PDA

View Full Version : G751JT-CH71 Asus Backtracker to SSD problem

bennychuck
12-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Hi, I have purchased a G751JT-CH71 and it works great. After a few days, I decided to upgrade to an SSD and bought a Samsung EVO 840 250gb MZ-7TE250BW.

Here is what I did:
1. I downloaded Asus Backtracker after reading these forums.
2. I installed Asus Backtracker on a Sansdisk Cruzer 32gb thumb drive that I just bought that is usb 3.0 and 2.0 compatible.
3. I returned my factory HDD to factory default using the Backtracker off my thumb drive without issue to make sure the thumb drive would read appropriately.
4. I then uninstalled my HDD drive and installed my new SSD drive into the bay that the HDD drive had come out of.
5. I plugged my thumb drive in along with the newly installed SSD drive and powered up.
6. Asus Backtracker started up but then gave me an error that it could not read from the USB thumb drive.

In summation, the USB thumb drive with Backtracker worked fine for the factory HDD to restore to factory default but it will not work on my Samsung EVO 840.

Is this an issue with the thumb drive or is it an issue with the SSD? My laptop still works fine with the HDD drive.

I tried to clone the OS from the HDD to the SSD using Samsung Magic. That worked but then I wanted to make sure the USB factory restore would work on it. It did not work there either.

Any thoughts on what I can do next?

tului
12-02-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm guessing you've tried several USB ports?

hmscott
12-03-2014, 02:50 AM
bennychuck, is that the physically small Sandisk 32GB with Orange accents and the slide out USB connector? It didn't work for me either. It was the first one I tried as I had it already. It's weird it would work to reset the original HDD, but failed to work on the SSD - for me I only tried the SSD restore.

It was lucky the restore worked on your original HDD when you tried it. If it had failed the restore program would have erased your HDD partitions before failing and you would have been stuck without an OS... that is why I recommend testing on another drive and to keep the original HDD out of the laptop when you restore to the new SSD, as the restore program erases and repartitions all the drives it finds during a restore before partitioning all internal drives and restoring to the new drive.

Some USB flash drives don't work right for the SSD cloning, I have no idea why that is, but it seems if you get newer USB 3.0 flash drives they work fine. I have used my Sony USB drives, USB 2.0 16GB, USB 3.0 16GB and USB 3.0 32GB and all 3 restored to my Samsung 840 Pro 512GB in my G750JW/JX/JH, and to the factory 2 x 128GB M.2 SATA drives in my G750JH.

Glad the cloning worked, and that your original HDD is still working. You can try a couple of new USB 3.0 16BG flash drives to find one that works - but remember to keep your original HDD out of the laptop during restore testing :)

ammar.2520
12-03-2014, 04:49 AM
Hi, I have purchased a G751JT-CH71 and it works great. After a few days, I decided to upgrade to an SSD and bought a Samsung EVO 840 250gb MZ-7TE250BW.

Here is what I did:
2. I installed Asus Backtracker on a Sansdisk Cruzer 32gb thumb drive that I just bought that is usb 3.0 and 2.0 compatible.
3. I returned my factory HDD to factory default using the Backtracker off my thumb drive without issue to make sure the thumb drive would read appropriately.
4. I then uninstalled my HDD drive and installed my new SSD drive into the bay that the HDD drive had come out of.
5. I plugged my thumb drive in along with the newly installed SSD drive and powered up.
6. Asus Backtracker started up but then gave me an error that it could not read from the USB thumb drive.

In summation, the USB thumb drive with Backtracker worked fine for the factory HDD to restore to factory default but it will not work on my Samsung EVO 840.

Is this an issue with the thumb drive or is it an issue with the SSD? My laptop still works fine with the HDD drive.

I tried to clone the OS from the HDD to the SSD using Samsung Magic. That worked but then I wanted to make sure the USB factory restore would work on it. It did not work there either.

bennychuck, is that the physically small Sandisk 32GB with Orange accents and the slide out USB connector? It didn't work for me either. It was the first one I tried as I had it already. It's weird it would work to reset the original HDD, but failed to work on the SSD - for me I only tried the SSD restore.

It was lucky the restore worked on your original HDD when you tried it. If it had failed the restore program would have erased your HDD partitions before failing and you would have been stuck without an OS... that is why I recommend testing on another drive and to keep the original HDD out of the laptop when you restore to the new SSD, as the restore program erases and repartitions all the drives it finds during a restore before partitioning all internal drives and restoring to the new drive.

Some USB flash drives don't work right for the SSD cloning, I have no idea why that is, but it seems if you get newer USB 3.0 flash drives they work fine. I have used my Sony USB drives, USB 2.0 16GB, USB 3.0 16GB and USB 3.0 32GB and all 3 restored to my Samsung 840 Pro 512GB in my G750JW/JX/JH, and to the factory 2 x 128GB M.2 SATA drives in my G750JH.

Glad the cloning worked, and that your original HDD is still working. You can try a couple of new USB 3.0 16BG flash drives to find one that works - but remember to keep your original HDD out of the laptop during restore testing :)

hi,
my laptop is same as yours ,I've done exactly as you did and, I've successfully created a recovery media on a 32GB USB device, and i did like (hmscott) advised me previously,but the result is the same.
Tried several USB 3.0&2.0 flash drives on all USB ports on laptop,and 2 different SSD (EVO 840 & SANDISK ULTRA ii) but all attempts failed.
And showed me the same error.....
please help us!!!!!

hmscott
12-03-2014, 05:54 AM
hi,
my laptop is same as yours ,I've done exactly as you did and, I've successfully created a recovery media on a 32GB USB device, and i did like (hmscott) advised me previously,but the result is the same.
Tried several USB 3.0&2.0 flash drives on all USB ports on laptop,and 2 different SSD (EVO 840 & SANDISK ULTRA ii) but all attempts failed.
And showed me the same error.....
please help us!!!!!

ammar, can you please pick a thread to get answers? You are in two threads now. I will answer here, and post a link back to my answer here.

What version of Backtracker are you using?

Here is the latest Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

The latest version is 3.07, if that version doesn't work, it should, but you can try a rev or 2 back.

There have been problems with newer G5xx laptops reported, but so far most G751's have reported success. Generally the failure is due to the USB thumb drive, a new one works.

