PDA

View Full Version : G751 Imbalanced Sound Problem OFFICIAL SUPPORT THREAD (thread closed)

Pages : [1] 2 3

BRSxIgnition
12-03-2014, 07:05 AM
I've created this thread to condense the information we've gathered on this issue over the course of the old thread, which can be found here. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53560-G751JT-CH71-Sound-only-playing-through-subwoofer-FIX)

Current Fix Status:
Fix Here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57462-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-FIX-IS-OUT!

Current Probable Issue Diagnosis:
Regular Signal instead of LFE (Low Frequency Effects) Signal to Subwoofer

Description (In different states):

Installed Drivers (Main Issue):

All speakers "working", but WITH massive imbalance issue.Sub greatly overshadows L/R Speakers & also distorts at volumes above 35%. Can hear sound very faintly coming from L/R speakers with ear pressed up against them.

Uninstalled Drivers (Temporary Fix):

Subwoofer (Only) is default playback device, with L/R Speakers being listed as a separate playback device. Left and Right Speakers working at full volume when selected as default playback device, with no sound
coming from subwoofer. Subwoofer can play audio when selected as default device, but distorts at volume levels above 35%, and does not work in conjunction with rear speakers in this configuration. (Either/Or Situation)

Reinstalled Drivers (Main Issue, Again):

Same effect as "Installed Drivers" every time. (All speakers "working", but WITH the imbalance issue. Sub greatly outpowers L/R Speakers & also distorts at volumes above 35%. Can hear sound very faintly coming from L/R speakers with ear pressed up against them.)

**NEW** Subwoofer Disabled (New Finding/Confirmation):

L/R Speakers can be heard perfectly fine when Subwoofer is disabled using the "Vbcmd_mute_int_woofer" Mute.exe file provided by MarshallR@ASUS on the ROG Forums. Cannot comment on volume level, but volume seems to scale fine without the subwoofer to overshadow it. This confirms the situation is a software issue, and all speakers are physically fine.

This issue is known to arise both brand new "out of box" units as well as on units where the OS has been cloned or reinstalled on a new drive and the ASUS Support Site drivers have been used. All G751 Models can have this issue.

Temporary Fixes:
As mentioned in the description, the speakers still work fine, proving that the issue is Software, not Hardware-related.

To get your Left & Right back speakers working correctly, follow the temporary fix guides below.

**NEW** TEMPORARY FIX - DISABLE SUBWOOFER:

Download and extract this RAR file. (https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/69B9B25979E542DB928A4D551F38AEF4Y)
Make sure you have the ASUS G751 Realtek Drivers installed. You can find them here. (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/Audio/Audio_Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017335.zip)
Unzip Vbcmd_mute_int_woofer tool, and run Mute.exe.
If it returns a "Success!" message, your subwoofer should now be disabled.
If you ever need to enable your subwoofer again (when a fix is issued), simply unzip Vbcmd_unmute_int_woofer and run Unmute.exe.
Viola.

Enjoy your tinny-back speakers with no sub until we get a fix from ASUS. Until then, keep checking in here for updates, and let us know if you find anything!

Edit by cl-Albert 2/5/15: Very late thanks for looking into this and apologies for the delay, BRSxIgnition.
The new *.7432 G751 audio driver has finally been released, so this thread has been closed (to avoid 2 competing threads) and a new thread started.
If anybody is interested, please post your testing results or comments about this new audio driver at the post below. Thanks!

G751 Imbalanced Sound Problem FIX IS OUT!
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57462-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-FIX-IS-OUT!

ARX7Arbalest
12-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Model: ASUS G751JT-CH71

DUMP FILE (already sent to Marshall, for anyone who would like to start their own research or comparison):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22160168/RtHDDump.txt

Oddities I've found so far:
1. There are 2 Realtek HD Audio Managers when searching from Windows Start (Not sure if normal just found it odd).
2.When using RHDA Manager and plugging in Headphones in the 3 Analog ports; option for Front Left, Front Right, Center/Subwoofer along with Headphones popout.
3. There are options for Stereo, Quadsonic(?), and 5.1 Surrougnd but none for 2.1 in RHDA Manager.

BRSxIgnition
12-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Please PM (Private Message) the dump file to Marshall, that's the quickest way to get it to ASUS for them to look at it & use it to solve the issue.

geneticweapon
12-03-2014, 10:16 AM
What was the point in creating a another thread for this same issue we were already discussing?

joshindaphils
12-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Just to chime in with another me too on sound issues. My experience is the same as Geneticweapon's and others where I get sound out of all three speakers however it is completely dominated by monaural audio from the sub.

In fact at first I swore I had the sub only sound issue as described by others and even when pressing my ears against the top speakers; I wasn't sure that what I was hearing wasn't coming from the sub through the chassis. Only after adjusting the sound to full right channel and playing the test tones could I clearly distinguish sound from the top speakers with my ear as close as possible to it.

I would bet most if not all people having the sound through the sub only issue are actually experiencing the above mentioned issue. I had to turn the AC off and otherwise isolate myself from noise and do some critical listening to be certain I was accurately perceiving the sounds from the top speakers.

WoodburyMan
12-03-2014, 03:45 PM
I originally did the installation with a Realtek Driver directly from Realtek's site (R2.75). I found I had the same issue. Sound only coming from the Sub. I didn't notice it at first. I removed it, then reinstalled with the driver from Asus' site (V6.0.1.7335) and all is well. Although.. the speaker design I believe is a little flawed. The majority of the sound for the left/right channels come out the rear of the laptop, behind the screen, near the vents for the CPU and GPU. That would be perfect if I was sitting behind the laptop... Instead I'm left hearing the majority of the sound outputted from the combined output of left/right on the "sub" speaker, which does not help in gaming at all when determining if a sound is coming from the left or the right. There's no easy way to disable the sub since it's wired into the physical left/right channels, not having it's own separate channel via software.

BRSxIgnition
12-03-2014, 04:09 PM
What was the point in creating a another thread for this same issue we were already discussing?

The other thread was filled with a lot of problem solving and babble to get where we are now, and was getting long. Now that I've condensed what we know into this page, it's easier to understand than going through 23+ pages of the old thread.

Also, the old thread stated it was a JT-CH71 issue, where we now know it affects all models.

geneticweapon
12-03-2014, 05:53 PM
I would bet most if not all people having the sound through the sub only issue are actually experiencing the above mentioned issue.

That's what I think also, I do not believe that there's multiple different sound problems. It's simply the fact that we're all perceiving the problem differently.

BRSxIgnition
12-03-2014, 06:46 PM
In fact at first I swore I had the sub only sound issue as described by others and even when pressing my ears against the top speakers; I wasn't sure that what I was hearing wasn't coming from the sub through the chassis. Only after adjusting the sound to full right channel and playing the test tones could I clearly distinguish sound from the top speakers with my ear as close as possible to it.

That's what I think also, I do not believe that there's multiple different sound problems. It's simply the fact that we're all perceiving the problem differently.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "Full Right Channel"? We've tested all the balance options after installing drivers, and only "Front" has had any impact on the volume level. Everything else at 100% also outputs nothing if Front is at 0%.

Can you elaborate?

xeromist
12-03-2014, 06:56 PM
In order to keep the discussion from fragmenting I locked the other thread. Keep in mind that even if a thread gets long you can always updated the first post to convey updates and if you can't edit a title a moderator can do it for you.

thamann2000
12-03-2014, 07:37 PM
New threads are great and neat. Fixes are better.

xeromist
12-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I'm a volunteer moderator so I have no more power to push for a fix than you do, sorry.

joshindaphils
12-04-2014, 03:31 AM
Can you be more specific about what you mean by "Full Right Channel"? We've tested all the balance options after installing drivers, and only "Front" has had any impact on the volume level. Everything else at 100% also outputs nothing if Front is at 0%.

Can you elaborate?

In the Realtek HD Audio Manager there is a R/L balance slider. Move that all the way to the right. This does not effect the volume of the sub it only isolates the right channel making it easier to distinguish the sound as the right speaker is the furthest from the sub.

geneticweapon
12-04-2014, 05:08 AM
In the Realtek HD Audio Manager there is a R/L balance slider. Move that all the way to the right. This does not effect the volume of the sub it only isolates the right channel making it easier to distinguish the sound as the right speaker is the furthest from the sub.

Yep, I agree. If I turn the left speaker down, and leave the right speaker turned up, it's extremely easy to hear sound from the right speaker.

ARX7Arbalest
12-04-2014, 07:02 AM
I installed the Audio Drivers from ASUS and I can also confirm that sound also comes out of the Right Speaker when adjusting the Balance of the audio.

So the real issue now is that most of the sound comes from the subwoofer. The loudness of the sound from the subwoofer is more dominant than the ones on the rear speakers.

BRSxIgnition
12-04-2014, 07:07 AM
I will test this tomorrow morning or evening - I can usually detect things like audio very well, and I know that right-test-tones do usually sound like they are coming more from the right, even when it is the same speaker. This, combined with the fact that the back speakers sound immensely different than the sub-only sound, leads me to thing it's more of a psychological effect of expecting the sound to come from the right, rather than it actually doing so.

Regardless - I will check as well and see if the above hold true.

joshindaphils
12-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I will test this tomorrow morning or evening - I can usually detect things like audio very well, and I know that right-test-tones do usually sound like they are coming more from the right, even when it is the same speaker. This, combined with the fact that the back speakers sound immensely different than the sub-only sound, leads me to thing it's more of a psychological effect of expecting the sound to come from the right, rather than it actually doing so.

Regardless - I will check as well and see if the above hold true.

There is nothing about a 'right' test tone that will make it sound as though it is coming from the right... it is simply a test tone delivered to the right channel there are no psychoacoustic manipulations.

I also tested with music the difference is most noticeable in the higher frequency ranges as the sub simply doesn't produce these frequencies as well as the R/L speakers. The test tone in the Realtek audio manager is of a much lower frequency. You may have better luck using something like this site: http://onlinetonegenerator.com to more clearly distinguish the front speakers.

Ekentuor
12-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi all, sorry for my bad english ... I think i've a fix for this ... Maybe just for me.

I had the problem on my first G751 and the new too (first with baklit problem ...), with Realtek drivers Asus site. In my sound panel I had two speakers, L+R and subwoofer ...
And with the Realtek Driver by Asus, no AudioWizard Installed on my computer.

I installed this driver for testing : 64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1 Driver only (Executable file)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Reboot and ... No speaker in the menu, no sound, nothing.

I reinstalled the previous driver by Asus and now sound look fine ... One speaker in the menu and AudioWizard is here ...

I'm lucky or ... ?

Richdog
12-04-2014, 09:20 PM
I reinstalled the previous driver by Asus and now sound look fine ... One speaker in the menu and AudioWizard is here ...

I'm lucky or ... ?

That just means the software sound drivers are correctly isntalled, not that your sound is working as intended.

thamann2000
12-04-2014, 10:05 PM
We are truly in the 11th hour here. People without extended return policies are having to decide whether to keep or send back. No resolutions. No temp fixes. No official statement from asus. No promise of reparations. Just a wait and see.

We must speak in the only way this company understands. With our dollars. So I say we give asus five days to make an official statement, issued a fix, make an offer of reparation, or at least explain when we can expect a fis.

Anyone agree? Light the Fire.

BRSxIgnition
12-05-2014, 02:31 AM
While I am one of the people with an extended warranty - it would be an absolute pain to return the machine then pick up a new one. (It would require I cross the border twice.) This is even worse for people who wont even be able to return their machine as soon as next week.

So yes, I agree that we ask that ASUS release a statement within the next 5 days - either that repairs will be FULLY covered for those with the issue or that a fix will be issued by Christmas.

Any less, and I will pledge to avoid buying ASUS in the future - after returning this machine of course. I cannot purchase a product what isn't checked thoroughly, and I cannot support a company that doesn't support its customers. (Both my technical inquiries got nowhere.)

I will test the "Right Balance" theory in about an hour or so, and post my results here.

PS: None of the above applies to you, MarshallR - I understand you are doing your best that you can do in your position. Please try and push for the above if possible, thank you very much in advance.

joshindaphils
12-05-2014, 02:50 AM
We are truly in the 11th hour here. People without extended return policies are having to decide whether to keep or send back. No resolutions. No temp fixes. No official statement from asus. No promise of reparations. Just a wait and see.

We must speak in the only way this company understands. With our dollars. So I say we give asus five days to make an official statement, issued a fix, make an offer of reparation, or at least explain when we can expect a fis.

Anyone agree? Light the Fire.

Not really... As someone that has has software delivery experience within large corps 2+ months turn around is realistic, any resolution would likely involve Asus and Realtek. Just look at the build time when you apply the latest BIOS and when it was posted for D/L it is nearly a month apart, now think about that, and this was to fix a far more critical issue; some USB HDDs failing to function properly on certain ports. In this example the final fix was created and when it was available to users is a ~month apart, there are good reasons that things take this long. On the other hand this speaker issue is not as critical... The sound works, it is not working as expected.

Honestly I am to the point that it may be working correctly it is just that the sound is totally underwhelming. Now frankly I consider sound from any laptop a last resort utilitarian feature, I have IEDs for traveling light, a portable DAC/Amp and some circumaurals for better sound and isolation, and a pair of monitors at my desk... if you care about sound you don't use ANY internal speaks this goes for TVs, Laptops, etc.

BRSxIgnition
12-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Honestly I am to the point that it may be working correctly it is just that the sound is totally underwhelming.

The sound shouldn't be SO underwhelming that loading GENERIC Windows drivers - ON THE SAME SPEAKERS - make it sound better.

joshindaphils
12-05-2014, 03:38 AM
The sound shouldn't be SO underwhelming that loading GENERIC Windows drivers - ON THE SAME SPEAKERS - make it sound better.

To be fair I haven't done this to A/B test, just trying to put things in perspective... Certainly the sound can and should be better, it is however better sound than my last laptop, it is far from unusable.

To boot MarshallR has stated it is being worked on. Things take time, things don't always work out to arbitrary deadlines set by oneself.

BRSxIgnition
12-05-2014, 03:43 AM

So... I've finally checked this, and after studying the results for a while - it seems like you're right.

All three speakers on my system work, but are immensely overshadowed by the subwoofer, to the point that I need to place my right ear up against my right speakers to hear them at all, with all the balance set to the right. When I listened carefully on medium balance (neither left nor right), I could hear sound out of both speakers in the back, but both were incredibly hard to hear, and I needed to push my ear against both to hear any of them, again, mainly because of the difference in volume because of the subwoofer.

Finally, I tried it with sound balance "All Left" and guess what? Left signals got pushed through the left speaker and subwoofer, but no right signal was heard. (The same occurred with using an "All Right" setup, but with the right speaker and no left signal was heard.)

To summarize, our issues are now this, as far as I'm concerned:

Sound plays through back speakers at about 30% (or lower) of the volume of the subwoofer.
The subwoofer receives the left and right signals, when it should not.
It is unknown if the subwoofer is receiving its own signal or not. (It is muddled in with the others)
None of the playback device settings change anything other than "Front" which adjusts all volume.

Any confirmation/debunking of these findings from others is greatly welcomed.

.... So what now?

joshindaphils
12-05-2014, 04:04 AM

.... So what now?

Update MarshallR / Asus support with the correct information as several reports including yours of sub only sound could be leading the remediation team down the wrong rabbit hole.

Update your first post / title.

Occasionally pushing MarshellR and support for remediation / feedback.

Decide if you can wait it out for a fix or not.

Your findings are in line with mine.

BRSxIgnition
12-05-2014, 04:15 AM
Decide if you can wait it out for a fix or not.

Your findings are in line with mine.

Alright, I've updated the thread and asked for a title change.

The first month of having this issue is 2 weeks away, I hope they have a stance on complimentary repairs or a date for the fix by then. (That's about all the time we have for those who got a G751JT on release without an extended warranty.

thamann2000
12-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Not really... As someone that has has software delivery experience within large corps 2+ months turn around is realistic, any resolution would likely involve Asus and Realtek. Just look at the build time when you apply the latest BIOS and when it was posted for D/L it is nearly a month apart, now think about that, and this was to fix a far more critical issue; some USB HDDs failing to function properly on certain ports. In this example the final fix was created and when it was available to users is a ~month apart, there are good reasons that things take this long. On the other hand this speaker issue is not as critical... The sound works, it is not working as expected.

Honestly I am to the point that it may be working correctly it is just that the sound is totally underwhelming. Now frankly I consider sound from any laptop a last resort utilitarian feature, I have IEDs for traveling light, a portable DAC/Amp and some circumaurals for better sound and isolation, and a pair of monitors at my desk... if you care about sound you don't use ANY internal speaks this goes for TVs, Laptops, etc.

