PDA

View Full Version : ROG G20 Overhaul

Pages : [1] 2

Urzu_7
12-06-2014, 09:45 PM
So I just got a G20 and I decided to replace the stock 760 with a 980, add an SSD and upgrade the HDD. The GPU was tricky but I managed however, 43904it looks like adding the SSD and replacing the HDD is near impossible. And tips?

toronto699
12-07-2014, 12:36 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54394-ROG-G20AJ-Graphics-woes-(
u 2 should talk to each other as u booth need advice from each other

stevox85
12-07-2014, 01:54 AM
This just made my day! Which 980 did you put in it? There are many different variants to choose from.
My g20 only came with a single power brick so I need to try to find where to get the second one/double brick unit.
Did you need any other cables other than whats in the unit itself or that came with the card?
Finally did everything function when you put it back together?
Asus dont want us to upgrade with their hardware hence the repeated same answers of warranty being void etc. which is fair enough but I'm determined to upgrade my g20 :)

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 02:22 AM
The only 980 that this will support it a reference design since it's max power draw is 170ish watts, my 980 is from nvidia, I'll post a pic tomorrow.
As far as the power supply goes, mine came with a second since I got the model with a GTX 760. I'm guessing you could just buy one and connect it as long as the polarity is the same as well as the power rating. Here is a pic of the power supply for the GPU 43909

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Also I just realized when I took the pic that the GPUs power supply supports up to 230 watts so as long as the GPUs max power draw does not exceed PSUs rating and it fits in its slot, your golden. Here is a pic of the GPU slot. 43919

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 02:55 AM
As far as the cables go there was a 8/6 pin in the chassis and in the box there was another 6 pin, so at the most the G20 supports one 8 pin and one 6 pin or two 6 pin connectors for the GPU

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 03:15 AM
The parts are upgradable. Not impossible, just a real pain in the a**.

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 03:58 AM
Progress so far...43914
Heck well if I'm this far in I might as well add some RAM lol
So I was looking at removing the back panels of the chassis at first to provide easy acess to where the SSD should go but after tinkering around with it I decided to just go the long way and remove the DVD drive and CPU heat sink. It doesn't look like anyone else has done option A and I didn't want to risk damaging the cases precious looking plastic.

stevox85
12-07-2014, 04:07 AM
This is great info for me! I'll start looking for somewhere that will sell me that PSU, the gpu slot pics won't work for some reason?
Do you think the 980 will be able to cool ok with the tight space in the g20 chassis?

stevox85
12-07-2014, 04:16 AM
That PSU has a femal plug on the end of it right?

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 04:39 AM
Ok! So I danced with death a little bit and managed to get the SSD in!!!! Hallelujah sweet baby Jesus! I feel great because I didn't have to remove the CPU heat sink.
I did it by removing a metal plate held on by two screws 43920 and I oh so slightly bent the red plastic as I inserted the SSD from the inside, ( NOT thru the front ). It only worked after I removed two screws holding the DVD case and slid that back about 1/4 of an inch and squeezed it in, it was tight, the sides of the SSD got a little scraped up and I'm probably not gonna get it out but it's in lol. 43921

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 04:46 AM
This is great info for me! I'll start looking for somewhere that will sell me that PSU, the gpu slot pics won't work for some reason?
Do you think the 980 will be able to cool ok with the tight space in the g20 chassis?

Here is another pic 43922 43923
That black plastic brace in the back of the GPU can be slid back to accommodate something larger.

As far as temps go the case had no problem keeping the 760 Cool even after a mean OC so a stock 980 should have no problem with temps. However, I wouldn't OC 980.

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 04:49 AM
That PSU has a femal plug on the end of it right?

Yes the PSU for the GPU has a female plug

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 05:21 AM
Fixed the issue with the pictures, they should all be viewable now.

abvolt
12-07-2014, 06:28 AM
looks fun awesome project good luck dude..

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Well I think I found what's securing the HDD but I'm gonna call it a night, tomorrow I'll get some tools I think I need and I'll finish it. Once the new HDD is in the GTX 980 should be a piece of cake.
I'll keep everyone here updated.

stevox85
12-07-2014, 08:05 AM
I've been looking for the power adapter online and unfortunately have not had much luck, I'm going to go into a local electronics store and see what they can come up with.
would you be able to provide a link to where you purchased the gtx980 you will be using?
I think ill let my HDD and other components as is, just need to boost those graphics! :D

stevox85
12-07-2014, 09:44 AM
I reckon ive found it on E-bay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Delta-230W-AC-Adapter-ASUS-ROG-G750JZ-17FH-ADP-230EB-T-Gaming-Laptop-/201223314060?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item2ed9d81a8c

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 06:36 PM
I reckon ive found it on E-bay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Delta-230W-AC-Adapter-ASUS-ROG-G750JZ-17FH-ADP-230EB-T-Gaming-Laptop-/201223314060?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item2ed9d81a8c

Yeah! That's the one:)

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 06:41 PM
So I have a huge edit to the SSD side of this overhaul. I realized this morning that the little metal plate that I was pointing to in the picture was actually upside down but when I tried flipping it over I realize that there was no way I could get it to fit. So this is where I'm at now I had to take the SSD back out, remove the CPU heatsink as originally planned which allowed me to access the DVD drive tray and after removing the tray I was able to slide in the SSD easily.43968

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 07:46 PM
So I decided to hold off on the HDD because it looks like the only way to get to it would be to remove the motherboard, unscrew the back panel and attack it from underneath. I wish I had more time and well my weekends is almost up. Also I have some bad news, my local B.B. Ran out of 980s so I'm putting in a spare 680 I had for now. Still better than the stock GPU and I want to see how the temps are.43969

Urzu_7
12-07-2014, 08:44 PM
:') everything's back together, so beautiful... 43973

Urzu_7
12-08-2014, 06:21 AM
An update to those worried about CPU temps after throwing in something like the 680. To start I did a small overclock on the GPU (+55) and ran the GPU at max with CPU benchmarking software, CPU Avg was 68C.

stevox85
12-08-2014, 06:31 AM
Awesome work mate!
I ordered a GTX780 should arrive in a day or 2, got a standard galaxy one, I was worried some of the super clocked ones and the ones with all the extra fans and styling covers wouldnt fit, I'll see how I go with it.
The PSU should be shipped any time now, coming to Australia from Hong kong, so there might be a bit of a wait :(
I decided on the 780 because the 980 is very expensive and I couldnt justify spending that kind of money right now.
Keep us posted on your rig, would love to know how you go if you decide to put the 980 in it!!!

Urzu_7
12-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Awesome work mate!
I ordered a GTX780 should arrive in a day or 2, got a standard galaxy one, I was worried some of the super clocked ones and the ones with all the extra fans and styling covers wouldnt fit, I'll see how I go with it.
The PSU should be shipped any time now, coming to Australia from Hong kong, so there might be a bit of a wait :(
I decided on the 780 because the 980 is very expensive and I couldnt justify spending that kind of money right now.
Keep us posted on your rig, would love to know how you go if you decide to put the 980 in it!!!

I think the 780 is Slightly bigger than my 680, just want to give you heads up when you put the card in it's really tight but it will fit just be careful not to damage the PCI E riser card.

stevox85
12-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Looking forward to my gear getting here, I think ill do a dummy run with the card this weekend while I wait for the PSU, how is your system performing after the upgrade?

Urzu_7
12-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Looking forward to my gear getting here, I think ill do a dummy run with the card this weekend while I wait for the PSU, how is your system performing after the upgrade?

My G 20 is performing great, when I put in the SSD I also replaced the stock thermal paste so now my CPU temps are a just a few degrees lower than they were stock even with the 680 at 1098 MHz. I think that's just from how great the airflow was designed around this case. I've been doing heavy gaming at ultra settings and not once have the fans spooled up to where I've noticed them.

Hey I meant to ask you, did yours come with an extra six pin connector in the box just like mine?

stevox85
12-10-2014, 07:06 AM
I'm sure mine came with 2 six pin connectors.
I ordered the GTX780, on the website the specs say it can take this card, some reviews also have it in them but a company in the US told me that the 780 draws too much power.
I find this hard to believe when the 780 is listed on Asus's website, I'm gonna try anyway and if there are any issues ill get a gtx970 instead.
The way I see it is that at the moment the gtx745 in mine is a 50 watt card and it draws power from the single PSU that I got, if I put in the 780 that draws a smidge more than the GPU PSU can give me then there's still 50watts left over from taking out the 745.
So hopefully the extra few watts will be drawn from the primary PSU? :D
Exciting times haha!

stevox85
12-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Actually I got a 6 pin, red/wine colored and an 8 pin, black.

hori
12-10-2014, 03:39 PM
thanks for all photos, keep em coming

beachnerds
12-12-2014, 05:18 AM
So I just bought the model from BB that came with the GTX 750. It came with one power supply. Does anyone know if you can buy the additional one that would be needed to upgrade the GPU? I can't find anything online with it.

stevox85
12-12-2014, 07:12 AM
I asked many people from Asus and no-one could give me a good answer except for ask your local retailer.
I ordered mine from E-Bay, I'm still not sure if this is the one or not but ill find out when it comes, the female connecter from the psu to the pc was the hardest to find.
Delta electronics make them, there is a picture in this thread i'm sure.

I'm nearly positive that this is the connector "Connecter size: 7.4mm ×5.0mm, with central pin inside"
Connecter size: 7.4mm ×5.0mm, with central pin inside

Mine is on the way from Shanghai, there was no option for faster shipping, just standard express, I live in Australia, it might come fost or it might not, said express so hopefully sooner than later!

I'm not 100% sure if I need to do any more than just plug the extra psu in and swap the gpu or if I have to route power from the new PSU's port.

I'm staying positive and will defo post here when I find out, so watch this space.

I ordered the GTX780 but found out that the power draw may be too much so returned it and am waiting on a GTX970, the GTX980 was a little outside my budget for now.

stevox85
12-12-2014, 07:14 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Delta-230W-AC-Adapter-for-ASUS-ROG-G750JZ-17FH-ADP-230EB-T-Gaming-Laptop-/201223314060?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120

The page I got it from after lots of searching

toronto699
12-13-2014, 03:45 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54708-Asus-G20-tried-upgrade
this G20 owner needs help

Urzu_7
12-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Ok! To help future GPU Upgraders I making this post to make it clear that the GPU power supply that comes with the G 20 or that can be ordered online using the links that are found in this thread supports up to 230 W. That is enough for a reference GTX 770 and more than enough for a reference GTX 980. Also, some of the websites to have done reviews on the G 20 are incorrect in stating that the power supply for the GPU is only 180 W . Once again I have tested it and so for clarification the GPU power supply is 230 W. If your G 20 has two power supplies note that the 180 W power supply that you will also receive is for the rest of the computer, not the GPU.

Urzu_7
12-13-2014, 11:52 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Delta-230W-AC-Adapter-for-ASUS-ROG-G750JZ-17FH-ADP-230EB-T-Gaming-Laptop-/201223314060?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120

The page I got it from after lots of searching

Also you're the man for finding this link!
Please let us know if it works.

stevox85
12-14-2014, 07:28 AM
A company that modifies the G20 told me that they took the 780 off their page because it draws too much power, I have a GTX780 in its box on my kitchen table ready to be returned and have ordered a GTX970 super clocked version instead.
Is the GTX970 better than the GTX780 by the way?
I was paranoid before I talked with that company about the 780 drawing too many watts and then killing the GPU PSU so decided to play it safe and get the 970 instead.
That link was a ***** to find by the way, it's in Melbourne now so just need to wait till it arrives here in Adelaide, fingers crossed the connector is correct!!

Urzu_7
12-14-2014, 06:27 PM
A company that modifies the G20 told me that they took the 780 off their page because it draws too much power, I have a GTX780 in its box on my kitchen table ready to be returned and have ordered a GTX970 super clocked version instead.
Is the GTX970 better than the GTX780 by the way?
I was paranoid before I talked with that company about the 780 drawing too many watts and then killing the GPU PSU so decided to play it safe and get the 970 instead.

That link was a ***** to find by the way, it's in Melbourne now so just need to wait till it arrives here in Adelaide, fingers crossed the connector is correct!!

I'm sorry, your completely right, the GTX 780 is too much for the supplied PSU. I looked up the specifications and on Nvidias website it stated the max power draw being 250 W. So 20 W over the PSU.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780/specifications

Also here is a link that you can use you compare the performance difference between GPUs.

http://international.download.nvidia.com/webassets/en_US/shared/images/products/shared/lineup-full.png

Also, be careful with those Super Clocked versions and make sure that the max power draw on it does not exceed 230 W

stevox85
12-16-2014, 04:56 AM
Yea the company that I talked to said they've tested it, the stock 970 is only 170 watts I think.
Thanks for the link :)

toronto699
12-17-2014, 01:43 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53539-G20aj-Breath-Light-not-working
can any of u help this guy with Breath Lighting?

stevox85
12-17-2014, 07:08 AM
What is breath light? I've seen that post and didn't know what he was talking about

stevox85
12-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Ok, psu arrived today, it's the correct one, I took the machine apart removed the gpu and replaced it with the new gtx970.
I won't lie, it was a little tricky.
I haven't turned it back on yet, got to sleep now, I only used the 1 six pin connection for power, hopefully this was right.
Wish me luck for tomorrow!
If anyone wants any tips please pm me.

ubersonic
12-17-2014, 01:21 PM
So I have a huge edit to the SSD side of this overhaul. I realized this morning that the little metal plate that I was pointing to in the picture was actually upside down but when I tried flipping it over I realize that there was no way I could get it to fit. So this is where I'm at now I had to take the SSD back out, remove the CPU heatsink as originally planned which allowed me to access the DVD drive tray and after removing the tray I was able to slide in the SSD easily.

