PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my ASUS ROG G46V

viki86
12-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Hey guys,

I bought an ASUS ROG G46V last year and it has been doing great since. My games run well and never had issues with the machine.

So now, I am thinking of upgrading my G46V. Currently I have 8 GB RAM and 1TB HD with 8 GB SSD (they said my machine had 8 GB SSD but I never figured out where the hell it is.) So I want to add another 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of SSD with the hope that it will really boost up my system performance and I don't have to buy a new laptop. I mean I would spend something like $300 and my machine will have double the RAM and a SSD.

I really have no experience with changing parts on my laptop and not even sure if it is worth it.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is it worth upgrading the system RAM and SSD to boost performance for playing games?

2. Can I add just 8 GB RAM and keep using the current 8 GB RAM, giving me a total of 16 GB RAM or do I have to remove the current RAM and buy new 16 GB RAM?

3. BestBuy advertised 8 GB SSD when I bought this laptop. So if I buy SSD, would there be a slot inside to put it?

Clintlgm
12-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Hey guys,

I bought an ASUS ROG G46V last year and it has been doing great since. My games run well and never had issues with the machine.

So now, I am thinking of upgrading my G46V. Currently I have 8 GB RAM and 1TB HD with 8 GB SSD (they said my machine had 8 GB SSD but I never figured out where the hell it is.) So I want to add another 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of SSD with the hope that it will really boost up my system performance and I don't have to buy a new laptop. I mean I would spend something like $300 and my machine will have double the RAM and a SSD.

I really have no experience with changing parts on my laptop and not even sure if it is worth it.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is it worth upgrading the system RAM and SSD to boost performance for playing games?

2. Can I add just 8 GB RAM and keep using the current 8 GB RAM, giving me a total of 16 GB RAM or do I have to remove the current RAM and buy new 16 GB RAM?

3. BestBuy advertised 8 GB SSD when I bought this laptop. So if I buy SSD, would there be a slot inside to put it?

Well if you have 8 GB of ram now, * more won't make much difference for Gaming.
your Hard drive is most likely a 1 TB Hybrid with 8 GB of Cache SSD. So if you change out your hard drive you should consider whether 256 GB is enough for your. there is only room for 1 hard drive in there.

jacobssn
12-08-2014, 11:37 AM
@viki86
You would most likely experience faster loading times in games, but your OS should boot pretty fast with your current hybrid drive?
There is only room one 2.5" SATA in the system.

However, there is actually room for a mSATA drive on the backside of your mobo, this requires full disassemble of your system and if you are careful you wont void your warranty since the only sticker I found was on the CPU (1 of the 4 screws, this doesn't concern you).

I had a 256GB mSATA full size in there for a long while (worked great) @RAID 0, had to skip one overlaying screw of the mobo since it designed to only host half sized mSATA modules (these are expensive compared). This is not recommended if you're not good with assembling/disassembling laptops though.

Regarding memory:
I'd is advised to match your ram modules with the same model and brand. Look at the specs of your 8GB module and see if you can get another one for a reasonable price.

I hope this helped you somewhat!

viki86
12-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Well if you have 8 GB of ram now, * more won't make much difference for Gaming.
your Hard drive is most likely a 1 TB Hybrid with 8 GB of Cache SSD. So if you change out your hard drive you should consider whether 256 GB is enough for your. there is only room for 1 hard drive in there.

So I have to remove my Hard Drive and replace it with a SSD? Well, if that's the case, I would have to go for something like 500 GB minimum.

@jacobssn

Yes, my OS loads almost in a flash.

As Clintlgm said, does improving the RAM would improve performance? I mean I'm unsure if modern games would really eat all 8 GB of RAM I currently have. I wonder if the bottle neck is the GPU or the HD and not the RAM.