PDA

View Full Version : G751JT-CH71 Battery Charging Issue

D_Pain
12-03-2014, 05:44 AM
Hello, I've been playing with my laptop for about a week and I noticed that my battery was not getting charged even having it connected with the charger.
It says its plugged in but not charging.

I tried unplugging the charges and checking whether I mis-plugged it but that was not the issue. I also tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver and re-installing it but that did not fix my issue.

How would I be able to fix it? Thanks.

hmscott
12-03-2014, 06:01 AM
Hello, I've been playing with my laptop for about a week and I noticed that my battery was not getting charged even having it connected with the charger.
It says its plugged in but not charging.

I tried unplugging the charges and checking whether I mis-plugged it but that was not the issue. I also tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver and re-installing it but that did not fix my issue.

How would I be able to fix it? Thanks.

D_Pain, this is a common reaction to noticing this not charging behavior the first time :)

The charging circuit is maintaining the battery such that it lasts longer, setting the charge / discharge less than 100% is part of that conditioning.

Mine usually says somewhere in the range of 94% - 99% at any given time. It always says plugged in but not charging, rarely do I catch it saying it is charging. I am usually plugged in all the time. I run on battery about once a month, discharge to the first warning, then plug it back in.

Right now it does say 100%, but that is extremely rare, when I have answered this question before it has been somewhere in the high 90's%, this is the first time I have seen 100% :)

In short, it is working the way it is supposed to.

D_Pain
12-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Wow thanks hmscott. I was afraid that I had to get my laptop fixed :O
I'm glad to have a well functioning laptop.

Geminos
03-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Mine is new (only 2 weeks old) but the battery level is stuck at 4% and says "plugged in but not charging". What could be the problem?

hmscott
03-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Mine is new (only 2 weeks old) but the battery level is stuck at 4% and says "plugged in but not charging". What could be the problem?

Geminos, holding at 4% is very unusual, it might be time to swap it for another one at the seller, but better do it quick, check your receipt to see how much time you have left to return it for a new one. Not charging is a good reason for a return - so if they try to charge you a re-stocking fee tell them no, you have cause for return / replacement.

NitroX
03-28-2015, 10:01 AM

Just try a notebook reset before going for a return. The process would be like this: Restart Notebook --> When the RoG Logo Appears after boot screen PRESS&HOLD the power button for like 10 seconds until the battery led shuts off and starts blinking again ---> Power on the laptop and check if the battery is charging.

It is quite common in ASUS laptops to have this battery isue. But, as Hmscott said, if this doesn't work it may as well be a problem with the battery itself and then you should definitely return the laptop.

KingJake
03-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Hi. Same problem, found charge was at 95% checked battery connections but quickly found laptop port not a compact fit, after 5 or 6 attempts charge to 100% resumed but beware of wear and tear constantly unplugging over time you may need to seek out a better port connector. Fortunately for me I already have a spare for if and when this happens. Bad battery port connection kinda kills the objective for a laptop.

hmscott
03-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi. Same problem, found charge was at 95% checked battery connections but quickly found laptop port not a compact fit, after 5 or 6 attempts charge to 100% resumed but beware of wear and tear constantly unplugging over time you may need to seek out a better port connector. Fortunately for me I already have a spare for if and when this happens. Bad battery port connection kinda kills the objective for a laptop.

KingJake, you don't have the same problem, yours is working correctly as expected. The charging circuit is supposed to vary the charge level between about 93% and 100% to keep the battery conditioned, I rarely see 100%, right now it is at 96%.

Messing around with unplugging and replugging multiple times to force it to 100% from 95% isn't a good idea, beyond the physical wear on the connector.

All the ROG laptops vary the total charge when they are plugged in over long periods.

It is all part of extending the life of the battery, let it do its job :)

4% for an extended time indicates a problem.

hmscott
03-28-2015, 10:53 PM
Just try a notebook reset before going for a return. The process would be like this: Restart Notebook --> When the RoG Logo Appears after boot screen PRESS&HOLD the power button for like 10 seconds until the battery led shuts off and starts blinking again ---> Power on the laptop and check if the battery is charging.
It is quite common in ASUS laptops to have this battery isue. But, as Hmscott said, if this doesn't work it may as well be a problem with the battery itself and then you should definitely return the laptop.

NitroX, I was going to suggest doing a power reset, but he is right at the edge of return period, 2 weeks, and 4% is unusually low - I didn't want him to spend time testing only to find it is a recurring problem, and he has lost his ability to return to the seller.