If you are frustrated and it isn't working, you need to contact Auss and let them know the same info you posted here, and ask for help generating a backup. Then please post here what the fix is. There may need to be an updated Asus Backtracker version to fix the cases like yours that don't work - or it might be the USB flash drive.

These work for me with my G750JH and restoring to HDD, Samsung Pro 840 SSD, and 2 x 128GB RAID0 SSD:

http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Sony-Micro-Vault-Mach-USB-30-16GB/Rating/1300

http://www.amazon.com/16GB-Micro-Vault-Whi-USM16GM/dp/B0049XHRZA/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-5&keywords=sony+usb+2.0+16gb

But, if a software update is needed to Backtracker to support the G5xx and G751 you will need to pursue that as well.

Until then use a cloning program like Macrium Reflect Free to clone to the new drive from the original HDD, and put the original HDD aside until you can make a Backtracker recovery flash drive back up that works. HDD's are pretty inexpensive, and much faster / larger drives are available, putting the original HDD aside is your recovery backup for now.

You can reach Asus here:

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with clearly stated details as to the problem and expected solution, attache a zip file with photos, images, audio, video to the Technical Inquiry.

Asus Feedback:
http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm/Complain

Main Contact Us page:
http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx

Here is an earlier post with more info:

ASUS Backtracker failed to read from usb when imaging SSD
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51237-ASUS-Backtracker-failed-to-read-from-usb-when-imaging-SSD&p=433417&viewfull=1#post433417

Please come back and let us know how Asus treats you and what solution finally works for you. :)

ammar.2520
12-03-2014, 06:15 AM
ammar, can you please pick a thread to get answers? You are in two threads now. I will answer here, and post a link back to my answer here.

What version of Backtracker are you using?

i used latest Asus Backtracker version is 3.07

Here is the latest Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

The latest version is 3.07, if that version doesn't work, it should, but you can try a rev or 2 back.

ok,will try.

There have been problems with newer G5xx laptops reported, but so far most G751's have reported success. Generally the failure is due to the USB thumb drive, a new one works.

If you are frustrated and it isn't working, you need to contact Auss and let them know the same info you posted here, and ask for help generating a backup. Then please post here what the fix is. There may need to be an updated Asus Backtracker version to fix the cases like yours that don't work - or it might be the USB flash drive.

These work for me with my G750JH and restoring to HDD, Samsung Pro 840 SSD, and 2 x 128GB RAID0 SSD:

http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Sony-Micro-Vault-Mach-USB-30-16GB/Rating/1300

http://www.amazon.com/16GB-Micro-Vault-Whi-USM16GM/dp/B0049XHRZA/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-5&keywords=sony+usb+2.0+16gb

But, if a software update is needed to Backtracker to support the G5xx and G751 you will need to pursue that as well.

Until then use a cloning program like Macrium Reflect Free to clone to the new drive from the original HDD, and put the original HDD aside until you can make a Backtracker recovery flash drive back up that works. HDD's are pretty inexpensive, and much faster / larger drives are available, putting the original HDD aside is your recovery backup for now.

ok, thanks

You can reach Asus here:

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with clearly stated details as to the problem and expected solution, attache a zip file with photos, images, audio, video to the Technical Inquiry.

Asus Feedback:
http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm/Complain

Main Contact Us page:
http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx

Please come back and let us know how Asus treats you and what solution finally works for you. :)

here the 32 gb USB I used

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Transfer-Speeds-s-SDCZ48-032G-UAM46/dp/B00KYK2AKO/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417587226&sr=1-16&keywords=sandisk

hmscott
12-03-2014, 06:23 AM
here the 32 gb USB I used

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Transfer-Speeds-s-SDCZ48-032G-UAM46/dp/B00KYK2AKO/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417587226&sr=1-16&keywords=sandisk

ammar, I would think that one would have worked too, it's newly listed on Amazon:
Date first available at Amazon.com: June 1, 2014

Be sure and report the ones you have tried and failed to Asus when you file the Technical Inquiry and Feedback.

I wish I could make it work for you :)

Until it is working, preserve the HDD, and clone to the new SSD, that and filing the bug with Asus are the best I can offer from here now.

I updated the post above with this info as well:

ASUS Backtracker failed to read from usb when imaging SSD
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51237-ASUS-Backtracker-failed-to-read-from-usb-when-imaging-SSD&p=433417&viewfull=1#post433417

ARX7Arbalest
12-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Can someone share their image of the Recovery Partition or an image of the recovery software for the G751JT-CH71? My brother wiped the whole HDD drive after cloning the OS to my SSD. Can't find the Recovery Partition on the HDD or the SSD. Or does anyone know where I can get it?

bennychuck
12-03-2014, 02:55 PM
The sansdisk one i tried is the red and black one. The bigger one. I went and bought the only other one Best Buy had at the moment, due to Black Friday, it is a PNY 32gb. One of the small ones. It works backing up the HDD as well but not the SSD. I get the same error as ammar got. I've tried all 4 USB ports. I will try a few more USB's. I've also tried a few different versions of Backtracker. It is wierd that it will work just fine for the HDD but not the SSD.

bennychuck
12-03-2014, 06:50 PM
I have tried the Sandiski Cruzer Glide 2.0/3.0 32gb. The Sandisk 3.0 Ultra 16gb. And the PNY 2.0 32gb. None of those have worked for me. I have used all four USB ports when attempting with each one. I have also used the most recent Backtracker as well as vs 3.06 and 3.04. Again, these all work just fine doing a factory restore on my factory HDD but they do not work on my Samsung 840 EVO SSD. I get the error that the USB is not reading properly. Which seems weird because the USB light is flashing like it is reading and Backtracker has started up. So I know the computer is reading the USB at some level. At this point I'm just going to clone my HDD to my SSD and keep the factory HDD to the side. I'll buy a new HDD and run that with the SSD. If I spend any more money on thumb drives, I will spend more than just buying a new HDD.

I also know my computer is reading the Samsung EVO 840 fine because I have cloned onto it and have run the OS from it.

