PDA

View Full Version : Fan issues?

jake bindon
12-11-2014, 04:34 AM
asus g550jk fans never seem to run unless done through asus gpu tweak ( when select fans to run at full speed) i know its done by temperature but I am getting temps of cpu 60-70 degrees and gpu of 70-80 and no fan noise. looked through forums for a long time but finally decided that I should post this to see if there is anyone out there with some answers ?? : ) cheers.

hmscott
12-11-2014, 06:00 PM
asus g550jk fans never seem to run unless done through asus gpu tweak ( when select fans to run at full speed) i know its done by temperature but I am getting temps of cpu 60-70 degrees and gpu of 70-80 and no fan noise. looked through forums for a long time but finally decided that I should post this to see if there is anyone out there with some answers ?? : ) cheers.

jake, when you run a benchmark / stress test like prime95 with small FFT or furmark burnin 15 minutes, do you hear the fans?

Asus programs the fan curves for quiet operation, and only kicks in the fans audibly when the temperature gets high enough. This throws most new owners, they think their fans are broken.

Sitting in front of the laptop, the Left fan is the CPU fan, and the Right fan is the GPU fan.

The Left fan is the one you hear most often as it spins up for regular Windows / applications use that heats up the CPU.

The Right fan is the GPU fan, and doesn't spin up until you run a game with intense graphics that puts demand on the GPU and heats it up.

Run the benchmarks above, and you should hear the fans, and feel the heat exhaust out of the rear vents.

Please let us know how that works out for you :)

jake bindon
12-12-2014, 02:58 AM
thanks for the fast reply. I have done the test and the fans do work : ) ( was getting 68-72 degrees on the cpu cores). i think it must have been the low noise of fans that has confused me all this time. cheers. but played a game of counterstrike today and gpu got up to 89 degrees. dont think that is normal ( using balanced power mode aswell)