I see the CPU is in a regular socket and not soldered to the board, this is good as I presume then somebody could order the i3 or i5 version and then later upgrade the CPU to the i7 4790 or maybe even the 4790K (I know it wouldn't be overclockable but it's clocked 400MHz higher than the non-K).

stevox85
12-18-2014, 05:19 AM
Ok update on my story, I found that the 8 pin PCI cable was able to turn into a 6 pin cable :D
Unfortunately when I turned on the pc the card is not recognized...
I have definately plugged everything in correctly, is there a way to force recognize the card?

chrimen
12-18-2014, 02:48 PM
I just recently got the G20 and love it so far, but I noticed I have 2 extra cables (total noob to discrete GPU cards on desktops), one seems to be the 6 pin adapter and the other not sure what it is. Are these supposed to be plugged anywhere or are they extra cables in case I decide to upgrade the GPU later on?

toronto699
12-18-2014, 05:04 PM
lighting problems

Urzu_7
12-18-2014, 09:15 PM
I just recently got the G20 and love it so far, but I noticed I have 2 extra cables (total noob to discrete GPU cards on desktops), one seems to be the 6 pin adapter and the other not sure what it is. Are these supposed to be plugged anywhere or are they extra cables in case I decide to upgrade the GPU later on?

One cable is your extra six pin adapter for when you upgrade your GPU and the other cable is a short SATA cable for if you decide to install an SSD.

Urzu_7
12-18-2014, 09:18 PM
lighting problems

The breath lighting only works if you set the G 20 to go to sleep when you press the power button. when the G 20 is asleep you'll see the LEDs dim and then brighten back up.

Urzu_7
12-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Ok update on my story, I found that the 8 pin PCI cable was able to turn into a 6 pin cable :D
Unfortunately when I turned on the pc the card is not recognized...
I have definately plugged everything in correctly, is there a way to force recognize the card?

Sorry brother I didn't realize you already figured it out when I sent you a private message but yes the eight pin can be broken down to a six pin

Also can you post some pictures or a video of the issues you're having with your graphics card? I might be able to help you out

Tsigi
12-18-2014, 09:40 PM
The breath lighting only works if you set the G 20 to go to sleep when you press the power button. when the G 20 is asleep you'll see the LEDs dim and then brighten back up.

Thanks for your response! I'm having this problem. So the Breath lightning effect only works, if the computer is put to sleep mode? And does it matter how you put the computer to sleep mode, in other words, do you have to put it to sleep mode via pressing the power button or does the "regular" way work aswell. In regular way I mean by selecting sleep mode from "Shut Down, Log off, Hibernate" when you right-click the Windows Icon in bottom left screen (Windows 8.1).

However, I tried both ways, but my G20 went to sleep mode without ANY lights glowing, except the white light of the power button. So my LEDs are completely shut down, while you say they should be "breathing".
Also does it matter, if hybrid-sleep mode is enabled? (It's enabled by default)

The effect im talking about is working in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjMuyiMWaI

Any ideas?

Urzu_7
12-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks for your response! I'm having this problem. So the Breath lightning effect only works, if the computer is put to sleep mode? And does it matter how you put the computer to sleep mode, in other words, do you have to put it to sleep mode via pressing the power button or does the "regular" way work aswell. In regular way I mean by selecting sleep mode from "Shut Down, Log off, Hibernate" when you right-click the Windows Icon in bottom left screen (Windows 8.1).

However, I tried both ways, but my G20 went to sleep mode without ANY lights glowing, except the white light of the power button. So my LEDs are completely shut down, while you say they should be "breathing".
Also does it matter, if hybrid-sleep mode is enabled? (It's enabled by default)

The effect im talking about is working in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjMuyiMWaI

Any ideas?

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to upgrade the lighting software that you can find on the Asus website, once you update the lighting control software the breath lights will work.

Also the only method to put the computer to sleep that will activate the breath lights is to configure the power button to put the G 20 to sleep, if you select sleep via the start menu it will not work yet. Now about the hybrid sleep mode I don't know if turning it off will disable the breath lights but I have mine enabled and my breath lights work fine.

This is a direct link for the lighting control software update I pulled it from the support page for the G 20 found on the Asus website
Let me know if it works

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/ASUS_Lighting_V20106_A2.zip

Note you can also use the ROG command center that should have been preinstalled on your G 20 to look for updates for your bios, applications and I believe drivers though I'm not too sure on the third one. If you use the command center it'll handle the updates for your lighting software and anything else so it's actually pretty convenient.

Urzu_7
12-18-2014, 10:55 PM
I see the CPU is in a regular socket and not soldered to the board, this is good as I presume then somebody could order the i3 or i5 version and then later upgrade the CPU to the i7 4790 or maybe even the 4790K (I know it wouldn't be overclockable but it's clocked 400MHz higher than the non-K).

Okay, CPU upgrading in theory is possible because the CPU is on a regular socket, but on this machine its a bit tricky. The reason is because when compared to the GPU which is just one device drawing from one power source, the CPU shares a single power source with a motherboard, ram, a DVD drive, LEDs, fans, and a hard drive. There might also be some other components that I'm forgetting. Long story short, if upgrading from the stock i3 or i5 to the !!!(((STOCK)))!!! i7 4790 NON K there shouldn't be a problem. Now remember, I said "shouldn't" but I'm not one hundred percent sure, I have never done this nor do I think anyone else has yet. However, if upgrading to a different version of the i7, i5 , i3 or another generation since this motherboard might support whatever comes after 4790 you run into the issue of possibly over drawing power from the power supply. If the CPU in place is over the recommended power draw you risk damaging the power supply or other components. The G 20 that I ordered came with a 180 W power supply for the core components and a 230 W power supply for the GPU, if the power supply you have for the main components of your G20 is rated the same as my 180 or higher, then you should be okay to upgrade at least to the i7 4790 since this is the same CPU that my G 20 came with. If you'd like to live on the edge or if you know the power draw for the CPU you want to upgrade to is close to the stock power draw of the i7 4790 then you could try it.

chrimen
12-19-2014, 03:36 AM
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to upgrade the lighting software that you can find on the Asus website, once you update the lighting control software the breath lights will work.

Also the only method to put the computer to sleep that will activate the breath lights is to configure the power button to put the G 20 to sleep, if you select sleep via the start menu it will not work yet. Now about the hybrid sleep mode I don't know if turning it off will disable the breath lights but I have mine enabled and my breath lights work fine.

This is a direct link for the lighting control software update I pulled it from the support page for the G 20 found on the Asus website
Let me know if it works

Note you can also use the ROG command center that should have been preinstalled on your G 20 to look for updates for your bios, applications and I believe drivers though I'm not too sure on the third one. If you use the command center it'll handle the updates for your lighting software and anything else so it's actually pretty convenient.

I've updated the software and have and tried the link you provided as well (just in case my download was bad somehow). I put the computer to sleep and the the "breathing worked " once. Now when I put the computer to sleep via the power button or otherwise it just shuts off the light immediately. Still not working for me.

Urzu_7
12-19-2014, 04:39 AM
I've updated the software and have and tried the link you provided as well (just in case my download was bad somehow). I put the computer to sleep and the the "breathing worked " once. Now when I put the computer to sleep via the power button or otherwise it just shuts off the light immediately. Still not working for me.

Try reinstalling the The lighting software, make sure breath lights are checked to be enabled within the software and reconfigure the power button to put the computer to sleep, see if that does anything. Also you can try enabling or disabling hybrid sleep mode and make sure that the power button is not set to hibernate.

chrimen
12-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Try reinstalling the The lighting software, make sure breath lights are checked to be enabled within the software and reconfigure the power button to put the computer to sleep, see if that does anything. Also you can try enabling or disabling hybrid sleep mode and make sure that the power button is not set to hibernate.

I did all of the above various times but still, when the PC goes to sleep it just shuts down the lights. I'll try to talk to customer support over the weekend.

stevox85
12-19-2014, 09:07 AM
I got my EVGA GTX970 OC working!
I had given up all hope!
All I had to do was swap the jumper that was next to the 5 other jumpers near the psu ports, this got voltage to my GPU through the pci express ports, I havent benchmarked yet properly but the heaven one I was using (on high settings) before was showing 120fps at least where my GTX745 was only 20-30 FPS.
GPU is locked at 80 degrees max and seems to be doing good.
I defo know how to do this now for people who have a GPU powered by the 180 watt supply, I can tell you where to get the new PSU and talk you through how to go about doing this :D

toronto699
12-20-2014, 03:13 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55027-ROG-G20-do-I-need-to-turn-on-SSD-cache
ssd ?

Jerbs
12-20-2014, 04:53 AM
Hey all, toronto699 was gracious enough to provide a link to this thread (thank you, sir!).

Turns out my unit doesn't come with an SSD (it has a 2TB HDD, instead of the 1TB + 8GB SSD combo). So, I guess I should add my own SSD! The unit came with an SSD cable, so the option to add one must be there, right? :) I've built numerous PCs in the past, but this is the first time 'tinkering' with a pre-built PC.

So, I was thinking to add a 256GB SSD as my primary drive (OS and main programs/games I use) and then have the HDD as a storage drive for archiving and programs I don't run all that often.

I'm still relatively new to the SSD scene and this would be my 2nd machine to use SSD (my old rig had 2x 60GB SSD drives in a RAID setup). So focusing on the G20; incoming "newb" questions:
- what is a suggested brand/model (I'll most likely be going to www.frys.com )?
- any brands/models I should absolutely stay away from?
- any tips/suggestions for a first timer like myself? (e.g. I believe I need to create an image of the OS, as there is no disc supplied)

Many thanks in advance!

Urzu_7
12-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Attention to all who follow this thread, I'll be taking a two week vacation starting today. Although the amount of time I spend on this thread to help others with their G 20s will be limited, please feel free to send me a private message. I want to try and check on this thread from time to time as well to assist those who have problems.
My ultimate goal of this thread is to make it the go to place for any type of G20 moding, problems, upgrades, and general support. I believe the G 20 is a great machine and to those owners that are out there that are looking into pushing it past its stock form and do not yet have someone who has done what they are looking to do...

Good Hunting!
Happy Holidays!
Urzu-7

chrimen
12-22-2014, 12:39 AM
An update on the "Breath" lights issue. I spoke to support and they asked me to download the chipset drivers below is the link.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G20AJ&p=14&s=11

I've done that and it works only when I use the sleep button on my wireless keyboard.

Is the breathing effect supposed to happen only while it goes into sleep mode? or is it supposed to be flashing throughout sleep mode?

Mine only does it a couple of times while going into sleep mode then I hear the fans come on and then lights go out.

_
12-22-2014, 05:38 AM
Moved thread to G20 forum to keep everything in one place :)

Tsigi
12-22-2014, 02:20 PM

Let me know if it works

Thanks for your help with this!

I have,

-enabled hybrid sleep mode
-Installed those drivers you linked
-configured the power button to set PC to sleep mode from Power plan -settings
-Installed chipset drivers, which were linked in a post few posts before me

Still no effect, when putting to sleep mode, all lights shut down, and only the white light from power button is on.

Elesias
12-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Hello guys.

I'm new here, but it seems the right place to ask my question : I own a ROG G20 and I want to change the graphic card.
As I ordered the G20 with the GTX 750, I got only one PSU, the 230W. So - tell me if I'm wrong -, my only hope is to find the 180W (to feed the motherboard and CPU), in order to let the 230W for the GPU.
If so, do you have the complete details for the 180W PSU so I can order it please ?

Thanks !

yamark
12-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Hello folks. I just bought a G20 and successfully installed a 256GB SSD. It took me forever as it was very difficult to squeeze the SSD in and even harder to connect the cable with my big hands. This machine screams now. My main purpose for buying the G20 is for video editing with Adobe Premiere. I am now debating on upgrading to 16GB RAM. Has anyone successfully upgraded their memory? Did it make much of a difference? What memory is recommended? Will it be as difficult to squeeze in as the SSD was?

toronto699
12-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Hello folks. I just bought a G20 and successfully installed a 256GB SSD. It took me forever as it was very difficult to squeeze the SSD in and even harder to connect the cable with my big hands. This machine screams now. My main purpose for buying the G20 is for video editing with Adobe Premiere. I am now debating on upgrading to 16GB RAM. Has anyone successfully upgraded their memory? Did it make much of a difference? What memory is recommended? Will it be as difficult to squeeze in as the SSD was?

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner this will tell u your memory and what u need to upgrade

yamark
12-30-2014, 08:18 PM
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner this will tell u your memory and what u need to upgrade
Thanks. The scanner did not detect by SSD. I wonder why.

toronto699
12-31-2014, 01:22 AM
Thanks. The scanner did not detect by SSD. I wonder why.
SSD may be too new , list detection maybe out dated a little any thing else it did not detect ? I find the scanner pretty useful , what SSD model and brand u installed?

Bodycount69
01-03-2015, 10:19 PM
So I just got a G20 and I decided to replace the stock 760 with a 980, add an SSD and upgrade the HDD. The GPU was tricky but I managed however, 43904it looks like adding the SSD and replacing the HDD is near impossible. And tips?

What video card did you use got a link for it ?
Was it hard to replace?

Razer189
01-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Thx god i found this thread. I have recently bought an asus g20 but it only has an 770 in it. i was about to go out an buy my self a Gainward 970 because of the stock cooler, but i don't know how to take out the old GPU without damaging other parts. So I was wondering how do i take it out and how do I put the new GPU in? :confused: (Sorry for my Engrish)

kevinb4ar
01-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Is is recommended if I add an ssd for this model if i get the us009s one ?

brustew216
02-01-2015, 12:11 AM
I have the gtx750 with one power supply 230watts to upgrade the gpu will I need to find the 180watt supply?

brustew216
02-01-2015, 12:26 AM
I have the gtx750 with one power supply 230watts to upgrade will I need to find the 180watt supply?