Your setup and situation is totally unique. And you missed one of the key issues completed: proper testing would've eliminated the issue completely. Testing just 10 out of1000 systems would've showed them that this issue is present across the board. And how long did it take for them to acknowledge the issue. Do you know how many people told me and other users that this issue was just in our machines even after telling them that I made a return and tested a second one. And there's been no official word or response from asus at all. Me and many others have escalated emailed hit multiple message boards and the extent of acknowledgement was Marshall and hmscott saying to give it time. But man, contact asus and the first thing they tell you is that they are not able to do anything for the multitude of customers to make it right. So a company doesn't acknowledge the issue, then they provide no release or info on a fix, they don't respond properly to escalations, they tell you that even when fixed they will do nothing as reparation, and tell you to wait and hope they can fix it? How are they even in business? The only way you send a message to a company with service this poor is with your $$$ and by returning their products. If we don't start pushing they will take their sweet time and nothing will get done.

bsod
12-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Just received my g751jt yesterday and I thought based on the posts that I had avoided the subwoofer issue, but it looks like its the same issue everyone is experiencing.
I can confirm that my machine behaves the exact same way yours is. When running default Windows sound dialog, by default my Speakers are set to Realtek Hi Def Audio, and when running the test chime, I hear left/right chimes distinctly coming out of the right/left speakers but also out of the subwoofer at the same time for both.
Playing with the balance settings, I can mute the left/right channels individually, but the subwoofer levels slider has zero affect on the subwoofer.

If I right click -> Configure speakers, and choose 5.1 surround, I can selectively produce a chime from the L/R speakers. However, clicking on the subwoofer icon only causes the subwoofer speaker make distinct "on" and "off" sounds, but no other audio.

I did find out today that setting Audio Wizard's setting to "Off" gets rid of the annoying tinny sound the machine ships with. I have no idea why the machine would ship with the default of "multimedia" which looks like it clamps the max volume while cranking up the treble.

So... I've finally checked this, and after studying the results for a while - it seems like you're right.

To summarize, our issues are now this, as far as I'm concerned:

Sound plays through back speakers at about 30% (or lower) of the volume of the subwoofer.
The subwoofer receives the left and right signals, when it should not.
It is unknown if the subwoofer is receiving its own signal or not. (It is muddled in with the others)
None of the playback device settings change anything other than "Front" which adjusts all volume.

Sanctrum
12-05-2014, 09:54 AM
It all makes sense.
I have other gaming laptop from MSI that has subwoofer.
At MSI case, the design with subwoofer is simple.
Subwoofer ALWAYS combines the sound ONLY from L/R channels and at any circumstances.
So when it is 2.1, it combines channels L and R. But when it is 5.1 it STILL combines sound ONLY from L/R. So laptop’s sub is NOT the separate channel x.1 !
And it is still OK if you understand how it works… and only if you can swith-off the sub!
At MSI case you can always switch-off laptop’s sub BUT NOT using Realtec HD Audio interface… It is possible ONLY with the DEDICATED physical button located at the laptop’s case! So MSI avoided the problem/design flaw… by adding this button. Also MSI sub is located to the left side, so once it plays the music the sound balance is shifted to the left.

NOT sure it is possible to have this button equivalent available as software… I do not have G751, just planning to buy.

ARX7Arbalest
12-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Maybe they can do a BIOS fix and remap the Steam/Shadowplay Button to disable Sub.

viper3000
12-05-2014, 06:49 PM
I have installed VER.6.0.1.7231 and I think it is the better as ver. 7335...

pit_ns
12-06-2014, 02:20 AM
I wanted to buy g751 but I decided to wait for G750JY. When it is out I will decide what I want to do. In my opinion it should look better without all those red colors and hopefully won't have all those issues. I just hope it will have IPS panel and geforce 970m :)

BRSxIgnition
12-06-2014, 02:27 AM
I wanted to buy g751 but I decided to wait for G750JY. When it is out I will decide what I want to do. In my opinion it should look better without all those red colors and hopefully won't have all those issues. I just hope it will have IPS panel and geforce 970m :)

If this is true and it's as affordable as the G751 I may be tempted.

Though I wont have any extended warranty, so it'll be pointless to try buying before I KNOW that Asus has solved all their issues with it.

thamann2000
12-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Brs what are the odds this fixed by Christmas? What's your gut feeling? I think me and you are the two longest running ones on this issue.

Richdog
12-06-2014, 11:01 AM
`

WTF... why would they bring out a new model of an old design? I much prefer all black, but no idea why they have done this... are they trying to rub mud in the G751 owners faces?

favian.firdaus
12-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Hmm I am not sure if my laptop have this subwoofer problem or not but I can only hear sound from bottom left corner. It feels like I am hearing from portable Bluetooth speaker in 1900 dollar laptop.... Is it supposed to work like that?

Paco
12-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Hmm I am not sure if my laptop have this subwoofer problem or not but I can only hear sound from bottom left corner. It feels like I am hearing from portable Bluetooth speaker in 1900 dollar laptop.... Is it supposed to work like that?

Don't worry I had the same problem out of the box after purchasing my G751JM today. Follow the temp fix at the start of this thread and wait for the update. I was really worried too that some idiot had designed a great laptop with both speakers on the left - what a relief it was to find this thread.
:eek:

ARX7Arbalest
12-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Usually Asus fixes this in 1 or 2 months once a rep has been notified.

BRSxIgnition
12-07-2014, 06:03 AM
Thing is, most people have only 1 week left to wait before sending theirs back. Those of us lucky enough to order from Amazon have a month and a bit - and nothing is guaranteed.

What we really want at this point is a guarantee that the issue will be fixed, and/or a guarantee that we willl be covered for repairs & replacements if it can't be patched with software.

Otherwise, I can guarantee that ASUS will lose a ton of customers. - both future and present - as they no doubt already have due to people avoiding the G751 after hearing about its issues.

MarshallR is trying his best, but he cant save a company that doesn't care on his own.

Paco
12-07-2014, 04:05 PM
this thread needs to be a sticky

Paco
12-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I've created this thread to condense the information we've gathered on this issue over the course of the old thread, which can be found here. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53560-G751JT-CH71-Sound-only-playing-through-subwoofer-FIX)

Current Fix Status:
Under Investigation

Description:

The subwoofer receives the left and right signals, when it should not. This can be changed with balance.

To test, play test tones/music, and play with the balance in the "Realtek Audio Manager" program that is installed with the drivers. To hear either of the back speakers, you will need to place your ear against them - even then, it may be hard to hear them over the sound of the subwoofer, which will be playing the same sounds.

**If you do test your machine and do NOT have the issue, please provide your model number and follow the "dump" instructions below, adding that your "speakers work as intended" in the Private Message to MarshallR.

This issue is known to arise both brand new "out of box" units as well as on units where the OS has been cloned or reinstalled on a new drive and the ASUS Support Site drivers have been used. All G751 Models can have this issue.

How you can help:
You can help by following MarshallR's Audio Dump directions below, if you have the issue. (Even more so if you follow them and don't!*)

*If you don't have the issue and are providing a dump file, please explain that it is a dump file from a WORKING SETUP!

Temporary Fix:
As mentioned in the description, the speakers still work fine, proving that the issue is Software, not Hardware-related.

To get your Left & Right back speakers working correctly:

Right click on "PC", click "Manage" and go to "Device Manager."
Select "Sound, Video & Game Controllers", and right click the Realtek Device. (There should only be one.) Select uninstall.
Make sure "Uninstall Driver Software?" or similar is checked. Confirm.
Either reboot or right click your PC name at the top of Device Manager list. Click "Scan for new Hardware Changes."
Go to "Audio Playback Devices" by right clicking the speaker symbol on the task bar on the right.
Select the other "Speakers" option, right click, and set as default. These are your back speakers. Test.
Viola.

Enjoy your tinny-back speakers with no sub until we get a fix from ASUS. Until then, keep checking in here for updates, and let us know if you find anything!

While trying to fix this issue (before finding this thread) I seem to have deleted all my speakers. Currently when I go to "Audio Play Back Devices" there is nothing there. How can I fix this? I have system sounds - but no audio other than that.

viper3000
12-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Me too. I have uninstalled Realtek driver according MarshallR,s fix and I no listen no sound.(from back side) :( I am without sound.What is this?

Paco
12-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Me too. I have uninstalled Realtek driver according MarshallR,s fix and I no listen no sound.(from back side) :( I am without sound.What is this?

I reloaded the drivers from
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30
and my sound is back!

toronto699
12-07-2014, 11:11 PM
While trying to fix this issue (before finding this thread) I seem to have deleted all my speakers. Currently when I go to "Audio Play Back Devices" there is nothing there. How can I fix this? I have system sounds - but no audio other than that.

if nothing is in the "Audio Play Back Devices" u are missing some windows files, try "windows restore" "Refresh Your PC without affecting your files" option
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54159-Sound-issue-No-playback-devices-installed-Intermittent-audio-through-HDMI is your :audio play back devices: like the first pic in this thread?

viper3000
12-07-2014, 11:34 PM
I know where is problem. Back side speakers no playing VOCALS. I have used POTPlayer when i have identifdied problem. Only subwoofer plays Vocals.
I think that back side speakers and subwoofer has conversely purpose.

joshindaphils
12-07-2014, 11:36 PM
this thread needs to be a sticky

I second this call. Also for the HDD / high current devices on left side USB port issue. That way it is easy to find resolution or discussion of known issues.

BRSxIgnition
12-08-2014, 03:43 AM
I think that back side speakers and subwoofer has conversely purpose.

Do you mean that the drivers are seeing the subwoofer as the speakers and the speakers as the subwoofer?

If so, I'm inclined to agree - it would make sense, at least I think.

viper3000
12-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Do you mean that the drivers are seeing the subwoofer as the speakers and the speakers as the subwoofer?

If so, I'm inclined to agree - it would make sense, at least I think.

Yes, I have used Pot Player .....I turn off vocals my subwoofer remain silent -back speakers plays sound(no vocals).

Richdog
12-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Hmm but surely it would be a simple fix if it was simply a case of being the wrong way around? Im stunned that we still have no word back on this issue from ASUS or MarshallR yet.

viper3000
12-08-2014, 02:40 PM
If Asus not solved this problem with audio. I will return laptop and never again buy asus (G). Because I bought G75 and I have had also problem with subwoofer.
(sorry for me bad english it isn't me language)

darkonex
12-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Man I'm sad, I was about to pull the trigger on this G751 but now I'm definitely not after hearing about this issue. Sucks! Is there any other laptops like this one out on the market in the $1500-$1700 price range that has IPS screen, GTX 970, and allows multiple HDDs installed?

viper3000
12-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Man I'm sad, I was about to pull the trigger on this G751 but now I'm definitely not after hearing about this issue. Sucks! Is there any other laptops like this one out on the market in the $1500-$1700 price range that has IPS screen, GTX 970, and allows multiple HDDs installed?

darkonex ....I think that this is the BEst noteboook....but it has problem with audio ...Could you wait 2 weeks and we will see...

darkonex
12-08-2014, 04:54 PM
darkonex ....I think that this is the BEst noteboook....but it has problem with audio ...Could you wait 2 weeks and we will see...

I dunno, 2 weeks it'll about be xmas and this is supposed to be my xmas gift yo! However I haven't seen another laptop with these specs that fit my bill so I will probably have to wait.

BRSxIgnition
12-08-2014, 05:02 PM
So.. We're past the week where we were waiting for the update on the patch...

What's happening, MarshallR, ASUS?

How will you deal with this issue that is scaring away so many customers and ruining ties with existing buyers? We want a guarantee that the issue will be patched by new years or we will be covered for repairs - Is that happening or not?

PS: (Any car manufacturer that had a speaker problem like this would have called all the affected cars in by now. If they shipped out this many bad ones in the first place.)

geneticweapon
12-08-2014, 05:43 PM
How will you deal with this issue that is scaring away so many customers and ruining ties with existing buyers?

The reviews for these notebooks have been pretty good. I don't think Asus is as concerned with this issue as we'd like to believe they are.

Honestly, I'm now more concerned about the track pad that's starting to pop up on my notebook, than I am with the speaker issue. The whole right side of my track pad is sticking out over the palm rest, and even after I squish it back down, it pops back up after a few minutes. It's held on with two-sided tape aparently.

BRSxIgnition
12-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Thankfully my Trackpad is fine.

I've updated the first post with what we currently (beyond reasonable doubt) believe the issue to be. Currently we believe the Subwoofer is receiving the speaker signals and vice versa.

thamann2000
12-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Msi gt72 dominator pro in red gets sexier everyday.

Paco
12-08-2014, 07:47 PM
if nothing is in the "Audio Play Back Devices" u are missing some windows files, try "windows restore" "Refresh Your PC without affecting your files" option
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54159-Sound-issue-No-playback-devices-installed-Intermittent-audio-through-HDMI is your :audio play back devices: like the first pic in this thread?

yes exactly like that - I managed to get the sound back by downloading Realtek drivers from Asus support page. But when I try the Temp Fix detailed above I dont have the "other" speakers to tick. The temp fix did work when I first booted up the computer (from new) - and I tried a system restore but that did not change anything. I assume once the fix comes I'll be alright though - since I got the "broken" sound back.

hmscott
12-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Msi gt72 dominator pro in red gets sexier everyday.

The Grass is Always Greener...

MSI Global English Forum > GAMING > GAMING Notebooks > GT72 Dominator (Pro) Discussion Board
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=121.0

MSI Global English Forum > GAMING > GAMING Notebooks
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=71.0

The performance isn't as good, the quality isn't as good, the same driver and configuration issues exist with Wifi / Network / Nvidia, the cooling goes bad - even when it doesn't start out well - because they use poor methods and materials for pasting, the fans are loud, the screens suck - they don't have IPS screens on all/many GT72's, and if you thought the Red Accents on the cool black case look showy on the G751 - check out the keyboard light show and bright Red Dragon's on the MSI's :)

When the Realtek driver was fixed on the G750, the G750 Audio blows away the MSI audio... I have compared side by side.

Eventually this will get fixed, and the sound will be back. G750 owners went through a milder form of this too. It sucked then, and a lot of time was spent on it, look at the Sticky in the G750 forum, and that thread started *after* finding the interim solution before the new driver came out. There are lots of other threads in the archive about it, some large threads on the subject seem to be gone now...

Waves MaxxAudio gone??? [solved ?]
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34135-Waves-MaxxAudio-gone-solved&p=276215&viewfull=1#post276215

Marshall's Fix announcement
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34135-Waves-MaxxAudio-gone-solved&p=308908&viewfull=1#post308908

Notice the months passing between post #1 and #15

And, as a heads up, Spybot Search and Destroy needs to be uninstalled before installing Realtek drivers, post #111
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34135-Waves-MaxxAudio-gone-solved&p=440353&viewfull=1#post440353

Relax and enjoy your laptop, kick back and don't sweat it, it might be a while before a fix is ready.

bsod
12-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Is anyone experiencing buzzing vibration sounds in their subwoofer speaker when playing audio? I know I have the same non-performing subwoofer issue on my machine, but this buzzing thing seems new on mine.

I have the Asus Audio what's it called program set to off, and volume was set around 50-60% this weekend.
Played AC4, and also had a session using Adobe Connect or something for a class, and both times the speaker buzzed annoyingly like something was vibrating loosely in the speaker. It's a similar sound when a speaker is failing. I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before.

This is pretty much the stock machine without any audio driver updates or anything except for Win 8.1 updates.

BRSxIgnition
12-08-2014, 11:13 PM
That's because the subwoofer isn't built to receive the regular speaker's signals. There's too much Treble for what it is designed to do.

Try the fix on the first page of this thread, and let us know if anything changes. (Lowering the volume should also lower the buzzing)

BRSxIgnition
12-09-2014, 04:39 PM
I've decided - I'm returning my machine if there is no fix or replacement program available/announced by new years. (January 1st)

I like the power the machine has, but it's not worth so many flaws. Even my old PC had less flaws. (Which is why I replaced it - because of the flaws. Go figure.)

thamann2000
12-09-2014, 08:02 PM
I bought myself a few days from Amazon but I don't even have till then. Have to give a serious look to an XOTICPC custom pc (for their support) or MSI. it's sad too because when working 100% this is the best computer for the price out there. Oh well. Can't put a price tag on customer service and support can you?

crudetrader
12-09-2014, 11:17 PM
thanks for the tip on xoticpc, was not familiar with them, they seem to be very good

toronto699
12-10-2014, 02:40 AM
I bought my G751-JY-DH72X with 3ssd HDs from hidevolution.com no problems custom build for my needs. only 50$ shipping to Canada. return policy and support seemed worth it as well . very happy with them
http://www.hidevolution.com/new-laptops/asus-g751jy-dh72x-i7-4860hq-4gb-nvidia-gtx-980m-17-3.html

dapogz
12-10-2014, 04:39 AM
The Grass is Always Greener...

Relax and enjoy your laptop, kick back and don't sweat it, it might be a while before a fix is ready.

Hope we get the Fix this Christmas.. That would be the "BEST CHRiSTMAS GiFT EVERRR" :rolleyes:

Paco
12-10-2014, 04:56 AM
has there been any official response as to a future fix?

BRSxIgnition
12-10-2014, 05:25 AM
has there been any official response as to a future fix?

