PDA

View Full Version : G751-JY keyboard slugghish! (and other issues)

Volador
12-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Hello everyone, my first post here and my first asus laptop yay!

Unfortunately i have to say that for a 2000 € laptop i'm having annyoing issues with this computer. I was thinking of this or MSI for my computer but all of the reviews said that the build quality and cooling of the asus is extremely good. And my desktop has always had asus monitors and graphics card plus all of the laptops on my workplace (purchased by me :) work just fine! Now for the first time i'm starting to regret my choice (unfortunately). My problems are of the following:

-Laptops keyboard feels unresponsive. My typing speed is really fast and the keyboard seems to miss a letter here and there. I'm certain that i apply enough of pressure on the keys but still it feels like the I/O of the keyboard jams and it does not register the letter. It's usually if i'm writing a word that has two of the same letters in a row. This rant i'm writing on usb connected normal Logitech K120 keyboard and all of the letters that i write come on the screen fine. This is extremely annoying problem, so i was wondering that is anyone else having the same issues? I tried to read most of the threads that could have some answer or have people with an similar issues but came on empty handed.

SOLVED FOR ME BY DISABLING INTERNAL POITING DEVICES FROM BIOS (im using external usb mouse)

- Right top corner of the screen bezel is squeaky, like as if its loose and when i press on it it makes a clicking sound like it settles back. If i press about 1-2 inch left or down from the spot it clicks back up.

CANNOT BE SOLVED WITHOUT SENDING MACHINE FOR MAINTENANCE, NOT A BIGGIE.

- Also using the sound presets on the asus rog audio wizard make the speakers sound funny. If i click on any of the presets almost all of the bass is removed from the speakers (or headphones) and the sound goes completely crappy. If i click the asus rog audio wizard off it works fine. This issue came after i installed the latest drivers from asus site. I tried to revert back to earlier drivers but the problem is still there.

- i have one stuck pixel on the right top side of the screen, tried JScreen to get rid of it but it did not help.

CANNOT BE SOLVED WITHOUT SENDING MACHINE FOR MAINTENANCE, NOT A BIGGIE.

- Subwoofer is giving out the front audio, not bass. Im currently only using headphones which work fine and waiting for a driver update.

ASUS IS INVESTIGATING THE PROBLEM

I know that the bezel issue is common and other people have it too.. its not an biggie even tho its not that top quality that reviewers wrote about and the audio system is having lots of problems and that asus knows about them (driver issues), im certain that the audio thingy will be fixed eventually. But this typing issue is the most annoying thing in the world (After that squeking chicken on youtube). Someone please help!!!!

Kind regards
Volo

Volador
12-04-2014, 05:43 PM
I just did an full computer recovery back to factory settings. ROG audio wizard started to work after the reset. Music had nice bass etc. well then i went to asus site and installed the newest realtek audio driver and the rog audio wizard stopped working immediately. I can still select from the presets but the sound is really thin without bass. I also noticed that there is selections small, medium and large for the speakers. After the recovery i could click on them and the soundscape would change.. after the driver update i can't select them anymore and the sound is really thin without bass. Now the best preset is off.

I wanted to use the recovery to see if this keyboard issue is affected by drivers that i had installed previously. I'll continue to use the computers own keyboard for a few days and see if i still get those random "key press not registered" issues.
I

Volador
12-05-2014, 03:41 PM
It seems that the problem persists. I read last night that some macro key software could make this problem so i removed asus macro key's utility but it did not help. Seems like im all alone with this problem?

Darnassus
12-06-2014, 05:45 PM
To fix your letters not registering, go to charm bar > Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and Devices > Mouse and Touchpad > Touchpad

Turn the delay OFF or to Short if you like the feature.

It might be on medium.

For your bezel, just take off the rubber foot, grab a Phillips head screw driver ( + ) and tighten it up a little. The foot will stick back in the slot when placed back in.

P.S. Sorry for the late response, I'm not normally in the G751 realm, I'm more in the G750 area. Hope it helps your issue.

Volador
12-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Hello Darnassus and thanks for the reply!

I had the touchpad diasbled all the time. I use normal usb-gaming mouse. How does that touchpad delay affect the keyboard? The setting was on medium and i changed it to off. I'm not sure what its supposed to do? I'll try your fix and report if the problem is gone.