Fatboy9
02-01-2015, 03:17 AM
Yes. You will need it to run the rest of the computer when you upgrade your video card.

tjrava
02-01-2015, 03:58 AM
Hey guys, Zone 2 of my lights on my G20AJ are not turning on at all, and I'm not sure why. I checked inside to see if the two cables were plugged in and they were. Any ideas?

tjrava
02-01-2015, 04:01 AM
Sorry, I meant zone 1.

Angelo0106
02-01-2015, 06:32 PM
hello there.. i just want to ask.. coz i just bought the g20 last month.. and it started crashing while playing games with no bsod.. does changing the gpu fix the problem? i dont really want this sending to asus coz i takes forever just to fix this thing.. oh and i have stock gtx 760 on it... tahnk you so much

Vyruscube
02-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Hi, I wanted to ask, if there's a programm, that makes the lightzones constantly changing ... (something like the blackwidow chroma keyboard or the Corsair K70). It like to have it look more alive, and not that static.

GoHack
02-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Hi,

Do you, or anyone else, have a photo of the 180W power supply, showing the specs like the 230W photo which was posted here, including showing the connector end, which specifically came w/the system?

I just bought a G20, but it came w/the 230W one instead, due to it's being an Intel i5, w/a Geforce GTX 750 video card.

I plan to eventually upgrade everything, including the CPU. Thanks.

doeboydk
02-04-2015, 10:26 AM
did anybody do a video of taking apart this computer ? i am looking at how to upgrade ram at some later point

Hi, I wanted to ask, if there's a programm, that makes the lightzones constantly changing ... (something like the blackwidow chroma keyboard or the Corsair K70). It like to have it look more alive, and not that static.
The Breathe lightning only works when the computer is idle / screensaver and dont seem to work properly for everybody

Bodycount69
02-04-2015, 05:51 PM
So what GPU did you use ??? Model please and who makes it ??

Bruzur
02-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Hey folks, new to the forums here... I just wanted to issue my sincerest thank you to those individuals who have offered-up tips and posted pictures regarding our wonderful G20.

Just from reference pictures alone, I was able to install a Samsung 128GB 850 PRO, with the technique suggested.
It was meticulous, but well worth having an SSD option.

I want to explore additional RAM options, but that doesn't seem viable for this particular prebuilt.
Also, I'm interested in the Reference GTX 980 idea.
I will likely spring from that from NewEgg.

I've read a few articles confirming that as long as it's the Reference model, it will operate within the confines of the maximum wattage.
Is there anything I should have in mind when opening it back up for a GPU swap?

Thanks again for everything that has been compiled in here.

GoHack
02-04-2015, 10:55 PM
Hi,

Do you, or anyone else, have a photo of the 180W power supply, showing the specs like the 230W photo which was posted here, including showing the connector end, which specifically came w/the system?

I just bought a G20, but it came w/the 230W one instead, due to it's being an Intel i5, w/a Geforce GTX 750 video card.

I plan to eventually upgrade everything, including the CPU. Thanks.

For those who may be interested.

Here's the Asus 180W power supply Model: ADP-180MB F, 19.5V, 9.23A, 100-240V~50-60Hz 2.34A

I stopped by a local Fry's store today, which happened to have an Asus G20 w/the i7 CPU on display, and went and took the information off of the 180W power supply.

Update:

I found one on ebay yesterday, brand new, w/the exact same model number and specs, and so I bought it. The only difference, the connector is a 90 degree vs. the normal straight. There are some on Amazon.com as well, again w/the same model number and specs.

Bodycount69
02-05-2015, 05:14 AM
You can upgrade to 16gigs 2x8 gig DD3 240 pin ram

GoHack
02-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Hey folks, new to the forums here... I just wanted to issue my sincerest thank you to those individuals who have offered-up tips and posted pictures regarding our wonderful G20.

Just from reference pictures alone, I was able to install a Samsung 128GB 850 PRO, with the technique suggested.

I want to explore additional RAM options, but that doesn't seem viable for this particular prebuilt.

I've read a few articles confirming that as long as it's the Reference model, it will operate within the confines of the maximum wattage.

What are your system specs?

According to Nvidia's specs, the ref design GeForce GTX 980 requires a 165W power supply.

So using a system w/just the 180W power supply, that'll leave you w/only 15W left in order to run the rest of the hardware. With the 230W, that'll leave you w/just 65W. The best way is to go w/BOTH power supplies, which each can be purchased, from either from ebay or Amazon.com.

dacker
02-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Ok! To help future GPU Upgraders I making this post to make it clear that the GPU power supply that comes with the G 20 or that can be ordered online using the links that are found in this thread supports up to 230 W. That is enough for a reference GTX 770 and more than enough for a reference GTX 980. Also, some of the websites to have done reviews on the G 20 are incorrect in stating that the power supply for the GPU is only 180 W . Once again I have tested it and so for clarification the GPU power supply is 230 W. If your G 20 has two power supplies note that the 180 W power supply that you will also receive is for the rest of the computer, not the GPU.

Urzu,
I have the G20AJ-B07 from Best Buy. it comes with only one power supply which is the Delta Electronics ADP-230 EB (230 watt). my unit has only the 750 GTX. I contacted ASUS support and was given this part number for the additional power supply if I added a bigger GPU. ASUS part # 0A0001-00260400. this is a 180 watt power supply.
thanks for all your info it has been helpful in trying to upgrade my G20!
David

dacker
02-07-2015, 06:07 PM

Bruzur,
I am also trying to install the Samsung 850 Pro 128gb. did you move the OS to the SSD? Where in the BIOS did u change from RAID to AHCI? Samsung support wanted my to remove the 1TB HD and boot from my USB to the SSD????
please let me know how you accomplished any of these tasks or let me know how to get the OS onto the SSD. Samsung told me the migration software does not completely get the OS off the HD and onto the SSD using their software.
If anyone has any input on this jump right in. I want to use the AHCI feauture on the 850 Pro but the BIOS needs to support this??? I need help

Bruzur
02-08-2015, 06:32 AM
What are your system specs?

According to Nvidia's specs, the ref design GeForce GTX 980 requires a 165W power supply.

So using a system w/just the 180W power supply, that'll leave you w/only 15W left in order to run the rest of the hardware. With the 230W, that'll leave you w/just 65W. The best way is to go w/BOTH power supplies, which each can be purchased, from either from ebay or Amazon.com.

The model I purchased from a Fry's Electronics in Dallas, TX came with both power supply units.
The bricks are actually holstered in a conveniently, rubber-coated casing.

I have the GTX 760 2GB package.
So, naturally after what I've read on here, having both of those power supplies will more than suffice on the behalf of necessary power for the GTX 980.
I mean, considering that I won't be overclocking it, let alone expecting the fans to even spool for the games that I play.
I'm literally only deciding to spring for that card because I truly enjoy modding Skyrim that much.

All of that aside, unless I'm mistaken... I should be able to get that GTX 980 going, right?
Thanks for the reply.

Bruzur
02-08-2015, 06:37 AM
You can upgrade to 16gigs 2x8 gig DD3 240 pin ram

Any thoughts or suggestions for great performance RAM? I would naturally be looking to capitalize on the remaining availability for expansion!

And I believe this motherboard can only support up to DDR3 - 1600MHz, right?
So with that being said, does anyone have $0.02 to chip in?
Thanks.

Bruzur
02-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Bruzur,
I am also trying to install the Samsung 850 Pro 128gb. did you move the OS to the SSD? Where in the BIOS did u change from RAID to AHCI? Samsung support wanted my to remove the 1TB HD and boot from my USB to the SSD????
please let me know how you accomplished any of these tasks or let me know how to get the OS onto the SSD. Samsung told me the migration software does not completely get the OS off the HD and onto the SSD using their software.
If anyone has any input on this jump right in. I want to use the AHCI feauture on the 850 Pro but the BIOS needs to support this??? I need help

To be completely honest,
I left my 1TB HDD in, and the SSD is simply for additional storage.
Well, that and I load all of my important Steam games from the 850.

I didn't want to try tweaking the boot drive, so I simply left well-enough alone.
Besides, getting this thing taken apart was just annoying to begin with, so when I noticed what else I was going to have to do in order to make the SSD my initial drive, I tapped out.
It was also 4 a.m. when I made my first attempt, so that likely explains my lack of willingness.

Anyway, I wish I could be of more help, but this computer isn't even my "actual" computer.
I do most of my personal and work-related tasks on my iMac or MacBook.

I picked up the G20 primarily for mid-tier gaming.
I hope someone on here can offer you some insight.

GoHack
02-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Any thoughts or suggestions for great performance RAM? I would naturally be looking to capitalize on the remaining availability for expansion!

And I believe this motherboard can only support up to DDR3 - 1600MHz, right?
So with that being said, does anyone have $0.02 to chip in?
Thanks.

The G20 uses 2 x 204-Pin DDR3L SO-DIMM 1600 (PC3 12800) laptop memory, and needs to be DDR3L low voltage, 1.35V.

One of these should be OK:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007609%20600006178%20600000279%20600000410%20 600213067%20600006157&RandomID=1073550135469220150208104753

I bought the Crucial Ballistix Sport SODIMM 16GB for my laptop just recently, and it works just fine. I'll probably buy the same for my G20, as well as the get the same SSD as you have. I do have plans to eventually replace the CPU w/a i7-4790K and go w/a GTX 980 video card.

Upgrading the memory to a full 16GB and setting up your SSD as the Boot Drive will improve your system's performance.

One thing that I don't know is, if the heat sink has to be removed from the CPU, in order to access the memory. If so, it may be a good idea to clean and put some good thermo compound on it. Arctic Silver 5 is a good one, and here's a link on how to apply it: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

GoHack
02-08-2015, 07:11 PM
The model I purchased from a Fry's Electronics in Dallas, TX came with both power supply units.
The bricks are actually holstered in a conveniently, rubber-coated casing.

I have the GTX 760 2GB package.
So, naturally after what I've read on here, having both of those power supplies will more than suffice on the behalf of necessary power for the GTX 980.
I mean, considering that I won't be overclocking it, let alone expecting the fans to even spool for the games that I play.
I'm literally only deciding to spring for that card because I truly enjoy modding Skyrim that much.

All of that aside, unless I'm mistaken... I should be able to get that GTX 980 going, right?
Thanks for the reply.

From what I've read, the GTX 980 should work fine, but it has to be the Reference design one, which according to the Nvidia website, the Graphics Card Power (W) is 165W. The 230W that comes w/your system supplies the video card, so you have more than enough there. The Reference one is sold under both the Nvidia name and PNY. It's the basic, no OC card.

I have the basic G20AJ system from Best Buy. It comes with only one power supply, which is the 230W. I went to my local Fry's, looked at the 180W power supply there on a display model, in order to get the exact info off of it, such as model number, and found and ordered one on eBay. Eventually I plan to upgrade everything eventually.

Bruzur
02-08-2015, 07:41 PM
The G20 uses 2 x 204-Pin DDR3L SO-DIMM 1600 (PC3 12800) laptop memory, and needs to be DDR3L low voltage, 1.35V.

One of these should be OK:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007609%20600006178%20600000279%20600000410%20 600213067%20600006157&RandomID=1073550135469220150208104753

I bought the Crucial Ballistix Sport SODIMM 16GB for my laptop just recently, and it works just fine. I'll probably buy the same for my G20, as well as the get the same SSD as you have. I do have plans to eventually replace the CPU w/a i7-4790K and go w/a GTX 980 video card.

Upgrading the memory to a full 16GB and setting up your SSD as the Boot Drive will improve your system's performance.

One thing that I don't know is, if the heat sink has to be removed from the CPU, in order to access the memory. If so, it may be a good idea to clean and put some good thermo compound on it. Arctic Silver 5 is a good one, and here's a link on how to apply it: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

Well, I definitely appreciate the information you've provided, and I mean from both of your posts.
I just wanted to confirm for my own sake that this motherboard only supports the 204-Pin and NOT any 240-Pin DDR3L RAM, correct?

I wanted to make absolute certain before I pulled the trigger on that situation.
Before I even plan to officially upgrade the RAM, I'll be going with the easier job, and that's replacing the GPU.

I found a few Reference models online and wanted to see if anyone had feedback regarding the units that I found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121900&cm_re=gtx_980-_-14-121-900-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-487-068
(I don't think this will be supported, due to power limitations.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-487-067

Thanks again.

GoHack
02-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Well, I definitely appreciate the information you've provided, and I mean from both of your posts.
I just wanted to confirm for my own sake that this motherboard only supports the 204-Pin and NOT any 240-Pin DDR3L RAM, correct?

I wanted to make absolute certain before I pulled the trigger on that situation.
Before I even plan to officially upgrade the RAM, I'll be going with the easier job, and that's replacing the GPU.

I found a few Reference models online and wanted to see if anyone had feedback regarding the units that I found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121900&cm_re=gtx_980-_-14-121-900-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-487-068
(I don't think this will be supported, due to power limitations.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-487-067

Thanks again.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-silver-black/9855141.p?id=1219441205886&skuId=9855141

All except the Superclock model, should be OK, including the Nvidia that I have linked to at BB.

Here's the Nvidia Reference Specs: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications

Here's pictures of the Nvidia Reference design: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/product-images

Bruzur
02-08-2015, 08:49 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-silver-black/9855141.p?id=1219441205886&skuId=9855141

All except the Superclock model, should be OK, including the Nvidia that I have linked to at BB.

Here's the Nvidia Reference Specs: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications

Here's pictures of the Nvidia Reference design: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/product-images

Thanks for those links.
I had most of those bookmarked, already.
Either way, I'm eager to get this underway...