Other than the responses to my PM two weeks ago, no - MarshallR (and by extension, ASUS) has gone quiet.

hmscott
12-10-2014, 05:27 AM
Hope we get the Fix this Christmas.. That would be the "BEST CHRiSTMAS GiFT EVERRR" :rolleyes:

dapogz, given the holiday season, not sure how many days are lost at Asus for the holidays, it is likely it will be sometime in January, but one never knows, it could happen at any time. Historically it has been about 3-4 months from problem awareness to a fix - but sometimes it is shorter/longer.

If your return time is the end of January - Amazon and others give that for Christmas / season sales - you might hear the announcement of the fix before you need to return.

Maybe a nice desktop speaker system is the thing to ask Santa for this Xmas :)

BRSxIgnition
12-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Maybe a nice desktop speaker system is the thing to ask Santa for this Xmas :)

hmscott, while I appreciate the levity - what we need is proper quality checking and working laptops.

What will someone do if they need the speakers on the go, are they simply SOL?

I have a desktop speaker system and I am the one that brought this issue to the attention of - at least - MarshallR. (Alas, I'm not sure about Asus yet...)

Richdog
12-10-2014, 06:23 AM
hmscott, while I appreciate the levity - what we need is proper quality checking and working laptops.

I have a desktop speaker system and I am the one that brought this issue to the attention of - at least - MarshallR. (Alas, I'm not sure about Asus yet...)

hmscott seems to be an ASUS apologiser who doesn't even own this laptop and yet seems to spend more than half his time posting about it and making irrelevant comments about how people should just enjoy the laptop and not complain about its faults... on a support forum. Bizzarre.

Paco
12-10-2014, 07:07 AM
just guessing here ... but is it possible that they wired the speakers wrong in some models i.e. mixing up the right speaker with the sub. Left speaker seems to be working fine, sub is acting as a speaker and right speaker is very muted .... so it could make sense.

BRSxIgnition
12-10-2014, 07:15 AM
just guessing here ... but is it possible that they wired the speakers wrong in some models i.e. mixing up the right speaker with the sub. Left speaker seems to be working fine, sub is acting as a speaker and right speaker is very muted .... so it could make sense.

This is the exact reason I always mention "... and/or cover repair/replacement costs..." every time I ask for a promise of a fix.

The issue could be Drivers mixing up the locations of the speakers with each other, but it could just as easily be the actual wiring being reversed. We don't know yet, and there still has been no update on what the issue is or isn't from MarshallD or Asus.

If it turns out that software cannot fix the issue, they should be completely at fault for our repair/replacement costs, and cover them, as the issue was never our fault.

If I hear nothing back by early January or either a fix or repair coverage, my G751 is going back.

hmscott
12-10-2014, 07:24 AM

BRSxIgnition, I appreciate the difficulties that the G751 owners are going through right now, we G750 owners went through the same thing for 4 months - staying positive with each other and focused on the good got us through it.

We all hung together, helping each other out with alternatives to use while waiting for the fixes from Asus / Realtek. Noone was shouted down for helpful suggestions, and many were given because of that attitude of sharing to pass the time pleasantly, waiting for the fix. It was most gratifying and helped build the forum into what it is today.

If you want to run the Official Thread you might be more encouraging to those that try to share their method of getting through the waiting. Noone has anything else to share, because they can't solve the problem by providing a fix.

Hanging out on the precipice staring down into the abyss isn't going to make the time go happily and smoothly :)

There is nothing anyone in the forum, including Marshall, that can do anything to fix this right now, constantly regressing and moaning about it isn't going to help everyone through this.

You have a good solution - your own external speakers... others have said they used external speakers before and tried to share the details of their interim solution, but were shouted down for their kind effort at sharing, simply because they didn't have a solution or fix to offer.

Again, noone is going to have a solution until Asus and Realtek release it.

The solutions to encourage now are sharing what external speakers, fixed and mobile, headphones wireless and wired, hookups to home theaters and stereo systems, and share all the details, Product URL's, Xmas Sales URL's, special situations, funny pictures and all the things that go with that.

Sharing how to get through the next 2-3 months is where the comfort is, and that sharing can come from everyone between now and the release of the patch to get the internal speakers working.

Sharing how one is giving up, missing out on the other 99% of the awesome laptop, isn't helping anyone - it is driving people away.

When I heard about the new G751, I consciously waited through the initial release this time, because I have a perfectly functional G750JH. If I didn't already have the G750JH I would have gotten the G751 even with the driver problem with the speakers, and used headphones and external speakers until the fix arrived. Just like we did with the G750.

Anyone else looking at the G751 without a good gaming laptop right now should be encouraged to still go ahead and get one.

We didn't drive people away from getting a G750 because of the Realtek problem, because it was the best laptop out at the time, that is why we bought it. We weren't going to lose out on it just because the built-in speakers weren't working well.

Enjoy what you have, and you will love life, complain about the littlest nit in what you have, and you will always be dissatisfied.

It's really up to you. :)

Paco
12-10-2014, 07:33 AM
yeah I see that you have been at it for a while - I only got mine 3 days ago. How do I contact this this Marshall guy? I can't give mine back - I bought it in store with interest free instalments - so I can only claim under the guarantee probably. How many people would you guess are affected by this issue?

BRSxIgnition
12-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Hmscott, I want whatever you're having - oh wait, it's the absence of a G751. Also - we've established this - having desktop speakers is not a solution.

Me and many others have a problem and are rightfully ticked off by it - I fully understand that a fix may take a while, but we were told there would be an update last week, and we've got nothing. Hence why I am "regressing."

I - and others, if they're lucky - have just over a month until they are forced to return this machine, and if they don't do anything by then, it's their loss. That's all it comes down to. If you've got nothing else to wall-of-text about (See! It's a verb now.) then please do not post here until you actually have a G751 like we do - because then you may actually help. Otherwise, you're an outsider looking in, and it's not helping.

We'll get positive if we have a reason to, and get negative if we have a reason to, we're not all star-eyed optimists like you seem to be.

Paco
12-10-2014, 07:44 AM
BRSxIgnition, I appreciate the difficulties that the G751 owners are going through right now, we G750 owners went through the same thing for 4 months - staying positive with each other and focused on the good got us through it.

We all hung together, helping each other out with alternatives to use while waiting for the fixes from Asus / Realtek. Noone was shouted down for helpful suggestions, and many were given because of that attitude of sharing to pass the time pleasantly, waiting for the fix. It was most gratifying and helped build the forum into what it is today.

If you want to run the Official Thread you might be more encouraging to those that try to share their method of getting through the waiting. Noone has anything else to share, because they can't solve the problem by providing a fix.

Hanging out on the precipice staring down into the abyss isn't going to make the time go happily and smoothly :)

There is nothing anyone in the forum, including Marshall, that can do anything to fix this right now, constantly regressing and moaning about it isn't going to help everyone through this.

You have a good solution - your own external speakers... others have said they used external speakers before and tried to share the details of their interim solution, but were shouted down for their kind effort at sharing, simply because they didn't have a solution or fix to offer.

Again, noone is going to have a solution until Asus and Realtek release it.

The solutions to encourage now are sharing what external speakers, fixed and mobile, headphones wireless and wired, hookups to home theaters and stereo systems, and share all the details, Product URL's, Xmas Sales URL's, special situations, funny pictures and all the things that go with that.

Sharing how to get through the next 2-3 months is where the comfort is, and that sharing can come from everyone between now and the release of the patch to get the internal speakers working.

Sharing how one is giving up, missing out on the other 99% of the awesome laptop, isn't helping anyone - it is driving people away.

When I heard about the new G751, I consciously waited through the initial release this time, because I have a perfectly functional G750JH. If I didn't already have the G750JH I would have gotten the G751 even with the driver problem with the speakers, and used headphones and external speakers until the fix arrived. Just like we did with the G750.

Anyone else looking at the G751 without a good gaming laptop right now should be encouraged to still go ahead and get one.

We didn't drive people away from getting a G750 because of the Realtek problem, because it was the best laptop out at the time, that is why we bought it. We weren't going to lose out on it just because the built-in speakers weren't working well.

Enjoy what you have, and you will love life, complain about the littlest nit in what you have, and you will always be dissatisfied.

It's really up to you. :)

well hold on a minute .... a faulty product is a faulty product. The lack of any official information (not necessarily a fix but just some info) doesn't exactly help. As far as concerns the suggestion that external speakers are a "good workaround" that would only be true if Asus provided those speakers free of charge. As it is, I would have to be a real ******* to recommend someone buy this product as it seems to have a major fault (on multiple systems) with no official information on any likely fix.

Paco
12-10-2014, 07:47 AM
.....and they haven't even made this thread a sticky!

hmscott
12-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Never mind, I tried. :)

This has happened with Realtek drivers before, it gets solved, it takes time, there is nothing you can do about it except find a work around or take it back.

Pestering Marshall isn't going to get it fixed any sooner, but please do file a Technical Inquiry with Asus, or a Complaint Feedback, whether you keep the G751 or not, I encourage you to let Asus know your G751 is faulty.

joshindaphils
12-10-2014, 08:22 AM

This has happened with Realtek drivers before, it gets solved, it takes time, there is nothing you can do about it except find a work around or take it back.

Pestering Marshall isn't going to get it fixed any sooner, but filing a Technical Inquiry with Asus, or a Complaint Feedback whether you keep the G751 or not, I encourage you to let Asus know your G751 is faulty.

Keep fighting the good fight Hmscott, some of us have appreciation for your efforts here. Others seam to have more interested in complaining then anything else (particular reference to the USB port thread).

I share you attitude as well, and have the G751 for what it is worth.

Other than this issue my laptop is working perfectly, waiting for the fix is not a particular concern of mine.

Paco
12-10-2014, 08:25 AM

Pestering Marshall isn't going to get it fixed any sooner, but filing a Technical Inquiry with Asus, or a Complaint Feedback whether you keep the G751 or not, I encourage you to let Asus know your G751 is faulty.

I thought Marshall was from Asus ...... it says Asus HQ on his description and I thought this was an official Asus forum. I will try other options then as you suggest .... but considering that this is happening on multiple systems it is they that should be contacting me and other customers to put our minds at rest.

hmscott
12-10-2014, 08:49 AM
I thought Marshall was from Asus ...... it says Asus HQ on his description and I thought this was an official Asus forum. I will try other options then as you suggest .... but considering that this is happening on multiple systems it is they that should be contacting me and other customers to put our minds at rest.

Paco, this is a owner to owner supported forum, hosted by Asus, and moderated by users.

We ROG owners, past and present, try to help out, sharing the solutions to new owners first questioning their experiences with their laptop. Reassuring them their fans are running often enough, and how to monitor the temperatures to self assure things are working well and as intended.

Usually the problems are easily solved and only require the patience to help the individual through the realization of the issues, stepping them through the process, and explaining the options for s solution. And, hanging in there as a group until the new owner's problem is resolved, or isolated to a hardware problem that requires a return, or RMA.

There are some Asus people here, like Marshall, that support the site, and do their best among their other tasks to feedback what they see here, and people like cl-albert will take PM's for users with extreme cases stuck in support. You will see Marshall's name on many of the articles posted in the main section outside the forums.

The Asus people here aren't the people you contact for support, you need to contact support directly to file an RMA or ask questions.

Like most large companies today, Asus front line support people use a runbook to give assistance, then escalate to the next level should they not have an adequate answer, it can take a number of email exchanges before a solution is given.

That's where these forums help out new owners. They can read the archive of posts, searching for their specific issue, or post a question or observation to get a response, usually 24/7 there is someone here to help.

The owners that came here for help, stay and help others, many thousands of people over the years, and many that don't post but only read quietly on their own and find the solution themselves from the existing postings.

There are some situations, like this, where there is no solution available, but history shows a solution in the form of a driver fix comes around in it's own time to resolve the problem.

There is little we can do toward a fix in this situation, that is up to the driver writers, but we try to bring new owners up to speed on the situation, be positive in suggesting they either take it back if they can't live with the problem and the work arounds for now, and provide support with alternatives until the fix arrives, if they decide to keep their laptop.

Welcome to the ROG Forums :)

ARX7Arbalest
12-10-2014, 10:34 AM
I have filed a complaint at ASUS website and it's already 2 days and it's still processing. I'm going to try and experiment with the Windows Registry if I can switch/remap the speakers from there to test out the theory of reverse speaker/subwoofer sound.

Others are welcome to try or give input if they have experience with doing this. Here is an article on remapping the speakers on a desktop via registry but essentially it should be the same with a laptop.

http://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/

polo1jcw
12-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Just got my G751 JY. I can only tell the sound control for the front is the only one that is functional. Other than that sound is ok. Coming from both sides. I'm Not gona be bothered with the sound problem because there are other things I think are much more important.

PS: is there a post to show how to update bios? :)

Volador
12-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Polo just use the winflash utility, i think my JY model had it pre-installed. Updating the bios is super easy with that utility. You can find it on windows metro by pressing the magnifying glass and writing winflash.

viper3000
12-10-2014, 07:19 PM
I found out that ASUS G751JY has sound OK. I hope that Marshal and Asus FIX this problem.

Pingo
12-10-2014, 08:21 PM
I have the exactly same problem here. Just bought it yesterday, fresh out of box. ASUS representatives, it has to be fixed asap. So far no reply to my ticket as well.

thamann2000
12-10-2014, 09:10 PM
I like you hmscott but you sound like a huge asus apologizer on page 8. We all including brs have the right to voice our demands and frustrations. Starting a thread and being all peaches and cream doesn't help anything. Explaining to aces not just on this message board but on all message boards that will excepted that we are not going to standby with a flawed product and just take it is the best route I can say to getting things done.

It took how many people getting upset and filing escalations and complaints just to get asus to ackknowledge there was even a problem. Look at how hard they try to say there was nothing wrong. It's bad business and bad customer service.

What BRS is asking for is completely reasonable. A timeframe on repairs and to know that all repairs will be covered. I know that I bought a Square trade warranty that I haven't even been able to start yet because I don't know if this laptop is going to work anyway. And I am sick and tired of hearing that speakers are the answer. The whole reason I got a laptop is to be able to take it on the go with just the bare necessities. I don't need to carry around a speaker system into a hotel or into a training class.

I think BRS is actually being very tame. As I have called for the mass return of any and all aces products until we get a response. Everything that I have a cyst that is return eligible is going back if we don't see a affix or update from the company directly soon. No more waiting no more games no more buying time. Because every week when I checked his board it seems like the timeline for repair is pushed out further and further. I just want this laptop to be what it could. Until that happens we cannot let up. This would be a much softer blow if anybody at Asus had responded to me or anyone else in this form to show that they gave a damn. Sorry if some things I said have errors I use voice text

thamann2000
12-10-2014, 09:13 PM
And I'm tired of people calling this nitpicky or a minor issue. This is SOUND this is serious in terms of a laptops performance.

xeromist
12-10-2014, 10:32 PM
And I'm tired of people calling this nitpicky or a minor issue. This is SOUND this is serious in terms of a laptops performance.

I think a lot of people just don't use laptop speakers. I know mine are always muted and I always use headphones/earbuds when I want sound. However, that doesn't mean people can say it's a minor issue for *you*. If you have a need for internal speakers then for you this is indeed a problem.

hmscott
12-10-2014, 10:44 PM
thamann2000, t's not nit-picky, the sound problem needs to get fixed.

What I have been trying to point out all along, by sharing the similar situation we had with the G750 last year, is that it isn't going to get fixed quickly. There seems to be an air of immediacy in the expectation of a fix, and that isn't likely.

It took 3 - 4 months, from June/July 2013 to the end of September 2013, from problem notice to Asus to a fixed installer package version from Realtek for all models in the G750 line. See the post above with the links to post #1 and #15 for the G750 MaxxAudio sticky post.

The only useful action to take is for everyone with the problem to file a Technical Inquiry stating they have the sound problem, and additionally contact Asus via the other channels, Feedback (complaint) form, Chat, phone call. Whatever you need to do to get a personal individual connection to Asus to communicate that your G751 has the problem and that you expect Asus to fix it.

I encourage people to return their laptop if they aren't happy with it, and can't go 2-3 months without a solution. It's not fair to ask anyone to go through waiting for a fix if it has an adverse effect on them. It's also not realistic to hope for a fix sooner than that. It might happen, but historically the timeline from finding a problem like this to a fix is 3-4 months, and we are coming up on the first month now.

What you took as apologizing for Asus was me trying to put things in perspective based on previous experiences, not just with the Realtek driver, but with Nvidia drivers, ATI drivers, network drivers, etc. It takes time to get the process through to completion, but for me every time so far, Asus has come through with a fix.

Anger, frustration, and false expectations are to be avoided in a situation like this. There is no benefit in letting it get to you. If you can't put it in perspective, and can't let go of the frustration, then I recommend taking the laptop back now and save yourself the agony of potentially waiting for 2-3 more months for a solution.

If you can hang in there, then do that too. I hung in there with my G750's, and so did most everyone else at the time. Some people did return it for the audio problem, but it made me feel bad that they were losing out on the laptop because of it. The rest of us passed the time trading headphone's info, wired / wireless speakers info, and home theater info - and playing games.

