PDA

View Full Version : Asus G20 tried upgrade

banker
12-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Hi,

I just got my G20 and i bought an ssd along with it to upgrade it. I used the PC before trying to upgrade anything and it was working just fine. it took me a lot of time to open the G20 because i was trying not to damage any component. After getting put the SSD which was so difficult, i put everything back together. When i started the pc, it doesn't recognize the SSD nor the DVD drive and it rebooted after 2 min of started the pc, then i opened it again and no secured the connectors to see if something was wrong, i check again and still not sign of life of dvd drive or SSD. I got dissapointed since i tested the ssd in another machine and it works, i means it is the motherboard of the G20 and for some reason the DVD drive also got broken. I decided to use it just like normal and i downloaded some games, and it rebooted just randomly, then i finished downloading and started playing League of Legends and everything was fine, played 2 games for almost 2 hours straight. Then i tried Crysis the game, at ultra graphics and it was running just great at 37-80fps. After 5 or 10min it rebooted, i tried again, and the same thing.

Now i am so but so depressed, not only i got no SSD or DVD drive but can't play more than 5min or 10min an intensive game.

I checked online and i learned that GTX 760 have some issues, like some of them are broken out of the box, and other issues about drivers. I guess mine is faulty. Now i am thinking.... Do i get a GTX 970 and replace the 760 or do i just wait for buying a next year next G20... i lost warranty anyways... i can't do much.

Is there someone else with the same problem of rebooting?

toronto699
12-13-2014, 03:32 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54585-Asus-G20-i3-upgrading
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54457-ROG-G20-Overhaul
these guys ugraded their G20 Private Message them or make a post to their thread , hope this helps,
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54394-ROG-G20AJ-Graphics-woes-(

stevox85
12-13-2014, 07:01 AM
Sorry to hear of your troubles mate, I have the parts I need on order and will update all of you once I sort it out.
I will only be upgrading the GPU by the way so hopefully I won't have to take it apart too much to get this in.

stevox85
12-13-2014, 07:03 AM
Maybe try a factory reset on the machine?
I will be getting the GTX970 by the way

yamark
12-30-2014, 04:26 PM
I just did this the other day. It was a pain. It took me a while to get the SSD cable in the right spot. I moved my operating system to the SSD, booted from the SSD, and everything worked well. Formatted the HD that came on the G20. Rebooted and Windows wouldn't load. Nothing could get it to load. Finally, I used my education discount and bought a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 pro and BOOM, I now have the fastest computer that I've ever owned.

damj08
02-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Can I ask which SSD you got for you G20? (brand and model number)

GoHack
02-21-2015, 03:06 AM
You have to set your SSD in the BIOS.

Make sure everything is set properly, including your DVD, in the BIOS.