Weagle
12-03-2014, 07:45 PM
I too tried multiple times to use Backtracker with my Samsung EVO 250GB SSD. After successfully restoring to a 500GB drive I had laying around from the same USB, I have a theory that the 250GB drive is too small for the restore to work. If you look at the EVO after failure, there are three partitions on the SSD. I believe the recovery partition is too small to contain the restoration data from the USB. Again this is just a theory. I gave up and installed Windows 8 fresh from a USB stick. The Windows 8 key is stored in the bios and activation was automatic.

ammar.2520
12-03-2014, 08:32 PM
It seems like Asus force us to buy 1800$ with SSD version. And lock this for ssd upgrades.

bennychuck
12-03-2014, 08:32 PM
But i know of at least one person on these forums who has gotten the 840 evo to work. I think it was the 250gb. But i also do think there is something to what you say. There is some issue with the SSD. I have messed around with reformatting the 840 EVO in different ways and may continue messing with this. I've only used windows disc management so I still have to try deleting the partitions on the 840 EVO and see if that helps.

Note: I used diskpart to delete the recovery partition on my 840 EVO SSD so now I have one big partition and then the 100mb partition. Still not loading onto disc. I will try some other options.

bennychuck
12-03-2014, 09:41 PM
I have submitted a ticket to ASUS stating this: I have a new G751JT-CH71 that has been running well. after a few days of use, I decided I wanted to install an SSD. I bought a Samsung 840 EVO 250gb. I downloaded the newest version of Asus Backtracker on to a USB thumb drive and restored my HDD to factory default successfully. I then removed my HDD and installed the SSD into the same bay. I powered up with the SSD and the USB plugged in. Backtracker started up and then gave me an error of failed to read the USB storage device. System recovery failed. I have tried three different USB thumb drives with two of them being brand new 3.0 USB. All of these have worked perfectly to restore the HDD to factory default but they will not work on the SSD i bought. I have reformated the SSD drive several times and in several different ways to no avail. I have used the thumb drives in all 4 usb ports on the computer with no success. I have also used two older versions of Backtracker. I know the SSD drive works fine and is read by the computer because I cloned the HDD to the SSD and the SSD ran the computer fine. However, it still would not work with the USB factory default. I would like to be able to get the SSD to work with Backtracker so I don't have to buy another HDD drive.

hmscott
12-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Guys, there may be something to the size of the SSD involved. Your HDD was a 1TB that was used to create the Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive. Others have restored to a 1TB Evo drive successfully. You might try taking back the 256GB and pop for the 1TB, only another $150?

If you cloned from the 1TB to the 256GB you needed human intervention to resize the partitions from the 1TB to the 256GB, maybe the restore program can't quite handle that.

Although I have restored to my G750JH 2 x 128Gb RAID0 which is 256GB, it was also the source for the creation of my Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive, so that makes a kind of size to size sense too.

256GB SSD is small for a boot/C drive, I am constantly pushing installs to my Samsung 512GB 2nd bay drive. More space is better, especially with all those holiday Steam sales.

Update: Now that I think back. I created a Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive from my G750JX 1TB HDD and restored to my Samsung 840 Pro 512GB, so a 512GB might work for you too.

Although the Samsung 850 Pro is now out, the 840 Pro is still fast, and now the 512GB model is only $289!! That's only a little more than 1/2 what I paid, and less than the 850 Pro 512GB costs, here are links to both.

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147194&Tpk=N82E16820147194

SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147194&Tpk=N82E16820147194

The nice thing about the Samsung 850 Pro is the longer warranty 10yr vs 5yr, and you can get it in the 1TB size. And, don't forget the new buzz-worthy 3D V-NAND technology.

The Evo isn't as fast in raw performance as the 840/850 Pro's, and the warranty is only 3yr, that's why it costs less, but it is still fast enough.

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249

Please come back and let us know what works for you.

Update: it looks like it is likely still incompatible USB flash drives causing the problem, and not the size of the restored SSD, see post below. If you only need a 256GB SSD, then it has worked for restore, for example this guy did it, he says he has a 250GB SSD in his first post:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53672-Help!-Backtracker-just-bricked-my-G751JT-CH71&p=454979&viewfull=1#post454979

kobby2k6
12-04-2014, 05:30 PM
I too tried multiple times to use Backtracker with my Samsung EVO 250GB SSD. After successfully restoring to a 500GB drive I had laying around from the same USB, I have a theory that the 250GB drive is too small for the restore to work. If you look at the EVO after failure, there are three partitions on the SSD. I believe the recovery partition is too small to contain the restoration data from the USB. Again this is just a theory. I gave up and installed Windows 8 fresh from a USB stick. The Windows 8 key is stored in the bios and activation was automatic.

I have the 1TB evo in my G750JM and I used the samsung migration tool to clone the original HDD to the Samsung SSD when I first got it back in June. Haven't had a single issue but I have a backtracker backup to a flash drive but never tried it.

ammar.2520
12-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Hi.
No news for this problem?

bennychuck
12-05-2014, 02:35 PM
I haven't got a response from ASUS yet. I returned the SSD to Best Buy because of what I am reading about it not being big enough. Remember, I had a 250gb Samsung EVO 840. I am going to find a bigger SSD and go from there.

yizzle
12-06-2014, 02:32 AM
I just received me g751jt and Samsung evo 840 500gb today and attempted to use backtracker to swap out the hdd with the sdd. I had the same problem as you. I had read this post and others like it and hoped that maybe it would work with the 500gb but alas it did not. I am now downloading the trial version of macrium and will go ahead and clone :/

hmscott
12-06-2014, 02:47 AM
I just received me g751jt and Samsung evo 840 500gb today and attempted to use backtracker to swap out the hdd with the sdd. I had the same problem as you. I had read this post and others like it and hoped that maybe it would work with the 500gb but alas it did not. I am now downloading the trial version of macrium and will go ahead and clone :/

yizzle, in the past it has always been an incompatible USB Flash drive that caused the errors they are seeing, but since a couple of guys tried a few different flash drives and all failed, and all had smaller SSD's than were used before on successful restores, it was just a thought as to another possible cause.

It is likely still incompatible USB flash drives causing the problem.

Here is a person that did a successful Backtracker restore to a 250GB SSD:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53672-Help!-Backtracker-just-bricked-my-G751JT-CH71&p=454979&viewfull=1#post454979

I asked him to post what Make/model of flash drive / SSD he used. I have asked this a number of times, but usually don't get an answer - they have their problem solved and they are off enjoying their new laptop, but check there for update if he does respond.

