PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting g73jh Power Failure

MacHinery
12-03-2014, 09:04 PM
First post, so be kind.

The rig had experienced minor overheating issues (70 degrees normal, 90 degrees under load,) and random abrupt shutdowns with GPU spikes, e.g. 100% capacity used whilst browsing leading to an immediate shutdown.

Once the rig shut down (regardless of temperature,) getting it to start back up would be completely random. The power button would be pressed, the lights would blink for a split second, turn back off, and no other hardware would respond. Other times, it'd turn back on just fine.

So, I thought that repasting the GPU couldn't hurt. Once that job was done, the computer turned on just fine, temps were at 50 degrees, and then about half an hour later, it shut off for no reason.

It was restarted in safe mode, and a virus scan was started, and it immediately shut down.

Now, it will not turn back on.

This seems like a very low level virus/rootkit, that lives in the most basic memory that is used when the computer begins turning on.

When plugged in, the charging light is on: There is no power issue, and no short. If there was, this light wouldn't come on.

When the ROG button is pressed, it will not turn on. (Pressing this button does a quick load with no windows and limited functionality?)

When the Power button is pressed, it will not turn on.

How do I fix this?

xeromist
12-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Have you tried removing the battery? I'm not sure it will help but that would be one less thing to go wrong.

MacHinery
12-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Are you referring to the cmos battery? That is about 2 years old. The main battery is dead. The computer would work intermittently regardless of the dead main battery being plugged in. It has nothing to do with that. This is mentioned indirectly in the op; charging is registered positively. It is not due to a faulty connection or power cable.

MacHinery
12-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Note that a well coded virus could make the computer not register the charge of the battery and cause issues with drawing/supplying power.

xeromist
12-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Are you referring to the cmos battery? That is about 2 years old. The main battery is dead. The computer would work intermittently regardless of the dead main battery being plugged in. It has nothing to do with that. This is mentioned indirectly in the op; charging is registered positively. It is not due to a faulty connection or power cable.

Yes, I was referring to the main battery. I'm not sure if it might be possible to get a green charging light even if the battery isn't actually charging. Since removing the main battery is a simple task I was just inquiring if it had been tried. Most likely you have tried and it changed nothing, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

It seems unlikely to be a virus since it no longer responds at all. The gradual decay from intermittent failure to brief blips of power to no response at all sounds more like a hardware component failure. But unless you see visible damage such as leaking capacitors this will be difficult to narrow down. You could try removing all but one memory module in case one of them has failed. Other than that, swapping out components is going to be difficult as the parts are not readily available.

MacHinery
12-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Def. A virus, the system begins to boot and is told, erroneously, that it doesn't have power. Debugged the hardware failure side of things. I guess you didn't understand that I already tried removing the battery; apologies for being unclear. Resistance is normal, system works at times. Will debug that again though and hope that you are right. There are cases of these things shipping with viruses though, which doesn't bode well.

xeromist
12-04-2014, 12:03 AM
OK, I'm still not convinced but to answer your question the way to get rid of a BIOS virus would be either swapping the chip or having access to a CMOS programmer (and original image) in order to wipe and reprogram yours. The G73 doesn't have a failsafe blind flash mode so if you can't get the machine to start then there is no way to alter the BIOS image using only the machine itself.

MacHinery
12-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Well, asking the guy who used to do that for missiles will take a while, brb. /s

MacHinery
12-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Okay, so, got it to fire up, bunch of viruses, did a rootkit scan too, then it gets stuck logging off.... bricked again.

We'll see how replacing the CMOS battery goes. If that works, then frigging great. Hopefully that'll be all there is to it.

HEY KIDS! Did you know if you use a magnifying glass on your motherboard in full sunlight, you'll fix this issue? Make sure to watch for puffs of blue smoke. (don't do that.)

It's hard to not be sarcastic, sorry.

Last resort is calling my friend who does CMOS programming. That may be hard because they're imaginary.

Just realized... BIOS password is set... resetting this may make my computer more boned due to less security from whatever is on the HD...

MacHinery
12-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Well.... that went terribly. The damn thing has it's fans blasting at 100% (it used to only go up to 30%) and has a black screen. Fuggit, imma gonna go cuddle with a cute girl.

xeromist
12-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Last resort is calling my friend who does CMOS programming. That may be hard because they're imaginary.

Yeah, I don't know anyone either. The easier way would be recovering a good chip from an otherwise junk g73jh.

MacHinery
12-04-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm now moving into phase II; that requires a virgin goat, a stone altar, an obsidian knife, and a prayer to Cthulhu... please stand by.

MacHinery
12-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Removed CMOS battery, put it back in after an hour, tested motherboard with power... all the blue lights started flashing b4 I even pressed the power-on button. Re-seated everything, and it went back to turning on, minus fan activity.

Sacrificed goat. Re-reseated everything.

Motherboard turns on for a split second, then turns back off.

Help.