PDA

View Full Version : g751jt backlight bleed?

romantico3pe
12-06-2014, 10:17 AM
I just got this laptop and noticed the design is really really nice, but I didn't have much time to test it, because as soon as I turned it on, I noticed this terrible backlight bleed on the screen, I packed it back and is ready to be return, I am still undecided if I should get another one, I am afraid to get another lemon. For others that have this laptop, Do you have the same backlight bleed on your screen? specially when displaying black images or am I the only one? any ways I am disappointed with asus, for this price this laptop should be perfect.

Richdog
12-06-2014, 10:58 AM
That is a panel fault. Return it for another one.

romantico3pe
12-09-2014, 05:35 AM
replacement coming tomorrow ill update, hopefully I wont have any problems with this unit

Richdog
12-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Will be interested to see how your new one behaves. I am stil lundecided whether my black levels and IPS glow represent a normal situaton, or if I should return for a replacement panel. if it is normal, then while it has amazing brightness and colours... good god, the blacks are absolutely awful and pretty much ruin any game with lots of dark scenes unless you have the gamma turned way up.

romantico3pe
12-09-2014, 07:45 AM
well currently I have a asus g73sw and the screen while no ips always had a glow that you can see while looking in an angle but was uniform, but on the first g751jt the ips screen just looked really really terrible as you can see in the picture it looked more than bleeding than glow specially in the bottom. hopefully yours isn't like mine

romantico3pe
12-10-2014, 12:08 AM
well I received replacement laptop, and it only had a slight bleed on the right side of the screen which didn't really bother, I was installing my programs when I noticed this ghosting, image retention on the top left of my screen, is really bad, after 20 seconds any image stays there for couple minutes and it clears by itself, but this is really annoying. Are you guys have the same ghosting, image retention on your laptops or did I get another lemon?? should I give up on this laptop??

ROGscholar
12-10-2014, 03:31 AM
how long did you perfoem the ghosting test? I used a black white chessboard picture, and let it be there for 5minutes. didnt notice any ghosting.

romantico3pe
12-10-2014, 05:46 AM
how long did you perfoem the ghosting test? I used a black white chessboard picture, and let it be there for 5minutes. didnt notice any ghosting.

I did the ghosting test for 2 minutes with the same result, this is the picture with the proof, anyways I think I will just get my money back, I am tired of the returning game, I will wait a couple weeks before I get a new one, probably by then, asus will have all these screen issues sorted out.

Volador
12-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Romantico can you post a similar picture like the first one from your new laptop screen?

romantico3pe
12-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Romantico can you post a similar picture like the first one from your new laptop screen?

I will as soon as i get home

Volador
12-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Okay thanks romantico i really appreciate it. My screen has 0 ghosting, or atleast im not registering any. Its really intresting to see how your new computer screen is. DId you also have the same problem that you had this blue hue on the edges that makes all of the dark scenes in games look not black but bluish-black?

romantico3pe
12-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Okay thanks romantico i really appreciate it. My screen has 0 ghosting, or atleast im not registering any. Its really intresting to see how your new computer screen is. DId you also have the same problem that you had this blue hue on the edges that makes all of the dark scenes in games look not black but bluish-black?

The first one had blue huge bleeding, the second one no bleeding no blue huge just a little glow but that was acceptable i guess

Volador
12-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Okay, well ill wait for your photo of the new computer screen. See if im going to contact the reseller and try to work this thing through there. Asus support seems to be pretty dissapointing currently because it takes so long for them to respond and they dont even seem to read the whole message i send them. Thanks for your info romantico, its really helping me to decide if im just going to "swallow it" and be satisfied on this or shall i try to RMA the whole thing.

bookedirl
12-10-2014, 07:46 PM
I wonder if they should merge this thread with G751 bad "IPS glow" from screen... anyone else noticed it? (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53956-G751-bad-quot-IPS-glow-quot-from-screen-anyone-else-noticed-it)

They are both similar issues.

romantico3pe
12-11-2014, 05:33 AM
Okay, well ill wait for your photo of the new computer screen. See if im going to contact the reseller and try to work this thing through there. Asus support seems to be pretty dissapointing currently because it takes so long for them to respond and they dont even seem to read the whole message i send them. Thanks for your info romantico, its really helping me to decide if im just going to "swallow it" and be satisfied on this or shall i try to RMA the whole thing.

here you go

Volador
12-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks, ill check my screen and try to take a photo from the same angle. You seem to have the same blue hue as i do. Back light seems really even.