There is a really small rectangle shaped rubber feet on the screen next to the spot where the bezel makes the clicking sound. About 1-2 inch away from it. There is a second similar rubber feet about 2 feet down from the spot on the right side of the bezel. I removed the other and there was no screw under it. They are really thin.. maybe on G750 model they are bigger and hide a screw under them?
You can see them on this picture: http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/ce912c23c2fb6232598121500ba81a3d/201005458/rogfullbleed3.jpg

I think that on this model the front and the back of the screen is pressed together with those plastic rims that make the parts go together..atleast i cant see where they could have hidden screws in it.

But anyways, thanks for the reply i'll try out your fix!

Darnassus
12-07-2014, 03:07 AM
Oh wow you're right.. there's no rubber feet anymore. How weird.. I did not notice.

Volador
12-09-2014, 03:39 PM
I can confirm that the problem persists, the keyboard feels sluggish and is not registering all of the key presses/letters i write.

I've also noticed that i have an jammed pixel on the screen... trying to fix it with JScreen. I've contacted Asus on these problems and they are investigating (i sent some photos of the screen etc.).

hmscott
12-09-2014, 04:37 PM
I can confirm that the problem persists, the keyboard feels sluggish and is not registering all of the key presses/letters i write.
I've also noticed that i have an jammed pixel on the screen... trying to fix it with JScreen. I've contacted Asus on these problems and they are investigating (i sent some photos of the screen etc.).

Volador, the standard cure for this on the G750 series is to use Asus Gesture to disable the Touchpad when an external mouse is connected, and use an external mouse. That brings the keyboard into full response, you might give it a try on the G751.

The SmartGesture systray app looks like a tiny touchpad. After enabling the touchpad disable, and connecting a mouse, there will be a round red circle with an X in it on the icon.

Please come back and let us know if that works :)

Volador
12-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Hello hmscott and thanks for the reply. I had allready disabled the pad using the function key and the diasable pad key from the keyboard. I used the touchpad only for a moment when i got the computer, plugged in my gaming usb mouse and disabled the pad. I now selected that automatic pad disable too. I got e-mail from an different asus support person. Hes advice was to do a full recovery for the whole computer which i had allready done earlier (and had written of it to the support persons).

Because i have done the full recovery reset and it did not help im assuming the problem might be hardware related. Not just sure how, but i asked the opinion of the asus support person about the keyboard and am waiting for an reply. Returning the computer to the reseller and getting an new one is hard here in Finland after 14 days which has allready passed (if you start the computer then basically you cant return it anymore to them and they will direct you to contact asus).

hmscott
12-10-2014, 05:13 AM
Hello hmscott and thanks for the reply. I had allready disabled the pad using the function key and the diasable pad key from the keyboard. I used the touchpad only for a moment when i got the computer, plugged in my gaming usb mouse and disabled the pad. I now selected that automatic pad disable too. I got e-mail from an different asus support person. Hes advice was to do a full recovery for the whole computer which i had allready done earlier (and had written of it to the support persons).

Because i have done the full recovery reset and it did not help im assuming the problem might be hardware related. Not just sure how, but i asked the opinion of the asus support person about the keyboard and am waiting for an reply. Returning the computer to the reseller and getting an new one is hard here in Finland after 14 days which has allready passed (if you start the computer then basically you cant return it anymore to them and they will direct you to contact asus).

Volador, disabling the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in has always worked on the G750, maybe it is something else here, or you have a bad keyboard - we haven't seen complaints yet for the G751 with this problem, I think you are the first. :)

Perhaps it can be cured with PC Settings for the keyboard, or control panel, but I would guess you already tried those too.

Do any of the new apps from Asus for tweaking the G751 have any keyboard settings sections?

Volador
12-10-2014, 05:57 AM
What apps are you referring to exactly hmscott? I have not noticed any apps relating to keyboard. I've read that some macro-key software can cause problems (have removed the asus macro keys program) and also some people report on other computers that removing the battery helps... i guess that's a no go on this model ;). I'll investigate more today or tomorrow when i have more time (work and other life affecting my hobbies ;).

hmscott
12-10-2014, 07:39 AM
What apps are you referring to exactly hmscott? I have not noticed any apps relating to keyboard. I've read that some macro-key software can cause problems (have removed the asus macro keys program) and also some people report on other computers that removing the battery helps... i guess that's a no go on this model ;). I'll investigate more today or tomorrow when i have more time (work and other life affecting my hobbies ;).