BUT... I will say that obviously I'm a little hesitant because I'm still catching rumors of the GTX 980 Ti slotted for an April release.
Although, judging by the recent GPU releases (even if they are starting to lower power consumption), most of the "stronger" cards than the 980, including some models of the 980 that are OC'ed, require a lot more power than 300W.

I doubt that the 980 Ti will be able to work within that limit for this computer.
If I'm assuming in the right ballpark, then I'll just go forward with the Reference 980 from NVIDIA, rather than waiting for some pipedream of the 980 Ti that won't work.

Please tell me that I'm accurate in saying that so I can stop waiting to see what the official announcement will hold.

GoHack
02-08-2015, 10:07 PM
Thanks for those links.
I had most of those bookmarked, already.
Either way, I'm eager to get this underway...

BUT... I will say that obviously I'm a little hesitant because I'm still catching rumors of the GTX 980 Ti slotted for an April release.
Although, judging by the recent GPU releases (even if they are starting to lower power consumption), most of the "stronger" cards than the 980, including some models of the 980 that are OC'ed, require a lot more power than 300W.

I doubt that the 980 Ti will be able to work within that limit for this computer.
If I'm assuming in the right ballpark, then I'll just go forward with the Reference 980 from NVIDIA, rather than waiting for some pipedream of the 980 Ti that won't work.

Please tell me that I'm accurate in saying that so I can stop waiting to see what the official announcement will hold.

If you check, the talk now for the Ti is 2016, due to production issues.

W/o any released specs, but going by the differences between the 780 and the 780 Ti, there's a difference there of 122W, using those as an example. So you can for sure expect a 980 Ti that will certainly draw more power than the 980 will.

I'd say go for the Reference 980 now and enjoy it. I plan to.

There's always going to be a better product coming down the road.

GoHack
02-08-2015, 10:34 PM

Thanks again.

If you check on the Asus specs, it calls for 2 x SO-DIMM, which is laptop memory. The reason they use it in this and other Mini-ITX systems, is for room, though I don't know why they went w/a 3.5" desktop HD, when they could of used a smaller laptop drive, or just an SSD. It would of saved both space and power. I wouldn't expect there to be any performance value to the particular desktop HD that comes w/the G20, to that of a laptop HD.

Interesting though, according to the BIOS settings, the system supports RAID. So removing the HD, and w/an adapter, the system could support either two RAID 0 laptop drives, or SSD's.

The G20 is an interesting system that has some potential, which is why I went w/it.

Bruzur
02-08-2015, 11:51 PM
If you check on the Asus specs, it calls for 2 x SO-DIMM, which is laptop memory. The reason they use it in this and other Mini-ITX systems, is for room, though I don't know why they went w/a 3.5" desktop HD, when they could of used a smaller laptop drive, or just an SSD. It would of saved both space and power. I wouldn't expect there to be any performance value to the particular desktop HD that comes w/the G20, to that of a laptop HD.

Interesting though, according to the BIOS settings, the system supports RAID. So removing the HD, and w/an adapter, the system could support either two RAID 0 laptop drives, or SSD's.

The G20 is an interesting system that has some potential, which is why I went w/it.

It sure is.
I certainly can't wait to see what else people decide to do with these machines.
I'm just glad that I came across this forum before I made the attempt to open this thing up!

Those pictures were life saving, because never before had I taken apart a PC this compact.

Excellent tips on the RAM and SSD though!
I'll be looking into options for RAM here within the next few weeks.

Also, I very well might end up snagging that NVIDIA 980 from a local Best Buy next week.
There is one about 20 miles from me that has numerous in stock.

I'll also have to see about getting the SSD into those modes, via the BIOS, considering Samsung Magician doesn't detect the drive in that AHCI form or whatever.
I think maybe because the SATA port isn't supported for that or setup correctly?
I don't know much about making corrections via the BIOS for things like the SSD.

masterschwag
02-11-2015, 08:55 PM
If anyone is planning on adding an SSD could they please do a step by step video or pics please?

Monkiki
02-12-2015, 04:02 AM
Is there a guide on how to disassemble the G20 anywhere or is it pretty straight forward to get into? I have a reference GTX 980 that should be delivered tomorrow.

evaandevries
02-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Someone should definitely do a video guide on how to upgrade the gpu if they're going to do it, I also have a gtx 980 that i'd like to install into my desktop but I have no idea how.

Monkiki
02-12-2015, 07:39 PM
I just opened mine up. It's actually pretty easy. This applies to the model with a GTX 760 or higher most likely. I'm not sure if the smaller cards have the same mounting internally.

1. On the rear upper left of the case, the grey plastic has small indent where it meets the red plastic. Pull up on that and the top vent section will detatch. Underneath you'll find one screw to be removed.

2. Next, flip it over to access the bottom and remove the one screw there as well. You will now be able to slide the side of the case forward a little and remove it. Just be careful when pulling it away as there are two thin cables that you must disconnect for the LED lighting.

3. Taking the video card out requires you to remove the rear red plastic portion by locating three screws securing it to the case frame: one on the bottom of the case, one on the top of the case and one on the middle edge. Just follow the red plastic around the back and sides and you'll see all three. Once removed, just pull/wiggle the rear peice out towards the back of the case.

4. Finally, the removal of the video card. There are three screws here that must be removed. Two are at the rear of the card near the front of the case and the last one is on the lower edge of the case near the front of the video card. Once those are removed, you will need to release the PCIe latch that holds the PCIe riser card on the motherboard and you can pull the video card out by lifting it vertically and rotating the PCIe connector up to be careful of the power connector under the case frame edge.

I will install the GTX 980 tonight but it looks pretty straight forward. I have connected the additonal 6-pin power connector but still need to unscrew and move the plastic peice that secures the rear of the video card.

*UPDATE*: The GTX 980 is in. I got an EVGA reference design and everything is working great. I've only tested a few games but the improvement over the GTX 760 is noticeable. It was a snug fit since the 980 is a tad thicker than the 760 plus the extra power cable.

Bodycount69
02-14-2015, 07:40 PM
I just opened mine up. It's actually pretty easy. This applies to the model with a GTX 760 or higher most likely. I'm not sure if the smaller cards have the same mounting internally.

1. On the rear upper left of the case, the grey plastic has small indent where it meets the red plastic. Pull up on that and the top vent section will detatch. Underneath you'll find one screw to be removed.

2. Next, flip it over to access the bottom and remove the one screw there as well. You will now be able to slide the side of the case forward a little and remove it. Just be careful when pulling it away as there are two thin cables that you must disconnect for the LED lighting.

3. Taking the video card out requires you to remove the rear red plastic portion by locating three screws securing it to the case frame: one on the bottom of the case, one on the top of the case and one on the middle edge. Just follow the red plastic around the back and sides and you'll see all three. Once removed, just pull/wiggle the rear peice out towards the back of the case.

4. Finally, the removal of the video card. There are three screws here that must be removed. Two are at the rear of the card near the front of the case and the last one is on the lower edge of the case near the front of the video card. Once those are removed, you will need to release the PCIe latch that holds the PCIe riser card on the motherboard and you can pull the video card out by lifting it vertically and rotating the PCIe connector up to be careful of the power connector under the case frame edge.

I will install the GTX 980 tonight but it looks pretty straight forward. I have connected the additonal 6-pin power connector but still need to unscrew and move the plastic peice that secures the rear of the video card.

*UPDATE*: The GTX 980 is in. I got an EVGA reference design and everything is working great. I've only tested a few games but the improvement over the GTX 760 is noticeable. It was a snug fit though since the 980 is a tad thicker than the 760 plus the extra power cable.

Sweet let us know how its doing in a week or so ok :)

Monkiki
02-15-2015, 10:47 PM
So far so good with the 980. I've been testing the games below as well as GameStreaming to my Shield tablet without issue.

• Elite: Dangerous
• Titanfall
• The Witcher 1 & 2
• Skyrim
• Tomb Raider

All settings are maxed out at 1080p except for The Witcher 2, which I Turned off Motion Blur and UberSampling to get closer to 60 fps or higher. I don't think Motion Blur affected performance very much.

Bodycount69
02-16-2015, 01:08 AM
So far so good with the 980. I've been testing the games below as well as GameStreaming to my Shield tablet without issue.

• Elite: Dangerous
• Titanfall
• The Witcher 1 & 2
• Skyrim
• Tomb Raider

All settings are maxed out at 1080p except for The Witcher 2, which I Turned off Motion Blur and UberSampling to get closer to 60 fps or higher. I don't think Motion Blur affected performance very much.

Nice :) happy to hear I still don't know what i'm doing yet I would like to pull everything out and put in bigger case put new video and ram and SSD x2 in

RedWolfTech
02-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Nice :) happy to hear I still don't know what i'm doing yet I would like to pull everything out and put in bigger case put new video and ram and SSD x2 in

Isn't the case the G20 is in the whole point?? ;) Why would you want to pull it all out and put it in something else?

I've put a boot SSD in mine and upgraded the video card - I just wish it had more ram slots (or had the room to have used regular DIMMs) so that it could go beyond 16gb, and I *really* wish it was easier to get to that 3.5" drive!! Has anyone gone thru the effort to actually swap it yet?

Bodycount69
02-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Isn't the case the G20 is in the whole point?? ;) Why would you want to pull it all out and put it in something else?

I've put a boot SSD in mine and upgraded the video card - I just wish it had more ram slots (or had the room to have used regular DIMMs) so that it could go beyond 16gb, and I *really* wish it was easier to get to that 3.5" drive!! Has anyone gone thru the effort to actually swap it yet?

You added a ssd drive there room for 2 drives in there ?

Bodycount69
02-16-2015, 02:46 PM
Also what video card did you go with ?

RedWolfTech
02-16-2015, 04:23 PM
You added a ssd drive there room for 2 drives in there ?

Yes - see the pics on page 2 of this thread. Its not easy to get the 2.5" SSD *into* but its doable. I was actually able to do so by removing the front panel that he shows in the pic on page 2 and sliding the SSD in that way rather than having to remove the heatsink assembly. (although you do have to be careful if using that method that you only bend a bit and not break the front red plastic trim while you do it)

There are 3 SATA ports on the board - one used by the 3.5" drive, one used by the DVD and one free below the DVD tray that you use with the extra SATA cable it comes with for an optional 2.5" drive in that location pictured.

I was being quiet on my GPU upgrade 'cause I had a 6GB GTX Titan sitting here at the moment out of another PC and I used that. :) So here's the thing - *officially* the GTX 780 and GTX Titan both have a TDP rating that is too high for this PC an power supply - both have a TDP rating of 250watts while the second GPU power supply that comes with the Asus is rated at 230watts. Thing is, Asus plainly sells our G20's with a GTX 780 option and you can find reviews all over the web of the G20 where they were sent the GTX 780 model. Both of those cards if they are reference-cooler models use 1 6pin power cable and 1 8pin power cable - exactly like what is inside the G20 so theoretically I figured if the GTX 780 works somehow withing the power limits of this box then there's no reason my GTX Titan shouldn't do the same.

My Titan seems to be proving that out - I've run the Unigine Heaven Benchmark on the standard full-benchmark settings (1920 X 1080, Ultra Quality, Extreme Tesselation, 8X FSAA) over and over and over - I actually let it run for over an hour at one point and I've had no problems with it overheating or pulling too much power. From lots of googling what I think is happening is that TDP of 250watts on the 780/TItan is more than what they really pull at the deafult clock speeds and thermal limits. For instance, the *default* builtin thermal limit on the Titan is 80c - as soon as it hits that it will up the fans and lower clock and memory speeds to keep the card running at 80c. I can see that happening when I run the Heaven benchmark as the temp will climb to that point and then stay there as long as I want to run it. At that 80c mark it seems the card (from stuff I'm reading where others have tried to measure this) pulls around 225watts - just shy of what the second power supply with the G20 produces. I guess that's why its working and why this thing has the GTX 780 as well as an option since I assume whatever the default thermal limit is on the 780 it probably pulls similar power.

Granted, there will be *ZERO* overclocking a 780 or Titan in this PC - even a slight increase in the thermal limit allowed and the card will pull more power than the second power supply can provide. I've seen it happen on other PCs and it generally causes sudden shutdown and the like and doesn't *necessarily* cause immediate damage, but it is not something you want and I'm sure *could* cause real damage.

RedWolfTech
02-16-2015, 04:28 PM
Also, the Intel i7 4790 CPU in our machines? It is socketed (socket 1150) and I see the only real option above that is the 4790K extreme processor - has a turboboost up to 4.4Ghz rather than the 4Ghz that ours does. On Intel's site is lists the power draw on the 4790 at 84watts and the power draw on the 4790K at 88watts - I bet it would work in here. ;)

Bodycount69
02-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Dam nice RedWolfTech :) a god dam titan :) WOOOHOOO lol I'm going to get and try a 980 I think.

RedWolfTech
02-16-2015, 06:24 PM
Dam nice RedWolfTech :) a god dam titan :) WOOOHOOO lol I'm going to get and try a 980 I think.

Hah! A Titan is certainly not what I would have done if I didn't have one already sitting here. :) I think the GTX 980 (ref cooler) is the perfect card for this machine.

Bodycount69
02-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Hah! A Titan is certainly not what I would have done if I didn't have one already sitting here. :) I think the GTX 980 (ref cooler) is the perfect card for this machine.

I hope so I just ordered it and some ram I was looking at the ram slot and the pipes from the CPU cool run over the open ram slot am I going to have to remove the cpu cooler to get the ram it ?

RedWolfTech
02-16-2015, 08:08 PM
I hope so I just ordered it and some ram I was looking at the ram slot and the pipes from the CPU cool run over the open ram slot am I going to have to remove the cpu cooler to get the ram it ?

