used Fraps and enabled v-sync to determine the refresh rate in game, Borderlands 2 gave 60FPS, though BioShock Infinite delivered 100FPS so it would seam that the benefit will depend on the game / engine used for now or Borderlands 2 has a hard 60FPS cap.

I have had no ill effects driving the panel at this rate. When I tried 110 and 120 hertz the panel went black and the testing / trial time didn't expire, had to reboot to get the screen back.

Yeah, some games are simply hard-coded to specific refresh rates... in which case it just means you w ill get a steady 60 and no more. The fact you got to 100hz is VERY impressive! :eek:

Will test how far min egoes tonight. :D

andreacos92
12-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Thank you guys for your tests. :)
Going from 60 Hz to 75/80 Hz should be a noticeable improvement.. 100 Hz is very high for a native 60 Hz IPS panel.

Richdog
12-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Thank you guys for your tests. :)
Going from 60 Hz to 75/80 Hz should be a noticeable improvement.. 100 Hz is very high for a native 60 Hz IPS panel.

it is very high... but if it proves to be stable in the long-run then it's all good. :)

Richdog
12-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Well, I overclocked the screen to 100hz and it works a treat... so yeah, I now have a 100hz IPS screen. Pretty awesome when you think about it. :D

May try 120hz but I don't want to push my luck... :p

CoryBee
12-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Well, I overclocked the screen to 100hz and it works a treat... so yeah, I now have a 100hz IPS screen. Pretty awesome when you think about it. :D

May try 120hz but I don't want to push my luck... :p

Thank you for testing this. Please keep us posted if you notice any issues with this. Flickering or glowing or anything at all. Especially keep an eye out for "image persistence".

Also, how is the gaming at 100hz on the laptop compared?

Cheers!

_
12-04-2014, 02:14 AM
Or it was beyond what Asus was willing to pay for panels rated at 75Hz. Regardless, ymmv. How much of an improvement did you notice? Back in the CRT days going from 60Hz to 75+ was very noticeable.

You're referencing different things. CRTs scanned one pixel at a time, left to right, top to bottom, whereas LCDs update the entire display at once. If you see it flickering it could be PWM backlight flicker, which can be offset sometimes by turning up the brightness.

It's less what we're willing to pay - for a gaming display of course we want to fit faster stuff as you - the TA - want to buy it. But IPS that RELIABLY run at over 60Hz are extremely few and far between. Like overclocking CPUs, you play the silicon lottery. You might be fine for a while, but it can degrade its life to some degree or you might get pixel inversion/color reproduction issues trying to refresh it too fast. To guarantee that as a feature is extremely difficult because every display we buy must produce the correct result, for the life of the device in ~3 years time. Part of what you pay for is that qualification of components.

_
12-04-2014, 07:47 AM
I just learnt some more this afternoon.

The display ASIC needs to have enough data channels to support high refresh rates: the whole panel needs to be redesigned to accommodate the extra wiring, which is obviously expensive and quite space limited in notebooks as construction of IPS/MVA displays is different to simpler TNs. As far as I understand the actual display manufacturer will help qualify certain display ASIC's to match their panel specs, which is why overclocking is limited HOWEVER with more ASIC's supporting WQHD/4K resolutions, OCing FHD panels is becoming easier from the electrical signal perspective.. although the actual LCD (amorphous silicon) speed is another problem. I'm not sure if 15" 4K panels are LTPS or IGZO, which greatly improves pixel response, but then you're already at 4K so don't have enough bandwidth to go faster than 60Hz with eDP1.2. You won't get an LTPS/IGZO FHD display because it's an uncompetitive expense.

Richdog
12-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Thank you for testing this. Please keep us posted if you notice any issues with this. Flickering or glowing or anything at all. Especially keep an eye out for "image persistence".

Also, how is the gaming at 100hz on the laptop compared?

Cheers!

I did a nintense Skyrim gaming session last night and zero problems whatsoever, seems 100% stable. Areas where I can get 100hz (interiors mainly) are super silky smooth vs 60hz... but then it is almost double the framerate!