Volador, I was only suggesting to take a look, I don't have a specific example, only hoping there was another solution since disabling the touchpad didn't work.

It would seem, slowing down the input is the only solution that will work for you. I also type fast, most / all laptop keyboards hold me back, that is why I always use an external keyboard.

Slow response isn't why I stopped using internal keyboards, I can always modulate my typing style to accommodate the tool at the time, but instead I was tired of replacing keyboards broken or drenched by some liquid. Providing external keyboards to my family solved that problem for us.

The times I am forced to rely on the keyboard are rare, and I dislike using touchpads for work/gaming, so for me the built in keyboard gets tested for full functionality when I get it, but after that it sits unused, waiting for the next owner's use.

Finding fault in a laptop keyboard isn't difficult, they are 99% all crap, MSI is offering an 18" laptop with a full switched key keyboard, that is the first I have seen in a long time that would even get close to qualifying as a real keyboard.

You might try another example of your model in a brick and mortar store to see if it is endemic to the keyboard, or just your model, before you waste time RMA'ing only to get back the same result.

Have fun :)

Volador
12-14-2014, 07:22 AM
I have not found any solution to the problem. Still have not heard anything from asus support. I've tried slowing down input speed and the keyboard still misses keys. I tried two other (13" and 15") normal Asus Laptops at my work office and i can type as fast as i can and they register all of the pressed keys. All of the typos that come are real typos that i notice my self when typing.

I think that i something is not working correctly and it can be "fixed" by using usb keyboard does not make the product less faulty.

I can live with the pixel problem, speaker problem and the ips glow but this keyboard thing is a no-go for me and i'll contact asus again with another ticket and try to get some help from them. So far my first experience ever with asus support is really bad.. i've received two short answers/questions. First was that can i send a picture of the stuck pixel (which i did) and then another person mailed me that try to restore the whole OS (which i stated in my mail that i've allready done). So Asus nordic support seems to suck bad.

hmscott
12-14-2014, 07:32 AM
I have not found any solution to the problem. Still have not heard anything from asus support. I've tried slowing down input speed and the keyboard still misses keys. I tried two other (13" and 15") normal Asus Laptops at my work office and i can type as fast as i can and they register all of the pressed keys. All of the typos that come are real typos that i notice my self when typing.

I think that i something is not working correctly and it can be "fixed" by using usb keyboard does not make the product less faulty.

I can live with the pixel problem, speaker problem and the ips glow but this keyboard thing is a no-go for me and i'll contact asus again with another ticket and try to get some help from them. So far my first experience ever with asus support is really bad.. i've received two short answers/questions. First was that can i send a picture of the stuck pixel (which i did) and then another person mailed me that try to restore the whole OS (which i stated in my mail that i've allready done). So Asus nordic support seems to suck bad.

Volador, the other thing to try, you may have already done it, is to disable the Internal Pointing Device from the BIOS, you can do that in the G750, not sure about the G751.

To get there, power off, then just after you press the power button to turn on immediately move to the F2 key (not Fn+F2) and tap on it 1/sec until you see the BIOS screen.

In mine it is in the Advanced Tab

Asus support is deep, you need to go through a couple of levels before you get a useful answer for problems like this. As stupid as it seems, they will require certain things done first, even though you say you already did them, before they will escalate - they get yelled at if they don't (or so I imagine from witnessing similar support from the other side), as if anyone gets through without having done the basics the escalation will get bounced back until they are done.

I have always gotten a complete final answer, it has taken up to 10 emails.

Keep going, and I hope the BIOS disable makes a difference - hunt around your BIOS for other things of interest - if you have the time, please post an image/photo of each screen so we can see what the new BIOS looks like.

Thanks Volador!