Yes I think most likely you'll have to - looked too tight for fingers to me. My version came with the GTX 760 and both RAM slots already filled though so wasn't something I needed to do.

bajek
02-19-2015, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=Urzu_7;455478]So this is where I'm at now I had to take the SSD back out, remove the CPU heatsink as originally planned...

Hi! Could you explain how you get out heatsink? Im stuck on this one. I trying to get out i5 and put i7 into this one:)

bajek
02-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Okay, i figured it out. Under this black foil on heatsink you can find two holes for screwdriver:)

RedWolfTech
02-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Okay, i figured it out. Under this black foil on heatsink you can find two holes for screwdriver:)

Thanks for that! I'm tempted to put a 4790K in there. :)

Bruzur
02-22-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm really glad to see that people have continued to trickle into this thread. Honestly, this needs to be easier to find for those individuals who did end up being able to get their hands on this prebuilt.

I have been loving my G20 ever since I dropped the 850 Pro into it.
That SSD just screams...

Anyway, I'm on the verge of getting my GTX 980! The tax return just came through, so it's time for that purchase to happen.
I still hope to hear more feedback on performance, average temperatures at idles, power consumption, etc.

I considered a Titan, that I found from a local seller on Craigslist, but the guy wanted $1,800 for it, after he had already been overclocking that thing for quite a few months. Nah.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-TITAN-vs-GeForce-GTX-980

Not too shabby, but for the price... and general ability, while within the recommended confines of this beautiful machine... the GTX 980 is perfect.

Bodycount69
02-22-2015, 07:05 PM
The 980 Is the best card for the G20 I think I'm still waiting for MarshallR@ASUS he got a G20 and told me he is going to do a video to take the system apart :( I'm still waiting MarshallR@ASUS :) and thanks again.

Colin @ PCMarket.com.au
02-24-2015, 12:21 AM
We upgraded one with a GTX980 for a customer recently a did a little write up

http://www.pcmarket.com.au/blog/upgrading-gpu-asus-rog-g20aj-gaming-desktop-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-video-card

The 980 Is the best card for the G20 I think I'm still waiting for MarshallR@ASUS he got a G20 and told me he is going to do a video to take the system apart :( I'm still waiting MarshallR@ASUS :) and thanks again.

Bodycount69
02-24-2015, 03:34 AM
We upgraded one with a GTX980 for a customer recently a did a little write up

http://www.pcmarket.com.au/blog/upgrading-gpu-asus-rog-g20aj-gaming-desktop-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-video-card

Very Nice guys thank you I will now order my 980 :)

Wali794
02-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Guys is it possible to upgrade the G20 (which comes with GTX 745) to GTX 960m mini (GV-N960IXOC-2GD) WITH the stock psu/adapter that comes with the G20?

Bodycount69
02-26-2015, 01:46 PM
If you mean a card like this look at link below I was told No its short but its also wide to wide to fit.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487093

You have to go with a card like this :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133579

A Reference type card only.

Wali794
02-26-2015, 07:44 PM
If you mean a card like this look at link below I was told No its short but its also wide to wide to fit.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487093

You have to go with a card like this :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133579

A Reference type card only.

Thanks for the reply . Reference designs are not avalible in my country ATM . I found another one , its not reference but it looks quite similar to reference . Link below

homeshopping.pk/products/MSI-GTX-960-2GD5-GeForce-GTX-960-2GB-Price-in-Pakistan.html

Bodycount69
02-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the reply . Reference designs are not avalible in my country ATM . I found another one , its not reference but it looks quite similar to reference . Link below

homeshopping.pk/products/MSI-GTX-960-2GD5-GeForce-GTX-960-2GB-Price-in-Pakistan.html

Yes that will work :) the Card Dimensions are (L x H) 9.53" x 4.37 it will fit nice :)

Wali794
02-27-2015, 06:51 AM
Yes that will work :) the Card Dimensions are (L x H) 9.53" x 4.37 it will fit nice :)

thanks! And what about the psu . Will it work with the stock psu/adapter?

Bodycount69
02-27-2015, 04:01 PM
thanks! And what about the psu . Will it work with the stock psu/adapter?

If your G20 came with 2x supplys yes it will. Some only came with one.

bensetsfire
03-14-2015, 08:29 AM
So here's my upgrade problem. I had the i5-4460/GTX 750 model, and I upgraded to an EVGA GTX 970 - everything worked with no issues. Then I upgraded to 16GB RAM and an i7-4790k - now, every so often, the power will just completely cut out for the 230W power brick when I'm playing a game. I have to unplug the brick from the wall in order to get it to switch back on again. During all of this though I discovered that if I unplug the 180W power brick, the computer still operates as normal... So does this mean everything is running off of my 230W supply alone?? And if so, how do I get it to take power from the 180W input? If anyone has any answers I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Ravenholme
03-16-2015, 02:58 PM
how i installed the SSD was tricky, i had to remove the bracket holding the heatsink, the screw holding it in place as well. unscrew the optical drive bracket, lifting it diagonally to pull out the entire thing. BUT you can't install it that way (tried). because of that front mounting bracket for the ssd. instead of lifting it. you lift the heat sink slightly (not bending it much cuz i'm afraid some may break it). and sliding the bracket back under the heatsink. THAT way you can slide the SSD in sideways without damaging it (took me a while to figure this out). adding the RAM was a bit tricky, i had to unscrew the CPU Screws to loosen things up a bit and place it in.

I never removed the heatsink from it's place on the cpu btw.

I bought G20AJ on Friday, Added the SSD & RAM that night, samsung 850 Evo cloning software from 1TB, unplugged 1TB sata cable, booted it up with SSD only. (which made it primary) plugged the 1TB back in formatted the 150 & 750, merged the sectors in system and made it secondary.

Took me awhile to figure it out I even went into Bios to figure all that out. I had to disable the intel onboard graphics cuz it was causing issues (in Device Manager) so my GTX 760 is still installed but i'm curious what the limitations are. I won't be replacing it for sometime as i'm ok w it's performances. I bought the G20AJ-US009S

Windows was cloned perfectly and is stable.

Ravenholme
03-16-2015, 03:03 PM
did you get 1600 1.35v PC-12800S DDR3? i think the extra juice required from the 4790K is causing your issues since the GTX 970 is drawing more power than the old 750

bensetsfire
03-17-2015, 02:45 AM
Yeah I got RAM that matched what was in it to start. Everything was fine until I got the new CPU, then it would draw too much power and kill everything. My issue was that the 180W power source wasn't being used at all. I figured it out after a little bit, had to switch the other five jumpers over, Now as I understand it, the CPU/RAM etc is drawing from the 180W source and the GPU alone is on the 230W source. So far no problems since.

Bruzur
03-18-2015, 12:34 AM
So, with the announcement of the TITAN X... I'm naturally curious as to whether or not it's possible to run with one of those, despite the higher (250W) TDP.
Apparently, NVIDIA recommends having a 600W system for this GPU... But with both power supplies, we're only at 410W.
Then again, for the GTX 980, it was recommend to have a 500W system.

Obviously, something like this couldn't be overclocked without completely overwhelming the system, but I'm assuming that even at load, it wouldn't get much hotter than a 980 would.

Anyone else even the slightest bit curious?

GoHack
03-18-2015, 03:06 AM
So, with the announcement of the TITAN X... I'm naturally curious as to whether or not it's possible to run with one of those, despite the higher (250W) TDP.
Apparently, NVIDIA recommends having a 600W system for this GPU... But with both power supplies, we're only at 410W.
Then again, for the GTX 980, it was recommend to have a 500W system.

Obviously, something like this couldn't be overclocked without completely overwhelming the system, but I'm assuming that even at load, it wouldn't get much hotter than a 980 would.

Anyone else even the slightest bit curious?

When it comes to the video card alone, w/the Titan X, it requires 250W, for a standard, non-overclocked card to operate. That already exceeds the 230W available for the video card by 20W. We don't know what the tolerances are, when it comes to the 250W, whether is the maximum, average, or minimum wattage used. Then of course you will have the issue w/heat that the Titan X will give off as well. Will the G20 be able to handle that.

The same goes w/the GTX 980, which requires 165W for a standard, non-overclocked card, but in this case, you have an extra 65W available, should that 165W be the minimum or average wattage used.

That 600W is for a total system built, taking into account, top of the line hardware, just like w/the Titan X itself.

The 500W, the same.

With the G20, you have a standard set system, w/one HD, a DVD, 8 GB system memory, an Intel i3 CPU, and a GTX 745 GPU, powered by a 180W Power Supply Brick. From there, a system choice w/either an i5 or i7 CPU, various GPU's up to, and including, the GTX 980, again the standard 8GB of system memory, w/an optional 16GB, and an SSD, all maxed out, requiring less than the maximum 410W available. The 230W is suppose to be fully assigned to the GPU w/the top end systems, and the 180W for the rest of the system, including the CPU.

bensetsfire
03-19-2015, 01:26 AM
Well, my G20 upgrading has come to a sad end. I installed an SSD and at some point after putting it all back together there was a sizzle and the power shut down and something had burnt. Opened it all up and can't see any sign of damage, think the smell is coming from the HDD location, but can't really be sure. It will power on for a split second now, long enough to spin the fans then powers off. Maybe I fried the 230W plug? I'm sad :(

Ravenholme
03-19-2015, 06:55 PM
I started with the i7 US009S model so i didn't have to fiddle with the power jumpers. i'm wondering if that was a factor or if it was the CPU trying to draw out too much power (84w or 88w version of the i7 4790K?) was something loose? if it was just the 230w plug i hope you can replace it and find out.

flash313
03-23-2015, 05:12 PM
I had given up all hope!
All I had to do was swap the jumper that was next to the 5 other jumpers near the psu ports, this got voltage to my GPU through the pci express ports, I havent benchmarked yet properly but the heaven one I was using (on high settings) before was showing 120fps at least where my GTX745 was only 20-30 FPS.
I defo know how to do this now for people who have a GPU powered by the 180 watt supply, I can tell you where to get the new PSU and talk you through how to go about doing this

does anyone know what jumper he is talking about i had best buy install the gtx 970 it didn't power on so i bought the extra 180 power supply but still didnt power on. from what i read the 180 is for the computer and the 230 is for the gpu now when i hook just the 180 power supply i get no power but when i hook the 230 back i get power.thank you in advance

rene_canlas
03-28-2015, 12:17 AM
On the motherboard, near the ports where you plug the power bricks, there are a row of jumpers. Look for a lone jumper that is near this row. Move that jumper so that it is shorting the other pin and the middle pin.

flash313
04-01-2015, 06:27 PM
On the motherboard, near the ports where you plug the power bricks, there are a row of jumpers. Look for a lone jumper that is near this row. Move that jumper so that it is shorting the other pin and the middle pin.

do i need both power supply's?

rene_canlas
04-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Yes

flash313
04-01-2015, 07:17 PM
thank you

bbuttner
04-02-2015, 04:53 PM
There are 3 SATA ports on the board - one used by the 3.5" drive, one used by the DVD and one free below the DVD tray that you use with the extra SATA cable it comes with for an optional 2.5" drive in that location pictured.

Has anyone posted a picture of one free below the DVD tray that you use with the extra SATA cable it comes with??

alexyov1
04-03-2015, 06:01 AM
I just bought the ROG G20AJ from BB with i7 4790/GTX 760 (dual PSU), i'm planning on upgrading with a EVGA GTX 970 SC, 16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws (PC3L laptop memory) and a Kingston SSDNow V300 240gb, i wont touch the original hard drive but i want the OS in the new SSD.
I like to thank the OP for all the info posted and the encouragement, i need to ask a few questions regarding the new SSD though, i want the new SSD to be the primary drive (C) and the original drive to be storage (D), do i need to create a recovery disk prior? do i need to update the BIOS prior? can i just install Windows 8.1 from the installation disk i already own?, do i need to manage the BIOS for the computer to see the new drive and the 16gb of RAM? thanks in advance for your help.

RamyK66
04-03-2015, 09:35 AM
I bought the i7-4790 version and I did not receive the back lit keyboard that I read comes with i. I just received a typical plain old wired keyboard and mous. Can anyone tell me why this is. I've had this same exact model in the past.. bought it then sold it then bought it again, and they all had a boring old wired keyboard. Why does it say it comes with a blue back lit keyboard when it in fact does not?

masterschwag
04-03-2015, 06:18 PM
If you bought it from best buy it doesnt come with the backlit keyboard with the volume knob, just a plain old keyboard and mouse...

adamsyes
04-07-2015, 01:13 PM
I am curious for those who mounted a EVGA ACX 2.0+ GPU cards, do they work well? or you still recommend a reference card.

I was looking at the FTW 960 2.0+ Model, it seems to draw a maximum of 235W, not sure if it's a problem since the max w supply for the gpu we get is 230w.

meh

alexyov1
04-07-2015, 09:38 PM
If you bought it from best buy it doesnt come with the backlit keyboard with the volume knob, just a plain old keyboard and mouse...

just received mine and it came with the nice keyboard and mouse, I got a wireless logitech so I won't be using those

alexyov1
04-07-2015, 09:40 PM
I am curious for those who mounted a EVGA ACX 2.0+ GPU cards, do they work well? or you still recommend a reference card.

I was looking at the FTW 960 2.0+ Model, it seems to draw a maximum of 235W, not sure if it's a problem since the max w supply for the gpu we get is 230w.

meh

the problem with non reference cards is the heat, with the reference card the heat will be pushed out to the back

adamsyes
04-08-2015, 04:40 PM
the problem with non reference cards is the heat, with the reference card the heat will be pushed out to the back

I figured, I mostly want the 0 db to be part of the g20. Fit's the whole G20 quiet/cooling settings nicely

sms
04-14-2015, 08:25 AM
Have 2 questions / requests

1. Would anyone post a step-by-step procedure on how to upgrade the Graphic Card?
2. Since installing a second 2.5" drive seems difficult and requires removing many parts, is it possible to swap the existing 3.5" SSHD drive with a 2.5" drive? Do I require a bracket for that ?

