PDA

View Full Version : Worlds best SSD only running in SATA II mode...why?

Tindreal
12-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Hey all!
As you all are aware, currently the best SSD on the market is the Samsung 850 Pro, thanks to the 3D V-Nand technology it even outperforms the currently available mPCI SSDs, even thou it has "only" a SATA III connector.

I purchased the 256 GB model which should give up to 550 read and 520 MB/s write speed.
My connector in the bay with the mPCI connector was taken by the HDD and the screws can not be removed, so I just installed the SSD in the 2nd bay.

I booted and installed Windows, all went smoothly. I installed all drivers and checked in various softwares which said that SATA 3 interface is used for the SSD. I checked because some said that the 2nd bay only had SATA 2 which even thou is stupid (since I doubt Asus would step back in technology), but I checked just in case.

However when I checked the read/write speeds, they were only SATA 2 speeds, they did not exceed 300Mb/s.

Why? What is the problem? I am using the latest ASUS drivers.

Here is a screenshot of HWInfo confirming the sata3 connector and also a screenshot of CrystalDiskInfo confirming that sata/600 is supported, however sata/300 is used. The HDD is running in SATA/600 mode.

I have checked speeds with CrystalDiskMark and ATTO.

Does ASUS in the BIOS block SATA SSD storages to fully utilize in SATA3 mode in order to force customers to buy an mPCI SSD?

ps.: My friend is having the same problem, only difference is that he has an OCZ Sata 3 SSD in the 1st bay with the mPCI connector.

pps: Driver controller for the SSD is: Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s

Any idea?

Joystick
12-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Worlds best SSD only running in SATA II mode...why?

Because you bought the world's best SSD and a notebook with a SATA II port.

Start reading from seagle7's post:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52546-Which-SSD-s-in-G751-and-what-can-you-replace-them-with/page4

Tindreal
12-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Than why does HWInfo recognize it as SATA 3, but reports only 3GB/s speed ? Should it recognize it as SATA2 if it is only sata2 connector?

hmscott
12-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Than why does HWInfo recognize it as SATA 3, but reports only 3GB/s speed ? Should it recognize it as SATA2 if it is only sata2 connector?

Tindreal, my thoughts as well. IDK what is going on with it, but if it says it is capable of 6Gbit/s, why is it connecting at only 3Gbit/sec.

sati747
12-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Tindreal,

Take a look at my post on the other thread...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52546-Which-SSD-s-in-G751-and-what-can-you-replace-them-with/page6

Zip1
12-03-2014, 11:04 PM
It has been suggested, and seems quite logical, that the proper way to interpret HWiFO64 indication of "6Gb @ 3Gb" is that 6Gb refers to the drive and the 3Gb refers to the port. (Sadly)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52546-Which-SSD-s-in-G751-and-what-can-you-replace-them-with&p=452939&viewfull=1#post452939

(edit) Sorry, same info as above...