PDA

View Full Version : G750JM Dual drive performance

thryledz
12-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Hi all,
bought a new g750 jm in the summer, it came with a 1gb toshiba hard disk drive, partitioned into an OS C: and Data D: drive excluding the hidden recovery partitions etc. Not having any previous experience with any other recent higher end laptops like this, i immediately thought its reaction speeds to mundane tasks like opening Chrome was a bit slower than i expected and i attributed this to the "old" hdd platter drive - having recently moved to an SSD on my desktop, a 840 pro samsung drive, i could see quite a difference.

So i decided to buy a new 850 pro for the desktop and moved the 840 to the laptop. Used backtracker to grab an image of the factory condition and successfully installed it on the newly wiped 840, now installed on the g750.

Everything was great and speedy until i reinstalled the old "main" toshiba drive - to be used as a data only drive. I wiped it clean deleting all partitions making a single one for storage purposes. Now the laptop feels sluggish again, not as much as when the OS was on the HDD but similar to that.

Do i maybe have a faulty drive that's keeping the shared (?) controller busy or something of that sort? Mind you i'm not referring to sluggishness during file transfers or anything similar.. just opening chrome from an idle state etc...

thanks in advance

hmscott
12-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Hi all,
bought a new g750 jm in the summer, it came with a 1gb toshiba hard disk drive, partitioned into an OS C: and Data D: drive excluding the hidden recovery partitions etc. Not having any previous experience with any other recent higher end laptops like this, i immediately thought its reaction speeds to mundane tasks like opening Chrome was a bit slower than i expected and i attributed this to the "old" hdd platter drive - having recently moved to an SSD on my desktop, a 840 pro samsung drive, i could see quite a difference.

So i decided to buy a new 850 pro for the desktop and moved the 840 to the laptop. Used backtracker to grab an image of the factory condition and successfully installed it on the newly wiped 840, now installed on the g750.

Everything was great and speedy until i reinstalled the old "main" toshiba drive - to be used as a data only drive. I wiped it clean deleting all partitions making a single one for storage purposes. Now the laptop feels sluggish again, not as much as when the OS was on the HDD but similar to that.

Do i maybe have a faulty drive that's keeping the shared (?) controller busy or something of that sort? Mind you i'm not referring to sluggishness during file transfers or anything similar.. just opening chrome from an idle state etc...

thanks in advance

thryledz, are you seeing any errors in the Windows Event log for the System? Those might indicate IO issues or other issues not IO related that just happened to coincide with adding the HDD back.

Also look for temperatures rising after adding the HDD, it can raise overall CPU temps, but not high enough to throttle.

Did you put the pagefile on the HDD, moved from the SSD? If you have 8GB or more, and don't regularly tax the limit of memory - go beyond what you have installed - you can turn off the pagefile, and I also recommend turning off Hibernation - doing both saved me 64GB on my boot SSD.

I keep my HDD outside the laptop in a USB 3.0 2.5" bus powered enclosure - very small and easy to put in the laptop bag if needed. That keeps the power / heat out of the laptop, and might isolate the effect you are seeing behind the USB 3.0 controller.

Please let us know what you find :)

thryledz
12-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the swift reply!
First thing i did after windows installation was to turn off pagefile and hibernation. I have 3x4gb sodimms so i'm ok without a pagefile, and given it's a 128gb ssd there's not much space to spare.
I'll check on any issues on the event manager and let you know. Don't think it's a temperature issue though, laptop runs cool througout these occurences..
If all else fails, that's a very good idea you gave with the external enclosure - not like i'll be losing any performance out of the HDD :)

I'll keep ya posted

hmscott
12-04-2014, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the swift reply!
First thing i did after windows installation was to turn off pagefile and hibernation. I have 3x4gb sodimms so i'm ok without a pagefile, and given it's a 128gb ssd there's not much space to spare.
I'll check on any issues on the event manager and let you know. Don't think it's a temperature issue though, laptop runs cool througout these occurences..
If all else fails, that's a very good idea you gave with the external enclosure - not like i'll be losing any performance out of the HDD :)
I'll keep ya posted

thryledz, it's too bad USB 2.0 maxes out at 40MB/sec - only about half the speed of the 1TB HDD; I have a couple of nice USB 2.0 2.5" cases that are going unused. Seems a waste of a USB 3.0 case as well :)

Please come back and let us know what you find :)