What USB Flash drive make/model did you try that didn't work?

yizzle
12-06-2014, 03:02 AM
yizzle, in the past it has always been an incompatible USB Flash drive that caused the errors they are seeing, but since a couple of guys tried a few different flash drives and all failed, and all had smaller SSD's than were used before on successful restores, it was just a thought as to another possible cause.

It is likely still incompatible USB flash drives causing the problem.

Here is a person that did a successful Backtracker restore to a 250GB SSD:

I asked him to post what Make/model of flash drive / SSD he used. I have asked this a number of times, but usually don't get an answer - they have their problem solved and they are off enjoying their new laptop, but check there for update if he does respond.

What USB Flash drive make/model did you try that didn't work?

I bought a SanDink Cruzer U 16gb new from target today. I thought about trying another one, but would have to go out and spend another $15-$20 and am worried it might not work either. What is the benefit of using the backtracker software vs another cloning program? I still haven't performed the clone, so just wondering what the best course of action would be...

hmscott
12-06-2014, 03:23 AM
I bought a SanDink Cruzer U 16gb new from target today. I thought about trying another one, but would have to go out and spend another $15-$20 and am worried it might not work either. What is the benefit of using the backtracker software vs another cloning program? I still haven't performed the clone, so just wondering what the best course of action would be...

yizzle, if you do a clone of the original unchanged OS install, they are the same, as long as you can restore the other method onto an empty drive - you need a bootable solution to restore.

Using a good cloning program you can then save images at different stages of upgrade. For me I saved the original Windows 8.0 restore, the Windows 8.0 fully updated, and the Windows 8.1 fully upgraded, but after a while it was easier to use the Asus Backtracker restore and run the Windows updates.

The SanDisk is one of the failure mode makes... I wish people would post what works, so there was a list of USB drives known to work, but so far it is just me and my Sony USB drives...

If you clone now, and put the HDD on the shelf to preserve the restore partition, you can always watch for mention of flash drives in the future and do it then. The 1TB HDD Asus uses is inexpensive, and a much better one isn't much more. @85MB/sec it isn't a fast drive.

When you do find a flash drive that works, please come back and post the make/model and a URL :)

yizzle
12-06-2014, 04:50 AM
I tried to find a sony drive but the only store open this morning while I was out was target and the Sandisk was all that they had. I am going to go ahead and clone, but may try backtrack out at a later time, and will post my results. Thanks for the help.

hmscott
12-06-2014, 05:00 AM
I tried to find a sony drive but the only store open this morning while I was out was target and the Sandisk was all that they had. I am going to go ahead and clone, but may try backtrack out at a later time, and will post my results. Thanks for the help.

yizzle the Sony drives are hard to find, I bought mine at the Sony store(s), but I have seen Microcenter stock them too. Online purchase may be the only place to get them now.

One other nice method to use is to use an image file of the bootable drive, and to restore easily - without a bootable restore solution - put the new SSD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure and restore the image file to the SSD while still booted on the HDD.

You can't boot that image from USB - and don't try as that will change the restored files/registry enough that it won't boot normally any longer in the SATA Bay - but you can move it from the USB 3.0 enclosure right after restore into the Boot HDD Bay - swap the original HDD out - and it will boot on the newly restored SSD.

You can also do this directly, which is what I did first, skip imaging to a file and clone from the booted HDD to the SSD in the USB 3.0 enclosure.

That way you are always in user mode restore instead of needing a bare metal bootable image restore.

Have fun :)

ammar.2520
12-06-2014, 12:12 PM
yizzle the Sony drives are hard to find, I bought mine at the Sony store(s), but I have seen Microcenter stock them too. Online purchase may be the only place to get them now.

One other nice method to use is to use an image file of the bootable drive, and to restore easily - without a bootable restore solution - put the new SSD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure and restore the image file to the SSD while still booted on the HDD.

You can't boot that image from USB - and don't try as that will change the restored files/registry enough that it won't boot normally any longer in the SATA Bay - but you can move it from the USB 3.0 enclosure right after restore into the Boot HDD Bay - swap the original HDD out - and it will boot on the newly restored SSD.

You can also do this directly, which is what I did first, skip imaging to a file and clone from the booted HDD to the SSD in the USB 3.0 enclosure.

That way you are always in user mode restore instead of needing a bare metal bootable image restore.

Hi

Do you have reached the final solutions tried and proven.?

thanks

hmscott
12-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Hi
Do you have reached the final solutions tried and proven.?
thanks

ammar.2520, kinda of :)

For now if you can't get a USB flash drive that does a restore to SSD, then for now use Macrium Reflect Free to clone from the original HDD to your new SSD, then set the original HDD aside to preserve it until a list of working USB flash drives is available.

For some reason everyone that says it works for them, restoring to SSD from an Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive made from a 1TB HDD, hasn't listed the make / model of Flash drive that worked for them. We ask them, but they don't come back after reporting success, and don't bother to list the make/model in their last post before going away to enjoy their new laptop.

Hold on to that original HDD in original form until you can back it up to a flash drive using Asus Backtracker. That HDD is your only copy of the Asus OS build and recovery partition.

For the advanced user, the cloned SSD will also have a copy of the recovery partition. If you have 2 SSD's you could try making the Asus Backtracker flash drive from the SSD clone, and see if it will restore to the other SSD (pull the original HDD/cloned SSD before restoring or it will get erased by Backtracker. I am pretty sure this will not work either, as the problem has always been an incompatible flash drive - but for those that think the source that Backtracker uses is important, this might be worth trying.

I have used my Sony Flash drives (listed above) to backup using Backtracker and an SSD Clone and restored to HDD/SSD - I don't think source matters.

Please report back when you find a flash drive that works for you to restore to SSD - it will help a lot of people :)

ammar.2520
12-06-2014, 01:15 PM
ammar.2520, kinda of :)

For now if you can't get a USB flash drive that does a restore to SSD, then for now use Macrium Reflect Free to clone from the original HDD to your new SSD, then set the original HDD aside to preserve it until a list of working USB flash drives is available.

For some reason everyone that says it works for them, restoring to SSD from an Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive made from a 1TB HDD, hasn't listed the make / model of Flash drive that worked for them. We ask them, but they don't come back after reporting success, and don't bother to list the make/model in their last post before going away to enjoy their new laptop.

