PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Asus G750JH ?

gogoox
12-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Hello I'm currently with this model of asus that have 780gtx so my question is can I upgrade it with 980gtx?

hmscott
12-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Hello I'm currently with this model of asus that have 780gtx so my question is can I upgrade it with 980gtx?

gogoox, no, the G750 series isn't set up to allow for swapping graphics cards. You would need a kit from Asus like MSI provides for their GT series, that includes the GPU, the new heatsink/cooling parts, and a new BIOS to support the new card.

The cost for the upgrade is more than if you sold your old laptop at a fair price and added some cash to buy the new model. It really makes no sense to upgrade.

Asus will be coming out with the G750JY with the 980m 8GB VRAM, but it is an Optimus motherboard, so the MXM video card from that model likely wouldn't work in a non-Optimus G750JH, even if Asus provided an upgrade kit - it might work in a G750JZ, but Asus won't make an upgrade kit for that either.

MSI GT72 Dominator (Pro) GTX 900M series MXM graphics upgrade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZZ5hGDZpI8

gogoox
12-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Yeah I tought so.. I think I will just sell it and buy the new model. Thanks. :)

hmscott
12-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Yeah I tought so.. I think I will just sell it and buy the new model. Thanks. :)

gogoox, I wouldn't toss it out too soon, check out how you like what ever the replacement is before selling the G750JH. You won't know if you like the new model until you get it and use it for a while... :)