That's enough from me, I shared my experience, and I hope it helped some if not all of you with this audio problem to get through it. :)

Joystick
12-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Usually to overcome the feeling of abandonment by a multinational company hurting their sales is a good way to "wake Sleeping Beauty".
I suppose none of you have heard of a website called Youtube. :rolleyes:

thamann2000
12-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Hmscott. I get what you are saying but if you read your posts you are making it sound like 2-4 months is the industry "norm". It's not. And the fact that it has happened multiple times with asus is the exact reason why so many people are upset. Maybe if you guys put your feet down and got frustrated and took a stand it wouldn't be happening to us this time. Asus now believes it's ok to take months to fix a problem. Maybe if 2000 people return laptops that are faulty asus warehouse will be inundated and see that "whoa. This is a lot of screwed up computers and we lost a lot of money. Maybe next time quality control should step up."

Staying silent doesn't do anything. I'm not saying loot and burn. I'm saying protest peacefully but be heard

thamann2000
12-10-2014, 11:21 PM
agreed joystick. The constant praise of the faulty product and telling the benefits of waiting don't normally wake anyone

toronto699
12-10-2014, 11:39 PM
For All Canadians , with asus issues audio is very important to me , I cannot carry around a set of desktop speakers every where I go
www.ellenroseman.com

hmscott
12-11-2014, 12:39 AM
Hmscott. I get what you are saying but if you read your posts you are making it sound like 2-4 months is the industry "norm". It's not. And the fact that it has happened multiple times with asus is the exact reason why so many people are upset. Maybe if you guys put your feet down and got frustrated and took a stand it wouldn't be happening to us this time. Asus now believes it's ok to take months to fix a problem. Maybe if 2000 people return laptops that are faulty asus warehouse will be inundated and see that "whoa. This is a lot of screwed up computers and we lost a lot of money. Maybe next time quality control should step up."

Staying silent doesn't do anything. I'm not saying loot and burn. I'm saying protest peacefully but be heard

thamann2000, actually it is the industry norm, unless there was already a fix in the pipeline. Engineers are backed up with work on new projects, and getting them off those projects and on to a problem takes time - I am talking about Realtek, not Asus - Asus doesn't make the drivers for the sound system. And in this case Realtek may need to get MaxxAudio involved in the fix.

Maybe it will take shorter, maybe longer, I don't know, noone knows, but I do know it always takes more time than has been discussed here.

If the return period from the seller is ending, then I would recommend returning the G751 if you have the audio problem. Watch the forums and wait for the fix before repurchasing, if you are still in the market.

Have I ever said to stay silent?, I have said to file the problem wtih Asus, make your individual problem known. Make the noise that makes a difference, everything else is just wasted energy and making the lives of everyone miserable with no positive effect.

Returning the laptop, and waiting for a solution fix to arrive before buying it again is a reasonable reaction. You may be without the laptop for months, but then again if it is useless to you in it's current operating mode, then it's the same either way.

BRSxIgnition
12-11-2014, 03:08 AM
Hmscott,

I do not want to argue about semantics or optimism vs. pessimism with you or anyone else anymore, what I want is simple and easy for ASUS to do:

A timeline or a guarantee.

I want either:

MarshallR (or Asus Directly) to promise that a fix is not only possible, but being worked on, along with an estimated date for its release.
or
MarshallR (or ASUS Directly) to promise that any computers with the issue will be covered by the company for repairs AND 2-way shipping. (If the issue is hardware related)

... by January 1st.

Neither of these are asking too much, especially considering that none of the blame for the issue is ours. We spent our money on their product expecting support if issues arise, and they did.

Mazdabater
12-11-2014, 03:45 AM
This thread is such a dissapointment for me to find. I have just sent my g75vw in for replacement under extended warranty due to it having the restart issue and have ordered a g751 as the replacement. I put up with crap audio on the g75vw for it's life due to the ****ty drivers by asus, I was really looking foward to having decent speakers on the new one but it seems I'm missing out again.

hmscott
12-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Hmscott,

I do not want to argue about semantics or optimism vs. pessimism with you or anyone else anymore, what I want is simple and easy for ASUS to do:

A timeline or a guarantee.

I want either:

MarshallR (or Asus Directly) to promise that a fix is not only possible, but being worked on, along with an estimated date for its release.
or
MarshallR (or ASUS Directly) to promise that any computers with the issue will be covered by the company for repairs AND 2-way shipping. (If the issue is hardware related)

... by January 1st.

Neither of these are asking too much, especially considering that none of the blame for the issue is ours. We spent our money on their product expecting support if issues arise, and they did.

BRSxIgnition, it sure sounds reasonable to me, but I don't know if Marshall is the one to approve that commitment, or if Asus would do that, but they should. I would send that off to Marshall and Asus Support before returning the G751 to give Asus a chance to respond, Marshall might need to find the right person to respond, and that might take time so send it to him early.

It was a little easier with our G750 situation, we had hacked the installer and had a work around before long, so waiting for the fix was a little easier, some had a lot of trouble making the hack work, so for some it wasn't any easier, fortunately Realtek/Asus released a working driver update that fixed the problem for everyone. I don't know if that will happen this time too, every time something like this happens, you don't know for sure it will be fixed until it is fixed.

I would recommend protecting oneself and return the G751 at the end of your seller's return period. If you want to wait for a fix, it's better to wait with the cash back in your hands and repurchase the G751 when the fix releases, that is the only way to be sure. Especially if you couldn't live with the laptop without a fix in the long run, it's better to be careful and keep the cash / options with you.

It's also a nice excuse to try out another brand/model while you are waiting :)

I hope it works out before you need to return it BRSxIgnition!!

d0r1n
12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
scott i changed the 4 laptop today and it has the same problems:bleed,usb left defective and sound coming from the left

all are defective and i gave up changing them

hmscott
12-11-2014, 04:12 PM
scott i changed the 4 laptop today and it has the same problems:bleed,usb left defective and sound coming from the left

all are defective and i gave up changing them

d0r1n, this is the Audio problem thread, the USB problem thread is here:

G751 - Problem with USB3.0 ports (left side) and external HD... anyone else?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else&p=456615&viewfull=1#post456615

Did you try disabling the power saving for the internal USB hubs with Device Manager on your G750?, and on your external USB drives?

See posts #56, #59, #60.

Western Digital acknowledges compatibility problems with some USB controllers and their advanced power management exchange, read post #59 there and follow the link to Western Digital.

Seagate's support site requires a bit more specific info for the search so use your device info there to find support from them for USB 3.0 disconnects.

It won't help for either of these problems to change out the laptop, all of the G751's exhibit these problems. Others have already reported in the USB thread they swapped out their laptops, and have the same disconnect problems.

Be sure and file a Technical Inquiry with Asus and a Feedback form with Asus, and call/chat with them as well to register the issue with your laptop, if it isn't cured by disabling the power management through Windows Device Manager or the vendor tool to disable it on their external USB 3.0 device.

d0r1n
12-11-2014, 06:42 PM
it was just examples of problems found on g751 besides the audio,read carefuly ;)

it seems that 99% have the same problems more or less

hmscott
12-11-2014, 07:15 PM
it was just examples of problems found on g751 besides the audio,read carefully ;)

it seems that 99% have the same problems more or less

d0r1n, I wanted to point out the potential fix in the USB thread for the USB disconnect problem.

No one had replied to that thread and it had dropped off to the 3rd page...

Quite often when someone reads a solution, and tries it, and it fixes the problem, they don't post the result, they only post a response when the fix doesn't work.

BRSxIgnition
12-11-2014, 07:16 PM
I've now all but decided to return my machine regardless. It's very nice, but the multitude of issues I'm experiencing with it are a bit too much, and some cannot be fixed. The main issues leading to my 90% likely return are:

Subwoofer Sound Issue with no Resolution.
General lack of Audio Quality.
Soft-touch finish requires almost weekly upkeep/cleaning.
Audio preferences keep switching back to using (bad) laptop speakers, even when plugged into sound system.
Too much money spent for too little quality checking & support.
Impossible to clean/wipe keyboard without booting up computer. (Who the hell thought having the steam key and other keys function as a secondary power button was a good idea??)
Keyboard nearly impossible to see without backlight, which turns off every 60 seconds with NO option to change the timing.
Red backlight.
Soft Touch Finish (Again...)

Unless something is done this coming week regarding my perfectly reasonable requests, I'll be looking into organizing my return with Amazon. I should be able to last until the boxing day deals come around for a new computer.

The computer itself is an alright 8/10, but is let down by software and hardware issues and design decisions that are too hard to ignore.

On that note, if anyone has any recommendations for either of the following setups, please let me know, I'd be buying them on/around Black Friday.

$1700 - $2000 Gaming Laptop with a 970M. (Excluding G751)
or
$1700 - $2000 970M Equivalent or Better Gaming Desktop + College/Portable Laptop Combo (If it saves money. I also already have a screen/sound system.)

Joystick
12-11-2014, 10:00 PM
[...]
On that note, if anyone has any recommendations for either of the following setups, please let me know, I'd be buying them on/around Black Friday.

$1700 - $2000 Gaming Laptop with a 970M. (Excluding G751)
or
$1700 - $2000 970M Equivalent or Better Gaming Desktop + College/Portable Laptop Combo (If it saves money. I also already have a screen/sound system.)

How many "Black Friday" do you have in your country?
There aren't gaming notebooks with a 970m, or 980m, better than G751JT/JY. MSI and Alienware are both waiting Broadwell release, which means both machines are still running only with SATA solutions and without IPS display. G751JY is quieter than GT72, "10dBA quieter". Gigabyte Aorus X7 Pro isn't a reliability champion. Clevo and "friends" are noisy, really noisy. Everything (Asus, MSI, Lenovo, ...) with a Razer Blade form factor and a GTX 860m, or more, is suffering from throttling (and Optimus :D )

A desktop with a GTX 970 is not difficult to build:
- i7-4790K (you're not planning a 3 GPU PC, so forget socket 2011; AMD crap is cheaper, but :rolleyes: )
- Phanteks PH-TC14PE (to avoid water cooler issues and maintenance)
- a Z97 motherboard (with M.2 PCIe support for enthusiasts with deep pockets: 10Gb/s theoretical, Samsung XP941 performance in reality); i7-4790K needs Z97 (or H97) motherboard, everything with a 87 is bad
- 8/16GB of RAM (cycles / CAS latency is important, not just speed). I usually go with 16GB of DDR3-2133 CL9-11-11-31: it's not outrageously expensive and the price gap with DDR3-1600 is very small (in my country). G.Skill Ripjaws-X is a lot cheaper than Corsair Dominator Platinum (in my country)
- a case with few holes to generate positive air pressure and enough space for PH-TC14PE (positive air pressure could be a problem if you're a crazy overclocker); static pressure fans at the entrance, air flow fan(s) at the exit
- if you like quiet solutions www.bequiet.com is the answer for fans and PSU

If you need mobility, a pc with an ITX motherboard, an ITX GTX 970 and a LIAN LI PC-TU100 (better PC-TU200) case is an ok solution, but it will run hot (probably throttling problems), it will be expensive and an i7-4790k without downclocking will be problematic to cool down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOGNUSvzjMI

bsod
12-11-2014, 10:18 PM
I'd also like to add that the trackpad sensitivity on the middle left side seems to suck terribly. I'm not sure if that is a special touch area reserved for something else? But moving up and down in that 25% left of middle column often doesn't respond, or just loses tracking. And that is where my index finger naturally goes if my thumb is hovering over the left click.

The two units I have behave identically in that way. Maybe it's yet another "feature"

thamann2000
12-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Seems like a mass return is in order. Sad part is I'll probably have to go back to an alienware 18 as it is superior in every way EXCEPT that it uses 860 on base model. Asus I wanted to love you but your company absolutely **** the bed this time. From quality control to customer service.

xeromist
12-11-2014, 11:31 PM
I'd also like to add that the trackpad sensitivity on the middle left side seems to suck terribly. I'm not sure if that is a special touch area reserved for something else? But moving up and down in that 25% left of middle column often doesn't respond, or just loses tracking. And that is where my index finger naturally goes if my thumb is hovering over the left click.

The two units I have behave identically in that way. Maybe it's yet another "feature"

I don't have this particular model but I've never met a trackpad I actually liked. I've found they often have some weird features enabled by default so it could be an acceleration algorithm. I would go into the trackpad settings and disable everything except keyboard override. It *is* nice not to have the cursor jumping around while you are typing with your palms on it. Most everything else is a useless gimmick that interferes with normal operation.

BRSxIgnition
12-12-2014, 12:33 AM
How many "Black Friday" do you have in your country? ....

Hahaha, I meant to type Boxing Day, since that is coming up by the end of the month. Regardless, all your advice is greatly appreciated, and I'll definitely give it a look once I get home from work.

ASUS, the time to make a statement on all these issues is now - what'll you do?

What
12-12-2014, 08:27 PM
We're still working closely with Realtek to plan the next step. Because there's a big mix of inputs and testing methods it's hard to narrow down the exact issue. The dumps have been analyzed but please bear with us until next week.

Did you bear? Are you not making this thread sticky because you're afraid to damage Xmas sales? Basically you're refusing to answer if the issue can be solved and you're not stopping sales of a defective product, because, I suppose, you hope that your unskilled buyers do not realize there is an issue. Do you understand your behavior will engender a class-action lawsuit?

BRSxIgnition
12-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Now the right side of my chassis is creaking when any force is applied, right above the ethernet port. Fun.

I can deal with that if ASUS would come in and actually make a statement about how all these other, bigger issues will be solved, but I'm tempted to actually just go completely computer-less for a while if it means I can get my money back. Soft Touch finish is also no fun to deal with.

Did you bear? Are you not making this thread sticky because you're afraid to damage Xmas sales? Basically you're refusing to answer if the issue can be solved and you're not stopping sales of a defective product, because, I suppose, you hope that your unskilled buyers do not realize there is an issue. Do you understand your behavior will engender a class-action lawsuit?

I'm beginning to think this, more and more. We were supposed to hear back last week, and there was no news this week either.

Some unfortunate people have replaced their machines 4 times +, and still have the same issue.

This is no minor problem, this effects all units. What will you do to fix it, ASUS?

xeromist
12-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Are you not making this thread sticky because you're afraid to damage Xmas sales?

We typically stick informational threads that might drop off the first page and be forgotten. This thread is in no danger of that. ASUS doesn't pay me so I have no motivation to deceive. There is no conspiracy and nobody has asked me not to, it just isn't necessary. If that changes, ask me *nicely* and I'll be happy to help.

BRSxIgnition
12-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Xeromist, could you please sticky this thread so that we can know that ASUS and its moderators like you and MarshallR are watching it? Please?

We just want answers, because we've dropped a lot of money on our machines and none of them are working properly. We just want things to work like they were advertised to. ("Bass Eye" especially)

xeromist
12-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Yup, I put this thread on my watch list already but unfortunately I don't have any special influence. MarshallR does work for ASUS but he works for the marketing division so he doesn't have direct authority over the engineers. That is not to diminish what he does at all, it's just that technical support escalation wasn't the original plan for this forum so no support network was built around it. So we're watching but I'm not optimistic you'll get the answers you need before your decision window closes.

Oh, and I went ahead and stuck it but I'm still not sure it's going to help. It might actually decrease visibility as I've found people often ignore stickies.

BRSxIgnition
12-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Oh, and I went ahead and stuck it but I'm still not sure it's going to help. It might actually decrease visibility as I've found people often ignore stickies.

I hadn't thought about that - but I do agree.

Perhaps it should be unstickied? I just want it to be visible enough and high enough priority that we get a fix...

thamann2000
12-13-2014, 12:21 AM
I think it's awesome that there was no halt or recall. That was one of the things I listed in my "demands". Instead they keep on churning them out.

thamann2000
12-13-2014, 12:22 AM
That's how you build brand loyalty.

BRSxIgnition
12-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Quick question;

If I go through with returning my G751 and getting my old computer back (it was given to a family member who still had a working PC) and getting a new gaming PC for home instead, would this be a good choice? (http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc_new/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=CEA26212-2BEC-4463-AB33271B098F1A23-6195755) Because of circumstances, I can get the price down to $1,530 and save tax completely. (The size factor is perfect for me, since I have an odd desk.)

Good value? (I have a screen/mouse/sound system already.)

Joystick
12-13-2014, 01:04 AM
Yup, I put this thread on my watch list already but unfortunately I don't have any special influence. MarshallR does work for ASUS but he works for the marketing division so he doesn't have direct authority over the engineers. That is not to diminish what he does at all, it's just that technical support escalation wasn't the original plan for this forum so no support network was built around it. So we're watching but I'm not optimistic you'll get the answers you need before your decision window closes.

Marketing division does not have authority over engineers: are you joking? G751 is not only the ROG flagship notebook, it's the head of an ecosystem: if mom needs a laptop, you buy a Zenbook because of your good experience with ROG notebooks. I suppose Asus' marketing division consists of young people and engineers are old people, otherwise I can't understand why marketing division is so shy.

joshindaphils
12-13-2014, 01:06 AM
Quick question;

If I go through with returning my G751 and getting my old computer back (it was given to a family member who still had a working PC) and getting a new gaming PC for home instead, would this be a good choice? (http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc_new/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=CEA26212-2BEC-4463-AB33271B098F1A23-6195755) Because of circumstances, I can get the price down to $1,530 and save tax completely. (The size factor is perfect for me, since I have an odd desk.)