d0r1n
12-11-2014, 01:35 PM
all the g751jy have bleed...i changed 4 laptops in 2 weeks and all have the 3 problems:bleed,usb left power intreruption and lef speakers sound.

i gave up changing them and keep the last one,all are defective...

hmscott
12-11-2014, 04:47 PM
all the g751jy have bleed...i changed 4 laptops in 2 weeks and all have the 3 problems:bleed,usb left power intreruption and lef speakers sound.

d0r1n, the USB / Sound issue will be consistent between all G751, but the back-light bleed might be different between manufacturing runs of the G751, next time try returning to the vendor and get one somewhere else. Picking stock from the same seller will likely be all from the same manufacturing run.

romantico3pe
12-11-2014, 04:48 PM

Thats the reason i hate ips panels, it would like to know if asus will ever release a new laptop with tn panel and a 970 card. I hope it does

hmscott
12-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Thats the reason i hate ips panels, it would like to know if asus will ever release a new laptop with tn panel and a 970 card. I hope it does

romantico3pe, there were far more display complaints when Asus used the TN panels, like on the G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ. I have a TN panel and I like it, but lots of other people didn't, that is why Asus moved to the IPS Panel. And, comments from Asus people say they are sticking with the change.

romantico3pe
12-11-2014, 05:02 PM
romantico3pe, there were far more display complaints when Asus used the TN panels, like on the G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ. I have a TN panel and I like it, but lots of other people didn't, that is why Asus moved to the IPS Panel. And, comments from Asus people say they are sticking with the change.

Well i also love my tn panel on my g73 lol, I never experienced any bleed with it. but all i want now is to get a 751 without any screen bleed or any other problem. I already returned 2, and i m not sure if a third one wont have any proble. I would buy the 750 but it has optimus and the bsod bug. So now dont know what to do

Volador
12-11-2014, 05:11 PM

Here are a couple of pictures of mine. In the two pictures the windows bar is visible and could be making some of the glow. In one fo the picture (With blurry ROG logo) i tried to snap the picture while the computer was booting so there would not be anything on the screen. But this damn M.2 SSD is so fast ;)

hmscott
12-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Well i also love my tn panel on my g73 lol, I never experienced any bleed with it. but all i want now is to get a 751 without any screen bleed or any other problem. I already returned 2, and i m not sure if a third one wont have any proble. I would buy the 750 but it has optimus and the bsod bug. So now dont know what to do

romantico3pe, the G750JH using Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards brings the performance of the 780m to the same as the 880m, they are the same chip afteraall, and the G750JH has the TN panel and doesn't have Optimus :)

If you want to swap again, I would return to the seller, and buy the same model from another seller. It seems with displays you get the same quality throughout a production run, maybe getting it from another build batch from another seller might be a better chance of getting one without bad bleed? You could also discuss this with the seller, and ask to return it but delay getting another one until they get a fresh shipment from Asus.

hmscott
12-11-2014, 05:22 PM
...Here are a couple of pictures of mine. In the two pictures the windows bar is visible and could be making some of the glow. In one fo the picture (With blurry ROG logo) i tried to snap the picture while the computer was booting so there would not be anything on the screen. But this damn M.2 SSD is so fast ;)

Volador, the overall brightness is the same on my other IPS screens. It doesn't look like you have the distracting defect from pinched areas - extra bright halo's around a bright spot on the edge, so your panel looks good :)

On my other IPS displays I take the brightness down a click or two from 100%, there is usually a sweet spot just below 100% where the glow is reduced greatly without losing much detail in the dark areas. That gets rid of most of the IPS glow for me.

rmuniak
12-11-2014, 05:32 PM

Mine has very little light bleed - are you sure you're not mistaking ips glow (inherent to technology) with light bleed? I have other issue: green vertical tint on far left and some blue-ish on far right, although they are only visible with mostly solid background - i was doing research on the net and noted that a lot IPS LG panels have the same issue (tintingfrom green to blue as going through the screen). looks like typical lottery - one gets with some light bleed, one with tints, others with dead pixels and some combinations of those.

I would actually pay extra just to get proper screen without any faults - ASUS employees, take notes and get us better quality and more expensive display panels!

romantico3pe
12-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Mine has very little light bleed - are you sure you're not mistaking ips glow (inherent to technology) with light bleed? I have other issue: green vertical tint on far left and some blue-ish on far right, although they are only visible with mostly solid background - i was doing research on the net and noted that a lot IPS LG panels have the same issue (tintingfrom green to blue as going through the screen). looks like typical lottery - one gets with some light bleed, one with tints, others with dead pixels and some combinations of those.