You're referencing different things. CRTs scanned one pixel at a time, left to right, top to bottom, whereas LCDs update the entire display at once. If you see it flickering it could be PWM backlight flicker, which can be offset sometimes by turning up the brightness.

It's less what we're willing to pay - for a gaming display of course we want to fit faster stuff as you - the TA - want to buy it. But IPS that RELIABLY run at over 60Hz are extremely few and far between. Like overclocking CPUs, you play the silicon lottery. You might be fine for a while, but it can degrade its life to some degree or you might get pixel inversion/color reproduction issues trying to refresh it too fast. To guarantee that as a feature is extremely difficult because every display we buy must produce the correct result, for the life of the device in ~3 years time. Part of what you pay for is that qualification of components.

As far as I am concerned, ASUS have provided a 60hz IPS panel, which is within normal specifications for panels of this type. This panel has then now been seen to overclock reliably (thus far) to 100hz, giving us a speed comparable to 120hz TN monitors.

The fact the monitors are even capable of this 80% overclock mean that ASUS have nothing to apologise for within this specific instance (lots more to apologise for in other areas though), it's a great and unexpected situation. I have a 100hz IPS panel, woo!

viper3000
12-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Where I can overclock screen panel. I have had G75VW with 120HZ and now i have G751 with 60MHz. I would like at least 80Mhz. Post picture please.

Richdog
12-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Where I can overclock screen panel. I have had G75VW with 120HZ and now i have G751 with 60MHz. I would like at least 80Mhz. Post picture please.

Use Nvidia control panel to set a custom resolution. there are plenty of guides on the internet if you do a quick Google (so no need for me to re-write them), and if you are going to significantly adjust settings like this then I think it makes sense it is best to do a little research yourself so as to understand the potential impact of what you are doing. I may add a link in the OP to a guide. :)

EDIT - Here is a link to a Youtube video explaining how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlERjmkBoHg

Exostenza
12-25-2014, 05:43 AM
How has your monitor held up with the overclock? I;d like an update please!

BRSxIgnition
12-25-2014, 06:17 AM

I second this request - if you could do this, it'd be great.

Exostenza
12-25-2014, 06:22 AM
I decided to set mine to 75hz the other day and it seems to be fine for now, but I am afraid of the consequences that could arise. Also, I have noticed that after upgrading to the latest nVidia driver my native resolution is 1920x1080 75hz and I have to make a custom resolution to get back 60hz. Strange!

joshindaphils
12-25-2014, 10:05 AM

Been running mine at 100Hz 24/7 since the 3rd, still rock solid.

Exostenza
12-26-2014, 12:36 AM
Been running mine at 100Hz 24/7 since the 3rd, still rock solid.

Thanks for the update!

I'll stick to 75hz for now, but it is nice to know someone out there is doing 100hz. Crazy!

2menijulia
02-16-2015, 12:08 PM
wilk this be ok with the CH71 model? because it has 970 and not the 980 nvidia card

Xehanort
02-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Mine actually came at 75Hz, so for those of you afraid to set it at that refresh rate there's no need to worry.

As for 100, I guess it's up to whoever has the balls to take the risk. I'll keep it at 75Hz, exactly how it came, simply because 60fps is more than enough for me...and I don't have the balls to do it xD

2menijulia
02-17-2015, 10:53 AM
me too..when i checked..it was already set @ 75Hz..be keeping like this for now then :D

Sagi
02-17-2015, 04:26 PM
75Hz is custom after the lastest nvidia update - This update was released like 1 month ago.

d0r1n
02-17-2015, 05:16 PM
not everyone has 75....i have only 60 like most of the people,only a few have been lucky with a 75

sohaltang40
02-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Mine came at 75. Never thought about trying to OC it as most games cant hit 100FPS anyway.

Richdog
02-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Mine actually came at 75Hz, so for those of you afraid to set it at that refresh rate there's no need to worry.