Good value? (I have a screen/mouse/sound system already.)

This thread is deteriorating from the topic rapidly. This question and other post in the past two pages at best belongs in a new threads. Lets keep discussion here focused around the sound issue, and not let it devulve into a free for all please.

dapogz
12-13-2014, 03:45 AM

Current Fix Status:
Under Investigation

Current Probable Issue Diagnosis:
Subwoofer/Speaker Signal Swap

Description:

The subwoofer receives the left and right signals, when it should not. This can be changed with balance.

To test, play test tones/music, and play with the balance in the "Realtek Audio Manager" program that is installed with the drivers. To hear either of the back speakers, you will need to place your ear against them - even then, it may be hard to hear them over the sound of the subwoofer, which will be playing the same sounds.

**If you do test your machine and do NOT have the issue, please provide your model number and follow the "dump" instructions below, adding that your "speakers work as intended" in the Private Message to MarshallR.

How you can help:
You can help by following MarshallR's Audio Dump directions below, if you have the issue. (Even more so if you follow them and don't!*)

*If you don't have the issue and are providing a dump file, please explain that it is a dump file from a WORKING SETUP!

Temporary Fix:

To get your Left & Right back speakers working correctly:

Right click on "PC", click "Manage" and go to "Device Manager."
Select "Sound, Video & Game Controllers", and right click the Realtek Device. (There should only be one.) Select uninstall.
Make sure "Uninstall Driver Software?" or similar is checked. Confirm.
Either reboot or right click your PC name at the top of Device Manager list. Click "Scan for new Hardware Changes."
Go to "Audio Playback Devices" by right clicking the speaker symbol on the task bar on the right.
Select the other "Speakers" option, right click, and set as default. These are your back speakers. Test.
Viola.

Up this.. "Lets Focus on the thread topic"

thamann2000
12-13-2014, 05:03 AM
Let's not focus on what the focus is or who said what. Let's focus on keeping the heat on asus.

dapogz
12-13-2014, 05:33 AM
Let's not focus on what the focus is or who said what. Let's focus on keeping the heat on asus.

Hi Sir,

We are the people who are waiting for the fix and we often view this thread if there are any update or better solution. We are helping each other for solution. So, instead of (Pardon my words) ranting about other issue aside from the sound problem.. i think you should create a thread about all issue.. this thread is more focus on the sound problem.. we are here for a common goal.. to fix the sound issue, so far there is temporary solution..

Please.. if you cant contribute any help, avoid posting not related to the sound issue..
Think before you click ;) merry christmas

xeromist
12-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Marketing division does not have authority over engineers: are you joking?
I can't understand why marketing division is so shy.
Direct authority means that a salesman can walk into an engineer's office and say drop everything because today we are building pink elephants. It's just not practical for the salesman to know the feasibility or what that change of gears is going to cost the business. But that doesn't mean they can't hash it out and set priorities, it's just not authority. Also, we're talking about a Realtek component so that relationship has its own terms as well.

Perhaps it should be unstickied? I just want it to be visible enough and high enough priority that we get a fix...
Up to you *shrug*

BRSxIgnition
12-13-2014, 07:13 AM
I apologize for almost derailing the thread there - I will make a separate post for that question. (I was on a lunch break and posted it quickly without too much thought.)

Regarding sticky/not sticky, I believe the thread should only be stickied once a fix is found, and otherwise, should remain open and visible so we can get more impressions and support our of it.

thamann2000
12-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Dapogz I domt know what you are talking about. I have been pushing for a fix since day one. I am one of the people who first discovered this issue and started the fight. This thread has more than one purpose. 1) explain your issue. 2) concur that you have the same problem or tell what is different 3) give suggestions. 4) talk about best ways to address asus handling. 5) explain what the recourse we as consumers want/demand.

If one of those options doesn't work for you leave. Very simple. If you come only to rip other posters you are wasting everyone's time. Get a life.

Pro-tip: when the issue is resolved there will be a giant FIXED in the title and it will be stickied. So look for that and you can avoid the ranting.

thamann2000
12-13-2014, 09:01 AM
And there is no "temporary solution" out. Disabling part of the sound is not a solution.

cablebandit
12-13-2014, 12:14 PM
mine actually sounds pretty decent....I cant wait to hear what it will sound like when fixed

xeromist
12-13-2014, 06:01 PM
If you come only to rip other posters you are wasting everyone's time. Get a life.

Pro-tip: when the issue is resolved there will be a giant FIXED in the title and it will be stickied. So look for that and you can avoid the ranting.

He was responding to the comment that the only objective was to keep heat on ASUS and ignore the focus of the thread. That doesn't meet any of your 5 criteria. And whether you believe it or not, nothing you do on this customer to customer forum is going to make things go any faster. The message has already been delivered and there is no more heat to be made here. So in the mean time try to get along with the others in this thread. You're probably going to be seeing a lot of each other so making enemies isn't helpful.

Paco
12-13-2014, 09:21 PM
ok then .... to get back on topic - I wanted to ask whether everyone (i.e. everyone with the sound problem) also have a broken ROG Audio Wizard. Settings not changing anything on the equalizer (and only one of them increases tone, none bass) - additionally all settings sound much worse than when the system is set to Off.

BRSxIgnition
12-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Anything like that could be contributed to the subwoofer getting speaker signals, or vice versa.

Paco
12-13-2014, 09:27 PM
also the stickies on this forum are actually very visible (and not to many of them). In my opinion it would make the issue at least "appear" more important ..... and that means a lot to everyone affected .... especially those who got a broken product "out of the box" but who have decided to stick with this laptop.

Paco
12-13-2014, 09:28 PM
yes could be .... but do you have the same issue BRSxIg?

BRSxIgnition
12-13-2014, 09:38 PM
yes could be .... but do you have the same issue BRSxIg?

I'm the one that made the first thread and this one - yes, I have the issue.

Paco
12-13-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm the one that made the first thread and this one - yes, I have the issue.

I am asking specifically about the ROG Audio Wizard not whether you have the "imbalanced sound problem" in general.

BRSxIgnition
12-14-2014, 01:33 AM
I see, well that's included in the larger problem.

Whether in ROG Audio Wizard or not, adjusting any balances does not have the intended effect because of the swapped signals. For example, if you turn balance all the way to the right, all speakers will still play some form of that tone, even if they are not located on the right. (For right signals, the bass would play through both back speakers and the sub would play the right tone but no left tone.)

This is all assuming our swapped-signal verdict is correct.

(Any recommendations for my replacement laptop can be posted here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/767301-advice-next-gaming-laptop-2014-2015-canada.html), thank you all in advance if you post.)

joshindaphils
12-14-2014, 03:27 AM
I see, well that's included in the larger problem.

Whether in ROG Audio Wizard or not, adjusting any balances does not have the intended effect because of the swapped signals. For example, if you turn balance all the way to the right, all speakers will still play some form of that tone, even if they are not located on the right. (For right signals, the bass would play through both back speakers and the sub would play the right tone but no left tone.)

This is all assuming our swapped-signal verdict is correct.

I don't believe the signal swapping theory is correct. It is clear the front speakers are not receiving a LFE (the 0.1) signal as the highs are the most distinguishing part of the sound. As well as far as I can tell L/R balance works perfectly between the front speakers.

The issue as I see it is no LFE signal is being sent to the "sub" rather it is full monaural audio. This isn't so bad (likely even prefered) as it is not a true sub by any stretch of the imagination, however there is no ability to control the sound levels between the front speakers and "sub" and this leads to a sound profile that many find unapealing.

BRSxIgnition
12-14-2014, 03:51 AM
I don't believe the signal swapping theory is correct. It is clear the front speakers are not receiving a LFE or the 0.1 signal as the highs are the most distinguishing part of the sound. As well as far as I can tell L/R balance works perfectly between the front speakers.

The issue as I see it is no LFE signal is being sent to the "sub" rather it is full monaural audio. This isn't be so bad (likely even prefered) as it is not a true sub by any stretch of the imagination, however there is no ability to control the sound levels between the front speakers and "sub" and this leads to a sound profile that many find unapealing.

There are no front speakers, there are speakers on the back.

Anyone who has tried the temporary "fix" can tell what the back speakers are generally supposed to sound like, and it sounds nothing like that when the drivers are installed. L/R Balance changes the signal sent to the subwoofer, bit it is still coming from the subwoofer, and thus monoaural sound coming from the front/bottom-left of the laptop. I'm 100% certain.

The sound level with drivers installed defaults to 67%, you would think that the levels for all of them would default to the same volume the sound is set at, but the back speakers have a 10% volume level and the sub has a 70% volume level. (If they are even receiving the proper signals in the first place.)

A much easier hypothesis is that the signals are switched, since sound IS still coming from all audio devices, just in extremely different levels.

dapogz
12-14-2014, 04:15 AM
I don't believe the signal swapping theory is correct. It is clear the front speakers are not receiving a LFE or the 0.1 signal as the highs are the most distinguishing part of the sound. As well as far as I can tell L/R balance works perfectly between the front speakers.

The issue as I see it is no LFE signal is being sent to the "sub" rather it is full monaural audio. This isn't so bad (likely even prefered) as it is not a true sub by any stretch of the imagination, however there is no ability to control the sound levels between the front speakers and "sub" and this leads to a sound profile that many find unapealing.

Hi, you are probably right.. driver is detecting 5.1 instead of a 2.1.. reason why signal distribution is incorrect, as you can see in the volume settings, volume knobs are front, back and sub. I have tried connecting it to a 5.1 speakers using the 3 analog output.. and all volume knobs are working properly...
so i think one of the main issue is the realtek driver not using 2.1 on internal speakers..

Today i'm trying to use audio emulator to see if i can seprate the sounds on the speakers, i use to have this kind of problem on previous realtek drivers(old desktop with broken connectors) and i use this emulator to fix some audio problems.

joshindaphils
12-14-2014, 04:16 AM
There are no front speakers, there are speakers on the back.

Anyone who has tried the temporary "fix" can tell what the back speakers are generally supposed to sound like, and it sounds nothing like that when the drivers are installed. L/R Balance changes the signal sent to the subwoofer, bit it is still coming from the subwoofer, and thus monoaural sound coming from the front/bottom-left of the laptop. I'm 100% certain.

The sound level with drivers installed defaults to 67%, you would think that the levels for all of them would default to the same volume the sound is set at, but the back speakers have a 10% volume level and the sub has a 70% volume level. (If they are even receiving the proper signals in the first place.)

A much easier hypothesis is that the signals are switched, since sound IS still coming from all audio devices, just in extremely different levels.

Front speakers in a 2.1 setup are the main L/R speakers, they are in front of you... the 0.1 is the subwoofer or sub. I am using the correct terminology, you are using terminology that is specific only to this laptop or laptops with similar configurations.

The rest of your logic I can not follow, supports my view, or is contradictory... I can't understand you point.

Azmodan
12-14-2014, 04:38 AM
Hi everyone!

New to the forum as an owner of this brand new piece of machinery.
My findings, just as the rest of you guys is that with the standard settings and the different multimedia options the speakers(battlefield, multimedia etc etc) through Maxx audio sounds like ****, its way worse than my girlfriends surf laptops for less than 600 euro.

However, i´ve found that if you actually turn the maxx audio settings system off, the speakers actually sound pretty decent... sure its not a sound that would fulfill a audiofiles wet dreams but its perfectly acceptable for a set of laptop speakers, cause truth be told, what are we really expecting from speakers with almost no membrane and magnets?

It also seems that it sends the signals the right way, allthough full range on all speakers, the base really comes through as compared to if you have the maxx audio program turned on. Any others able to replicate these findings?

This mornings fiddling really made my day to be honest, for its only a software issue, and with time its probably going to be fixed to really nice results. Cause like many of you guys i was prepared to return this and buy myself an MSI of the same horsepower... but the choice isn´t as easy anymore.

Cheers and hopefully Asus, Realtek and Maxxaudio will get their hinees off the sofa and fix this :)

BRSxIgnition
12-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Front speakers in a 2.1 setup are the main L/R speakers, they are in front of you... the 0.1 is the subwoofer or sub. I am using the correct terminology, you are using terminology that is specific only to this laptop or laptops with similar configurations.

The rest of your logic I can not follow, supports my view, or is contradictory... I can't understand you point.

The sound level with drivers installed defaults to 67%.

You would think that the balance levels for left/right/sub channels would default to the same volume. 67%.

But when using the drivers, the back speakers are near silent, and the sub is playing treble, loudly.

There is such a discrepancy between their volumes that we thought the "front" L/R speakers were not working at all for the longest time.

You stated the L/R balance works perfectly for the front speakers, but it does not.

For example, altering the balance to 100% Left causes only the subwoofer to only play the left signal.

It does not magically push the left signal to the "front" left speaker on the hinge of the laptop.

The same happens with the right signal.

Both L & R signals are playing through the subwoofer.

They should not be.

These are my reasons for thinking that it's not a balance problem, it's a signal problem.

Hopefully this is clear enough logic to understand, even with any apparent difference in terminology.

joshindaphils
12-14-2014, 06:04 AM
The sound level with drivers installed defaults to 67%.

You would think that the balance levels for left/right/sub channels would default to the same volume. 67%.

But when using the drivers, the back speakers are near silent, and the sub is playing treble, loudly.

There is such a discrepancy between their volumes that we thought the "front" L/R speakers were not working at all for the longest time.

You stated the L/R balance works perfectly for the front speakers, but it does not.

For example, altering the balance to 100% Left causes only the subwoofer to only play the left signal.

It does not magically push the left signal to the "front" left speaker on the hinge of the laptop.

The same happens with the right signal.

Both L & R signals are playing through the subwoofer.

They should not be.

These are my reasons for thinking that it's not a balance problem, it's a signal problem.

Hopefully this is clear enough logic to understand, even with any apparent difference in terminology.

I can distinguish sound coming from the front left speaker when full left channel is selected. There is nothing magic about it...

You have repeatedly given incorrect information in this thread and the old thread and state things as fact when they have been shown otherwise. I suggest that keep a more open mind and improve your ability to differentiate between perception and fact.

Perhaps just as you couldn't discern any sound from the front speakers at all until you followed my advice on how to more clearly discern it, just perhaps you can't identify the sound from the left speaker?

BRSxIgnition
12-14-2014, 06:27 AM
Perhaps just as you couldn't discern any sound from the front speakers at all until you followed my advice on how to more clearly discern it, just perhaps you can't identify the sound from the left speaker?

I can discern that sound is coming from the left speaker just as much as it is coming from the right speaker - which is to say barely any at all. I never stated there was no sound from the left speaker - I stated that it was not receiving the left speaker's signal.

I apologize if I've been using trial and error to solve the problem and updating my findings as I come across them, but I seem to be one of the only people doing that, despite the fact that I am 90% likely to return this machine before the new year.

If you rather sit around and wait for ASUS/MarshallR to step in (in around 2 months or so), I'll gladly stop trying to help and return this machine. It's been just too much of a headache.

Paco
12-14-2014, 06:41 AM
could it be an old hidden driver? I found this:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/504/how-to-uninstall-hidden-devices-drivers-and-services/

but I am not good enough with computers to try it - worried I'll make things worse. Maybe someone who knows what they are doing could see if there are any old hidden Realtek drivers. I seem to remember that most of the affected machines had their systems rebooted (and even those that didn't may have received previously returned machines that had been rebooted without their knowledge. Its a long shot but since its not a hardware problem and its not the new drivers (as they were tested by Asus on their machines and confirmed to work) - you never know.

Visa_Declined
12-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Front speakers in a 2.1 setup are the main L/R speakers, they are in front of you... the 0.1 is the subwoofer or sub. I am using the correct terminology

Correct, the speakers up by the hinge are front speakers. BRS has been correcting people that call them as such, but they sure as heck aren't rear speakers ;)

*edit, I just noticed this:

It does on mine actually.

joshindaphils
12-14-2014, 09:47 AM
To be clear.

My testing shows that this statement is false I hear clear L/R channel separation going to the proper front speakers. Left drops out on full Right and vice versa.

I apologize if I've been using trial and error to solve the problem and updating my findings as I come across them.

I do not believe anyone has an issue with using trial and error and providing updates of results. For me the issue remains the dissemination of incorrect information across a whole spectrum of things while presenting it as known fact i.e. "I know that right-test-tones do usually sound like they are coming more from the right, even when it is the same speaker" or "Our speakers are working but the drivers refuse to install properly and end up pushing sound only through the subwoofer, not the regular speakers".

There are many other examples however you repeatedly talk factually claim knowledge about things you clearly do not have domain knowledge on, as well as items you have deduction and perceptual issues with... the second part wouldn't be bad except again you talk factually about it and dispute findings in areas that you yourself had admitted being wrong in.

The point to all of this is that these type of actions do not help the cause and only hurt it by confusing the issue.

