PDA

View Full Version : What are your lowest undervolt settings for the 4700hq cpu?

Wulff
12-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Hello there,

As i was toying around with intel XTU i read on the NBR site that ppl managed to get a -100mV for their 4700hq cpu. i tried this myself and set it at -91 here and ran the stress test for 5 mins and it passed :) had the settings at -51 before orso. Will try it when gam,ing with these settings but -91 is just awesome !!

hmscott
12-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Hello there,

As i was toying around with intel XTU i read on the NBR site that ppl managed to get a -100mV for their 4700hq cpu. i tried this myself and set it at -91 here and ran the stress test for 5 mins and it passed :) had the settings at -51 before orso. Will try it when gam,ing with these settings but -91 is just awesome !!

Wulff, there are 2 settings, one for the CPU and one for the CPU cache, I set both to the same value.

The setting is CPU dependent, each CPU is unique. My G750JW did -125mV right out of the box, my G750JX did -75mV, and my G750JH only did -20mV - now it is stable at -45mV, but it took months of regularly increasing it a little at a time to get there. I almost have it to -50mV, but it BSOD's within a couple of hours, so I will run on -45mV for a while before trying again :)

FYI, even when it passes stress tests, and normal usage, where it fails near the edge of stability is when it hits idle. Mine is just sitting there, or playing a video, and it BSOD's.

Too bad we don't have the usual ROG BIOS and Windows tools for OC'ing, then we could try out some +voltage offsets :)

Wulff
12-08-2014, 04:37 PM
ha, yeah i sometimes miss those days here as well when i had a desktop as well . I ran my 4700hq cpu no problem on -51 since i have it but i wanted to try and see how low it could go, seems you are right that the test pass didnt mean anything, when i got back home laptop was turned off due to a to low setting.

so im back at -51 for now but will investigate further to see how far it will go, even with this -51 setting the highest core temp is around 42-43 degrees C wich is pretty low for me. lowest core temp is 33

Darnassus
12-10-2014, 03:49 AM
-70mv here on both.

Multipliers max.

ZiggZagg
12-13-2014, 01:11 AM
What sort of temps do you get Darnassus and in what sitruation... gaming, word process., net surfing?

Thanks,
ZZ

Darnassus
12-15-2014, 07:02 PM
What sort of temps do you get Darnassus and in what sitruation... gaming, word process., net surfing?

Thanks,
ZZ

I can't give you a real proper reading as I need to repaste. Though once I do, I'll do a bench.

( My last paste was done incorrectly, I put a liiiiiiittle too much on. ;d )

My old scores during stress tests I believe was 73*C on the CPU during gaming. Web Surfing, jeeze umm.. 35? Right now it's 40. I'm running quite a bit of java.

When it comes to idle temps though, I believe ambient temperatures play a big role, right now it's roughly 22*C ambiance?

The temperatures indeed go DOWN when you undervolt, between 2-8*C I dare say. I can't give you anything accurate as there's many variables such as:

1: Paste Job quality
2: Ambient Temperature
3: What you're actually running to gauge your temps for 'web browsing'
4: Thermal Probe inconsistency / imbalance.
5: Background process / programs
6: How long you've had the unit (laptop)
7: If you've no more cookies to give to me om nom
8: Your living conditions ( Your heat sinks may be blocked full with dust faster or slower than mine.

But yes, roughly.. web browsing I'd assume anything under 55 is good. And for gaming, anything under 78. 80 is a warning zone in my opinion, 85 is bad.. 90 is an RMA. Of course the system can handle up to 100*C and above.. but that's not something to be comfortable with.

My advice; stay under 80.