PDA

View Full Version : How much configuration difference is possible between retailers?

tjbc
12-08-2014, 11:12 PM
I'm kinda new to this scene and am wondering how exactly it works. Apparently Asus sells the laptops to the retailers, and then the retailers sell them to the public, so my question is, what is the basic unit that Asus delivers to them, does it even have a hard drive in it? The reason I ask is that from what I can tell, the Amazon G751JY-DH71 has a 256GB PCIE SSD, whereas the XoticPC ASUS G751JY-DH71 has a 256GB SATA SSD. So what I am asking is, does Asus deliver them to the retailer without an SSD and the retailer gets to decide what to put in it as long as it corresponds to the 256GB SSD description that Asus gives to the unit?

tjbc
12-08-2014, 11:18 PM
And the oddest thing to me about it is that XoticPC offers so very many upcharge opportunities in so many areas, but they don't offer PCIe SSD's as an option at all.

hmscott
12-08-2014, 11:39 PM
And the oddest thing to me about it is that XoticPC offers so very many upcharge opportunities in so many areas, but they don't offer PCIe SSD's as an option at all.

tjbc, have you done business with them before, is that why you are trying to work with them? They had mSATA listed for the JY upon release, and still have the mSATA choices for the G751JY, they list M.2 mSATA parts with part numbers that can be M.2 or mSATA parts, here is an example:

ASUS G751JY-DH72X
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g751jydh72x-p-7608.html?wconfigure=yes

mSATA Option: Operating System Installed [Default] w/ mSATA(s) selected below
mSATA Option: Caching w/ mSATA(s) selected below ( + 0 )

512GB Solid State Drive [M.2] mSATA - Stock
512GB Crucial M550 Solid State Drive [M.2] mSATA (Read 550MB/s - Write 500MB/s) ( + 299 )
512GB ADATA Solid State Drive [M.2] mSATA (Read 550MB/s - Write 530MB/s) ( + 309 )
512GB Samsung PM851 Solid State Drive [M.2] mSATA (Read 540MB/s - Write 365MB/s) ( + 359 )

It looks like they include the M.2 PCIE 512GB SSD - they call it M.2 mSATA - Stock

BTW, Asus has been installing the Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 PCIE SSD, which is the fastest M.2 PCIE SSD, the others listed are slower. So they are charging you +359 for the slower PM851...and the PM851 can't be installed in the G751JY, as it's an M.2 SATA part, not a M.2 PCIE part. Weird they would get that wrong.

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/oem-solutions/pdfs/PM851-SSD-ProdOverview.pdf?v=1

Maybe order the stock unit from another vendor, or better yet, find a local shop that sells Asus ROG laptops and ask them to order the one you want, that is what I do. That way you build up a relationship with local people you can meet face to face, and that helps both you and the seller over time.

Good luck!

And, please come back and let us know what you end up getting :)

tjbc
12-09-2014, 12:04 AM
"It looks like they include the M.2 PCIE 512GB SSD - they call it M.2 mSATA"

I'm so confused, I haven't researched buying a laptop in over 8 years and everything is new to me, I thought there was a difference between mSATA and PCIe, based on what I read here: http://rog.asus.com/308552014/labels/guides/ssd-guide-pci-express-m-2-msata-and-sata-express-the-differences-explained/, which says that mSATA is limited to SATA III speeds of 6Gbit/s whereas PCIe can reach 10Gbit/s. Why would they call it mSATA if it is actually PCIe?

tjbc
12-09-2014, 12:09 AM
And to answer your question, I have not dealt with them before, just curious about how things work, and they seemed to provide an interesting alternative to the other retailers, but I am wary they may be cutting corners. As far as I know there are no local retailers in my area that actually have these machines or know anything about them, I will have to order on-line if I decide to buy, which is one of the reasons I am being so cautious before ordering, if I had someone I could talk to face to face I would feel much more confident in getting a fair deal.

hmscott
12-09-2014, 12:11 AM
"It looks like they include the M.2 PCIE 512GB SSD - they call it M.2 mSATA"

I'm so confused, I haven't researched buying a laptop in over 8 years and everything is new to me, I thought there was a difference between mSATA and PCIe, based on what I read here: http://rog.asus.com/308552014/labels/guides/ssd-guide-pci-express-m-2-msata-and-sata-express-the-differences-explained/, which says that mSATA is limited to SATA III speeds of 6Gbit/s whereas PCIe can reach 10Gbit/s. Why would they call it mSATA if it is actually PCIe?

tjbc, they got it wrong, I updated my post above with a link to a pdf that shows the PM851 is available as an mSATA and an M.2 SATA part - and the G751 uses M.2 PCIE x4 parts, like the Samsung XP941.

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/oem-solutions/pdfs/PM851-SSD-ProdOverview.pdf?v=1

I don't know what to say, XoticPC has been around a long time, IDK why they would stuff up a hot new laptop listing like the G751, and still not have fixed it more than a month later.