Appreciate any help I can get

Alright... Managed to disassemble and install the 2.5" SSD drive... Having another problem; unless I remove the power supply and and re-insert it, I can not start the system after shut down.. All I get is faint flashing led of the power button.

Anyone experienced something similar?

darktytanus
05-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Where can i buy the 230W adaptator please ? :) Because i can't found it on web ...

Ravenholme
05-07-2015, 03:11 PM
i'm not sure which version of the system you have but i have an SSD as primary (after booting without the original drive connected to power or sata) which switched the ssd to primary. having the old shdd cloned to the ssd helped with samsung evo 850's software. just remember to wipe the original drive so there's no conflict. as for your power issue that may be related to the 180w or 230w (if you don't have both) i had both when i bought it so the jumpers weren't changed.

nRock
05-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Hi guys, i am handy and stripped the G20AJ-DE028S. All the party now lying around me, but i can't find any place for a second SSD.
There is the DVD drive, the HD and the kingston SSD who took all the place and cable. Is there any possibility to add a second SSD ( third hard drive )?
I guess there is non. If, please could you upload a picture?

- If you ask me, why i want to add a second ssd/third hard drive, because i have it lying around and want to use it -

DeoNukem
05-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Hey guys,

I've run into a bit of a problem. My extra six pin adapter that came with my ROG20AJ was badly damaged by my puppy :grrrrr: I swear he chews everything lol. Is there anyplace where I can buy another one? Or do I need to contact ASUS support again. I've been trying to called them for the past two weeks without any luck. Their phone lines are always busy when I have the chance to call.

Everyplace I look online doesn't seem like it'll work; perhaps I'm wrong. Any help would be just awesome. I still have my GTX980 waiting in box.

GoHack
05-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Hi guys, i am handy and stripped the G20AJ-DE028S. All the party now lying around me, but i can't find any place for a second SSD.
There is the DVD drive, the HD and the kingston SSD who took all the place and cable. Is there any possibility to add a second SSD ( third hard drive )?
I guess there is non. If, please could you upload a picture?

- If you ask me, why i want to add a second ssd/third hard drive, because i have it lying around and want to use it -

You could replace your HD w/the second SSD, and RAID 0 them. The SSD has to be the same as the other one, and you will need an adapter to physically install the SSD into the mounting for the HD.

Ravenholme
05-12-2015, 09:42 PM
has anyone bit the bullet and tried to install the Titan X, i'm curious since the it has the pins (8/6) for it right?

GoHack
05-13-2015, 02:42 AM
has anyone bit the bullet and tried to install the Titan X, i'm curious since the it has the pins (8/6) for it right?

The Titan X requires too much power, 250W, which the Asus G20 can't supply.

The GeForce GTX 980 stock reference design, requires 165W, and is the fastest card that can run in the G20. I'm presently running a GeForce GTX 670 stock reference design, in mine, which requires 170W, and it runs just fine.

stevox85
05-13-2015, 08:58 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Delta-230W-AC-Adapter-for-ASUS-ROG-G750JZ-17FH-ADP-230EB-T-Gaming-Laptop-/201223314060?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

This is the one, when the guy tells you its wrong just tell him to sell it or you'll post a bad review :D

My 970 is working a treat, I may get a 980 if they are any better and put one in?

R4G31N6
05-16-2015, 08:50 AM
For those looking for the 230w power supply, I wouldn't recommend purchasing from eBay because there could be counterfeiters and such and aslo since the seller is trying to make money it is usually priced higher, but if someone here can find out for us, we can verify the quality.

Here is a link from Asus parts if ur in Europe http://www.asusparts.eu/Asus-0A001-00390000
Amazon europe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-0A001-00390000-Adapter-19-5V-power/dp/B00KDTV8TU#

G750jh is the notebook that used this power adapter before the g20 more info here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41021-Asus-eStore-has-G750JH-230w-AC-Power-Adapter-in-Stock

BTW there are others adapters like upbright and HP, that seem to say they are "supposedly" compatible but I would take the chance because one power outage could result in your video card fried or destroy your motherboard etc. Also for those of you looking for the 180w, I will find links for that as well

Alright guys Happy Upgrading
This Asus part number is ASUS 0A001-00390000 model Delta Electronics ADP-230EB T. N17908
http://www.deltaww.com/Products/CategoryListT1.aspx?CID=0201&PID=352&hl=en-US&Name=ADP-230EB%20T

UPDATE: As for the 180w adaper it is model ADP-180MB F, part number 0A001-00260400 and is manufactured by asus themselves
ASUS parts US: http://us.estore.asus.com/collections/ac-adapter/products/ac-adapter-0a001-00260400
Europe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-0A001-00260400-AC-adapter-watt-original/dp/B00UBDC0MC

lestye
05-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Hey guys I recnelty purchased a G20. Is there pictures/instructions on where to find a place to put an SSD? I see where the HDD is, but I don't see any slots on the motherboard (from the little that I can see) to place it.

ahdum3
05-19-2015, 11:27 PM
Which 980 model is that exactly? Evga? Asus? Please be specific. I am looking to upgrade my G20 soon!!!

ahdum3
05-19-2015, 11:36 PM
Also I just realized when I took the pic that the GPUs power supply supports up to 230 watts so as long as the GPUs max power draw does not exceed PSUs rating and it fits in its slot, your golden. Here is a pic of the GPU slot. 43919

Which GPU is this specifically? Please let me know!!!! Looking to upgrade my g20 soon. Thank you :)

R4G31N6
05-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Hey guys so I finally got the 230 power adapter (I got the i3 with gtx 745)
I am wondering which video card I should get and I am set on the 970 but asus has 3 different models and I don't which one I should get and also can some one help me with switching the jumper for the poweradapter thanks guys!

Mista
06-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Hello.

I want to buy the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked or EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked.

Have somebody try this Cards?

Ravenholme
06-12-2015, 03:52 PM
SC cards may suck more juice so a TI would most likely use more than 250w. I just received my PNY GTX 980ti today… i'll be installing it tonight and let you guys know how the power goes since my system has both he 180w & 230w psu. if you only have one of the PSUs then no it won't work.

Mista
06-12-2015, 04:08 PM
I have the 180w & 230w Version.

Please review :-) THX!!!

Armsdel
06-16-2015, 11:33 PM
So I've been reading this thread and decided to upgrade to a GTX 980 (I have the model with the 760).
After spending an eternity figuring out how to get to the graphics card, I come to find out that the motherboard has two PCIe connectors; a 6-pin and an 8-pin.
However, the GTX 960 utilizes two 6-pin cables, which I don't have. Does anyone have any idea where one can buy the proper cable?

Armsdel
06-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Never mind. Turns out I was born dumb ��

Lenny44b
06-17-2015, 01:14 AM
after reading this over and over for the past month or so my G20 finally died last night and is at best buy getting looked at. So I figured it was time to take that GTX 750 out because it cant run Witcher 3 unless i want to play it N64 style. So I'm on the search for a 980. Also do I need to up the ram and do anything additional? Sorry for such a stupid question, I'm just now getting away from the console world

newraze
06-18-2015, 05:06 AM
Do any of you think a amd radeon fury would work in the g20? Also would I be able to put a intel 4790k for overclocking purposes in the G20 without upgrading the cpu heatsink?

macxujian
06-19-2015, 05:22 AM
Hi brother.I met the same problem as you.I just got one 180w battery charge.I bought a 230w battery charge.But it not work.I think I need to swapthe jumper.What's worse I don't how to do that.If you could teach me?Preferably a picture or video.Thank you very much.

macxujian
06-19-2015, 05:46 AM
Hi.Brother.I met the same problem.But I could't find where the jumpers you said...The jumpers on the front or back of the motherboard?If you could teach me.Best to provide pictures or video.Thank you very much.

R4G31N6
06-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Hi brother.I met the same problem as you.I just got one 180w battery charge.I bought a 230w battery charge.But it not work.I think I need to swapthe jumper.What's worse I don't how to do that.If you could teach me?Preferably a picture or video.Thank you very much.

Instructions on switching the jumpers are available herehttps://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?67228-Successful-upgrade-How-to-set-the-jumpers!

safeskate
07-03-2015, 06:26 AM
i manged to get to same spot . i was wanting to remove original hdd and put ssd. I seen your location of secound ssd , byt i was wondering where is sata conection on motherborad to connect secound ssd?

Ravenholme
07-03-2015, 02:01 PM
theres a total of 3 SATA connections, one for the original 3.5" SHDD, another for the Optical Drive (DVD or Blu Ray Super Slim) and the 3rd is under the Optical drive to it's left. where the frame above it mounts the SSD. it's a pain in the butt to get in there because you have to remove the whole assembly. took me hours to figure it out, and still hard to do.

Simmons
07-06-2015, 07:45 PM
I have the Asus G20 AJ with the NVIDIA GTX 750. I usually play ARMA 3 and such but i'm getting terrible frames. I'm
considering getting a better Graphics card. Which Card would be the best fit considering i have a terrible power
supply which i'm also considering changing out. I understand this is highly technical stuff but i'm not much of a tech guru so if you could just point me in the right direction of someone that could do take my pc and switch out the parts i would greatly appreciate it.

What are some of the parts that i need to replace to make sure the new
Graphics card will be functional?

Ravenholme
07-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Ok so your system only has the 230W power adapter you need to get the Asus 180W PSU AC Adapter (the other plug socket on the back of the PC) to separately power the board (don't get some random one it has to be the Asus model or one specifically made for the G20AJ) then you can attach a GTX 980, you have to switch the jumpers as well (as shown in earlier posts by someone, or in this thread, I can't quite recall)

Also you have to pop out the outer cover's metal grill (on the inside directly positioned ontop of the graphics card when covered) where the new graphics card will suck in the air, the US009S doesn't have that because of the GTX760. the two lower versions do because those cards don't intake as much air.

So basically you need the 180W & the 230W to make the whole thing work. if you really want to spend more money then you can replace the 230W with the Dell Y90RR 330W AC Adapter PSU, BUT you will still need the 180W for the board's hardware. the 230w/330w in the proper setup is specifically setup just for the graphics card.

And as ive said before in other threads only reference type graphics cards will fit. Nvidia spec cards, OR cards that fit exactly 10.5" x 4.376" no bulging protruding anything, it's a snug fit. We can't fit a strix or any custom board cards because they're too tall or long.

Anyway to be safe stay with spec.

kickmonkey
07-11-2015, 08:44 AM
I hv bought gtx980sc from evga, first i broke the heat cover to remove it, than i install, it doesn't work even if the driver and every setting is ok. I am using the 230w gpu power adaptor, the screen just turn black...anyone help?

Ravenholme
07-11-2015, 01:31 PM
As I mentioned before, if you only have 1 ac adapter, only a 230w or only a 180w is gtx980 won't work, 1. You need to add the other ac adapter 2 you have to change the jumpers 3 then you can install the card (as long as you got a reference spec card

kickmonkey
07-12-2015, 12:29 AM
ihave both 180 and 230w adaptor, and i change the jumpers, the screen just dark, but system is working

Ravenholme
07-12-2015, 09:39 PM
well the only thing I can think of is do a fresh install of the NVidia drivers, make sure the PSU power cable is hooked up the card & board properly. check if the card & adapter are securely connected, not caught up on the LED wire that leads to the cover (I've experienced this initially when installing the 980ti)

kickmonkey
07-13-2015, 03:30 AM
thanks a lot,i do start my system today, and the 980sc just work for a few minutes, after that, the fan of the 980sc run full speed, and the system restart automatically

uponahorse
07-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Just thought this would be worth sharing...

I purchased a G20AJ-B09 over the weekend. I am very impressed with the way this machine is put together. As a friend put it, "Absolutely beautiful!"

I was successfully able to pull the GTX 760 and install a GTX 980 card. The GTX 980 only requires 165 Watts per Nvidia's website, so having the dedicated power supply for the graphics card is very nice!

Everything is so snug inside this case! It took awhile to figure out how to disassemble everything, but not too bad. Just patience, and a lot of observation. If I had done this back when the system was released, I would've made a video to upload and share, but not sure if this is still needed.

There were some issues with the power cables not matching(8pin cable for GTX 760, GTX 980 requires two 6pins), but after purchasing an additional power cable for the extra 6pin connector on the card, I was able to get everything hooked up. The included 8pin cable can be converted to a 6pin easily without any tools. The extra 6pin cable is plugged into an additional port on the mainboard adjacent to the 8pin connector, labeled 'GPU 6PIN'.

One other thing I noticed was the the included 2TB Hard drive is huge! It had caused problems with getting the graphics card power cabling to fit.

So I decided to replace it with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. This helped to provide more room for the GTX 980's power cables, and I think that it will reduce the amount of heat in the system overall.

Anyone adding an SSD in addition to the spinning disk would do well to remove the bracket that is meant for the SSD before trying to install. It should slide right in, and you can mount the bracket back into the case.

So... now with a SSD and GTX 980 this machine is screaming! Reboots are instantaneous. The machine is super-quiet, and it packs a 'stealthy' punch!

So far everything is running great.

Only issues observed thus far are waking up from sleep, but I believe that is related to drivers.

