PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux Mint on G751JY?

lau22
12-04-2014, 09:29 AM
I'm trying to dual boot with Linux Mint but haven't had much luck so far.

I've got the bootable USB disk, and can boot from it and see the first screen. But as soon as the installation starts, there's a crash (kernel panic) without any specific error message.

Did anybody managed to install Linux Mint (or maybe some other distro) on this laptop?

D_Pain
12-04-2014, 12:06 PM
So do you at least get to see the GRUB screen? or do you also not get that screen?

Dr. Zchivago
12-04-2014, 12:10 PM
I have had success with Ubuntu 12.04/13.10 and with Mint, but on a G55VW.

It looks to me like you may have a bad image - try downloading an entirely new image from the Mint website and UUI your flash drive again.

Z

lau22
12-04-2014, 12:53 PM
So do you at least get to see the GRUB screen? or do you also not get that screen?

I can see the GRUB screen. After that I've tried both "Integrity check" and "Start Linux Mint" and both give this kernel panic error.

lau22
12-04-2014, 12:54 PM

It looks to me like you may have a bad image - try downloading an entirely new image from the Mint website and UUI your flash drive again.

Z

I've downloaded it very recently, but I'll try downloading it again just to be sure.

D_Pain
12-04-2014, 01:45 PM
I haven't installed Mint but I have installed Ubuntu. After the GRUB screen I just got a blank screen. I googled it and found out that my G751JT's open source driver was not compatible so I had to change the "quiet splash" parameter to "nomodeset". That fixed the problem for me. Probably your issue might also be caused by the open source graphics card driver.

lau22
12-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Z

Well you were right, it turns out that my disk image was corrupted. I've downloaded it again and now it works.

I'm getting another problem now is that Linux Mint doesn't detect my partitions properly. On the SDD drive, I have a Windows partition (100GB) and I've prepared a Linux one (120GB), but when I start installing Linux Mint, it only sees a 256GB partition.

I've read that I might need to boot the USB drive in UEFI mode, but I can't find out how to do this. If I disable CMS in the bios, I can't boot the USB. If I enable it, I can but then I guess I'm in non-UEFI mode anymore. Any idea, how to boot in UEFI mode?

D_Pain
12-04-2014, 03:30 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54342-Dual-booting-Windows-8-1-amp-Ubuntu-14-04-in-G751JT

I wrote a guide how to dual-boot Ubuntu in G751JT. Step4 shows how to get into UEFI and change that you can boot using a USB.

lau22
12-04-2014, 03:47 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54342-Dual-booting-Windows-8-1-amp-Ubuntu-14-04-in-G751JT

I wrote a guide how to dual-boot Ubuntu in G751JT. Step4 shows how to get into UEFI and change that you can boot using a USB.

Thanks, I gave that a try but I'm not seeing the UEFI settings. If I shift-click on Restart, there's only three options under Troubleshoot: Refresh your PC, Reset your PC and Advanced Options (didn't find it under Advanced Options either). I'm probably missing something here but not sure what.

If it makes any difference, I broke all my partitions at some point and had to manually re-install Windows 8.1 from an ISO. Not sure if that would change something to the UEFI settings.

D_Pain
12-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Depending on the Version of Windows8 I think that option does not show up. If so, you have to click probably F2 or delete or ESC immediately when you boot your laptop. What button you have to click depends on your laptop model.

lau22
12-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Okay eventually I got it to work. My problem was that Windows 8.1 was in BIOS legacy mode and my Linux Mint bootable disk was also not a GDP partition. So I've fixed it like this:

- Re-created bootable UEFI Windows 8.1 USB with Rufus (other programs I've tried didn't create the right disk)

- Re-installed Windows 8.1

- Re-created bootable UEFI Linux Mint USB drive with Rufus again (the Pendrive program usually recommended didn't work for me)

- Then I've restarted and pressed ESC when the laptop boot. This displayed the screen from which I could select my drive.

- After that, I could see the partitions in the Linux Mint installer and it was just a regular installation

I've got another problem though is that Grub doesn't show up when the computer boots. I need to press ESC every time to select the device (otherwise it selects nothing and can't boot at all). Any idea how I could get Grub to show up on startup?

lau22
12-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Oh well, it fixed itself eventually. It wasn't showing up at first but now it does. I think it's after I messed with the grub settings to boot in terminal-only mode.

Another trouble I got is with installing the latest NVidia drivers. It won't install when Xserver is running, so you need to install from a raw terminal. In various places, it's suggested to type Ctrl+Alt+1 or Ctrl+Alt+3 but that only gave me a black screen. What worked for me is to start the Linux Mint recovery partition and from there it is possible to go to a root prompt and install the drivers.

The last part would be to get the trackpad to work properly, in particular double-touch movements like scrolling. If someone has an idea about this, please let me know.