Like I said, unless you have worked with them before, you might want to go to a site with the ordering information correct so you are sure what you are getting.

The stock M.2 PCIE x4 Samsung XP941 512GB SSD is already the best, and that config comes with enough memory and disk in the stock configuration, and that is sold lots of places.

Was there something in particular you wanted to customize?

tjbc
12-09-2014, 12:26 AM
The only reason I considered them is kind've a long story but I'll try to make it short. I originally wanted to buy the G751JT-CH71 (which comes with a 1TB HDD as the primary) and then install my own PCIe SSD as the primary and move the HDD to the secondary slot, but after reading about all the problems people have had, from trying to clone the HDD to trying to create their own mounting brackets for the PCIe, I decided to see if there was a retailer who could do that for me, and lo and behold, I found XoticPC, and had a chat with one of their representatives, who assured me that they could mount any M.2 SSD with a custom made bracket cause they are special like that 44004.

hmscott
12-09-2014, 12:34 AM
The only reason I considered them is kind've a long story but I'll try to make it short. I originally wanted to buy the G751JT-CH71 (which comes with a 1TB HDD as the primary) and then install my own PCIe SSD as the primary and move the HDD to the secondary slot, but after reading about all the problems people have had, from trying to clone the HDD to trying to create their own mounting brackets for the PCIe, I decided to see if there was a retailer who could do that for me, and lo and behold, I found XoticPC, and had a chat with one of their representatives, who assured me that they could mount any M.2 SSD with a custom made bracket cause they are special like that 44004.

tjbc, we have been told there aren't any individual M.2 brackets for sale outside the ones shipped with the M.2 PCIE SSD equipped laptops. But, a dealer like XoticPC can get what they need by moving things around as they customize laptops. Maybe someone doesn't want an M.2 PCIE, I don't see that option in their configuration - leaving off the M.2 PCIE - but maybe they can order them individually, who knows.

All I know is that the XP941 isn't cheap on it's own, so I don't think you are saving money by buying a cheaper configuration and adding parts yourself, especially when ordering from a custom specialty dealer, usually the people that buy from them are going to not worry about the $, and just bulk it up with all the options available - spending way more than the stock build.

If it is a matter of not having the $ to get everything at once, then sure, buy the lowest end configuration you can get with the 980m, and add parts later. Mounting the extremely light M.2 PCIE SSD in that bay isn't going to be tough. Some foam underneath and a piece of duct tape over the end, done cleanly, will last until Asus starts selling the part out of their estore like the 2.5" caddy, and if that is never, then you can order it off of Ebay from a dead G751 that got parted out :)

Don't let the bracket availability dictate where you get your laptop, it isn't that big of a deal.

Do some more hunting around, and check your budget. Even the M.2 PCIE x4 256GB will be big enough for now, save for the 1TB M.2 PCIE x4's when they come out.

Have fun, and let us know what you end up getting, and where :)

toronto699
12-09-2014, 02:24 AM
I was going to order a G751-JY-DH72X from Xoticpc , they had wrong info and were a little confused when I talked to them , instead I ordered my first G751-JY-DH72X from
http://www.hidevolution.com/new-laptops/asus-g751jy-dh72x-i7-4860hq-4gb-nvidia-gtx-980m-17-3.html
and im glad I did very happy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232204&cm_re=asus_g751-_-34-232-204-_-Product newegg had the G751-JY-DH72X on sale last week for 2699$ today its 200$ more
the 1TB M.2 PCIE x4's should be available in the first quarter of 2015

hmscott
12-09-2014, 06:23 AM
..As far as I know there are no local retailers in my area that actually have these machines or know anything about them, I will have to order on-line if I decide to buy, which is one of the reasons I am being so cautious before ordering, if I had someone I could talk to face to face I would feel much more confident in getting a fair deal.

tjbc, Fry's Electronics, BestBuy, Microcenter, and specialty PC parts suppliers will order for you if you ask nicely, and keep showing up to confirm the order is going through.

These days the high end laptops all sell out quickly, and those dealers are hesitant to get stuck with stock when the mood / inventory models change.

It's more likely they will stock the few Asus configurations in the lower ranks, but they can order the high end models if requested. That is how I do it, make friends with the brick and mortar guys - and buy as much as I can through them as makes sense most of the time - and when I need to special order something they know me and will follow through on completing a special order.

Ask around and see if you can find somewhere to go within driving distance in your area. You may need to drive around to find them, and get to know them, but it is worth it in the long run. My first Asus was bought from a small Asus specialty shop, next to my favorite BBQ place, it took several trips before I noticed the Asus ROG logo in the window, so keep your eyes open for it.

You also might try calling Asus Support for your region, and ask what authorized sales locations there are in your area. Try PM'ing cl-albert and see if he can hook you up with some names / locations close to you.

tjbc
12-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Ok, thanks for all the input, I'll give it a shot!