In summary all of your points are either not disputed at all, I and others have tested to be incorrect, or not in contention with my hypothesis at all.

cablebandit
12-14-2014, 10:31 AM
lets stop with the "2.1" terminology unless we are sure that the built in subwoofer is being supplied with a discrete .1 signal which i very much doubt. Presumably, we have a 2.0 stereo system where the bass from both channels is passed off to the mono sub. At a certain frequency (80hz?) , bass becomes non directional so this shouldnt be a problem for both front stereo speakers to share a single subwoofer for output of their bass notes.

My findings are the same as Azmodan's...turn off Maxx Audio and the sound becomes pretty decent

Richdog
12-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Can I just say that after listening to Adele (Set Fire To The Rain) and Pink Floyd (Time, Great Gig In The Sky) that the sound at 100% volume, even coming mostly from the subwoofer, is actually pretty decent all things considered andin the context of what it is. There is definitely some bass.

Obviously I am waiting for this to be improved and more balanced, but even so it is better than many laptops I have heard. I'm not an expert of course, but my last setup was a set of Quad Lite 5.1 and a Pioneer VSX-LX70, so its not like I haven't heard good sound to use as a benchmark.

To be clear.

My testing shows that this statement is false I hear clear L/R channel separation going to the proper front speakers. Left drops out on full Right and vice versa.

I do not believe anyone has an issue with using trial and error and providing updates of results. For me the issue remains the dissemination of incorrect information across a whole spectrum of things while presenting it as known fact i.e. "I know that right-test-tones do usually sound like they are coming more from the right, even when it is the same speaker" or "Our speakers are working but the drivers refuse to install properly and end up pushing sound only through the subwoofer, not the regular speakers".

There are many other examples however you repeatedly talk factually claim knowledge about things you clearly do not have domain knowledge on, as well as items you have deduction and perceptual issues with... the second part wouldn't be bad except again you talk factually about it and dispute findings in areas that you yourself had admitted being wrong in.

The point to all of this is that these type of actions do not help the cause and only hurt it by confusing the issue.

In summary all of your points are either not disputed at all, I and others have tested to be incorrect, or not in contention with my hypothesis at all.

Relax man, BSX may be no expert but he is doing his best to raise awareness of the issue and keep it updated. Regardless of scientific accuracy, you have to respect that to at least some extent.

BRSxIgnition
12-14-2014, 05:34 PM
It's fine - if my findings are innacurate and what I believe is wrong with the speakers is wrong in itself, then I will stop derailing and misguiding the thread. Joshindaphils, feel free to do the rest of the tests yourself, along with the other users here.

I'll test what you people say does a certain thing and post if it is the same for me or not.

Hopefully then I won't be such a problem, and the issue + solution can be found quickly.

Sanctrum
12-14-2014, 06:39 PM
It all makes sense.
I have other gaming laptop from MSI that has subwoofer.
At MSI case, the design with subwoofer is simple.
Subwoofer ALWAYS combines the sound ONLY from L/R channels and at any circumstances.
So when it is 2.1, it combines channels L and R. But when it is 5.1 it STILL combines sound ONLY from L/R. So laptop’s sub is NOT the separate channel x.1 !
And it is still OK if you understand how it works… and only if you can swith-off the sub!
At MSI case you can always switch-off laptop’s sub BUT NOT using Realtec HD Audio interface… It is possible ONLY with the DEDICATED physical button located at the laptop’s case! So MSI avoided the problem/design flaw… by adding this button. Also MSI sub is located to the left side, so once it plays the music the sound balance is shifted to the left.

NOT sure it is possible to have this button equivalent available as software… I do not have G751, just planning to buy.

lets stop with the "2.1" terminology unless we are sure that the built in subwoofer is being supplied with a discrete .1 signal which i very much doubt. Presumably, we have a 2.0 stereo system where the bass from both channels is passed off to the mono sub. At a certain frequency (80hz?) , bass becomes non directional so this shouldnt be a problem for both front stereo speakers to share a single subwoofer for output of their bass notes.

My findings are the same as Azmodan's...turn off Maxx Audio and the sound becomes pretty decent

As I have written 10 days ago... Now it looks to me that Maxx Audio app is acting like Sub on/off switch? So the software eqivalent of MSI physical button? Can someone confirm?

Paco
12-14-2014, 06:55 PM
It's fine - if my findings are innacurate and what I believe is wrong with the speakers is wrong in itself, then I will stop derailing and misguiding the thread. Joshindaphils, feel free to do the rest of the tests yourself, along with the other users here.

I'll test what you people say does a certain thing and post if it is the same for me or not.

Hopefully then I won't be such a problem, and the issue + solution can be found quickly.

Don't apologize for trying to find a fix that should NOT have been necessary "out of the box". I for one appreciate your efforts to try and get to the bottom of this asap. There may have been some misunderstandings along the way but I don't see anyone from Asus even making any attempt to put our minds at rest by giving us any information. This is not a minor issue as some are trying to say, at least not for me. I have no sound at all on the right side of my laptop. Nevertheless I do really like this laptop and I have decided to wait for a fix, although it would be nice to hear that Asus have at least officially acknowledged the problem instead of leaving us to argue amongst ourselves.

Sanctrum
12-14-2014, 07:09 PM
... I have no sound at all on the right side of my laptop...
Bad wiring? Some person reported that his G751’s right speaker have no sound due to wire cut by a screw… Poor quality control of assembling...

Paco
12-14-2014, 10:44 PM
"ROG G751 also includes Bass Eye – an internal subwoofer that’s perfectly balanced with the rest of the notebook for added low-frequency impact."

..... they could at least delete this from their web site. :rolleyes::D

BRSxIgnition
12-14-2014, 11:07 PM
"ROG G751 also includes Bass Eye – an internal subwoofer that’s perfectly balanced with the rest of the notebook for added low-frequency impact."

..... they could at least delete this from their web site. :rolleyes::D

Or they could keep it up a few days longer. It gives those of us looking for the opportunity more to base our "false advertising" and "BS QC" accusations on.

My old computer hammered this one into the ground in terms of sound quality, even without the issues.

thamann2000
12-15-2014, 12:43 AM
So many haters on this thread. Here's the bottom line. ASUS released a faulty product. The sound isn't working as intended. It needs to be fixed. Asus needs to release a FORMAL statement. And asus needs to stop sales. They are just keeping all customers in a holding pattern until they are past their return policy window. As it stands right now we are all waiting for NOTHING. by the time a fix arrives you may have gone 6 months without useable audio on your $1500-3000 laptop. And for the people who say things like "there is no more heat to turn up" that's nonsense. These type of business only notice one thing, decrease in revenue. Look how long after tons of complaints and escalations that it took just to get someone to say "send us the dumps so we can look" when it's a problem that should've never left the factory. Simple testing never happens.

Now we all have two choices and they are both valid.

You can wait and hope eventually asus gets around to taking care of consumers. You can hope that the driver update or whatever else they create works and the sound is as good as most laptops. There's no true timetable. The overall strength of the laptop makes it a reasonable thing to consider. Once the sound is fixed, this is one of the elite notebooks out there.

Or you can band together, hold our ground together. Pick a firm date as I have suggested and BRS has seconded that we say "we want a fix, statement, and/or assurance of coverage to get this working" but you have to not bluff. It means you are willing to backup your devices, save your data, and send your laptop in for a refund. Asus has made CLEAR they will do NOTHING for the damages they've caused. There will be no "here's a free backpack because you didn't have proper sound for six months". Reading the better business bureau they have made clear they are not going to show real concern over how a customer feels they were treated. But if they get 10,000 of these things returned to their warehouse in a matter of days(won't be 10,000 because they haven't sold that many) that's a wake up call.

Remember this, no one is saying we have to be violent protestors. No one is saying that we have to call in and swear and get into p***ing contests with the employees. That won't help, but firm statements and demands can get things moving. But one thing is for sure they have no loyalty to us so don't feel like you owe them anything.

Let's not fight each other on this board. We all forgive any smack that was talked up till now Ok? Let's focus on the problems and best ways to fix them physically and the best way to take the issue right to the heart of the company.

Side note and pro-tip, I would not use the audio as it is. I think using the left/right speakers with sub disabled is fine. But I would not use any temp settings that cause highs to come from sub. You risk long term damage and quality loss to the speaker.

joshindaphils
12-15-2014, 01:42 AM
Okay so I apologize to BRS my response is an overreaction.

The only explanation I can offer for my response is that he is pinging on several of my pet peeves in particular his obstinate insistence that the issue is other than what it is without merit despite all of the efforts to put him on the correct track.

I will exit this thread with these words of wisdom: The more people that file tickets with accurate descriptions of the problem the more likely the issue will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Mazdabater
12-15-2014, 05:41 AM
As a result of this thread I have cancelled my order on the g751 I was waiting for and am typing this from my new MSI laptop. Asus never fixed the speaker problem I had with my g75vw so it's pretty unlikely it's going to happen here.

Visa_Declined
12-15-2014, 06:58 AM
Or you can band together, hold our ground together. Pick a firm date as I have suggested and BRS has seconded that we say "we want a fix, statement, and/or assurance of coverage to get this working" but you have to not bluff. It means you are willing to backup your devices, save your data, and send your laptop in for a refund.

If you think 3 or 4 dudes threatening to return their notebooks will make a fix come sooner, you're probably wrong. Like I've said before, these devices are getting pretty good reviews around the web, and we here are just a small handful of people.

Asus has made CLEAR they will do NOTHING for the damages they've caused.

Damages?...what damages? As long as they provide a fix, that's all I want from them.

There will be no "here's a free backpack because you didn't have proper sound for six months".

You keep mentioning that you're expecting some type of compensation or freebie out of Asus, but you're the only one I ever see saying this. Asus isn't going to give us a $100+ dollar backpack, and I have no idea why you think they should. It would be cool as hell, but I don't expect them to.

but firm statements and demands can get things moving.

No, it really won't. They're dealing with a small group of people here who have a problem. This probably happens with most products they launch.

But I would not use any temp settings that cause highs to come from sub. You risk long term damage and quality loss to the speaker.

I personally don't think the speaker is in any danger. I don't even think it was designed like a normal subwoofer. It's more than likely just a normal speaker that they're labeling a sub. If this was a tweeter, and low frequencies were being passed through it, then there really would be a possibility of damage.

xeromist
12-15-2014, 07:57 AM
And for the people who say things like "there is no more heat to turn up" that's nonsense. These type of business only notice one thing, decrease in revenue.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was only referring to this forum and the fact that it isn't a strong signaling channel with ASUS due to being mostly customer driven. I absolutely would not discourage anyone who is unhappy and can't wait from using any available outlets to make themselves heard and returning it if necessary. Gaming is supposed to be fun so gaming on a machine that makes you unhappy isn't good for you or for ASUS.

It's more than likely just a normal speaker that they're labeling a sub.

That is a good point actually. If I was going to mass produce a laptop sub I would probably just select a commodity speaker with decent low end response and clamp it down with a low pass filter. Why source an expensive boutique part (not much call for laptop-sized subs) if you don't have to? Average Joes aren't going to care and those that care are going to insist on their own cans anyway. I think they just didn't count on their LPF getting fouled up by a software bug. Even an average Joe can hear a broken LPF. I'm not confident any of that is fact but it makes sense.

thamann2000
12-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Done fighting. Some people are just determined to dispute everything others say. So what's the point? I couldnt figure out whether a good company made a bad product, or whether a bad company made a good product. Once that became clear to me I knew what I had to do. Best of luck to the people here who are here for the right reasons. Griefers and apologists I have no time for.

xamoel
12-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Same problem here, Brand new JY, sound only comes from the sub. After the fix on page 1 only the tiny speakers work.
Not good. I hope they will fix this soon! Btw my BIOS Version is 205, couldn't even find that on the official support page.

geneticweapon
12-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Same problem here, Brand new JY, sound only comes from the sub. After the fix on page 1 only the tiny speakers work.
Not good. I hope they will fix this soon! Btw my BIOS Version is 205, couldn't even find that on the official support page.

Put your ear up where the display hinges to the notebook. There's sound coming from the front speakers located there, but the sub plays much louder, and overpowers it.

escha
12-16-2014, 10:58 AM
yup, need a fix ASAP

xamoel
12-16-2014, 11:22 AM
@geneticweapon

Don't really know what you are trying to say, I know the problem, and applied the fix in this thread. Now I'm waiting for a fix from ASUS that will enable all speakers including the sub to work the way they were designed to.

BRSxIgnition
12-17-2014, 02:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkdmOVejUlI

How many times do you all think we'll play this on repeat before a fix is issued? (Likely far more than it takes to run out our refund periods.)

_
12-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Sorry I'm late back. There's still more work to do in identifying the cause here I'm afraid. We cannot replicate the issue on multiple units, so we need more precise user input. Those affected, please follow these instructions:

FIRST:
Fill out this Google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VfPvFlsBgo_NImHQ0LnMps99VhXbN2vWzwprhXfL1Q8/viewform. It will cover things you've already stated, but this exports a clearer spreadsheet of what we need to know as I cannot disseminate exact, up to date details for each person within 17 pages of thread sorry.

SECONDLY:
1. Download this rar file, it contains 3 further files.
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/69B9B25979E542DB928A4D551F38AEF4Y
2. Make sure the official ASUS Realtek drivers are installed.
3. UnZip Vbcmd_mute_int_woofer tool, press Mute.exe to disable Subwoofer
4. Play stereo music to check L/R speakers are working or not
5. After finish testing, UnZip Vbcmd_unmute_int_woofer, press UnMute.exe to enable Subwoofer
(Do not forget to turn on the function, otherwise your Subwoofer will not work again.)
If cannot hear audio when subwoofer is muted (L/R speaker not functioning), please proceed to step 7.
7. UnZip RtHDDump tool
8. Make sure General IO, HDA DRV IO and Dump dat is checked
9. Press Dump when playing stereo music (like an mp3/aac) simultaneously
10. it will create a txt file at the same folder, please email that txt file to rog _ forum at asus dot com.

escha
12-17-2014, 12:10 PM
If cannot hear audio when subwoofer is muted (L/R speaker not functioning), please proceed to step 7.
what if, speakers are functionning when subwoofer is muted and still (when unmuted and with asus drivers) experiencing audio issues like sub playing L/R channel sounds, sub not playing sub channel sound unless 'swap center/subwoofer channels' is checked and even then the sub channel is played by all 3 speakers?
filled the questionair
is it possible it's a problem related to the Win 8.1 being installed by retailer (and CD provided) instead of being installed by ASUS ??
it is my second unit from the same retailer (other had screen problems) and as far as i know (checked with retailer) they install the SATA3 SSDs by themselves and then install win 8.1 on it by CD provided (so probably order basic HDD only versions from asus and then expand them)...

ARX7Arbalest
12-17-2014, 01:12 PM
what if, speakers are functionning when subwoofer is muted and still experiencing audio issues like sub playing L/R channel sounds, sub not playing sub channel sound unless 'swap center/subwoofer channels' is checked and even then the sub channel is played by all 3 speakers?

Do you have the drivers from ASUS Installed? The Realtek 6.0.1.7335 Drivers? If so, then this means that there is more than just one type of the speaker issue.

@Marshall

Ran the test and I would like to add that I cloned the ASUS Install of Windows onto an SSD before this occurred since ASUS Backtracker had an issue with restoring the image to the SSD. My SSD is a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO if that helps.

So it looks like the L/R speakers are working also with the Subwoofer during my testing. The L/R speaker's sound is just teeny compared to the loudness coming from the subwoofer.

Richdog
12-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Sorry I'm late back. There's still more work to do in identifying the cause here I'm afraid. We cannot replicate the issue on multiple units, so we need more precise user input. Those affected, please follow these instructions:

FIRST:
Fill out this Google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VfPvFlsBgo_NImHQ0LnMps99VhXbN2vWzwprhXfL1Q8/viewform. It will cover things you've already stated, but this exports a clearer spreadsheet of what we need to know as I cannot disseminate exact, up to date details for each person within 17 pages of thread sorry.

SECONDLY:
1. Download this rar file, it contains 3 further files.
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/69B9B25979E542DB928A4D551F38AEF4Y
2. Make sure the official ASUS Realtek drivers are installed.
3. UnZip Vbcmd_mute_int_woofer tool, press Mute.exe to disable Subwoofer
4. Play stereo music to check L/R speakers are working or not
5. After finish testing, UnZip Vbcmd_unmute_int_woofer, press UnMute.exe to enable Subwoofer
(Do not forget to turn on the function, otherwise your Subwoofer will not work again.)
7. UnZip RtHDDump tool
8. Make sure General IO, HDA DRV IO and Dump dat is checked
9. Press Dump when playing stereo music (like an mp3/aac) simultaneously
10. it will create a txt file at the same folder, please email that txt file to rog _ forum at asus dot com.

