PDA

View Full Version : G751 - DIY upgrade from 8 GB RAM to 32 possible?

xamoel
12-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Hi,

I just bought a G751-JY with 8GB Ram installed, now I read here that it's impossible to upgrade to the full 4x8GB as only 2 lots are available to me.

Is that true? No way to access all 4 slots?

Any insight is appreciated!
Thanks!

Seth76
12-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Exactly. I really dont know why but I remmember that I have G74 and access to all 4 slots, but now, I was upgraded my G751JY with "only" 16GB ram, and have 24GB, still one is free but I dont have access to this one unfortunately...

hmscott
12-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Exactly. I really dont know why but I remmember that I have G74 and access to all 4 slots, but now, I was upgraded my G751JY with "only" 16GB ram, and have 24GB, still one is free but I dont have access to this one unfortunately...

Seth76, your G751JY came with 2 x 8GB, but they were installed 1 in the inaccessible section, and 1 in the user accessible section, so you only had 1 slot free? That's bad, you should complain to Asus about that. It sounds like it originally came with 1 8GB and the seller upgraded it with 1 more?

You can get to the other slots, but you have to disassemble the G751 to get at it. I haven't seen a disassembly video for the G751 yet, but on the G750 it involves removing the screen... not fun.

You might check with your seller, if they are local, and see if they support adding memory to the other inaccessible slots.

xamoel
12-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Hm. Too bad. Might go with a 16 GB model then.
How does the cooling system hold up against the G750?

Seth76
12-12-2014, 07:45 AM
@hmscott. No, I do not think you really understand me my friend . I bought the model with 8GB , and later added another 2x8GB memory which was accessible.. So now, I have only one slot left wich is inaccessible...

hmscott
12-12-2014, 09:51 AM
@hmscott. No, I do not think you really understand me my friend . I bought the model with 8GB , and later added another 2x8GB memory which was accessible.. So now, I have only one slot left wich is inaccessible...

Seth76, thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know what you can do, at best you could have the seller add the other 8GB SODIMM, or you could do it yourself. As of right now I don't know of a disassebly video for the G751, but keep looking. Someone did describe it and it sounded easier than the G750.

When you figure it out, please come back and let us know how it is done! And, post pictures or put a video up on Youtube, it would be well received. :)

GundamOfDeath
07-01-2015, 12:36 AM
It took me about 15min but I got it removed. I bought the 8gb one as well and didn't realize what that meant about the two (hard to get to to) slots. Remove every screw off the back under the rubbers. Remove the back piece with the corner flap where the drives are. There were 5 screws under there thst needed to be removed plus harddrive. Slide out cdrom. Remove three screws on lip. Flip comp over, and start separating keyboard from Fram slowly at front.I didn't remove the kb completely just enough to get memory underneath. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I just bought a G751-JY with 8GB Ram installed, now I read here that it's impossible to upgrade to the full 4x8GB as only 2 lots are available to me.

Is that true? No way to access all 4 slots?

Any insight is appreciated!
Thanks!

GundamOfDeath
07-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Seth76, thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know what you can do, at best you could have the seller add the other 8GB SODIMM, or you could do it yourself. As of right now I don't know of a disassebly video for the G751, but keep looking. Someone did describe it and it sounded easier than the G750.

When you figure it out, please come back and let us know how it is done! And, post pictures or put a video up on Youtube, it would be well received. :)It took me about 15min but I got it removed. I bought the 8gb one as well and didn't realize what that meant about the two (hard to get to to) slots. Remove every screw off the back under the rubbers. Remove the back piece with the corner flap where the drives are. There were 5 screws under there thst needed to be removed plus harddrive. Slide out cdrom. Remove three screws on lip. Flip comp over, and start separating keyboard from Fram slowly at front.I didn't remove the kb completely just enough to get memory underneath. Hope this helps.