Ravenholme
07-15-2015, 04:45 AM
weird about the restart, maybe it's drawing more power than the system can handle, i'm not sure what the power draw is on the evga 980sc. it's possible the system is overheating? the CPU heatsink should stay in place, is it possible the 980sc's fan is pushing the hot air INTO the system intead of outputting it from the back (bracket)? I can only speculate as I Didn't purchase anything outside a reference spec card (no special custom cooling)

OverclockHunter2k15
07-16-2015, 12:29 AM
Hello everyone, new to the thread here. Anyway, i just happened to stumble upon a teardown because I've been stuck with this PC with a GTX 750, i5 processor, and 1 TB of HDD storage. I got this for Christmas for good grades and what not and I am 14, which may bewilder you a little. Although I was on a dumb iMac for quite a while, I've had experience building PC's a little and everyone in my household tends to ask me for help all the time.

Anyway, this teardown I've found on a website looks very promising, as this one individual happens to have upgraded to a 980. The only thing that ever worried me was the power supply since I wasn't so sure where that would go in terms of my plans, which is to go SSD, either a 970 or 960, and upgrade the processor. I've done most things besides swapping out a processor and I was wondering especially with this build how this would work. I'm so used to bigger computers and this compact design freaks me out a little since this is my only option

Here is the link - http://www.pcmarket.com.au/blog/upgrading-gpu-asus-rog-g20aj-gaming-desktop-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-video-card

XeonInside
07-25-2015, 03:36 AM
Yes, you can upgrade to a 4790k but the thing is it will run at 4.1GHz maximum enven if u choose the max turbo mode.

bloodyhell18
07-25-2015, 08:37 AM
why

dalton3450
07-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Hello all
I looked and have not found anyone that has changed out the stock harddrive and was hoping someone has or can help me out. I want to change the 1 tb with a 5 tb i have laying around.

Please any help would be great

dianebrat
07-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Hello all
I looked and have not found anyone that has changed out the stock harddrive and was hoping someone has or can help me out. I want to change the 1 tb with a 5 tb i have laying around.

Please any help would be great
Did you miss this thread I updated a few days ago?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?62949-Replacing-the-standard-HDD

It's not easy, but it's also not hard, just be careful.

bloodyhell18
07-25-2015, 08:50 PM
does the i7 4790k cock to 4.4 on the G20 with turbo boost

steele_22
07-25-2015, 09:38 PM
My 4790K hovers around 4300Mhz at all times on performance power setting.

steele_22
07-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Sorry for the awful picture

Simmons
07-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Ok so your system only has the 230W power adapter you need to get the Asus 180W PSU AC Adapter (the other plug socket on the back of the PC) to separately power the board (don't get some random one it has to be the Asus model or one specifically made for the G20AJ) then you can attach a GTX 980, you have to switch the jumpers as well (as shown in earlier posts by someone, or in this thread, I can't quite recall)

Also you have to pop out the outer cover's metal grill (on the inside directly positioned ontop of the graphics card when covered) where the new graphics card will suck in the air, the US009S doesn't have that because of the GTX760. the two lower versions do because those cards don't intake as much air.

So basically you need the 180W & the 230W to make the whole thing work. if you really want to spend more money then you can replace the 230W with the Dell Y90RR 330W AC Adapter PSU, BUT you will still need the 180W for the board's hardware. the 230w/330w in the proper setup is specifically setup just for the graphics card.

And as ive said before in other threads only reference type graphics cards will fit. Nvidia spec cards, OR cards that fit exactly 10.5" x 4.376" no bulging protruding anything, it's a snug fit. We can't fit a strix or any custom board cards because they're too tall or long.

Anyway to be safe stay with spec.

I already have that kind of external power supply for my computer. So would i be able to have an Invidia GTX 960? Keep in mind my G20 is the 2nd
best of the three. I currently have a GTX 750 with an Intel i5 and i get horrible frames on all games. it's a terrible set up and i feel like i got screwed with the price. I'm also pretty sure that they all come with this power supply. Could you link me the products i would have to buy to make this work? I would like to have a GTX 770 or 960 card

bloodyhell18
07-26-2015, 07:48 AM
does anyone know of any 5 gen cpu that will work in the Asus Rog G20AJ?

gdourado
07-26-2015, 03:05 PM
The G20 that says it comes with a hybrid drive of 1tb hdd and 32gb SSD, does it come with a separate 32gb 2.5 inch SSD?

Cheers!

dianebrat
07-26-2015, 04:25 PM
The G20 that says it comes with a hybrid drive of 1tb hdd and 32gb SSD, does it come with a separate 32gb 2.5 inch SSD?

Cheers! From that description you already have the answer, the 3.5" HDD is a hybrid with 32GB SSD cache built into it, there is not a separate SSD.

gdourado
07-26-2015, 04:42 PM
If I add my own ssd, can I set it as the boot device in bios and then clean install windows?

gdourado
07-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Also, is this what is needed to run a reference 980ti on a G20?
http://www.portatil-bateria.com/adaptador-dell-c-1/original-adaptador-cargador-dell-alienware-x51-i54430-330w-p-2726.html

dianebrat
07-26-2015, 06:21 PM
If I add my own ssd, can I set it as the boot device in bios and then clean install windows?Yes, just like any other system. You can get almost all of these answers from the existing threads on the forum.

Zmira
07-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Hey guys!

I have the G20Aj with the i7 and GTX980 in it. The 1TB HDD and the 128GB SSD. My question is if it's possible to swap out the 128GB SSD with a bigger one? I already have one lying around and would love to swap it out so I could have more space for games as I want all my games installed on to the faster drive. If it's possible, how should I go about doing this? Any tips/pictures are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

markboston
08-06-2015, 04:11 PM
if my g20 came with the big power brick that has two plugs one for system and other for card am i set? or do i need to get the second supply talked about in this thread?

Urzu_7
08-08-2015, 05:43 AM
if my g20 came with the big power brick that has two plugs one for system and other for card am i set? or do i need to get the second supply talked about in this thread?

Hey Mark, whats your PSU's power rating?

markboston
08-13-2015, 07:25 PM
no idea theres not one sticker or label on this thing. i finally had to contact asus and was told it was the higher rating. not the 180w but whatever the second power supply does. so theoretically i should be set?

markboston
08-13-2015, 07:30 PM
230w. couldn't remember.

Felcat
08-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Anyone have avg. temps for their GTX 980 running under full load? It usually sits idle at 43C for me and then stays steady at 80C while playing Wow, watching a strream and browsing. I do recall reading that the card has a 98 deg threshold but would rather play it safe. An I at decent temps?

Nadles
08-26-2015, 10:32 AM
For the 980 TI, which fits in the ROG G20AJ? I'm assuming only the reference design. I'll probably pick up the ASUS Reference design, but I figured I'd ask. Also, the model I have had the GTX 760, which the specs say it uses 2 X 6 connectors. But, I doubt that is what is in the case when I had a 6 Pin connector in the box.
If anyone can let me know which card I should order, and if it's really a 8/6 pin connectors inside, that would be great.

Thanks.

R1CHYR1CH1990
09-15-2015, 03:40 AM
I had given up all hope!
I defo know how to do this now for people who have a GPU powered by the 180 watt supply, I can tell you where to get the new PSU and talk you through how to go about doing this :D

My G20 came with the 750 card and 1 230 w psu would I need the 180 w also to upgrade to a 970 and can you hook me up with a link on where to find the 180 w psu model

kunitoki
10-02-2015, 03:36 PM
these are the specs for the 180w power supply.
Input: 100-240V, 50-60Hz
Output: 19V 9.5A (180W)
Connector tip:5.5mm ×2.5mm

search ebay for :
ASUS Power Supply Charger ADP-180HB D ADP-180EB D 19V 9.5A 180W

this is the one you want :)
im upgrading my g20 next week with this power supply and a palit gtx 960 reference as mine came with a gtx750.

happy upgrading !!!!

Staplezislife
10-04-2015, 02:52 PM
I had given up all hope!

Hey my g20 came with the 230w box but not the 180w I'm also interest and bumping up to a 970 I was wondering if you could send me a link to the power supply and graphics card you got that worked thanks

toot1231
10-18-2015, 07:22 AM
My friend bought a GTX 980 and I put it in the system fans were spinning but, we had no picture what so ever.
But when i hooked it into the integrated Intel HD we would have picture like normal.
Our setup was slightly different as we were using a 90w laptop style adapter for the small AC adapater slot and a 230w for the larger hook in.

So the question is, do we not have enough power or will the bios simply not let it work?

Here is a picture of the GPU - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-silver-black/9855141.p?id=1219441205886&

SynonymousYT
10-22-2015, 04:57 PM

Can you link me the gtx 980 you got, im new to pc and not sure if i need a certain one, i have the exact same pc as you

xXxLoliHunterxXx
10-23-2015, 03:46 PM
I just wanted to clarify something about the ssd upgrade.

Does the g20 already have the power and sata cables for installing an SSD inside? Or would I need to find/purchase those separately when doing an SSD install? Looking to put in a 240 kingston ssd this afternoon.

Ravenholme
10-23-2015, 04:46 PM
I don't think the system can use a 90W AC Adapter because it wasn't tuned to the system, besides if it didn't come with it, and you didn't adjust the jumpers it's not going to work. you need a 180W and a 230W (or the Dell 330W) my set up works but mine was the G20AJ with the GTX760 at the time, now it runs with a GTX 980ti.

dianebrat
10-23-2015, 04:59 PM
I just wanted to clarify something about the ssd upgrade.

Does the g20 already have the power and sata cables for installing an SSD inside? Or would I need to find/purchase those separately when doing an SSD install? Looking to put in a 240 kingston ssd this afternoon.The power line is already in the case, you'll need to add your own SATA data cable, but there's plenty of space for it if it's a bit long, just make sure one end has a 90 degree end to it.

xXxLoliHunterxXx
10-23-2015, 05:44 PM
The power line is already in the case, you'll need to add your own SATA data cable, but there's plenty of space for it if it's a bit long, just make sure one end has a 90 degree end to it.

Thanks for clarifying! I will give this a shot tonight.

xXxLoliHunterxXx
10-25-2015, 08:01 PM
The ssd job went without a hitch. I did run into some issues with my new Win 10 install though. Windows Update installed a Nvidia driver right away, and after that I couldn't stop the system from shutting itself down. I even had the system artifacting and shutting down trying to watch youtube videos... A clean install of Windows again and a quick install of the latest driver from Geforce.com before Windows Update could do damage and this system is rock solid after 3 hours of ArmA 3.

So just a heads up, if people are having GPU issues it's most likely driver related. The G20 seems really sensitive to drivers and probing the system. I know if you try to use SpeedFan to control the fan speeds, as soon as it opens it causes massive white and black artifacting and a full lockup, and that has nothing to do with video drivers.

I will be looking into getting a 980 eventually, but my 760 is enough for me for now as I use my 32" 720p tv for gaming.

Sebas00
10-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been following this thread for quite a while now. I'm looking to upgrade to 980Ti. Is it possible, and can someone recommend me the right card.

This is my current configuration:

ASUS G20AJ-US009S :

[Chassis/Case] ASUS ROG G20 Chassis
[Chassis Airflow / Fans] Stock Chassis Fans
[Advanced Cooling] Standard Factory Heat-Sink & Fan [Not Recommended for CPU Overclocking]
[Power Supply] 230W + 180W External AC Adapter
[Motherboard] ASUS H97 (H97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX, 2 SO-DIMMS, 1 PCIe Slot)
[Processor] Intel® Core i7-4790 (3.60-4.00GHz) (22nm, 8MB cache) (Quad-Core CPU) - Default
[Graphics Card - Single] SINGLE - NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 970 (4GB) GDDR5 (New - Maxwell Architecture) EVGA SuperClocked Edition w/ ACX Cooling
[Memory] 8GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-422P] (Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB SODIMMS)) – Default
[1st Hard Drive] 1TB 7200RPM [SATA III w/ 8GB Cache SSD] - Default (SKU - X5S393)
[2nd Hard Drive] No Secondary Hard Drive
[Optical Drive - Bay 1] Slim - 8x Super Multi DVDRW/CDRW Combo Drive
[External Optical Drive] No External DVD Drive
[Sound Card] Integrated Motherboard Audio
[Bluetooth] Bluetooth Included *With select wireless cards only* (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
[Networking] Integrated 802.11 AC WiFi Card + Bluetooth 4.0
[Operating System] WINDOWS 8.1 - 64-Bit (Pre-Installed)

Thank you
Sebastien

clarkdoh
11-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Hello I'm new to these forums and have a pretty serious concern. I installed 16gb of RAM, a 4790K cpu, intel 256 ssd, and a GTX 970 reference model from BestBuy. My RoG came with one psu which was the 230W, at first when i installed the 970 the computer wouldn't recognize the gpu. I got on this forum and read about the jumper and needing to "short the circuit" while also purchasing another psu which was the 180W one from amazon. I did mess with the jumper but I don't believe I did it correctly because of the random shut downs from lack of power. The problem I'm having is a Kernal power error and my computer is shutting down randomly in graphic intensive games, this is where my concern comes in because while my original psu (the 230W) is hot to the touch, my other ac adapter (the 180W) is as cold as an iceberg. I'm relatively new to building computers and messing with them so I believe I messed up something with the jumper, I can literally unplug my 180W adapter and my computer still runs leading me to believe that I'm only drawing power from one adapter. I read on here about the dell 330W adapter which seems like a very viable options but until I think that I'm drawing power from both adapters I don't want to invest anymore money into these ac adapters. Sorry if my terminology is wack for this forum but I really need the help. Any help is appreciated thank you!

xXxLoliHunterxXx
11-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Hey guys, have any of you ever had a problem with your CPU fans going to max speed and staying there under light load?

Sometimes, maybe twice a week, my CPU fans will jump to max speed and stay there while my system is totally idle. It never does this under load.

