PDA

View Full Version : Battery in or not when plugged in ?

LoCk3d
12-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Hello, i have a G751JY and there is a big misunderstanding : When I use the laptop as a desktop (plugged), battery must be in laptop or out ? How is recommended for long battery life ? Also, when inserted or removing the battery, device must be off or make the tranzaction in hybernate mode ?

Sorry for my bad english. :(

Dr. Zchivago
12-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Leaving the battery in while the laptop's power supply is connected will result in small power cycles (I think it's on the order of a 5% - 7% discharge/charge every 20 minutes or so), which is perfectly natural.

For that reason, I like to disconnect my battery if I'm going to leave my laptop plugged in for long periods of time to prevent battery wear. I have noticed longer battery life as a result over the years - qualitative data only. My primary control has been my mother's and girlfriend's laptops, as they refuse to go through the inconvenience of removing their respective batteries (that was a joke, but the truth).

Z

andreacos92
12-07-2014, 01:00 PM
G751JY battery is NOT removable, so you have no choice :)

Dr. Zchivago
12-07-2014, 01:04 PM
G751JY battery is NOT removable, so you have no choice :)

I was unaware - my laptop is a G55VW.

Z

andreacos92
12-07-2014, 01:23 PM
I was unaware - my laptop is a G55VW.

Z

Don't worry. I replied to LoCk3d, who has G751JY :)

Darnassus
12-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Yep, sadly.. it's one solid plate on the underside, the only thing still removable is the hatch that gives access to the drive bays and ram.

LoCk3d
12-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the replies but is my mistake (bad keyboard), i have a JT, and my battery is removable. That's why I asked...

Darnassus
12-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Remove when powered off. Also store battery at 50% charge. Not 100.

LoCk3d
12-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Ok, thanks. And 2nd question? How make the tranzition?

Darnassus
12-07-2014, 03:58 PM
What do you mean transition? You can just pull the battery out if you want.. but I'd turn it off first, remove battery and store safely.. then boot up.

Just remember you will need to put the battery back in before you unplug if you are wanting to move in ON / Hibernate / Sleep mode.

LoCk3d
12-07-2014, 07:31 PM
That's what interested me, if I need to go urgently can put in the laptop without turn off.
Thank you verry much.

hmscott
12-08-2014, 03:26 AM
That's what interested me, if I need to go urgently can put in the laptop without turn off.
Thank you verry much.

LoCk3d, it's not a good idea to swap the battery in/out while the laptop is still running. It will pull an arc over the battery terminals at best, dirtying / degrading the connections over time, cause a power surge through the charging circuit / wall adapter that over time might cause it to fail, if it's not an expected /programmed scenario with the charging chip it might not react as expected - it might give up and shutdown.

There is a chance you will pull the AC power cable out while doing it losing your work, and you will look goofy balancing the laptop upside down while making sure not to pull out the AC cable, while trying to install the battery - you need 3 hands to do that safely.

You always want to shutdown the power draw from a power source, break the power flow / demand, before pulling cables - switches are designed to break the connection without pulling an arc as the metal connections are separated, the battery contacts aren't designed for that purpose.

When I have done it in the past, I have tried sleeping the laptop - works for about 10-30 second while swapping the battery on some laptops, try it first with non-essential files open, Better is to use Hibernation - but then you have that huge hiberfil.sys file on the boot drive - which with a small SSD is going to be painful, I run with hibernation disabled and pagefile disabled to recovery space back to the C partition.

Best is to shutdown Windows, pull the AC power cable from the laptop, and then do the battery swap.

LoCk3d
12-08-2014, 09:22 AM
I know it's not the best idea, but that's only if I really have to go, maybe 1 times at 1-2 month.

hmscott
12-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I know it's not the best idea, but that's only if I really have to go, maybe 1 times at 1-2 month.

LoCk3d, I would go so far as to say it is a bad idea :)

If it is only 1 or 2 times a month, surely you can wait for 30 seconds to 2 minutes while the laptop hibernates or shuts down?

Look at your battery contacts during the first few times to see if you see dark scoring from the flash of the arc on the battery contacts - on the battery and on the laptop.

While plugged in to AC and charging the battery current is flowing, if you are going to remove the battery live while the computer is running and powered on AC, at least wait until the battery icon says Not Charging, then no current will be flowing into the battery when you pull it and it breaks contact with the laptop battery connector pins.

If you are swapping batteries to charge another battery that's ok, but if you are removing the battery to run on AC only, to "preserve the battery" you are wasting your time and effort.

The battery is perfectly happy under the control of the laptop battery circuit, you don't need to remove it. Leaving the battery on the shelf without any load or conditioning is likely worse for the battery than keeping it in the laptop being monitored and charged/discharged for optimal condition.

Please come back and let us know what you find :)

hmscott
12-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Hello, i have a G751JY and there is a big misunderstanding : When I use the laptop as a desktop (plugged), battery must be in laptop or out ? How is recommended for long battery life ? Also, when inserted or removing the battery, device must be off or make the tranzaction in hybernate mode ?
Sorry for my bad english. :(

Thanks for the replies but is my mistake (bad keyboard), i have a JT, and my battery is removable. That's why I asked...

LoCk3d, neither the G751JY nor the G751JT have removable batteries, look at the bottom of this article / gallery:

G751 Upgrade Guide
http://rog.asus.com/375732014/g-series-gaming-laptops/gallery-g751-upgrade-guide/

The battery is non-removable and integrated into the chassis:

LoCk3d
12-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Strange, i saw some reviews how removing the battery... At the moment I have not the laptop, I'm from Romania, and providers get really hard. In 15.12.2014 will come transport. I wanted to know before how to use it. Thanks to clarify. :(