PDA

View Full Version : Two days after purchasing G751JM

Paco
12-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Day 1: Dead or frozen, sleepy or lazy or whatever pixel. Tiny green dot only visible on black screen. Speaker problem detected. Tried temp fix which worked ..... but sounded ****. Tried fixing it myself (bad idea) ... lost sound completely. Downloaded Realtek drivers from Asus support and got sound back ........ but now the temp fix does not work (no "other speakers" visible). Used System Recovery - that didn't do anything .....other than make me very tired lol.

Day 2: Tried to wake up the sleeping pixel using jscreen. No use he was completely out of it..... don't think he's coming back. But ok I mean how many times do you look at a pitch black screen (other than on the ROG forum lol). Ok so on we go.....I check the the battery icon on the bottom right on the screen and it says "97% connected not loading." I think cool its some Asus tool not to overheat the battery while plugged in all the time .... I was wrong. I pulled out the power cord and let it run on the battery for a couple of mins. Popped the cord back in and it said "96% connected not loading." The battery indicator under the touch screen has stayed green throughout.
Oh and I forgot to mention that a few mins after I noticed the problem I got a message saying system would have to reboot due to Power Driver Failure (or something like that). Checked just about every driver known to man and they were all up to date.

Still have not managed to play a game or even watch a movie as I want to fix the speakers first at least.

Day 3: I really hope there will be no more surprises .... at least before I get the current issues fixed. The amazing thing is though that I still love this laptop, despite all the problems. Its like the Maserati of the computerworld.

hmscott
12-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Paco, that's the right attitude, enjoy what is working :)

The Battery charging thing is mysterious, but that is how it works. It decides when to charge, and simply unplugging for a few minutes, and plugging it back in won't be enough to force it to start charging.

The battery icon saying "plugged in, not charging" happens anywhere from 94% to 100%, at least by my observations. Here is how it looks for me right now:

So, you would need to leave it on battery down to around 92% to have it charge right away upon reconnecting. But, sometimes it waits too, to allow the battery to cool down after discharging for a few minutes.

The "Power Driver Failure" => Driver_Power_State_Failure sounds related, but it is something else. I have already done this fix to my Windows 8.1, done right after upgrade, disable Fast Boot, Sleep, Hibernate and I also disable the pagefile (set it to zero) - saves me 64GB on the C partition for the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys, and stops this occasional crash.

This video shows how, starting at 1:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiAbYY9U998

I hope massaging the pixel brings it back...

Sometimes they just fix themselves after a few days/weeks, I had a Dell IPS like that, one day they were just gone :)

There is one other thing the Driver_Power_State_Failure might be, after playing with the DC power cord in / out of the laptop. Some people have said that their AC Power Adapter goes to sleep after pulling out the DC power cable from the laptop - and it doesn't work after plugging it back in to the laptop, unless they unplug their Power Adapter from the wall socket... and then plug it back in. You might check that out too.

Paco
12-08-2014, 09:43 PM
strange they did not explain how the battery works in the manual. But then again they did send me an email in Chinese ..... so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. thanks for the info

hmscott
12-08-2014, 09:52 PM
strange they did not explain how the battery works in the manual. But then again they did send me an email in Chinese ..... so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. thanks for the info

Paco, it's all part of the expertise gained over years of battery charging management, all rolled up into a smart chip that controls the charging based on sensors looking at how the battery is reacting to discharge/charge along with temperature and some historical data - I haven't looked at one of these new charging controllers in depth, but it apparently does a good enough job now conditioning the battery without removing it that Asus thinks it can seal up the battery and make it non-removable :)

Paco
12-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Update Day 3: Everything now working now apart from the speakers - using headphones for now. It took me 2 days to download and tweet everything .... a lot of searching on the Internet. But now that I have played some games and watched some movies I can confirm that this laptop is AWSOME. I am so glad I didn't get the Lenovo with the fake heating vents at the rear. I knew the cooling on this laptop was going to be good but it is PHENOMENAL I dont think the fans have come on once (at least all I can hear is the faint sound of the hard drive..... the air coming out of the heating vents is COOL .... and this is after 3 days of continuous use (10 hrs non stop every day) - its really amazing.

romantico3pe
12-09-2014, 04:26 AM
The "Power Driver Failure" blue screen is related to NVidia optimus and all asus with 860 gpus have this problem; about the stuck pixel that's a personal decision, if you don't care about it just keep the laptop, myself personally will not keep any device with a dead or stuck pixel because I paid so much for something that should be perfect.

hmscott
12-09-2014, 05:38 AM
The "Power Driver Failure" blue screen is related to NVidia optimus and all asus with 860 gpus have this problem; about the stuck pixel that's a personal decision, if you don't care about it just keep the laptop, myself personally will not keep any device with a dead or stuck pixel because I paid so much for something that should be perfect.

romantico3pe, good catch, it's sad that all 860m's seem to have the same problem.

Paco, the 860m's, G750JM, G551JM, G751JM, any other Asus 860m's?, all have problems with Nvidia drivers past 332.60, until about 344.11 - with 344.75 being the best so far. I read someone that tried the 344.80 had problems, so heads up. Always do a Nvidia Custom Install => check the Clean Install box - for all Nvidia driver installs to clean out the previous Nvidia driver files completely.

Help..new G750JM after geforce experience update to 2.1 >>>BSOD
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help-new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2-1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD

And, BTW, turning off Hibernation, Fast Boot, and paging file are still a good idea :)

Have fun!