PDA

View Full Version : Best cooling pad for ASUS G750JH?

Helel
12-15-2014, 06:12 AM
I'm buying ASUS G750JH this Christmas, and was wondering which cooling pad I should pick with it?

I'm thinking one of this:

Zalman ZM-NC3000S
Zalman ZM-NC3500 Plus
Cooler Master NotePal XL
Thermaltake Massive TM

Which one you think will be best?

P.S. My ASUS G750JH specs if it matters: Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2400MHz, 16GB RAM, GTX780M 4GB, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Thanks in advance! ;)

pcshano
12-15-2014, 07:19 AM
I'm buying ASUS G750JH this Christmas, and was wondering which cooling pad I should pick with it?

I'm thinking one of this:

Zalman ZM-NC3000S
Zalman ZM-NC3500 Plus
Cooler Master NotePal XL
Thermaltake Massive TM

Which one you think will be best?

P.S. My ASUS G750JH specs if it matters: Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2400MHz, 16GB RAM, GTX780M 4GB, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Thanks in advance! ;)

you don't need one.

Helel
12-15-2014, 10:06 AM
you don't need one.
Really, are you sure? I though it's better to have one when you get gaming laptop...

Well, in any case, if I would get one, which one is preferable?)

hmscott
12-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Really, are you sure? I though it's better to have one when you get gaming laptop...
Well, in any case, if I would get one, which one is preferable?)

Helel, the G750JH draws in all cool air from the vent under the laptop. The G750JH has feet that elevate the laptop from the surface to allow clear air flow. Make sure you keep that area clear of obstruction, don't put it on a bed, couch, pillow, or anything that the G750 can sink down into and block those vents.

Make sure the area behind the laptop is clear of obstructions that might block / bounce back the hot exhaust air, and make sure anything behind it won't get damaged / cooked due to the constant heated air blowing out.

If you can, angle the laptop to vent the hot exhaust out into open space next to the desk instead of straight back against a wall or corner, as over time air heated over ambient will flow back under the laptop and get sucked in, raising the temperature of the incoming "cool" air.

A stand is nice for elevating the laptop for viewing, but additional forced air at ambient temperature won't make any difference - unless you seal the incoming air vent and force the air in under pressure.

You could always rig up a flow of dry refrigerated air blowing into the intake vent, that might reduce CPU/GPU temperatures.

If you do, please post photo's :)

beatc
12-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Just get two small bottle caps and you'll have the perfect and cheapest cooling pad.

hmscott
12-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Just get two small bottle caps and you'll have the perfect and cheapest cooling pad.

beatc, the G750JH has bottle cap high feet at each corner :)

I use Dixie Cups at all 4 corners for Macbook Pros's to get them off the table and up into air flow, otherwise they cook themselves on the desk.

The G750JH crushes'em, you need to triple them up at each corner to take the weight :)

Helel
12-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Helel, the G750JH draws in all cool air from the vent under the laptop. The G750JH has feet that elevate the laptop from the surface to allow clear air flow. Make sure you keep that area clear of obstruction, don't put it on a bed, couch, pillow, or anything that the G750 can sink down into and block those vents.

Make sure the area behind the laptop is clear of obstructions that might block / bounce back the hot exhaust air, and make sure anything behind it won't get damaged / cooked due to the constant heated air blowing out.

If you can, angle the laptop to vent the hot exhaust out into open space next to the desk instead of straight back against a wall or corner, as over time air heated over ambient will flow back under the laptop and get sucked in, raising the temperature of the incoming "cool" air.

A stand is nice for elevating the laptop for viewing, but additional forced air at ambient temperature won't make any difference - unless you seal the incoming air vent and force the air in under pressure.

You could always rig up a flow of dry refrigerated air blowing into the intake vent, that might reduce CPU/GPU temperatures.

If you do, please post photo's :)
Well... here's my current setup of ASUS G73SW on Zalman ZM-NC3000S: http://i.imgur.com/drMqpGD.jpg
As you can see I have a lot of free space behind/around my "laptop place", right?
My model draws air from the bottom too? I never checked/thought about it...
But, my laptop definitely "feels" himself better on this cooling pad, compared to when he was just standing on the wooden table (CPU/GPU temp when idle and running the game).
P.S. Don't mind insane amounts of dust, I will clean it before buying my new G750JH :D

hmscott
12-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Well... here's my current setup of ASUS G73SW on Zalman ZM-NC3000S: http://i.imgur.com/drMqpGD.jpg
As you can see I have a lot of free space behind/around my "laptop place", right?
My model draws air from the bottom too? I never checked/thought about it...
But, my laptop definitely "feels" himself better on this cooling pad, compared to when he was just standing on the wooden table (CPU/GPU temp when idle and running the game).
P.S. Don't mind insane amounts of dust, I will clean it before buying my new G750JH :D

Helel, different models have different airflow patterns. They used to draw air in from several locations, including the keyboard, but the G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ all draw air only from the long series of vents under the middle of the laptop top, just the other side of the drive bays - the keyboard is sealed.