Well, after doing this it is 100% certain that all speakers are in fact working at once... but my thoughts are:

The back speakers are very quiet in conjunction with the sub
When the sub is muted, the back speakers are nowhere near as loud as when you uninstall Realtek drivers and install the default ones
Seems to me in my inexpert opinion that the signal is being distributed through all three speakers with a heavy emphasis, reducing the output to the back speakers

I would love to know if it was possible for the sub to function ONLY as a sub in order to provide bass to the main rear speakers... but it is increasingly looking like that is not likely.

n0way
12-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Hello,

I just want to state that I have recently bought the G751JY-T7009H and returned it the following day. Crackling of the subwoofer at 60% volume in a 1600£ build is not acceptable, especially when songs played from the exact same files on the exact same settings on a G73jh caused no noticeable loss of sound quality, and that one is a couple of years old. Meanwhile, ASUS support team claims that "There are also no known issues with the quality of the sound."

As a customer I am very disappointed. The overall specs are amazing and worth the money, audio issues shouldn't have passed the QA. That is, if there was any.

BRSxIgnition
12-17-2014, 07:35 PM
We cannot replicate the issue on multiple units, so we need more precise user input. Those affected, please follow these instructions.....

First of all, thank you very much for getting back to us with such a detailed response and providing us with new means of identifying the cause of this infuriating issue. I have filled in the form as clearly as I can with all the information I could disseminate while running the tests you have described, and I hope that it helps in finding a solution for this issue before I am forced to return my machine.

To be fully transparent, as well as to further the investigation on our (the forum's) end, here are my complete findings:

All speakers "working", but WITH massive imbalance issue.Sub greatly overshadows L/R Speakers & also distorts at volumes above 35%. Can hear sound very faintly coming from L/R speakers with ear pressed up against them.

Subwoofer (Only) is default playback device, with L/R Speakers being listed as a separate playback device. Left and Right Speakers working at full volume when selected as default playback device, with no sound
coming from subwoofer. Subwoofer can play audio when selected as default device, but distorts at volume levels above 35%, and does not work in conjunction with rear speakers in this configuration. (Either/Or Situation)

Same effect as "Installed Drivers" every time. (All speakers "working", but WITH the imbalance issue. Sub greatly outpowers L/R Speakers & also distorts at volumes above 35%. Can hear sound very faintly coming from L/R speakers with ear pressed up against them.)

L/R Speakers can be heard perfectly fine when Subwoofer is disabled using the "Vbcmd_mute_int_woofer" Mute.exe file provided by MarshallR@ASUS on the ROG Forums. Cannot comment on volume level, but volume seems to scale fine without the subwoofer to overshadow it. This confirms the situation is a software issue, and all speakers are physically fine.

I'm curious to hear if these findings coincide with those of other users on this forum.

At the very least, we now know that a command can be sent to the Subwoofer to disable it, meaning it's very likely possible to change the signal it receives - as well as the volume it receives it at - as well.

Please keep us up-to-date on how everything progresses, MarshallR!

escha
12-17-2014, 08:02 PM
in my case it's quite similar:
All 3 speakers are working.
Using Realtek HD Audio Manager (5.1 setup with Center and Rear pair unchecked) I can NOT play sounds separatly, meaning - Subwoofer playes both LEFT and RIGHT channels' sounds.
The Subwoofer channel is NOT played UNLESS i check the box for "Swap Center/Subwoofer Output", then Subwoofer channel is played by ALL speakers.
With Stereo setup Subwoofer also playes with L/R Speakers, But changing the volume balance to L Speaker makes the sub silent too while playing Right channel sound and vice versa - changing balance to R completly silents L speaker and subwoofer while plying left channel.
Uninstalling Realtek HD Audio driver provided by ASUS makes the system to see 2 pluged in devices (and NVIDIA hdmi ofcoarse unplugged and S/PDIF ready). When First is set as 'Use this device' then the L/R sounds are played ONLY by Subwoofer (L/R Speakers doesn't work "by ear"). However, when the second device is set as 'Used' L/R channels are played accordingly by L/R Speakers, Sub is silent.
Sum up (With Realtek HD Audio drivers):
1) Left channel is played by LEFT and SUB speakers.
2) Right channel is played by RIGHT and SUB speakers
3) Sub channel is not played UNLESS "Swap Center/Subwoofer Output" is checked and then is played by ALL speakers.
4) The issue is present while watching movies and playing games also.

viper3000
12-17-2014, 09:42 PM
First of all, thank you very much for getting back to us with such a detailed response and providing us with new means of identifying the cause of this infuriating issue. I have filled in the form as clearly as I can with all the information I could disseminate while running the tests you have described, and I hope that it helps in finding a solution for this issue before I am forced to return my machine.

To be fully transparent, as well as to further the investigation on our (the forum's) end, here are my complete findings:

I'm curious to hear if these findings coincide with those of other users on this forum.

At the very least, we now know that a command can be sent to the Subwoofer to disable it, meaning it's very likely possible to change the signal it receives - as well as the volume it receives it at - as well.

Please keep us up-to-date on how everything progresses, MarshallR!

I agree with BRSxIgnition, I have the same problem.

BRSxIgnition
12-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Even if the issue sounds very similar to mine, please go through all the steps like I did to ensure there are no differences. The last thing we need right now is to confuse MarshallR with conflicting reports of what the issue may or may not be.

_
12-18-2014, 10:00 AM

Looking at the form data we gathered and this, it sounds like (sorry!) we have an LFE issue rather than working or not.

I will ask if they can tweak the drivers so the sub only emits when <100Hz is played.

The sub is twice the size of both speakers and it's closer to you, so it will be louder. I will push our RD and Realtek to try a driver with LFE. Will let you know.

I think we have a translation/miscommunication here - the reason why they 'couldn't see' a problem is that they might be looking at the physical functionality, rather than LFE, as the data I relayed before pointed to a 'not working' issue rather than sound domination/LFE issue. At least we should be on the right track now.

escha
12-18-2014, 11:01 AM
I think we have a translation/miscommunication here - the reason why they 'couldn't see' a problem is that they might be looking at the physical functionality, rather than LFE, as the data I relayed before pointed to a 'not working' issue rather than sound domination/LFE issue. At least we should be on the right track now.
That's why i was confused with the DUMP file step only for those with speakers NOT working when sub disabled. Becaouse I have same issues as discribed in the first post... and L/R working with sub disabled.
The truly wierd thing is that there is no 2.1 setup in drivers manager while this is phisycaly 2.1 right? L/R Front + Sub, I know it can be managed with 5.1 but still. 2.1 for build-in speakers and 5.1 option for exterior speakers via jacks and hdmi... (all realtek drivers i've had so far had options like this)
Since the Subwoofer is on 3rd channel it should be playing only those sounds, instead of playing front channel sounds that are above some crossover point or sth like that. And again why the driver doesn't recognize 2.1 setup?

PS: nvm

cablebandit
12-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Marshall i think you are on the right track with the crossover for the sub. My g751jy-dh73-ca acts like everyone else's.....most of sound is from sub but all speakers are working. Thanks for the updates.

BRSxIgnition
12-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Looking at the form data we gathered and this, it sounds like (sorry!) we have an LFE issue rather than working or not.
I will ask if they can tweak the drivers so the sub only emits when <100Hz is played.

I should apologize for that - it was largely my fault that we were looking for a "working"/"not-working" identifier before. I couldn't hear sound from the L/R speakers as clearly as I could with uninstalled drivers, and therefore assumed they were not playing sound with drivers installed. This was a mistake and I should have looked into it more thoroughly before I stated things as fact. I'm very glad now that all the issue reports are lining up and we can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Regardless, thank you very much, MarshallR. "No LFE Signal" - based on what I've looked up online about the term and your testimony - does indeed sound like the issue the vast majority of us are experiencing.

As such, I've updated the first post with this information.

Could you please update us with an ETA on the new drivers as soon as possible? I realize it takes time, but even those of us with extended holiday return periods are beginning to run out.

_
12-19-2014, 01:58 AM
I'm not told an ETA as I just hand over the info and they get on with it sorry. I will, however, feedback on the conclusion of any chat that aims towards an outcome :):)

Afinati
12-19-2014, 05:20 PM
So, I'm still waiting for a resolution to this issue. :( I've only got a month left to return this laptop for full refund.

I'm not purchasing ASUS for a while after this. I had just suggested them to a friend, also. smh

BRSxIgnition
12-21-2014, 06:38 AM
Well, never mind that last post - I've fixed my creaking issue, downgraded the ATK drivers to keep my backlit keyboard lighting on, and a fix for the speaker issue is looking good.

The only issue(s) I still have with the computer are:

Placement of Macros Keys. (Though I can ge used to that, I guess...)
Steam Button functioning as second "ON" button. (.... Seriously?)
Soft. Touch. Finish. (Looks nice, until you touch it.)

Assuming the speaker issue is remedied before January 15th, I won't need to return my machine.

Keep the support coming, MarshallR!

crudetrader
12-21-2014, 02:42 PM
BRS, would you mind sharing how you tweaked the drivers to keep the keyboard backlit to a constant setting? thanks

BRSxIgnition
12-21-2014, 06:18 PM
I uninstalled the ATK Drivers for the G751 (V.1.0.0037) and installed version 1.0.0028, which I got here (http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/HelpDesk_Download/) under utilities.

Doing so removed the stupidly short backlight timer, and keeps the light on at all times, while letting you turn it off manually.

geneticweapon
12-21-2014, 08:42 PM
I uninstalled the ATK Drivers for the G751 (V.1.0.0037) and installed version 1.0.0028, which I got here (http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/HelpDesk_Download/) under utilities.

Doing so removed the stupidly short backlight timer, and keeps the light on at all times, while letting you turn it off manually.

That's awesome that you found a fix for the backlight turning off. After installing this older driver, do your Shadowplay and Steam buttons still function correctly? Also, under which notebook is this particular driver listed for? I looked for it but did not see it.

BRSxIgnition
12-21-2014, 09:27 PM
That's awesome that you found a fix for the backlight turning off. After installing this older driver, do your Shadowplay and Steam buttons still function correctly? Also, under which notebook is this particular driver listed for? I looked for it but did not see it.

I link you to it in the post. On that page, it is listed under utilities.

Macro keys still seem to work, though shadowplay and steam keys seem to have been deactivated. (Which actually isn't that bad, at least for me and others who hate their placement.)

Also, shutting down the steam key means that's one less thing I can complain about, which is great.

geneticweapon
12-21-2014, 09:34 PM

I link you to it in the post. On that page, it is listed under utilities.

Ahh okay, thanks. Unfortunately for me, I use the Shadowplay button a lot.

Arnas
12-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Hi, does speakers problem and usb problems can be solved by software updates? Or it is badly engineered products?

BRSxIgnition
12-22-2014, 05:36 PM
The speaker problem (assuming this is the speaker problem you have) can be solved via software, as far as we know. We're just waiting on the new drivers at the moment.

Regarding the USB issue, I have no idea. I suggest looking at that thread, and seeing if any progress has been made there. (It impacts me far less than the speaker issue, so I'm not too worried about it.)

Arnas
12-22-2014, 05:50 PM
I don't have g751 yet, but i want to know if those problems can be solved, because in February i buy g751jt.

BRSxIgnition
12-23-2014, 03:41 AM
The problems can be solved, and likely will within the next 30 days or so - assuming the issue is what it seems to be; the LFE signal issue.

The speakers aren't amazing, but they're still worth having work properly.

egs42
12-23-2014, 07:27 PM
I just wanted to chime in here as another user with the same audio issues on their G751JY-DH71. I just can't believe something like this got past Asus' QA people (assuming this was QA'ed at all). I bought a G751 after my good experience with my old G73. I'm hoping I won't regret this decision. Also, if this speaker issue is not resolved before my last date for a return, I full expect Asus to get me a full refund and them some for my troubles. There is no excuse for issues like this...

xeromist
12-23-2014, 09:04 PM
I just wanted to chime in here as another user with the same audio issues on their G751JY-DH71. I just can't believe something like this got past Asus' QA people (assuming this was QA'ed at all). I bought a G751 after my good experience with my old G73. I'm hoping I won't regret this decision. Also, if this speaker issue is not resolved before my last date for a return, I full expect Asus to get me a full refund and them some for my troubles. There is no excuse for issues like this...

You should review your warranty terms but I don't think there is any provision for monetary reimbursement. The standard procedure is repair or replace. So if you want a refund you should return it to your retailer before the return period expires.

egs42
12-23-2014, 11:01 PM
You should review your warranty terms but I don't think there is any provision for monetary reimbursement. The standard procedure is repair or replace. So if you want a refund you should return it to your retailer before the return period expires.

There is a difference between warranty terms and the company making good on a promise. If the speakers don't work as advertised and they never will, I don't believe Asus has any recourse other than reimbursing buyers for a laptop that doesn't meet the original specifications. Otherwise they will suffer greatly on the reputation front.

I want to believe this will be fixed. But we can only have that faith for so long before we have to make a go/no-go call.

xeromist
12-24-2014, 12:30 AM
There is a difference between warranty terms and the company making good on a promise. If the speakers don't work as advertised and they never will, I don't believe Asus has any recourse other than reimbursing buyers for a laptop that doesn't meet the original specifications. Otherwise they will suffer greatly on the reputation front.

I want to believe this will be fixed. But we can only have that faith for so long before we have to make a go/no-go call.

Based on current information I'm also inclined to believe this is fixable in software. Even if it's not fixable in software it should be a straight forward RMA to fix incorrect wiring. So yes I'm sure it will be made right in the end. I'm just cautioning against counting on an OEM refund. It's likely the entire audio system would be replaced before that happens. And if the solution is a mass recall through ASUS the process will be more tedious than a retail return simply due to the number of units. So there is potential for a prolonged situation but I'd peg that as slim.

dapogz
12-24-2014, 01:44 AM
Temp Fix #2 is much much Better it will keep your subs from further damage and will also keep the headphone detection..

Because TempFix #1 wil also disable your headphone detection and ruined your analog output :D
Remember to save and back the realtek drivers and the sub-mute/unmute files

Merry Christmas to All may your laptop give simple joys in gaming ;)

BRSxIgnition
12-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Temp Fix #2 is much much Better it will keep your subs from further damage and will also keep the headphone detection..

Because TempFix #1 wil also disable your headphone detection and ruined your analog output :D
Remember to save and back the realtek drivers and the sub-mute/unmute files

I've deleted the old temp fix now, due to it being more complicated and less helpful.

I hope we get a proper fix soon! I just ran Shadow of Mordor on this thing 1080P High settings 60fps without it breaking a sweat. (Temps only reachd 72 degrees on one core.)

I want to keep this thing - just fix the issues and make it worth doing so!

Based on current information I'm also inclined to believe this is fixable in software. Even if it's not fixable in software it should be a straight forward RMA to fix incorrect wiring.

Having opened the laptop to fix my creaking issue, my L/R speakers are wired completely fine. (I have no way of knowing if this is true for the subwoofer.)

We've come to the conclusion this is a software issue by now, I believe.

dapogz
12-24-2014, 11:24 PM
...usb problems can be solved by software updates?

Hi, you can disable the power saving on the USB hub settings to keep the it working.. you must uncheck all 4 "USB hub" Power saving option.

You can go there tru Right Click on My Computer-> Manage-> Device Manager and on the bottom click on each USB hub and uncheck the power saving. this keep the issue on loosing power on usb..and mouse/Keyboard being connect/reconnect. This was one of the windows way to save power ;)

Thanks,

crudetrader
12-25-2014, 04:27 AM
i mentioned earlier that i was just about to get the g751jt ch71 when i saw this thread. Thank you all for making this sound issue public. just went to a big box store and heard the jm model,,,i wont re iterate the positives of which to be fair are many, however,, the SOUND is more than just poor, afer hearing it i find it hard to believe a re worked driver will make this sound even decent,, i know this has been stated already but after hearing this ,a company to release this tells me their are serious problems with asus, its pretty well understood in many companies their customer service is garbage, i have been steered discretely by sales people to msi, i will be checking out another g751, a jt-ch71, very shortly at another store and see what that sounds like, the ironic thing was when a salesperson was trying to sell the jm to me , i turned up the garbage sound and said what do you think of that? he said oh,,, that doesnt sond good youre right, well you can use head phones (ps sound muted, weak and coming almost exclusively from left rear speaker )

RMXM
12-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Was wondering, if my G751JT just has this issue with sound distortion above 35% sometimes, the reseller at most places is sure to change the product with a new one right ?

BRSxIgnition
12-26-2014, 12:14 AM
The issue isn't distortion, it's the fact that the sub receives the wrong signal.

If it received the right signal, it'd be fine and wouldn't distort.

We're waiting for the patched drivers to fix this issue.

Stefan74
12-26-2014, 12:36 AM
Hello to all,
My first post here as a new owner of a G751-JT, bought from Germany (T-7038H (http://geizhals.at/eu/asus-rog-g751jt-t7038h-90nb06m1-m00540-a1180235.html) model).
This is to report that, apparently, my machine is not plagued by the issue described in this thread. I get no distortion whatsoever setting the volume over the 35% level: the audio remains crystal clear, albeit somewhat 'thin'. Bass is not totally absent, just not too prominent, but I can't say it bothers me, as in my book this is rather normal for laptop audio (even one boasting a 'subwoofer'). Compared to my old (well, really old!) 17'' Acer I used to have, the sound is better I'd say, however, I'm not really sure how 'bassy' it is supposed to sound as I don't have a point of reference. Any help to determine if all is OK or not afterall, appreciated!
Here's my config, FYI:
- BIOS: 205 (factory default)
- Realtek Driver: 6.01.7335
- Default Speaker Setup: Stereo (the only other options are quadrophonic & 5.1)

Dongleboo
12-26-2014, 02:26 AM
Hello and Merry Christmas to all!