I would actually pay extra just to get proper screen without any faults - ASUS employees, take notes and get us better quality and more expensive display panels!

Exactly i will happily pay more for a perfect display but they dont give us that option, any ways i would try what hmscott said i will buy this time from newegg instead of frys, the only downside is they charge restocking fees for returns

hmscott
12-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Exactly i will happily pay more for a perfect display but they dont give us that option, any ways i would try what hmscott said i will buy this time from newegg instead of frys, the only downside is they charge restocking fees for returns

romantico3pe, I would stick with Fry's, it is easier to work with a local seller than over mail order.

Fry's moves a lot of product, so simply returning and waiting for a new shipment would likely work just as well. Talk with the floor manager for the computer department, and explain the situation, he might even be able to sign your receipt to allow you to keep it longer than 14 days with the right to return it for full credit to swap when a new shipment comes in. I have done this at Fry's before.

These are very new laptops, do the floor display model isn't very old, and if it doesn't show the bleeding issue, you can ask them to swap that particular one for yours - that way you don't have to get another sealed box surprise - you can see it before you buy it.

If you do get a sealed box from Fry's you can open it in the Service department before you leave to check the bleed. That way you can return it on the spot and try again. You will need to go through the purchase process, but at least you don't need to drive home and back again.

Good luck!

d0r1n
12-11-2014, 06:46 PM
scott if i understanded right from people in service is that the glow/bleed will not make problems,that is just a glow on diferent colors and it stays like that,not damaging the laptop.

is that right?....say yes because i would like to keep the 4th one :)))

hmscott
12-11-2014, 07:12 PM
scott if i understanded right from people in service is that the glow/bleed will not make problems,that is just a glow on diferent colors and it stays like that,not damaging the laptop.
is that right?....say yes because i would like to keep the 4th one :)))

d0r1n, the characteristic overall glow from the IPS display is normal. I don't notice specific colors make the glow more or less, but brightness of the scene can show the issue more - darker scenes allow the glow to be come visible - like the black of outer space shows the glow, but a brightly lit outdoor scene doesn't show any glow.

There is no damage to the laptop associated with the glow.

Your screen should have a smooth over all brightness like Volador's post above:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54444-g751jt-backlight-bleed&p=456638&viewfull=1#post456638

Or like romantico3pe's post of his new screen here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54444-g751jt-backlight-bleed&p=456512&viewfull=1#post456512

The pinched look looks like this in romantico3pe's first post:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54444-g751jt-backlight-bleed&p=455109&viewfull=1#post455109

If you have smooth over all brightness on a black screen your screen is as good as it gets

Try turning down the brightness a bit to reduce the glow, but don't decrease the brightness too far or you will lose detail in dark scenes.

You could take a photo of the screen on black screen like the others, and post it here.

After swapping out 3x, on your 4th laptop, I would want to keep it too :)

romantico3pe
12-11-2014, 09:23 PM
romantico3pe, I would stick with Fry's, it is easier to work with a local seller than over mail order.

Fry's moves a lot of product, so simply returning and waiting for a new shipment would likely work just as well. Talk with the floor manager for the computer department, and explain the situation, he might even be able to sign your receipt to allow you to keep it longer than 14 days with the right to return it for full credit to swap when a new shipment comes in. I have done this at Fry's before.

These are very new laptops, do the floor display model isn't very old, and if it doesn't show the bleeding issue, you can ask them to swap that particular one for yours - that way you don't have to get another sealed box surprise - you can see it before you buy it.

If you do get a sealed box from Fry's you can open it in the Service department before you leave to check the bleed. That way you can return it on the spot and try again. You will need to go through the purchase process, but at least you don't need to drive home and back again.

Good luck!

Well i just came back from frys store because i was told they got new stock, anyways i got the third one and again just like the first one. Light bleed from the bottom of the screen, at this point i dont know what to do should i just give up??? Officially i hate IPS screens, in the past i never had any problem with tn screens, man i hate my bad luck

d0r1n
12-11-2014, 10:21 PM
all looked 90% the same(the picture is taken in tottaly dark room)http://s28.postimg.org/sh35ta6m1/CAM00067.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/sh35ta6m1/)

it is only visible only to the laptops starts

hmscott
12-11-2014, 10:28 PM
all looked 90% the same

it is only visible only to the laptops starts

d0r1n, the photo's are different in brightness due to the Windows logo in the middle of the screen. The 4th one looks like it has the same patterns of light/dark but at a lower intensity due to the lack of the logo being on the screen. Perhaps you can try to generate a similar image that exacerbates the lighting to show the underlying pattern.