Hold on to that original HDD in original form until you can back it up to a flash drive using Asus Backtracker. That HDD is your only copy of the Asus OS build and recovery partition.

For the advanced user, the cloned SSD will also have a copy of the recovery partition. If you have 2 SSD's you could try making the Asus Backtracker flash drive from the SSD clone, and see if it will restore to the other SSD (pull the original HDD/cloned SSD before restoring or it will get erased by Backtracker. I am pretty sure this will not work either, as the problem has always been an incompatible flash drive - but for those that think the source that Backtracker uses is important, this might be worth trying.

I have used my Sony Flash drives (listed above) to backup using Backtracker and an SSD Clone and restored to HDD/SSD - I don't think source matters.

Please report back when you find a flash drive that works for you to restore to SSD - it will help a lot of people :)

i tried cloned but cloning didn't copy recovery partition

hmscott
12-06-2014, 01:28 PM
i tried cloned but cloning didn't copy recovery partition

ammar.2520, cloning means to get an exact copy, so if you cloned the whole drive you would have also gotten the recovery partitions. You may have only cloned some of the partitions, not all of the partitions, so you didn't clone the whole drive.

Macrium Reflect looks like this when cloning the whole drive, all partitions, note how they are all checked in the cloning checkbox. Notice the partition size differences between the 1TB drive and the 512GB drive.

If your SSD is smaller than the 1TB HDD, you will need to resize the partitions on the SSD side to make room for all the partitions... if you don't there won't be room for all the partitions, and since the Recovery Partitions are at the end of the drive, they would be left off the clone.

Try again :)

ammar.2520
12-06-2014, 02:17 PM
ammar.2520, cloning means to get an exact copy, so if you cloned the whole drive you would have also gotten the recovery partitions. You may have only cloned some of the partitions, not all of the partitions, so you didn't clone the whole drive.

Macrium Reflect looks like this when cloning the whole drive, all partitions, note how they are all checked in the cloning checkbox. Notice the partition size differences between the 1TB drive and the 512GB drive.

If your SSD is smaller than the 1TB HDD, you will need to resize the partitions on the SSD side to make room for all the partitions... if you don't there won't be room for all the partitions, and since the Recovery Partitions are at the end of the drive, they would be left off the clone.

Try again :)

what is diffrent between Disk Imaging & Disk Cloning?

hmscott
12-06-2014, 02:51 PM
what is difference between Disk Imaging & Disk Cloning?

ammar.2520, the semantics are irrelevant if you don't do it correctly / completely. :)

Repeat your cloning and make sure you select all the source partitions and make them fit on the destination. Then you will have an image clone, but not an exact disk clone. Does that make sense?

A disk clone will be an exact image of the entire disk, original source size and cloned destination size will be the same.

An image clone will keep the source contents of the image intact, but resize to fit the destination. The function of the source image will be cloned but not the 1 for 1 physical source.

The semantics don't matter as much as the results. You could really argue the semantics of the wording either way :)

Redo the cloning so the total image on the clone matches that of the source, even if the size of the source is larger than the destination.

ammar.2520
12-10-2014, 03:21 AM
ammar.2520, the semantics are irrelevant if you don't do it correctly / completely. :)

Repeat your cloning and make sure you select all the source partitions and make them fit on the destination. Then you will have an image clone, but not an exact disk clone. Does that make sense?

A disk clone will be an exact image of the entire disk, original source size and cloned destination size will be the same.

An image clone will keep the source contents of the image intact, but resize to fit the destination. The function of the source image will be cloned but not the 1 for 1 physical source.

The semantics don't matter as much as the results. You could really argue the semantics of the wording either way :)

Redo the cloning so the total image on the clone matches that of the source, even if the size of the source is larger than the destination.

Hi
Asus technical support toke 5 days to reply my problem with questions ....of what version of bactraker did I used? (Better than this why thy didn't give me tested version that work ).so i tell them its latest version 307 w8.1 immediately.
then take another 5 days to tell me that :

Dear Valued Customer,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please contact our local service center below for checking and to help you fix the issue.

Kindly note that operating system issues are not covered by the warranty and charges may apply.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,
Customer Care

END.
Tell me what to do?

hmscott
12-10-2014, 03:54 AM
Hi
Asus technical support toke 5 days to reply my problem with questions ....of what version of bactraker did I used? (Better than this why thy didn't give me tested version that work ).so i tell them its latest version 307 w8.1 immediately.
then take another 5 days to tell me that :

Dear Valued Customer,

Please contact our local service center below for checking and to help you fix the issue.

Kindly note that operating system issues are not covered by the warranty and charges may apply.

Thanks,
Customer Care

END.
Tell me what to do?

ammar.2520, that is why it is important to put together the question clearly and with all relevant information, including versions of programs - because you know if you don't include that information in the first email, Asus will be asking those questions first - because they can't answer your questions until they know all the relevant details. I asked you for those details as well to help you here on this thread.

You didn't include the text of your question and follow up email, so it is hard to know what Asus had to work with when answering you.

Did you following the instructions I posted earlier to clone your HDD to the SSD correctly?

If you have successfully cloned to the new SSD, then you can run from it, and put the original HDD aside to save for future cloning, or to put into the laptop for sending to Asus for RMA repair later in the life of the laptop.

Lots of people have successfully used Asus Backtracker on the G751 now, so the Asus Backtracker program is working. The problem is not all USB drives are compatible. You need to watch the forums for people that post which USB flash drives work, and get that exact model to use yourself, until you find one that works you can put the original HDD aside to preserve as your backup.

Please re-read my posts above for help, and read the forums for other G751 owners posting their success.

ammar.2520
12-10-2014, 04:29 AM
ammar.2520,
Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks,
Jayson
Customer Care

---------- Original Message ----------
Sent :
To : "techsupport@asus.com"
Subject : Re:<TSD> Notebook G751JT [ID=*****************59010-962]

Hi
Thanks for fast response. I'd like to inform you that i used ASUS BACKTRACKER
V.307 latest version and, and yes! the ssd was detected.
i try many different types of SSD and USB flash drive but not work please help me.
I look forward to your assistance.
Thanks.
A.ALI

-------- Original message --------
To: amma*****************
Cc:
Subject: Re: Notebook G751JT [ID=*****************]

Dear Valued Customer,

Please help provide the backtracker version that you are using and kindly make sure
that the SSD is detected in the BIOS.