As for 100, I guess it's up to whoever has the balls to take the risk. I'll keep it at 75Hz, exactly how it came, simply because 60fps is more than enough for me...and I don't have the balls to do it xD

There is little to no risk... if it is too high it will reset. it will not permanently damage the screen, and almost everyone I have spoken to can reach 90-100hz..

bahiista
02-18-2015, 05:41 PM
after updating the vga drive, i was able to customize my screen...setting up to 75Hz and was happy :)

d0r1n
02-20-2015, 08:31 PM
setting up to 100hz does harmful the monitor?

i tested and saw that it can go to 104hz,and 105 up it goes black

joshindaphils
02-21-2015, 07:15 AM
setting up to 100hz does harmful the monitor?

i tested and saw that it can go to 104hz,and 105 up it goes black

Been running mine at 100Hz since Nov. I've had no issues at all. Only 100Hz buttery goodness. I can't testify what will happen long term, anytime you drive something faster than spec'ed there is an additional risk. Regarding running these screens at 100Hz, I personally view it as a nominal and acceptable risk.

Exostenza
02-21-2015, 03:59 PM
I have been running 100hz for well over a month now with not a single issue and I have been gaming a lot since I just had two small vacations over the last month and a bit. I can't tell you guys that it won't cause you problems, but it hasn't caused me a single issue.

frewi
02-21-2015, 06:53 PM
On a G74SX-BBK7 - GTX 560M (2gb ver)/EDID 1.3 rock'in up to 120Hz on windows 7/8.1 64bit but wen't back to 75Hz due to a grey screen on resume from sleep on windows 8.1(ended up booting into safe mode and re-setting the gfx drivers) sadly i haven't try'ed it again on win 7 anyway 120Hz i had it for awhile but sadly no gaming has i didn't have games installed then :( although now i'm gonna test nfs rivals with 120Hz wish me luck and my old AE86-GTS type laptop compared to you lambo's and ferrari's and etc type laptops

edit - seems windows 8.1 hates 120hz on my monitor ..:P but anyway i'm going to try 100 then

edit 2 - nope nothing seems it's one of those games where refresh rate doesn't matter also trying 120Hz on win 7 was rockin although i thought i did it once on windows 8.1 once ..might have been a dream

i found where nvidia keeps decrypted drivers - not hard place to miss too anyways i'm going to see what customizations i can do Windows/System32/Drivers - Only for those who feel that are up to the task of modding there drivers! hidden has warning

JesseKHarms
05-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Just got my new J751 bumped her up to 75 straight away. Coming from a ROG Swift at 144Hz this looks okay. Are you guys all using the modded G-Sync drivers on your notebooks?

diogogmaio
05-07-2015, 04:06 PM
It's not to blurry and darker the 75hz? it's safe? what are the advantages? in g751jy i feel a bit of ghosting in laptop monitor. external monitor is fine but the laptop lg ips seems a bit blurry in movement and darker. Also i have the icc asus g751jy from the splendid driver enabled on my color calibration as default state. I already started other threads. I went back and forth with drivers going from 75hz to 60 and also 90 and i don't know why it seems dark and blurry when stuff is moving like players in cs go. Could you guys upload a video of performance in any of these games: BF4, CS go or FIFA
Thankss

JesseKHarms
05-07-2015, 04:25 PM
It's not to blurry and darker the 75hz? it's safe? what are the advantages? in g751jy i feel a bit of ghosting in laptop monitor. external monitor is fine but the laptop lg ips seems a bit blurry in movement and darker. Also i have the icc asus g751jy from the splendid driver enabled on my color calibration as default state. I already started other threads. I went back and forth with drivers going from 75hz to 60 and also 90 and i don't know why it seems dark and blurry when stuff is moving like players in cs go. Could you guys upload a video of performance in any of these games: BF4, CS go or FIFA
Thankss

Mine seems fine man at 75Hz I am going for 100hz shortly.

Quick question, on my box it states I have an LED-FHD WV, is that IPS or are there 2 different variations to the screen for this notebook?

diogogmaio
05-07-2015, 06:05 PM
What driver are you using? asus or nvidia?

challenger1
05-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Might this work with my G751 JT with the Nvidia 970 graphics? On my own decision of course!

AQUASTEVAE
05-11-2015, 12:18 AM
been running at 100hz for a while now, and haven't seen any noticeable problems. everything seems to be running very well.

rmbruntz
06-23-2015, 12:16 PM
been running at 100hz for a while now, and haven't seen any noticeable problems. everything seems to be running very well.

