PDA

View Full Version : G74S & HDCP Complaint

Braz9
10-31-2011, 02:03 AM
I am not sure if I have a problem or not but I thought I would ask.

I am having trouble running a progam on the laptop and everything I have read and been told is the display on the laptop is not HDCP complaint. Forgive me but I do not know that much about HDCP other than it is a digital copywrite thing.

My questions are: 1. How can you tell if the display is HDCP ready?
2. If it is not HDCP ready, can it be fixed?

Yahooligan
10-31-2011, 04:29 AM
The HDCP status only applies to external monitors connected via the HDMI or VGA port, the display is native to the laptop and HDCP doesn't apply so you shouldn't have HDCP issues displaying on the built-in display.

Braz9
10-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Hmmm, that is what I thoguht also but I have had different people on two different forums tell me it probably has to do with the internal display. I am trying to run a program called Directv2PC which is made by CyberLink. I can watch programs through the application if I use the HDMI or VGA out, but if I try to watch the programs on the laptop display it errors out and says it is not supported. I have had this happen on 2 different laptop brands. Both have had the 1920x1080 screens. The only laptop I have been able to get this program to work with is an ASUS with a 1600x900 screen. Also all the video cards have ben GTX 560M.

Just really confused why this will not work on this laptop.

Yahooligan
11-01-2011, 07:12 AM
It appears the actual problem is that the DirecTV2PC app (I've used this previously when I had DirecTV) and the HDCP check do actively check for HDCP-compliant devices and can't tell the difference between an internal display and an external device. The internal display actually has NO HDCP status and no status is assumed to be non-compliant.

This isn't necessarily a problem with the display or the laptop, but the lameness of HDCP. HDCP only applies to high-def display/capture devices, which may explain why it works at 1600x900 as that is not "full resolution" when compared to the content's format. HDCP doesn't prevent you from displaying content on non-compliant devices, you just can't display at "full resolution" unless the device is HDCP-compliant.

FWIW, this has been a problem/complaint about DirecTV2PC for 2+ years.

Braz9
11-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the info and help. I was jsut really confused that it worked on the other laptops and not my current one.

I guess I will just keep waiting to see if this ever gets corrected.