Regards,
Jayson
Customer Care

[Contact Information]
Name : AMMAR
Email Address : ammar*****@**************************
Phone Number : *****************

[Product Information]
Product Type : Notebook
Product Model : G751JT
Product S/N : *****************
Date of Purchase : 2014/11/07
Operating System : Windows 8.1 64bit

[Problem Description]
Hi, I have purchased a G751JT-CH71 and it works great. After a few days, I decided
to upgrade to an SSD and bought a Samsung EVO 840 250gb MZ-7TE250BW.

Here is what I did:
2. I installed Asus Backtracker on a Sansdisk 32gb thumb drive that I just bought
that is usb 3.0 and 2.0 compatible.
3. I returned my factory HDD to factory default using the Backtracker off my thumb
drive without issue to make sure the thumb drive would read appropriately.
4. I then uninstalled my HDD drive and installed my new SSD drive into the bay that
the HDD drive had come out of.
5. I plugged my thumb drive in along with the newly installed SSD drive and powered
up.
6. Asus Backtracker started up but then gave me an error that it could not read from
the USB thumb drive.
please see attached photo
thanks
A.ALI

ammar.2520
12-10-2014, 04:31 AM
ammar.2520, .

please give me direct link for other G751 owners posting their success.
thanks

hmscott
12-10-2014, 05:01 AM
Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks,
Jayson
Customer Care

Sent :
To : "techsupport@asus.com"
Subject : Re:<TSD> Notebook G751JT [ID=*****************59010-962]

Hi
Thanks for fast response. I'd like to inform you that i used ASUS BACKTRACKER
V.307 latest version and, and yes! the ssd was detected.
i try many different types of SSD and USB flash drive but not work please help me.
I look forward to your assistance.
Thanks.
A.ALI

-------- Original message --------
To: amma*****************
Cc:
Subject: Re: Notebook G751JT [ID=*****************]

Dear Valued Customer,

Please help provide the backtracker version that you are using and kindly make sure
that the SSD is detected in the BIOS.

Regards,
Jayson
Customer Care

[Contact Information]
Name : AMMAR
Email Address : ammar*****@**************************
Phone Number : *****************

[Product Information]
Product Type : Notebook
Product Model : G751JT
Product S/N : *****************
Date of Purchase : 2014/11/07
Operating System : Windows 8.1 64bit

[Problem Description]
Hi, I have purchased a G751JT-CH71 and it works great. After a few days, I decided
to upgrade to an SSD and bought a Samsung EVO 840 250gb MZ-7TE250BW.

Here is what I did:
2. I installed Asus Backtracker on a Sansdisk 32gb thumb drive that I just bought
that is usb 3.0 and 2.0 compatible.
3. I returned my factory HDD to factory default using the Backtracker off my thumb
drive without issue to make sure the thumb drive would read appropriately.
4. I then uninstalled my HDD drive and installed my new SSD drive into the bay that
the HDD drive had come out of.
5. I plugged my thumb drive in along with the newly installed SSD drive and powered
up.
6. Asus Backtracker started up but then gave me an error that it could not read from
the USB thumb drive.
please see attached photo
thanks
A.ALI

ammar.2520, very nice, you only missed the version of Backtracker. :)

Asus has chat and phone in support, I would call them and talk to someone in person, if the first person can't answer / help you, ask to be escalated to the manager for help.

Truly though, you are only short a working flash drive, otherwise it would be working. It's a pain that so many don't work, but when you find one that works get one and try again.

And, when you find one that works be sure and come back here and post the make/model and a URL to the product page, and a URL to where you bought it, that will help others too :)

hmscott
12-10-2014, 05:08 AM
please give me direct link for other G751 owners posting their success.
thanks

ammar, I posted what I used here in answer to you already:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54292-G751JT-CH71-Asus-Backtracker-to-SSD-problem&p=454279&viewfull=1#post454279

And, Benny posted what didn't work for him - don't try these:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54292-G751JT-CH71-Asus-Backtracker-to-SSD-problem&p=454413&viewfull=1#post454413

I think I saw one recently, looking for it... remember these are still early days for the G751, so there aren't a lot of user reports yet, mostly failures, and when they get it working they don't always come back to let us know what worked.

I saved the URL, but I can't find the post yet:

SanDisk Extreme CZ80 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Transfer Speeds Up To 245MB/s- SDCZ80-016G-GAM46 [Newest Version]
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KT7DOR0/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

Update: found the posted answer, and as it turns out, it was an answer by sati747 to your question :)

G751jt-ch71 and SSD installation, HD questions
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53386-G751jt-ch71-and-SSD-installation-HD-questions&p=455410&viewfull=1#post455410

qwerty25
12-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Hey guys

I'm having the same problem as you guys.. Really annoying .. I got my ROG yesterday and I've been struggling to transfer the recovery to my Samsung EVO SSD 500 gb or using the backtracker from my Flash drives.. , Can It really be about the Flash drive? seems really weird..

I've also tried cloning the whole disk, but still the recovery won't work ... it just can' find the recovery files when I press F9 even tho I know that they are on the SSD .. and after that the whole oc is useless again , can't boot or anything.

Let me know how is it going with this or if you hear a solution for this problem

Regards

daniele80
04-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Hi, I'm Daniele from Italy. I try a lot of time to use Backtracker to backup my HDD but as many of you, I have encountered problems to install the backup to SSD.

I have use 3 different type of USB dive:

- San Disk Ultra 3.0 64Gb;
- Sony Microvault 3.0 16 Gb;
- Lexar Jumpdrive 3.0 32 GB.

With all my USB drive I'm able to create the backup file.

I turn off the PC, disinstall the HDD and install my Samsung 850 PRO 1TB. Now insert USB drive and turn on the notebook, but a error message appear, the USB drive seems not compatible... this program sucks, it's been possible that 3 different drive don't work???