If it only shows up on startup, then that is a different video scaling effect altogether. If you don't see it when watching video's with black bars on top/bottom, then I wouldn't worry about it.

bookedirl
12-11-2014, 10:32 PM
4th Laptop replacement.. just received from Amazon. I'm done. It's going back and I'll be waiting for ASUS to address this issue. Smh.....

hmscott
12-11-2014, 10:37 PM
4th Laptop replacement.. just received from Amazon. I'm done. It's going back and I'll be waiting for ASUS to address this issue. Smh.....

bookedirl, you might want to try looking at it with full desktop in Windows, set the desktop background to black like romantico3pe and Volador did for their photo's. The Windows startup screens are at a different video mode, and it might look better at normal screen resolution.

What does it look like when you are watching a movie / video with black bars top and bottom?

romantico3pe
12-11-2014, 10:54 PM

The bleed is in the same bottom left of the screen like the pictures i posted, so looks like a bad batch came out of the factory, too bad for asus, they wont have our money

cykelman
12-11-2014, 10:58 PM

Is this backlight bleed, and if so would you consider it exessive?

romantico3pe
12-11-2014, 11:08 PM

Is this backlight bleed, and if so would you consider it exessive?

It doesnt look that bad like on mine or bookedirl's, i would say if it doesnt bother you, keep it.

d0r1n
12-12-2014, 08:15 PM
i have the same bleed and it is only seen when i start the windows,but nothing else after(i watch movies,play games,etc and i see no bleed)
it's a IPS problem like scott said,and it dows nothing wrong if u used like this,it's your decision

romantico3pe
12-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Just to update the thread. Well i went to a different frys and a very nice salesperson opened 3 more G751s in store and again all of them had light bleed some more the others, I decided no to buy any. it is too much money already so i expect something perfect. I would happily pay more money if they get me a laptop without any light bleed or any defect

clane
12-17-2014, 09:22 AM
I just got my G751JT yesterday and i also have some backlight bleed in the upper screen.
A good tool to test the screen is the Eizo Screen test (download here: http://www.eizo.de/support/monitortest.html) Tool is in english.
There is also a test-screen included that is totally black, perfect for spotting the light bleed.

Now i have to decide if i sent it back for another G751 (which could have even more bleeding) or keep it. :)
Ill post a picture this evening.

Volador
12-17-2014, 11:18 AM
When you take those light bleed pictures look through the camera finder and look with naked eye. Is the bleed different? I noticed when i took the pictures that in the picture the bleed always looks worse compared to naked eye. So taking photos is not the complete truth. I have little bleed on the top of the screen and some on lower left- and right corners. My problems seems to be the IPS glow, but its a tech problem and i guess it cannot be fixed.

romantico3pe
12-22-2014, 12:51 AM
Yeah in picture looks worst but it is still there.

Evil Hotdog
01-20-2015, 06:36 PM
HI, just wanted to tell that no screen from this line will be perfect (got 751JY). I just got my third replacement, the first one had bleed and some vent problems, the second one had it (there was also hair under the screen there...seriously? hair? you got to be kidding me Asus) and this one has it too plus some minor image retenion in the left down corner. I give up returning them and just live with it and maybe someday replace the screen somewhere else. The laptop is awesome but i guess they had to take a cheap screen to lower the costs.

BLoOdRAiN
01-21-2015, 09:26 AM
here is a few pic's of mine not sure if its good don't no much about ips its a G751JT 45727457284572945730

joro_abv
01-21-2015, 09:38 AM
At what screen brightness you took those ?

BLoOdRAiN
01-21-2015, 09:51 AM
on the adjust plan brightness setting is about 50% anything pass that is to bright for me

joro_abv
01-21-2015, 10:58 AM
ok, thx. Can you just make a shot on 100%, to make fair comparison, since most of the shots here are at 100%, I believe.

BLoOdRAiN
01-21-2015, 12:00 PM
here is at 100% brightness in person I don't have that much blue at all in these pic's 457374573845736

Evil Hotdog
01-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Here are some pics of my first 751JY and the third replacement, both taken with iso set on 100 so it doesnt represent what i really see, but it gives an idea. Its mostly only noticable in a dark room, so it doesnt really bother me, but in some scenes of a movie or game I can notice it.