Volador
12-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Well i work in customer support too (with GPS-devices) and for me to fix my customers problems it takes about 1-2 mails. And i always read what my customer wrote before i answer them. From what i can tell from asus support answers they did not even read the mail carefully. A proper answer would be to address all of the issues that the customer has (not just one) and try to find a solution. If there is no solution to be found through e-mail/phone support then ask the item to be sent for maintenance. At least that's my opinion on the matter. Maybe asus support is made so that you have to send 10 mails and get frustrated to get to the deepest level to reach a person that cares about your problems.. i'd guess that many of the customers think that that's not worth it and return the item and buy something else.

Maybe you should go work for asus because you seem to care about peoples asus related problems and try to find answers? ;)
Thanks for the bios suggestion, ill try it when i get off from work.

Volador
12-14-2014, 08:13 AM
I've seen your name pop out in many of the threads so thank you for your work in helping people with their tech-problems. It would be fair for Asus to send you an G751 for free as a reward for your "service".

hmscott
12-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Well i work in customer support too (with GPS-devices) and for me to fix my customers problems it takes about 1-2 mails. And i always read what my customer wrote before i answer them. From what i can tell from asus support answers they did not even read the mail carefully. A proper answer would be to address all of the issues that the customer has (not just one) and try to find a solution. If there is no solution to be found through e-mail/phone support then ask the item to be sent for maintenance. At least that's my opinion on the matter. Maybe asus support is made so that you have to send 10 mails and get frustrated to get to the deepest level to reach a person that cares about your problems.. i'd guess that many of the customers think that that's not worth it and return the item and buy something else.

Maybe you should go work for asus because you seem to care about peoples asus related problems and try to find answers? ;)
Thanks for the bios suggestion, ill try it when i get off from work.

Volador, doing Customer Support sounds like your expertise, and Asus could certainly use it to improve the response turnaround at least :)

Let me know how the BIOS thing goes, so far noone else has posted that they have the same issue, so maybe it is just your unit? If there is a brick and mortar location with Asus G751's sitting out, maybe you can test them?

Volador
12-14-2014, 08:22 AM
I'll try the bios thingy when i get home. The local reseller here does not yet have any in stock and on display so i could go and test other one out. The reseller from which i bought this one has 0 stock and estimated arrival for the next ones is not known yet. I guess Finland is not a high priority for Asus ;). But ill definetly try that bios setting out and see it it helps, thanks.

hmscott
12-14-2014, 08:54 AM
I've seen your name pop out in many of the threads so thank you for your work in helping people with their tech-problems. It would be fair for Asus to send you an G751 for free as a reward for your "service".

Volador, it's better I stay unpaid and impartial, I know I don't always sound impartial, but I am. :)

Volador
12-19-2014, 07:19 PM
hmscott the typing problem seems to have vanished since i disabled internal pointing devices from bios. I've had the time to use this computer for about 5 hours this week and i've not noticed the computer not recognizing my typing/the key presses. All of the missed keys or typos i've noticed my self and have been faults from the user not from the machine/keyboard. I cant belive that the problem could be solved! Not that my Christmas holiday started (WOOT!I) i'll enable internal pointing devices back on and try if the problem resumes. If the problem comes back ill send my data to asus (perhaps Marshall).

Thanks for the tip hmscott!

BTW still have nothing from Asus support and i can confirm that nordic asus support sucks... earlier i contaced my reseller about the problem and asked if they could get in contact with asus because i get no answer. They send me an link to asus RMA (which states that you need an RMA number from asus support) and told me that they don't want anything to do with the issue and i have to contact asus.

First time ever i had to contact asus support and i seemed to get a bad experience. Good thing is that the major problem with this machine seems to be fixed. Speaker problem seems to be under investigation and the stuck pixel/bezel creaking are things i can live with.

BTW zero not registered keys on writing this post! YAY!

hmscott
12-19-2014, 07:49 PM
hmscott the typing problem seems to have vanished since i disabled internal pointing devices from bios. I've had the time to use this computer for about 5 hours this week and i've not noticed the computer not recognizing my typing/the key presses. All of the missed keys or typos i've noticed my self and have been faults from the user not from the machine/keyboard. I cant belive that the problem could be solved! Not that my Christmas holiday started (WOOT!I) i'll enable internal pointing devices back on and try if the problem resumes. If the problem comes back ill send my data to asus (perhaps Marshall).

Thanks for the tip hmscott!