I try Backtracker 3.0.7 version, now I tested 3.0.8 version but I think nothing changes... can anyone help me??

daniele80
04-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Solved, the problem isn't USB drive but Backtracker program. Install 3.0.8 version and all work fine!

taryel
04-27-2015, 01:32 AM
Where did you get the 3.0.8 version? I can't seem to find it. All i see on the official page is 3.0.7.

hmscott
04-27-2015, 08:13 AM
Where did you get the 3.0.8 version? I can't seem to find it. All i see on the official page is 3.0.7.

taryel, if you mean your laptops support download page, then you need to know that Asus only posts new versions for new products. Once the release is over and after the first few months, Asus doesn't update again.

You need to track new hardware releases, new laptop models, that use the same components and also watch the central locations for support for classes of components.

Here is where you can find the 3.0.8 version of Backtracker:

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1 download

Asus Backtracker FAQ
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640/

Here is the list I keep up an up to date list of places to look for new drivers, and the thread where people that find newer releases / places post their finds:

Asus G751 Support / Download areas
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55572-Asus-G751-Support-Download-areas&p=473863&viewfull=1#post473863

You should find a number of the drivers you need have newer versions for download in those places, newer than the versions you are finding for your specific laptop.

daniele80
04-27-2015, 10:54 AM

Hi, I download the utility from here:

juggar
05-07-2015, 08:38 PM
I am going to push someone down a flight of stairs.... OF course I used version 3.0.7 and it failed... The support site is so screwed up they still have 3.0.7 up...

Asus backtrack has ALWAYS been a gigantic piece of crap. Now I have to remove the SSD and all the screws reinstall backtracker and make yet another backup that will take a damn hour.

This is the only thing that makes me want to get violent when I am dealing with my laptop.

All I ever asked for was a decent backup program, I went through hell on earth with my old G750 doing this...

tteksystems
08-02-2015, 04:06 PM
I am going to push someone down a flight of stairs.... OF course I used version 3.0.7 and it failed... The support site is so screwed up they still have 3.0.7 up...

Asus backtrack has ALWAYS been a gigantic piece of crap. Now I have to remove the SSD and all the screws reinstall backtracker and make yet another backup that will take a damn hour.

This is the only thing that makes me want to get violent when I am dealing with my laptop.

All I ever asked for was a decent backup program, I went through hell on earth with my old G750 doing this...

Oh I so agree with you man. The procedure that clearly outlines the intended goal is quite clear and there are countless problems that do nothing but reiterate all of the failures experienced by almost every end user and when we want simple answer to a simple question we get flack about proper etiquette about how we are to properly ask questions and at this point I think the issue has been spelled out so many times and is not something that requires us to spend so much time re-defining how we ask our question in order to get a straight answer. Backtracker does not properly prepare the flash drive when we follow proper procedure to transfer the recovery media from original drive to the flash drive. So we have alot of people with failed attempts to use the flash drive to put everything back on a newly installed SSD. But the reason we can't get the proper solution is because we did not ask the question properly and so many of the replies to someone's question for a good answer are more or less asking for stupid info that really does not expedite a better answer. Some people who manage forums are trying to get a bunch of users posting messages in a format that ask questions a certain way with certain information so they end up with a well laid out set of instructions for others to read later when searching for solutions for said problem. But the forum could have just answered the question with thorough examples and details long ago. But instead of writing a good clear set of instructions, someone wants to be anal and coax a bunch of people to write messages so it looks like there is some sort of worthwhile discussion going on. All this does is make a big mess with some messages that are so meaningless and without any relevant information and confusion. JUST WRITE THE CORRECT SOLUTION, FIX THE PROBLEM! Nobody wants to read 5-10 pages of information only to find out there is not one clear solution that makes any sense. If it is supposed to be a place to find help then there should at least be a worthwhile solution that works. But then again, ASUS support is about as clueless at the employee level as it is to a newborn baby

Asoryu
08-05-2015, 02:05 PM
I've come to learn that purchasing this ASUS product has been a gigantic waste of time and money. Knowing that just this issue with Backtracker is a known issue, a consistent issue, and one that has been failed to be addressed correctly and properly by ASUS has made me very agitated on more than one occasion. I've finally become so fed up with ASUS trying to get them to not only fix my laptop from the issues from the factory but the issues that resulted in them damaging my unit that I've completely given up and have written this piece of garbage off. Which I'm sure is exactly what ASUS wants. They would rather write off a customer than fix their product and processes.

Edweird
08-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Hrm. I'm afraid we're a bit stuck on choice.
better luck next time, I guess. Maybe try MSI or Gigabyte and hope you don't get disappointed by the same exact things.

Or better yet, don't buy a gaming laptop, terrible investment anyways.

Asoryu
08-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Hrm. I'm afraid we're a bit stuck on choice.
better luck next time, I guess. Maybe try MSI or Gigabyte and hope you don't get disappointed by the same exact things.

Or better yet, don't buy a gaming laptop, terrible investment anyways.

Next time I'm going to go with a Dell Alienware since they have been 100% and more when it comes to solving my issues with my CAD workstation laptop.

As far as investments, no computer is an investment and shouldn't be treated as such. Just like a car, as soon as you purchase it they lose value and will continue to do so until they are worthless or have some sort of intrinsic value that makes them begin to appreciate again. I travel a lot for a living and since computer gaming has been a part of my life for more than 30 years, I do not think that I should have to give that up just because my job requires me to travel. We live in 2015 where laptops can be comparable in power and speed as most desktops.

The ASUS laptop as far as power is concerned is a wonderful machine, and if ASUS had not skimped on some of the finer points or if they had respectable warranty service in the USA these machines would be stellar desktop replacements.

ASUS is failing to deliver on their promises and this is looking like it's a trend for them and not just a rough patch in their quality.

Edweird
08-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Next time I'm going to go with a Dell Alienware since they have been 100% and more when it comes to solving my issues with my CAD workstation laptop.

As far as investments, no computer is an investment and shouldn't be treated as such. Just like a car, as soon as you purchase it they lose value and will continue to do so until they are worthless or have some sort of intrinsic value that makes them begin to appreciate again. I travel a lot for a living and since computer gaming has been a part of my life for more than 30 years, I do not think that I should have to give that up just because my job requires me to travel. We live in 2015 where laptops can be comparable in power and speed as most desktops.

The ASUS laptop as far as power is concerned is a wonderful machine, and if ASUS had not skimped on some of the finer points or if they had respectable warranty service in the USA these machines would be stellar desktop replacements.