Findermb
03-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Mine had the same problem... but instead of the plugged in and not charging was making the orange charging button goimg on and off... like charging and not charging... its not the charger because it sends the 19.5V stable and if the laptop port would be the problem it wouldnt hsve charge for the 2 days that was like that... now my batterry went empty because my power went off and now it would not charge with the laptop off and will not even turn on because the battery is empty... I was so happy with my laptop, but WTF, no replaceable battery and this issue... I will have to return the laptop and I do not live in a country with an asus autorized tech center.

Tanvirul Hoque
05-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Hi. I just bought Asus RoG G&51JT-T7101H(same config. as G751JT-DH72) from Bangkok.. Recently i have seen that my battery was not getting charged even having it connected with the charger and as soon as i unplug it shuts down. It wont run on battery. It will run when only plugged in. I tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver and re-installing it but that did not fix my issue. I also tried resetting my laptop but same as usual, not fixed. Please give some advice. Need solution desperately.

Rares95
05-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Hi. I just bought Asus RoG G&51JT-T7101H(same config. as G751JT-DH72) from Bangkok.. Recently i have seen that my battery was not getting charged even having it connected with the charger and as soon as i unplug it shuts down. It wont run on battery. It will run when only plugged in. I tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver and re-installing it but that did not fix my issue. I also tried resetting my laptop but same as usual, not fixed. Please give some advice. Need solution desperately.

A friend of mine had a similar problem with yours with a G771 i think. He sent it to be repaired but ended up getting a replacement.

siniestr0
11-16-2015, 11:27 PM
When my G751JT is connected, when arrives max capacity, only show 100% charge complete.

I format my laptop to install Windows 10 from begining, and now I don't know if I need install something for plugged in, not charging, because .. what happen with my lpatopn ? is allways charging ??? never rest ? maybe I burn my battery in a few months ?

Please I need your helps guys !!!

Thnaks

di Valenti
11-20-2015, 06:42 AM
I noted this a while back - good to know it's working as intended - but also I never really consider a gaming laptop a battery run machine - but I have put mine into a bank of plugs and I do actually turn it off from charge when it's not on to keep it from building up heat in the charging block over time... I feel that this is a good idea for the long term. This setup also means I don't have to unplug and plug in the connector since the power block has a switch. The block also has a soft-power down setup so it slowly goes off not a quick switch off.

My battery doing this is almost always at 100% but sometimes it does go to 99% and says not charging - but at that point it will charge up to 100% after the next down time. Sometimes but it will star to recharge if it ever hits 95% or lower. Only one time did I unplug the power for a long time and it went to about 50% (mainly because I forgot it was unplugged and I was AFK) and it did act a little wonky until I restarted it - then it started to charge as normal and came back up to as before. But I have had this system in use daily since June/July and working fine.

siniestr0
11-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Now my laptop appear the same as you, 99% unplugged, not charging.

How many times can I charge my laptop battery ? 500 or 1000 full charges ?

Thx.

aeolisio
11-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Now my laptop appear the same as you, 99% unplugged, not charging.

How many times can I charge my laptop battery ? 500 or 1000 full charges ?

Thx.

Its supposed to drop down to as low as 95 before it starts charging again you dont want a system that constantly charges the batteries it would shorten the life. As for cycles there is no listed charge cycles i am aware of but the g751 batteries use different brands and models of cells depending on when and where it was manufactured and the ones i have bothered to google before were all 1000 cycle batteries usually samsung.

Maiko
11-22-2015, 07:08 AM
But my problem is, it charges to 89%

Then when I try to use it on the battery, it lasts like 15 to 20 minutes, and just randomly shuts off then it says the battery is all gone when i turn it back on.

I can't have it doing that I'm afraid it will corrupt the hard drive if it keeps shutting off randomly.

aeolisio
11-22-2015, 11:11 AM
But my problem is, it charges to 89%

Then when I try to use it on the battery, it lasts like 15 to 20 minutes, and just randomly shuts off then it says the battery is all gone when i turn it back on.

I can't have it doing that I'm afraid it will corrupt the hard drive if it keeps shutting off randomly.
If your battery is going from 89% to power off and its not in your power settings to hibernate or sleep after that amount of time then you need to rebuild the battery or rma it and keep this to 1 thread not 2. I was replying to siniestr0 thats why i included his quote.

dann006
02-15-2016, 10:34 PM

This is what is exactly happening to me. Did you get it fixed?