How long have you been running it this way?

Also curious to see whether the old posts are still doing well - 6 months of 100hz would be enough to convince me.

werty0822
06-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Is it possible for g751jt 970m 3gb

joshindaphils
06-23-2015, 12:55 PM
How long have you been running it this way?

Also curious to see whether the old posts are still doing well - 6 months of 100hz would be enough to convince me.

Running up on 7 months here at 100Hz. Been rock solid.

rmbruntz
06-24-2015, 05:55 AM
Running up on 7 months here at 100Hz. Been rock solid.

I tried bumping my RR up to 100hz, and the only downside I've noticed is that when I exit a fullscreen game (CSGO, for example), the screen will flash a multicolor display before going back to Windows instead of staying black like it does on 60. Is this something that should worry me, or just standard behavior?

joshindaphils
06-24-2015, 11:08 AM
I tried bumping my RR up to 100hz, and the only downside I've noticed is that when I exit a fullscreen game (CSGO, for example), the screen will flash a multicolor display before going back to Windows instead of staying black like it does on 60. Is this something that should worry me, or just standard behavior?

Don't know if it is worrying or not... but I do not experience this behavior. It could be game related... I've only been bouncing between a handful of games since I've purchased the laptop CS:GO is not one of them, it could be game related.

rmbruntz
06-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Don't know if it is worrying or not... but I do not experience this behavior. It could be game related... I've only been bouncing between a handful of games since I've purchased the laptop CS:GO is not one of them, it could be game related.

I've investigated a bit more, and it seems it was more of a problem with CS:GO than with the 100hz. Do you remember experiencing anything like this when initially changing from 60 to 100 hz?

joshindaphils
06-24-2015, 07:47 PM
I've investigated a bit more, and it seems it was more of a problem with CS:GO than with the 100hz. Do you remember experiencing anything like this when initially changing from 60 to 100 hz?

Nope.

rmbruntz
06-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Nope.

So when you initially switched it from 60 to 100, it was just a black screen for a moment while it changed? This worries me then, maybe I have some messed up hardware/software and shouldn't be OCing

Exostenza
06-24-2015, 10:51 PM

It sounds like CSGO is taking you out of 100hz and then when you return to your desktop you are returning to 100hz. When I clean install a new driver and need to switch back from 60 to 100hz I get a black screen and then some purple stuff on the screen. This only happens when I do the clean driver install and never from going in or out of a game. I have been running 100hz for over 6 months now and I haven't had a single issue with it.

joshindaphils
06-25-2015, 12:26 PM
So when you initially switched it from 60 to 100, it was just a black screen for a moment while it changed? This worries me then, maybe I have some messed up hardware/software and shouldn't be OCing

Yes when switching modes the screen goes black. I was just attempting to convey that I have yet to notice any color artifacts when switching between games.

direkJay
08-10-2015, 02:30 AM
Is it possible for g751jt 970m 3gb

it should be I'm running 75Hz fine on a G751JL-DS71 with only a GTX965M 2GB

JarnoM
09-21-2015, 11:24 PM
So far have got G751JT panel to run 110Mhz, anything over it results black screen and reboot required.
Think im going to stick to either 90Mhz or 100Mhz OC on panel.

Laptop is otherwise fantastic oc'er anyway, GTX970M hitting 12hour Unigine Valley stable 1580Mhz core.

xXNEMESIXx
09-22-2015, 04:44 AM
So...I do have the model with gsync...will over clocking the hz give problems with gsync, considering that it goes with the refresh rate of the monitor?

GrizzlyLewy
12-11-2015, 03:54 PM
So far have got G751JT panel to run 110Mhz, anything over it results black screen and reboot required.
Think im going to stick to either 90Mhz or 100Mhz OC on panel.

Laptop is otherwise fantastic oc'er anyway, GTX970M hitting 12hour Unigine Valley stable 1580Mhz core.
only 1580 core? or memory also ?

Geryy3
01-17-2016, 10:39 PM
has anyone had a problem with using overclocked screen and gpu/cpu for long time use?thank