ASUS is failing to deliver on their promises and this is looking like it's a trend for them and not just a rough patch in their quality.

Agreed, but you did have the worst luck I have ever seen with yours. No troubles with mine that I wasn't able to handle. Still, I can see how some of said finer points could be a turn-off. Don't think there's a person alive who would say only positive things about ASUS' service.

I meant investment purely as in "giving money for", not really as a long term value item. However, I did mean it in that you would not be having all these potential issues (that in your case are actual issues) if you were running a desktop - or at least not as easily or not as many of said issues. Desktop hardware is much easier to support - not to mention upgrade capacity, which is only possible with a select few Alienware/MSI etc. machines at extremely high costs atm and definitely not within the same scope. If one thing goes, big deal it'll be the only thing you might have trouble with. Keyboard doesn't support N-key rollover? Buy whatever keyboard does (I know a fair few people who carry a desktop keyboard with their gaming laptop anyways). But you obviously know all these things, I'm just making a point.

The only reason why I got a G751 is because I travel a lot too and while I didn't mind carrying a mini/micro/whatever ATX around, the bit where I have to carry a monitor was an issue.

Asoryu
08-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Agreed, but you did have the worst luck I have ever seen with yours. No troubles with mine that I wasn't able to handle. Still, I can see how some of said finer points could be a turn-off. Don't think there's a person alive who would say only positive things about ASUS' service.

We're way off topic here, but it appears these are systematic problems and not just bad luck. After receiving my laptop back I used Backtracker to make a copy of my recovery partition but now I'm dead scared to attempt to use it since I'm afraid it's going to brick my laptop again.

Edit: I'm putting my ROG up for sale now, I just priced out an Alienware and it's only 200 dollars more with the same specs (this includes the 1 year accidental damage too).

Geeser
08-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Hello people, I'm not new to the G751 forum, but was only observing and searching (what interested me) rather than posting in forum, but I want to share my luck with ASUS Backtracker.
I run on G751JT i7 4710HQ Processor 16GB RAM 1TB HDD 7200 RPM, BIOS 205. Immediately after purchase I cloned my original HDD to Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT256MX100SSD1-2-5-inch-9-5-mm-Spacer/dp/B00KFAGCWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438936107&sr=8-1&keywords=CT256MX100SSD1+256GB) 256GB SSD (which I had from previous laptop) with Acronis True Image 2014 software using USB 3.0 to 2.5 inch SATA III Hard drive cable adapter because I didn't had 16GB USB to try my luck with the Backtracker. Afterwards, installed SSD in the main bay and the original HDD in 2nd and was using until yesterday when i decided to try recover Windows to factory defaults on SSD using recovery partition. Uninstalled HDD and put it aside, hit F9 during boot up and got an error that recovery partition can not be accessed or something (maybe due to cloning issues from 1TB to 256GB) and wasn't able to boot up Windows anymore. It was time to try ASUS Backtracker. This time I had Kingston DataTraveler (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-DataTraveler-Flash-Drive/dp/B00G9WHMCW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438936203&sr=8-2&keywords=kingston+data+traveler+g4) G4 16GB USB. Swapped back original HDD in 1st bay and put SSD aside.

1. Downloaded ASUS Backtracker 309 and installed on original HDD;
2. Followed on screen instructions and inserted USB when prompted;
3. Within an hour creation of recovery media was completed;
4. Turned off the machine and installed SSD in the main bay. This time HDD was put aside on my table;
5. Installed the USB and booted up in UEFI;
6. Swapped boot priority to USB - 1st and SSD - 2nd (with broken Windows);
7. Save and exit;
8. The recovery process initialized. Followed couple more on screen instructions and recovery process started;
9. After 20-30 mins recovery process successfully finished. Was prompted to uninstall the USB and press "Reboot";
10. System rebooted and Windows recovered to factory defaults when I first got it. But this time it was on SSD.

I hope it helps for those who are struggling with recovery to SSD.

Asoryu
08-07-2015, 02:13 PM
Hello people, I'm not new to the G751 forum, but was only observing and searching (what interested me) rather than posting in forum, but I want to share my luck with ASUS Backtracker.
I run on G751JT i7 4710HQ Processor 16GB RAM 1TB HDD 7200 RPM, BIOS 205. Immediately after purchase I cloned my original HDD to Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT256MX100SSD1-2-5-inch-9-5-mm-Spacer/dp/B00KFAGCWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438936107&sr=8-1&keywords=CT256MX100SSD1+256GB) 256GB SSD (which I had from previous laptop) with Acronis True Image 2014 software using USB 3.0 to 2.5 inch SATA III Hard drive cable adapter because I didn't had 16GB USB to try my luck with the Backtracker. Afterwards, installed SSD in the main bay and the original HDD in 2nd and was using until yesterday when i decided to try recover Windows to factory defaults on SSD using recovery partition. Uninstalled HDD and put it aside, hit F9 during boot up and got an error that recovery partition can not be accessed or something (maybe due to cloning issues from 1TB to 256GB) and wasn't able to boot up Windows anymore. It was time to try ASUS Backtracker. This time I had Kingston DataTraveler (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-DataTraveler-Flash-Drive/dp/B00G9WHMCW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438936203&sr=8-2&keywords=kingston+data+traveler+g4) G4 16GB USB. Swapped back original HDD in 1st bay and put SSD aside.

1. Downloaded ASUS Backtracker 309 and installed on original HDD;
2. Followed on screen instructions and inserted USB when prompted;
3. Within an hour creation of recovery media was completed;
4. Turned off the machine and installed SSD in the main bay. This time HDD was put aside on my table;
5. Installed the USB and booted up in UEFI;
6. Swapped boot priority to USB - 1st and SSD - 2nd (with broken Windows);
7. Save and exit;
8. The recovery process initialized. Followed couple more on screen instructions and recovery process started;
9. After 20-30 mins recovery process successfully finished. Was prompted to uninstall the USB and press "Reboot";
10. System rebooted and Windows recovered to factory defaults when I first got it. But this time it was on SSD.

I hope it helps for those who are struggling with recovery to SSD.

ASUS is to blame for these issues, either the software or the image is at fault. A lot of us can't even recover to the factory mechanical drive. I've personally drive 20+ USB drives formatted in every combination with no success.