BTW still have nothing from Asus support and i can confirm that nordic asus support sucks... earlier i contaced my reseller about the problem and asked if they could get in contact with asus because i get no answer. They send me an link to asus RMA (which states that you need an RMA number from asus support) and told me that they don't want anything to do with the issue and i have to contact asus.

First time ever i had to contact asus support and i seemed to get a bad experience. Good thing is that the major problem with this machine seems to be fixed. Speaker problem seems to be under investigation and the stuck pixel/bezel creaking are things i can live with.

BTW zero not registered keys on writing this post! YAY!

Volador, awesome :)

You must type very fast, it usually is fixed by doing the mouse disable in Asus SmartGesture, only a few times has it required disabling in the BIOS.

Did you go to the main Asus support page to file your question/complaint? Or did you go to a specifically local Nordic page/phone contact?

Here is the general main site:
https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register laptop, file Technical Inquiry for support. State issue in plain detail, attache images/photo's as zip file to Technical Inquiry.

Happy Holidays :)

Volador
12-19-2014, 09:00 PM
I made the inquiry from the finnish asus site. The guys that answered me were swedish (or so i assume because some of the terms and words were in swedish too).

Main thing is that now the keyboard seems to work! And yes i type 103 words per minute (548 keypresses per minute). I guess its fast.

Grantman
02-23-2015, 04:25 AM
I knew there was something up with my keyboard. Inexplicably I had the same problem where the odd keystroke would not register. I tried the usual disabling of the touchpad using the function keys and 'disabling the touchpad when mouse in use' option in the asus gestures program on the taskbar. Still had the odd keystroke fail.

Have gone and disabled the touchpad in bios and so far so good. The laptop incidentally rebooted into an error message which caused an auto reboot with no screen turned on. Had to use keyboard shortcuts to force another reboot which was successful.

Grantman
02-26-2015, 07:30 AM
Can confirm that the problem is now fixed with the bios disable. I am not a massively fast typist, but would do over 30 words a minute. Inconvenient not having the touchpad available for use however.

Volador
02-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Grantman nice to hear that your problem was also solved by the bios disable. Would it be possible that asus would fix this or could this be a non fixable issue who knows? I dont see it as a problem for my self because i dont even use the touchpad mouse in any situation.

pjgomersall
05-01-2015, 06:42 PM

You said you disabled it right away when u got the compiter. However he told tou ro use the asus smart gesture. This is not what you said you used. If you havent already found a fix try disabling this. It may be something with that software that can over ride other programs. Sorry if this is late there are several pages her and i dont have time to read them all. But this could be soemthing to try.

pjgomersall
05-01-2015, 06:44 PM
You said you disabled it right away when u got the compiter. However he told tou ro use the asus smart gesture. This is not what you said you used. If you havent already found a fix try disabling this. It may be something with that software that can over ride other programs. Sorry if this is late there are several pages her and i dont have time to read them all. But this could be soemthing to try.

Wow ok i should hace skipped to the final page. You solved the issue already sorry.

somecallhimtim
05-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Great info... also- try downloading and installing the ASUS G751JY (or JT) Keyboard Filter driver... that SEEMS to have cured the same issue with keyboard delay or miss of stroke that I had. I say this because I tried no other fixes before I tried that! Hope it helps :) If not, one more thing to add to the list of "try this's." Good luck Volador.

hmscott
05-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Great info... also- try downloading and installing the ASUS G751JY (or JT) Keyboard Filter driver... that SEEMS to have cured the same issue with keyboard delay or miss of stroke that I had. I say this because I tried no other fixes before I tried that! Hope it helps :) If not, one more thing to add to the list of "try this's." Good luck Volador.

somecallhimtim, haven't thought about that driver for a long time, it should come installed on the laptop with the Asus Windows build, but if you did a from scratch Windows install from Microsoft media, you would be missing it. :)

I looked for myself, and there doesn't seem to be a way to easily tell that the keyboard filter driver is installed, so I ran the installer, asked for a reboot, and I still can't see an entry for it in the Programs and Features control panel, so it would be easy to miss if you didn't know it was supposed to be there.

KBFilter driver
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=KBFilter&hashedid=n%2fa

The central location has the same 1.0.0.5 version, not updated since 2013...