Asus said they were gonna check the laptopscreen for irregularities before sending it (talking about the third replacement which took over a month to get), I think its safe to say Asus product control is non existent. On top of the bleed i got some image retenion as well on the bottom left, its not that noticable but I am worried it will spread or become more visible, anyone knows if that might happen?

I'm not gonna bother sending it back to Asus for RMA, if I want a new screen I'll go to a local computerstore, or are we stuck with a specific panel for this laptop that will always have these problems?

iconic
01-23-2015, 07:42 PM
here is at 100% brightness in person I don't have that much blue at all in these pic's

Where'd you purchase yours from?

Portugieser
03-06-2015, 11:14 AM
HI, just wanted to tell that no screen from this line will be perfect (got 751JY). I just got my third replacement, the first one had bleed and some vent problems, the second one had it (there was also hair under the screen there...seriously? hair? you got to be kidding me Asus) and this one has it too plus some minor image retenion in the left down corner. I give up returning them and just live with it and maybe someday replace the screen somewhere else. The laptop is awesome but i guess they had to take a cheap screen to lower the costs.

This is very much true. You will not find a perfect screen. I currently have my 7th one. All of them bleed on different spots, strength etc .... I decided to keep the last one, which is not that bad. ASUS is now using LG's IPS panels and after browsing the net a bit, it seems to be a common issue with most notebooks on IPS panels. It is pure luck, nothing else.

Just to "cheer" you up a bit, check the latest Alienware review here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-15-Notebook-Review.136667.0.html and scroll down to "Touchpad" section and zoom out the "Keyboard" picture. Well, that sucks big time either ... and thats a Samsung Panel. Would you pay 2K+ EUR for that? :) Image that when playing dark coloured games or just wathcing a movie with black stripes ... Well, thank you, but no thank you!

I understand that technology has its limitations, but simply cannot believe that this could not be solved with better producing / QA standards. Costs more? I dont care and happy to pay and extra 10-15% for a gamer notebook, but thats not an option right now it seems ... pity.

Evil Hotdog
03-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Damn that alienware screen, I was considering changing this laptop for the new alienware, glad I didn't do it.

I had my third replacement sent in for RMA, just to try all options,
still got a screen with bleeding, but this is the better screen so far.
I told Asus customer support there still was bleeding on the replaced panel and showed them some pictures,
they told me they understood my frustration with this, but the bleeding was within their specifications, whatever that may be.

They better fix this problem in the future (not only Asus, in general), I don't care if it's new technology, we should't have to put up with this,
if they start making a habbit out of this, who knows what may happen to other hardware.

streak91
06-30-2015, 05:24 AM
Unfortunately, my first post on this forum is about backlight bleed on my one day old GL552JX. I have read about the issues other people had with their GL750, GL751 and other high end models. And this problem persists in the whole series I guess. I am putting a request for replacement today. I will update as soon as I get the replacement.

James Haskew
07-10-2015, 09:00 PM
I also have a dirty yellow halo in the left corner which I can see over The Witcher 3 when I'm playing. I'm RMAing it and was wondering if you could tell me if you had any success in getting a flawless panel? I really like the laptop but not when the screen is leaking yellow light all over it. Also, how long did it take to get it fixed?

TriSarme
12-03-2015, 10:25 PM
How much bleeding should I settle for? Mine has a blueish-yellowish bleeding. It's yellow on top left, and on bottom left and right it's small blueish in the corners and some yellow bleeding. I tried taking pics, but they don't represent it correctly, it looks much worse on the pics.

The problem is also that it looks worse from different angles, let's say if I am in the lying position, it's really noticeable.

The above was for full black background, it doesn't look so bad when I watch movies with black bars, but I do still notice the blueish bleed. Send it back or live with it?

Not to mention the fact that the back top part has spots that look like greasy spots, and I have no idea why they're there.

PraviN1895
01-08-2016, 05:19 PM
I've been using asus gl552jx for the past 3 months and had the same backlight bleed issue. I just called up the customer care and placed an on-site service for my screen. The concerned service man came to my house and replaced the faulty screen with a newly ordered ips screen. Almost 99% there is no backlight bleed, though a small fraction of the light is still bleeding which is almost negligible.

I would suggest those with the above problem to report to customer care and get a screen replacement