A suspend or restart fixes it, but it seems like a BIOS bug. I have the latest bios.

cbiala
11-10-2015, 11:44 PM
So here's my upgrade problem. I had the i5-4460/GTX 750 model, and I upgraded to an EVGA GTX 970 - everything worked with no issues. Then I upgraded to 16GB RAM and an i7-4790k - now, every so often, the power will just completely cut out for the 230W power brick when I'm playing a game. I have to unplug the brick from the wall in order to get it to switch back on again. During all of this though I discovered that if I unplug the 180W power brick, the computer still operates as normal... So does this mean everything is running off of my 230W supply alone?? And if so, how do I get it to take power from the 180W input? If anyone has any answers I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

I have the same g20 as you, with the GTX 750 and i5 cpu. I want to upgrade to a GTX 960, I was thinking maybe the EVGA 960 from best buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-geforce-gtx-960-2gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/4047283.p?id=1219618220101&skuId=4047283) will my current power supply work? I believe its the 230w since it only came with one. If not, I believe i need to order the 180w as a supplement (http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-G46VW-BHI5N43-G46VW-BSI5N06-G75VW-AS71-Notebook/dp/B00GDGXSVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447199170&sr=1-1&keywords=ASUS+Power+Supply+Charger+ADP-180HB+D+ADP-180EB+D+19V+9.5A+180W&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011), which is what I've learned from googling this numerous times. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm new to PC building. Thanks!

breedy69
11-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Hello
I have the g20aj it has 750 gtx i7 model i want to upgrade the GPU to gtx980 i am aware i will need another power supply as mine only came with this one
http://prntscr.com/96f2va is that the 230 watt one ? i need to know which model gtx 980 i can use and what is the other power supply i need please
Thanks guys

breedy69
11-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Hello I'm new to these forums and have a pretty serious concern. I installed 16gb of RAM, a 4790K cpu, intel 256 ssd, and a GTX 970 reference model from BestBuy. My RoG came with one psu which was the 230W, at first when i installed the 970 the computer wouldn't recognize the gpu. I got on this forum and read about the jumper and needing to "short the circuit" while also purchasing another psu which was the 180W one from amazon. I did mess with the jumper but I don't believe I did it correctly because of the random shut downs from lack of power. The problem I'm having is a Kernal power error and my computer is shutting down randomly in graphic intensive games, this is where my concern comes in because while my original psu (the 230W) is hot to the touch, my other ac adapter (the 180W) is as cold as an iceberg. I'm relatively new to building computers and messing with them so I believe I messed up something with the jumper, I can literally unplug my 180W adapter and my computer still runs leading me to believe that I'm only drawing power from one adapter. I read on here about the dell 330W adapter which seems like a very viable options but until I think that I'm drawing power from both adapters I don't want to invest anymore money into these ac adapters. Sorry if my terminology is wack for this forum but I really need the help. Any help is appreciated thank you!

hello mate have you set your jumpers as instructed here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?67228-Successful-upgrade-How-to-set-the-jumpers!

mateusz919
11-30-2015, 06:20 PM
hello someone knows where I can get cable 8 pin video card ??

kickass0075
12-06-2015, 07:01 AM
It does not void your whole warranty if you open the computer it only voids the part you upgraded.
For instance if you upgrade the graphic card (gpu) and the mother board dies later on and you still in the warranty period they will
replace the whole computer or the motherboard. but you would have to send the whole computer in ether way. make sure u keep all
the stock part because you would have to put them back in order for them to fix the problem.... unless u want to give away your
upgraded parts. I called asus and this is what they told me...
call for your self to see if they say the same thing ! :)

Btw i plan on upgrading my g20s
cpu to i7 4790
gpu to Evga 980
plane on making video :eek::cool:

kickass0075
12-06-2015, 07:03 AM
It does not void your whole warranty if you open the computer it only voids the part you upgraded.
For instance if you upgrade the graphic card (gpu) and the mother board dies later on and you still in the warranty period they will
replace the whole computer or the motherboard. but you would have to send the whole computer in ether way. make sure u keep all
the stock part because you would have to put them back in order for them to fix the problem.... unless u want to give away your
call for your self to see if they say the same thing !

cpu to i7 4790
gpu to Evga 980
plane on making video :cool:

kickass0075
12-06-2015, 07:12 AM
This just made my day! Which 980 did you put in it? There are many different variants to choose from.
My g20 only came with a single power brick so I need to try to find where to get the second one/double brick unit.
Did you need any other cables other than whats in the unit itself or that came with the card?
Finally did everything function when you put it back together?
Asus dont want us to upgrade with their hardware hence the repeated same answers of warranty being void etc. which is fair enough but I'm determined to upgrade my g20 :)

call for your self to see if they say the same thing !

cpu to i7 4790
gpu to Evga 980
plane on making video

Mariopedros
02-03-2016, 03:00 AM
I have problems with my wheel connected with usb to the G20aj, so am wondering if you can tell me what controls are used for the usb both front
and rear. Its not some common usb pci card? Asus support would not say. Thanks.

Dysternaut
02-11-2016, 10:24 AM
call for your self to see if they say the same thing ! :)

I have a case ongoing with Asus, regarding something else, and I asked the guy about this. He said that they DO offer continued warranty on computers that are upgraded IF it is a model designed for upgrading! The G20 IS NOT designed to be upgraded, so if you open it up, you void the warranty on the whole unit. So be warned!

Nunezshow
02-13-2016, 07:01 PM
I purchased a G20 just like everyone else here, it has a GTX 760 inside.... My G20 was an open box from BestBuy... I been having issues with the GTX 760, so BB said they would replace it with a GTX 970, however they are waiting to here back from Asus on a ^ pin power cable for the GTX 970.....

I was hoping someone here might have an idea on how I could just get one of these. If it was suppose to come with the computer it did not because it was an open box. I am going to continue searching online, but I barely know what it is I am even looking for as far as appearance, so any help at all is appreciated.

Thank you

Sick_G20
02-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Both the 760 and the 970 both use 2x6pin connectors. shouldn't need any cables, already in G20. I purchased the same model as you but not open box and it came with just an extra sata cable and extra 6 pin connector. Not sure why they included the extra 6 pin. If the geeksquad went to nvidia and compared the 2 cards they would see this. Unless your totally new to pc's or warrantee issue. I wouldn't let any of them near my pc. Also if they look on the actual box for the new 970 it says 2x6 pin pcie express supplementary power connectors. Geeksquad should be able to figure this out in seconds.

if by chance you do need a cable.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=ssl#q=6+pin+pcie+power+connector

waiting
03-05-2016, 12:48 AM
Hi, I would like to upgrade my g20aj memory to 16gb. I want to know whether I can use ddr4 memory or I have to use ddr3 memory. Can anyone answer my question?

dianebrat
03-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Hi, I would like to upgrade my g20aj memory to 16gb. I want to know whether I can use ddr4 memory or I have to use ddr3 memory. Can anyone answer my question?

Did you browse the forum? this is a common question and the answer is DDR3 1600 and there are more than a few threads dedicated just to memory.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81992-What-RAM-did-you-use-for-your-G20AJ-upgrade

Kovan
03-14-2016, 09:00 AM
how many of you guys have problem with this model?
i bought a used g20aj i7 and 970 from amazon for a cheap price, and now i'm not sure if it will stop working after few months

dianebrat
03-14-2016, 11:13 AM
They don't die like you're describing, plenty of folks have them running since they were originally released, there's no "massive numbers failures"
Where have you read anything suggesting a high failure rate? certainly not here which is where I'd expect to hear it first.

Kovan
03-14-2016, 11:17 AM
They don't die like you're describing, plenty of folks have them running since they were originally released, there's no "massive numbers failures"
Where have you read anything suggesting a high failure rate? certainly not here which is where I'd expect to hear it first.

i just found many bad reviews, (product stop working/blue screen etcc) i bought this one used (underpriced 700 usd on amazon warehouse), so i dont have original warranty,
i'm moving in another country soon and i want to bring the rog with me, but if something happens, it would be difficult to have repair it since i'm moving in a foreigner country

Ravenholme
03-17-2016, 06:57 PM
I've had my system for over a year, did some serious upgrading and replacing of parts, even from the get go. the system runs fine running a 980ti with the additional 330W PSU replacing the 230W. still have the 180W to power the board. as for repair that will depend on where you are.

Welsh Whoopee
03-26-2016, 09:40 AM
yeap the gtx 980 is cool, and I have loads of videos on how to replace all items in the Asus rog g20AJ on my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGPC00r4OKjIKWPseJAGvKyfPpV29l8ll

Magetank
06-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Do y'all think the new AMD RX 480 reference will fit and be compatible with it. Thinking about getting one because of the price.

mattfugatt.89
06-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Hi guys did anyone manage to upgrade there g20 and if so A. what GPU do i get, i have £170 to spend and B. what PSU do i need and where to get one from. Please help me choose haha

Ravenholme
06-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Hi guys did anyone manage to upgrade there g20 and if so A. what GPU do i get, i have £170 to spend and B. what PSU do i need and where to get one from. Please help me choose haha

Do you have both the 180W and 230W PSUs? if so you can run anything that is 175W & 180W. 250W cards would require you to swap out the 230W PSU with a 330W Dell Y90RR PSU. if you don't have both 180 & 230 you'll need to get one or the other, and adjust the jumpers in the board.

reference size is the only thing that fits.

Dimensions

Height: 4.376in - 111.15mm
Length: 10.5in - 266.7mm
Width: Dual Slot

mattfugatt.89
06-25-2016, 12:17 AM
Hay guys, I've just bought the evga gtx960 reference card to fit in my ROG G20AJ which already comes with the 230w power supply but I'm guessing I now need the 180w power supply, can someone please tell me what power supply I now need to get and where I can buy one from? Oh and would you suggest I buy the original Asus PSU or just buy a decent after market one. :D

Welsh Whoopee
06-30-2016, 08:47 AM
here is the link

• 180w power adapter (for those of you with just the 230w): https://goo.gl/IKO7lA

I installed the evga 980 into my system, a guide if handy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7wqh1yGLw

Welsh Gaming

kretzoo
09-19-2016, 02:43 AM
i have bought an asus rog g20aj but the person sold it without any cables. i bought a 180w power supply cable using my serial number from asus but windows says i do not have a nvidia gpu altough i have a geforce gtx 760 2gb along with i7 4790.
therefore i can not driver update it and actually i dont even know if its turned on. i browsed some forums here and came to realise i might also need the 230w power supply?!? or should i just change my 180 for the 230? will that be enough?
oh, and also the system is incredibily loud. i mean you can hear the fan from the other room. can this be because of the power supply?
ty for your help and sry if this is the wrong section or smth

chrimen
09-21-2016, 03:22 PM
i have bought an asus rog g20aj but the person sold it without any cables. i bought a 180w power supply cable using my serial number from asus but windows says i do not have a nvidia gpu altough i have a geforce gtx 760 2gb along with i7 4790.
therefore i can not driver update it and actually i dont even know if its turned on. i browsed some forums here and came to realise i might also need the 230w power supply?!? or should i just change my 180 for the 230? will that be enough?
oh, and also the system is incredibily loud. i mean you can hear the fan from the other room. can this be because of the power supply?
ty for your help and sry if this is the wrong section or smth

Yes with the 760 you need both power bricks. Otherwise it won't power the 760 GPU.
I wouldn't use it until I get the 230 post brick. I have had toys problem when I accidentally loosened the plug on the 230 power brick and the rig wasn't recognizing the 760.

kretzoo
10-13-2016, 10:01 PM
i have managed to buy both bricks and now it works, tnx.
now i fooled myself into installing win 8.1 on the 32 ssd but quickly realised there is no way i can manage to keep the ssd with enough space to work properly. (it soon reached close to capacity after win update)
i read some other guys suggesting to use the 32ssd as a cache disk and install the win and everything else on the 1tb hdd using raid instead of ahci in bios. sounds very tricky for me
any advice on how to do that or maybe other ideas? is caching really gonna make a difference or should i just forget about the 32gb ssd and use it for storage or smth?
tnx a lot

grayrock
10-19-2016, 03:22 PM
I just bought a G20AJ. I'm wanting to upgrade the GPU from the stock 750 to a GTX960, however the computer came with only one power supply (230Watt). Is this enough to install the GTX960 or do I have to have the second Power supply?
Thanks for any help!
Thomas

biobg
10-19-2016, 06:39 PM
You absolutely need both of them .... i have a 960 with my G20 AJ and even if this is a middle range GPU it draws some juice at boost clock speeds. Bare in mind that you will void the warranty if you open the case. I would upgrade other components in the same time to prevent further headaches

Cheers

grayrock
10-20-2016, 05:22 PM
You absolutely need both of them .... i have a 960 with my G20 AJ and even if this is a middle range GPU it draws some juice at boost clock speeds. Bare in mind that you will void the warranty if you open the case. I would upgrade other components in the same time to prevent further headaches

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. Since I have the 230 watt Power brick, I need to order the 180 watt power brick, correct?
Thanks!
Thomas

biobg
10-20-2016, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. Since I have the 230 watt Power brick, I need to order the 180 watt power brick, correct?
Thanks!
Thomas
Yeah exactly

grayrock
10-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Okay. I received my 180 w power brick today. I crack open the computer to remove the GTX 750 and noticed there is no 8 pin to 8 pin power connector. I have one but it's a dual 8 pin to 6/8pin and takes up too much space to install the video card. So now I'm off to try and find a 8 pin to 8pin power connector. Wish me luck.

FonzieBulldog
10-22-2016, 04:12 PM
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88190-GeForce-GTX-1080-on-Asus-ROG-G20CB/page2 :o

grayrock
10-22-2016, 06:54 PM
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88190-GeForce-GTX-1080-on-Asus-ROG-G20CB/page2 :o
Thanks for the reply. However that one is male to female. Need 8 pin male to 8 pin male. (My video card only has 1 8pin power connector. :) )