PDA

View Full Version : All the speculated issues of the G751?

Darnassus
12-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Hey there ROG'ers.

I myself am considering a G751. A 'JY' model to be exact, though as I trawl the forums about issues with the unit, I see things about the speakers having issues, Optimus having it's usual hiccups and so on so forth.

So, what are the usual issues we're seeing about the G751? I'd like to be informed so I can check before I purchase.

I might even gut it and show everyone it's insides like I did with the G750JX ;d

MokiCzech
12-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Hey man, I'll be happy to tell you some issues:

Left-side ports don't seem to be working with power-heavy stuff (like external HDDs). They work with mices and such though.
Keyboard layout is kinda weird (Steam button works for Big Mode, num lock is changed for custom key that opens ASUS Gaming Center etc.).
Sound only through subwoofer (that is not my problem but I see it on forums).
Bleeding blacks on screen (again, not my problem).

Overall I feel a bit disappointed considering how much this laptop costs. It performs well in games though, that's for sure, and cooling is awesome.

joshindaphils
12-07-2014, 12:37 PM
The way I see it there are a few random issues like any other electronics device ever made, the speaker balance issue, and the USB port issue.

The USB port issue has already been addressed with a BIOS update (v205) and I fully expect the speaker issue to be addressed in due time.

The build quality is nice, it has a more than decent IPS display I and others can drive at 100Hz, it is quite and cool. I personally am a very happy camper at this moment, the speakers work just fine and should only get better.

Everything else is subjective and you can evaluate if it should bother you with info in reviews and this site.

My only regret is that this is too much of a beast and I should of went with a 970m version and upped the RAM and SSD to my liking to save some pesos, I haven't played a game yet this box can't run with ease maxed out.

Also Optimus is not in use at all, it is a non issue unless for some reason you would rather have the restrictions and issues associated with Optimus over a little extra battery time.

Darnassus
12-07-2014, 02:18 PM
I see. So everything does work as intended thus far.. just some units are faulty and the global issue only being the audio, was fixed with a BIOS update.

As I understand it, the model is 100% working, with the occasional faulty unit. Please confirm.

joshindaphils
12-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I see. So everything does work as intended thus far.. just some units are faulty and the global issue only being the audio, was fixed with a BIOS update.

As I understand it, the model is 100% working, with the occasional faulty unit. Please confirm.

Perhaps I was not clear, the USB w/ HDD issue has been addressed via a BIOS update. The audio issue still persist though it is to being worked on by Asus at this time.

There are two fairly lengthy threads on the audio issue you can read for details; some consider it to be a huge issue worth economic reparation, and others like myself consider it minor though will be happy when the fix comes in. I would expect most all are fully unaware of the issue as the internal speakers work, however the sound should be of better quality.

Almost forgot thermal issues as well... addressed by the BIOS update as well.

Darnassus
12-07-2014, 03:10 PM
I see now. Does the "audio issue" persist though headphones and stereo systems? Or just the onboard speakers?

Also.. is the matte screen bad like the G750? Is it 'greasy' on whites?

joshindaphils
12-07-2014, 11:49 PM
I see now. Does the "audio issue" persist though headphones and stereo systems? Or just the onboard speakers?

Also.. is the matte screen bad like the G750? Is it 'greasy' on whites?

Nope headphone and speakers are just great. I haven't had the chance to test the S/PDIF optical out, but there is no reason to suspect issues there nor have I read on any. This is why I consider it a very minor issue, I use this laptop as a mobile workstation most of the time it sits on my desk hooked up to a pair or monitors. As well the two times I have moved it off my desk so far the internal speakers in there current state where more than adequate for my needs.

No quality issue on whites at all, read one report of bloom with white on black, I suspect vision issues or a bad panel.

Darnassus
12-08-2014, 03:09 AM
I see. And one more thing.. I notice the 140* view angle (absolute rubbish if you ask me, us gamers are square on with the screen.) Other than how it shows horizontally, does it also have the 'improved viewing angle' vertically?

You know, when you tilt the monitor back and forth, things look brighter at the bottom(so you tilt back), but darker at the top? (so you tilt forward)

EDIT: Never mind.. turns out the IPS is 100% spot on from vertical and horizontal, though the only drawback is IPS vs TN panel, the IPS has lower response time. Anyone know the ms latency in these screens? Motion Blur might not look so pretty..

Richdog
12-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Perhaps I was not clear, the USB w/ HDD issue has been addressed via a BIOS update. The audio issue still persist though it is to being worked on by Asus at this time.

There are two fairly lengthy threads on the audio issue you can read for details; some consider it to be a huge issue worth economic reparation, and others like myself consider it minor though will be happy when the fix comes in. I would expect most all are fully unaware of the issue as the internal speakers work, however the sound should be of better quality.

Almost forgot thermal issues as well... addressed by the BIOS update as well.

The USB issue has NOT been addressed, I have updated to 205 and still have the exact same USB issue, and so do others who posted in the main thread I created.

I see. And one more thing.. I notice the 140* view angle (absolute rubbish if you ask me, us gamers are square on with the screen.) Other than how it shows horizontally, does it also have the 'improved viewing angle' vertically?

You know, when you tilt the monitor back and forth, things look brighter at the bottom(so you tilt back), but darker at the top? (so you tilt forward)

EDIT: Never mind.. turns out the IPS is 100% spot on from vertical and horizontal, though the only drawback is IPS vs TN panel, the IPS has lower response time. Anyone know the ms latency in these screens? Motion Blur might not look so pretty..

No offence but all of the questions you are asking could be solved with around 5 minutes searching the forum, everything discussed in this thread has already been asked and answered, and there are large threads existing covering everything from open issues to screen response. It may be an idea to do a little research from your side also. :)

joshindaphils
12-08-2014, 11:56 AM
The USB issue has NOT been addressed, I have updated to 205 and still have the exact same USB issue, and so do others who posted in the main thread I created.

My apologies for the bad intel I had two drives that where affected that work great under load after 205 now. I had not been back to that forum after my remediation.

Darnassus
12-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Richdog sometimes I don't have the time to search on the forums, so I spend 1 minute making a post to ask and collect it into one area. There's no need to be hostile.. I'm not affecting you personally am I? ;x

Thank you though for now mentioning the USB issue is not fixed, you've actually saved me from making the order I was about to make this night.

Richdog
12-08-2014, 01:23 PM
I was not being even remotely hostile, just admittedly a little blunt, but you are asking questions that are clearly answered in several active threads on the first page of this section, so you are effectively asking people to spend their own valuable time re-writing what is already written. It would literally take you 10-15 minutes of your own research to answer the questions you posted, and if you have time to post repeatedly, then you have time to read a little too. :)

tjbc
12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
I think you may be slightly overly critical of the OP, since as you stated, the answers to all these questions are found "in several active threads", but as this thread was an attempt to summarize them all, I as a newcomer found it helpful.

Darnassus
12-09-2014, 03:23 AM
I think you may be slightly overly critical of the OP, since as you stated, the answers to all these questions are found "in several active threads", but as this thread was an attempt to summarize them all, I as a newcomer found it helpful.

Thank you! x'{

Now to hope something will fix the USB issue as I use the left side more than the right.

Darnassus
12-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Are the keys on the G751 the same model as the G750's? Plastic keys with tiny little tabs that easily snap off of the scissor? I've had three keys on my G750 break off and need to have the tabs be glued back on to put the key back on properly.

And this is after 9 months of use.