I have a few questions and I'll try to be short...sort of

Let me explain what problems I encountered - I bought my G751 yesterday (amazing machine) and it was only with DOS installed and no Windows. I have installed Windows 8.1 Pro and I was almost finished with all of the installations when a ****ing malware "attacked" my laptop and soon enough it was pretty much unusable because it had spread outstandingly fast. Anyway, I managed to play some music before the malware and all was very good, the sound was playing from the L/R speakers and the SUB. It was very loud and balanced.
Because of this stupid virus I had to format the HD, again, and installed my Windows, again.

After the second install two things stopped working correctly - first, the Nvidia Shadow Play couldn't turn on (I already fixed this) and the sound is now imbalanced. I can hear probably 80% of all the sound from the SUB only. The L/R speakers are very faint. I tried with the mute.exe and when the sub is muted I can barely hear my speakers. And I do mean BARELY. They are very quiet. I have re-installed the driver but with no effect whatsoever. The sound is now coming out mainly from the SUB and when you stand in front of the laptop it seems that the sound is coming only from the left side! When can we expect a fix? I read through the entire thread and there is no general solution for this.
I don't mind waiting for this, because I use the laptop mainly with headphones, but it's not a very cool thing to have on a brand new laptop for 2.5K

RMXM
12-26-2014, 08:49 AM
The issue isn't distortion, it's the fact that the sub receives the wrong signal.

If it received the right signal, it'd be fine and wouldn't distort.

We're waiting for the patched drivers to fix this issue.

So you say I shouldn't return it then while I still have those 30 days to return ?

BRSxIgnition
12-26-2014, 08:58 AM
So you say I shouldn't return it then while I still have those 30 days to return ?

Yes - based on what we know, it's likely that a simple alteration to the drivers will fix the sound quality a bit, and add some much-needed oomph to the sound of the G751.

This likely won't make the speakers sound any less distant, but it will help with the balance and overall quality of the sound.

RMXM
12-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Yes - based on what we know, it's likely that a simple alteration to the drivers will fix the sound quality a bit, and add some much-needed oomph to the sound of the G751.

This likely won't make the speakers sound any less distant, but it will help with the balance and overall quality of the sound.

I see tho I heard some got it all right out of the box with the current drivers, guess i'l just try my luck and get another one if they will change it as it is an issue I guess right?

MOHATAMIR
12-26-2014, 10:38 AM
still no FIX guys? :(

BRSxIgnition
12-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Still no fix, but we're well on the way to one, and it seems like MarshallR is doing all he can for us. Judging from the replies he received on the forms he sent out, as well as what has now been found out due to the "Mute Subwoofer" executable he sent us, we now know what the issue is, and he is getting Realtek to develop a new driver (or alter the existing one) to solve the issue - since it is software related.

I rather not start getting annoyed or depressed again before we even hear back from him.

Oh, quick update on something that I've noticed. "Mute.exe" needs to be used on every startup if you plan on using the laptop speakers without damaging your subwoofer.

I thought the setting remained through reboots/restarts/shutdowns, but it seems it does not. So just a heads up!

dapogz
12-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Hi,
Do you hear any rattle on your speakers? like a buzzing or hissing sound (specially when you adjust your volume and it goes DiNG!) well acctually its not the speakers that rattles, its the audio itself has a buzzing sound.. not sure if the Windows Audio File (Ding) has the buzzing sound or the audio output (regardless of what speakers used) has a "zsshhh" sound after every DiNG! sound,

Even on a headphones you can still hear the zssshh sound after the Ding sound :rolleyes:

:D i think there really is no problem with the speakers, just audio software.

RMXM
12-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Is there some reason only certain laptops have out of the box speaker problems if the problem comes from the drivers?

General Lee
12-27-2014, 06:55 PM
If it wasn't mentioned already, you can mitigate the distortion issues with the Audiowizard equalizer by dropping the 500 Hz and surrounding frequencies.

BRSxIgnition
12-28-2014, 03:22 AM
Is there some reason only certain laptops have out of the box speaker problems if the problem comes from the drivers?

We don't know why this is. It's very likely that sound is messed up on all of them and some people just haven't noticed or don't care. (There are people who buy beats headphones after all.)

If it wasn't mentioned already, you can mitigate the distortion issues with the Audiowizard equalizer by dropping the 500 Hz and surrounding frequencies.

This removes those frequencies from all speakers though, which is the last thing you want to do.

KoolASUS
12-28-2014, 09:49 AM
We don't know why this is. It's very likely that sound is messed up on all of them and some people just haven't noticed or don't care. (There are people who buy beats headphones after all.)

Well, I asked someone on a French forum, who did a review of the G751 ("wow", "fast", etc...) , if he had noticed sound problems. He answered : now that you ask , yes, the sound is horrible and unbalanced. he didn't even mention it in his test.

So it's a good guess to say that every G751 is affected.

(Personally, I have a G750JH. just FYI, the French G750JH I bought in september 2013 never had any "Audiowizard" issues. I think it was shipped with different Realtek audio drivers than the early USA ones. Also, the ROG Audiowizard thing was "only" a small bug in the install files :p. Sadly, the G751 issue might be completely different - bad wiring, or "design flaw" between the Realtek chip and the motherboard...)

General Lee
12-28-2014, 10:29 AM
This removes those frequencies from all speakers though, which is the last thing you want to do.

You don't have to turn the knobs all the way down. The resulting sound is definitely better than just using the sub mute.

Anirban
12-28-2014, 11:44 AM
The sound issue the only thing keeping me from buying this beast.
A newegg user has mentioned a workaround in their review , which i couldnt find in this thread , so posting it :

The speakers; for those of you experiencing issues with the speakers, make sure that if you have the Realtek Audio Driver installed (check the ASUS support page). If it is not installed, the subwoofer and rear speakers will not play simultaneously and only one or the other can be selected in the Sound Control Panel in Windows.

ALSO, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, make sure if Realtek Audio Driver is installed, DISABLE ALL Nvidia High Definition audio devices in your Device Manager. Open up a File Explorer window, and right click on 'This PC' and click Manage. This will pull up a Device Manager window; go to Sound, Audio, and Game controllers and disable any driver/device you see with Nvidia and Audio in the same sentence. These drivers interfere with the Realtek driver and are completely unnecessary unless you plan on connecting this device to an external monitor and using the Monitors speakers/ speakers hooked into the monitors audio jack.

Could anyone please confirm if this works?

cablebandit
12-28-2014, 04:44 PM
The sound issue the only thing keeping me from buying this beast.
A newegg user has mentioned a workaround in their review , which i couldnt find in this thread , so posting it :

The speakers; for those of you experiencing issues with the speakers, make sure that if you have the Realtek Audio Driver installed (check the ASUS support page). If it is not installed, the subwoofer and rear speakers will not play simultaneously and only one or the other can be selected in the Sound Control Panel in Windows.

ALSO, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, make sure if Realtek Audio Driver is installed, DISABLE ALL Nvidia High Definition audio devices in your Device Manager. Open up a File Explorer window, and right click on 'This PC' and click Manage. This will pull up a Device Manager window; go to Sound, Audio, and Game controllers and disable any driver/device you see with Nvidia and Audio in the same sentence. These drivers interfere with the Realtek driver and are completely unnecessary unless you plan on connecting this device to an external monitor and using the Monitors speakers/ speakers hooked into the monitors audio jack.

Could anyone please confirm if this works?

i just disabled all Nvidia audio stuff in device manager and nothing changed...still disproportionate sound speakers/subwoofer

ReDFoX2200
12-28-2014, 04:52 PM
long story short, this will be only be fixed with new driver recognizing 2.1 speakers

cablebandit
12-28-2014, 05:47 PM
I have the g751jy and even if the sound issues is never fixed, Ill be ok as laptop sound quality is ALWAYS lacking. As is, it's good enough for youtube vids...i use earbuds for games or serious sound

x7007
12-28-2014, 05:52 PM
I just go my laptop G751JT H7060 , so you say we won't have working subwoofer ?

Richdog
12-28-2014, 05:56 PM
I just go my laptop G751JT H7060 , so you say we won't have working subwoofer ?

Read the thread?

x7007
12-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Should I update to 205 ? I got the laptop with 202 if that effect any of that

BRSxIgnition
12-28-2014, 06:47 PM
205 has no impact on speakers, but it's useful otherwise, so I don't see why not.

cip_bleah
12-29-2014, 03:46 AM
The sound problem seems to be only software. With the windows drivers that shows 2 playback devices you can test this, using a player (i use potplayer) that can output at the same time on both devices, then you can adjust the volume separately. Put the sub at 30% and the back speakers at full and sound is pretty decent, though i cannot set the LFE only signal for sub. This works only for music not games or anything else. Hoping for a fix soon, but i care little because i use an external DAC and AMP for headphones anyway. They should add an option for 2.1 speakers with separate control in the drivers for the sub and main.
Playing on this laptop with the highest quality graphics and using laptop speaker seems a waste for anybody serious about gaming.

dapogz
12-29-2014, 04:12 AM
205 has no impact on speakers, but it's useful otherwise, so I don't see why not.

Where do you see the 205 bios update? i only see 204 on the ASUS driver download site...

geneticweapon
12-29-2014, 05:18 AM
Where do you see the 205 bios update? i only see 204 on the ASUS driver download site...

It depends on which model laptop model you have.

sati747
12-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Dapogz,

You go to http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/Gaming_Products/, find your model, and withing your model's main page, you can see a "support" tab at the upper-right corner. Click on the support and it should be intuitive after that. Hope this helps. I was as confused as you when everyone is talking about 205 BIOS which is not on the support page. ASUS can certainly do a better job on this. :-)

P.S. I have a G751JT-CH71

Sati747

hmscott
12-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Dapogz,

You go to http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/Gaming_Products/, find your model, and withing your model's main page, you can see a "support" tab at the upper-right corner. Click on the support and it should be intuitive after that. Hope this helps. I was as confused as you when everyone is talking about 205 BIOS which is not on the support page. ASUS can certainly do a better job on this. :-)

P.S. I have a G751JT-CH71

Sati747

Sati747, it turns out that Asus has 3 different Design/Layout's for support/downloads for the G751 series, with the 3rd having the most/newest packages:

Asus G751 Support / Download areas
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55572-Asus-G751-Support-Download-areas&p=461698&viewfull=1#post461698

The 205 BIOS's don't show up in the 1st Design/Layout, but are in the 2nd and 3rd :)

egs42
12-30-2014, 05:30 AM
You know, I was just thinking about everyone that tried the speakers out playing their favorite music at a high volume or has them at loud volume w/o muting the sub-woofer after a reboot could be causing irreversible damage. Because of that, we may eventually be looking at a software fix and Asus having to replace the sub-woofers too since we are inadvertently damaging them through the bad drivers provided by Asus.

BTW, the laptop otherwise rocks! I've tried Far Cry 4 on it and it's beautiful. I'm now playing through Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings with my Steelseries headphones and it is GREAT! I can't wait for the updated drivers so I can recommend it to friends without hesitation as I previously did my Asus G73!

BRSxIgnition
12-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Hoping for an update on the drivers this week. January is upon us, ASUS. 2 weeks left before we're forced to make some hard decisions.

I hope that testing the sound systems and such hasn't caused irreversible damage to our subwoofers, but it is a possibility...

Updates as soon as possible would be appreciated!

cablebandit
12-30-2014, 12:43 PM
damage to the subwoofer....arent we reaching a bit?

BRSxIgnition
12-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Actually we aren't at all.

Everyone who has done the signal tests for the speakers reports the same thing; distortion on the subwoofer when playing audio past 35% volume.

This is because it's a larger speaker designed to accompany the main L/R speakers by playing low frequencies only. This is also why it's supposed to be receiving an LFE signal; the diaphragm is simply not designed to vibrate at the speeds that higher frequencies require, it's meant for the slower vibrations; aka the lower frequencies.

I'm just worried because I played about 30 minutes of Tomb Raider (at around 80% volume...) way back before I realized there was an issue, and I've played some music (at a much safer 30% level now) through the subwoofer as well during signal testing.

Regardless, the point stands - we need a new driver, and hopefully the new driver routing the LFE signal correctly fixes our issues once and for all.

cablebandit
12-30-2014, 06:57 PM
mine doesnt distort above 35% but your point is taken.
LFE= Low Frequency Effects ..AKA the .1 in a 5.1 system...... a discrete audio channel. The "woofer" in my g751jy is probably not going to play sub 60hz notes even when it is working properly..it is still a tiny speaker
What we need is bass management where we can adjust the crossover for the woofer

BRSxIgnition
12-30-2014, 07:05 PM
mine doesnt distort above 35% but your point is taken.
LFE= Low Frequency Effects ..AKA the .1 in a 5.1 system...... a discrete audio channel. The "woofer" in my g751jy is probably not going to play sub 60hz notes even when it is working properly..it is still a tiny speaker
What we need is bass management where we can adjust the crossover for the woofer

While it is a tiny speaker, it's still more than double the size of the L/R speakers, (I've checked) and because it's closer, it's drowning them out completely by playing the wrong signal. (A regular L/R signal)

We need to send the Subwoofer the right signal first - then we can focus on adjusting the bass it puts out and the crossover to optimize the audio balance.

Rares95
12-30-2014, 10:33 PM
If we don't get an ETA by Thursday i will return my laptop. This and the touchpad coming off killed my enthusiasm about the laptop.

x7007
12-30-2014, 10:55 PM
When will we have a fix or a ETA ?

Adly2010
12-31-2014, 06:40 AM
i want to ask question
if i watch movies with 4 friends on G751
the sound will be clear and loud ? we will hear each sound clearly ?

fabrimacator21
12-31-2014, 06:57 AM
I had the volume at 75% on games and videos with the current audio problems and it sounded decent with sound just coming from the sub. Now I keep it at 35% so I don't kill the sub. I think once they get the LFE issue figured out it should sound pretty good but who knows. I don't think anyone has one that doesn't have this problem.

Adly2010
12-31-2014, 08:10 AM
I had the volume at 75% on games and videos with the current audio problems and it sounded decent with sound just coming from the sub. Now I keep it at 35% so I don't kill the sub. I think once they get the LFE issue figured out it should sound pretty good but who knows. I don't think anyone has one that doesn't have this problem.

1- you are sure that the issue is a software problem?
2- with 75% volume is good and loud ?

BRSxIgnition
12-31-2014, 08:19 AM
The issue is software because if we stop using the asus drivers the speakers work fine seperately.

This has been stated multiple times.

Adly2010
12-31-2014, 09:26 AM
The issue is software because if we stop using the asus drivers the speakers work fine seperately.

This has been stated multiple times.

so why you don't stop using the asus driver as this resolves the problem ?

escha
12-31-2014, 10:17 AM
so why you don't stop using the asus driver as this resolves the problem ?

becouse we want them to work simultaniously as advertised, subwoofer playing LFE sounds
not having to choose between L/R speakers OR subwoofer....

Adly2010
12-31-2014, 10:25 AM
becouse we want them to work simultaniously as advertised, subwoofer playing LFE sounds
not having to choose between L/R speakers OR subwoofer....

so I can buy g751jt and stop using the asus drivers until they release new drivers ?
if i did that the sound will be loud and clear from speakers ?

cablebandit
12-31-2014, 12:30 PM
so I can buy g751jt and stop using the asus drivers until they release new drivers ?
if i did that the sound will be loud and clear from speakers ?

buy Asus...uninstall realtek sound devices AND drivers...reboot.....enjoy decent sound with MS drivers until asus fixes this. Coming from an Acer and a Toshiba notebook, the broken sound on the Asus is already better than the acer/toshiba.

Adly2010
12-31-2014, 02:10 PM
buy Asus...uninstall realtek sound devices AND drivers...reboot.....enjoy decent sound with MS drivers until asus fixes this. Coming from an Acer and a Toshiba notebook, the broken sound on the Asus is already better than the acer/toshiba.

the sound after uninstalling asus driver will be loud enough for watching movies with friends ?

cablebandit
12-31-2014, 02:24 PM
the sound after uninstalling asus driver will be loud enough for watching movies with friends ?

yes!!

Adly2010
12-31-2014, 04:06 PM
My question now : after uninstalling asus driver >> sound will be from speaker only ? the sound will be loud and clear to watch movies and listening to music with a group of people ?

BRSxIgnition
12-31-2014, 05:56 PM
We really need an ETA on this.. C'mon Marshall & ASUS, start the new year off right!

Paco
12-31-2014, 07:25 PM
had to ask Santa for some laptop speakers:D ... but they really should have come from Asus.:p

HulkSmash
12-31-2014, 10:26 PM
I was getting really distorted sounds from the subwoofer, I tried messing around with the equalizer on Audio Wizard and it sounds a lot better -for me at least. Hope it helps one of you :)