No air is drawn over / through the drive bays - that is why you want to move any spinning mechanical drives, HDD's out of the laptop and only put in cool running SSD's.

You can tape a mesh filter over the intake vent, or purchase something designed for the job, to pre-filter the dust from the incoming air.

Laptop Dust Filters
http://www.demcifilter.com/c218/Laptop-Dust-Filters.aspx

Custom sized Fan filters
http://www.demcifilter.com/cu8/Custom-Filters.aspx

Looks like a nice setup :)

Helel
12-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Helel, different models have different airflow patterns. They used to draw air in from several locations, including the keyboard, but the G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ all draw air only from the long series of vents under the middle of the laptop top, just the other side of the drive bays - the keyboard is sealed.

No air is drawn over / through the drive bays - that is why you want to move any spinning mechanical drives, HDD's out of the laptop and only put in cool running SSD's.

You can tape a mesh filter over the intake vent, or purchase something designed for the job, to pre-filter the dust from the incoming air.

Laptop Dust Filters
http://www.demcifilter.com/c218/Laptop-Dust-Filters.aspx

Custom sized Fan filters
http://www.demcifilter.com/cu8/Custom-Filters.aspx

Looks like a nice setup :)
Well... that's very informative, but it's still don't answer my question: "If I will buy one of this cooling pads - which one I should pick?", or maybe you can suggest another one (or a few of them)? Thanks!

manofours
12-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Well... that's very informative, but it's still don't answer my question: "If I will buy one of this cooling pads - which one I should pick?", or maybe you can suggest another one (or a few of them)? Thanks!

Уже сообщили, что 750xx НЕ нуждаются в дополнительном охлаждении. Мой G750JS всегда работает штатно.
В любом случае, исходя из моего опыта, НИ ОДИН из кулеров не позволяет существенно (т.е. более, чем на 3-5 град.) улучшить температурную ситуацию.

(Was answering this in Russian 'cause you seem to be living in Moscow. If that's inconvenient, feel free to correct me).

[edited: grammar slightly ;) improved]

Helel
12-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Понятно, спасибо.

Yes, I live in Moscow, so Russian is fine too :)

Also, while we on this topic, I'm thinking about two slightly different configurations, is second one worth additional cost, or there won't be any noticeable difference in performance (I don't really need this additional 500Gb of HDD space, so I'm only talking about RAM)?

1. ASUS ROG G750JH (Core i7 4700HQ 2400 Mhz/17.3"/1920x1080/16.0Gb/1256Gb HDD+SSD/Blu-Ray/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/Win 8 64)
2. ASUS ROG G750JH (Core i7 4700HQ 2400 Mhz/17.3"/1920x1080/24.0Gb/1756Gb HDD+SSD/Blu-Ray/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/Win 8 64)

Darnassus
12-15-2014, 06:52 PM
My choice for those thermal pads you've linked is NONE of them, and I'll tell you why. ;x

They don't have filters, they blow air directly up into the laptop, and that.. as I've always made out to myself is a no no.

You're blowing the dust into the unit, what ever goes through those fans, goes right up into the laptop.

I myself use a cooler, but I use a specific type. It's a Zalman, specifically, the ZM NC-2000 (17" model).

The reason I love this cooler is because the fans don't blow directly into the unit, they blow into the hull of the cooler which then distributes the pressure among the holes on the top.. the 'blow' isn't strong, either.. it's simply a breeze, the aluminium plate surface is what makes the air so cold.

The thing I love most about the cooler though is the hull as I previously mentioned, I pull it apart once every 3 months or so.. and it only takes me 5 minutes. It's full of dust, hair (my own, long and dangerous for fans), and so on. It doesn't 'filter' per say.. but the breeze-like blow which is what makes it so chilling is not strong enough to just gust the dust right into the laptop vents.

What's also great about it is, I don't even need to turn on the fans at times.. the aluminium plate is like a magnet, pulling the heat away, trying to equalise the temperature nearby.. trading cold to heat, of course the aluminium always cooling quicker than it does heat.. since it's almost like a massive heat sink.

Call me crazy, but I absolutely love it, it works.. and it keeps my temps down by 5-10*C when I do really heavy sessions.

Laptop coolers shouldn't force air into the laptop.. they should provide a soft breeze which 'encourages' it's entry path into the vents, while the laptop's fan forces it out the other side.

hmscott
12-15-2014, 07:12 PM

Helel, I don't recommend any cooling pad as they aren't effective on the G750. I tried a few, the best at the time, and even during benchmarking/stress testing they didn't make any appreciable difference for me.

The cooling pads didn't make any difference in measured CPU / GPU temperatures when stress testing / benchmarking. So I took the cooling pads back and run without any cooling pad.

Running with the Windows Balanced Power Plan CPU Min/Max 0%/100% makes a difference. Allowing the CPU to cool down between loads makes a big difference in temperatures during long sessions. If you run with the High Performance Power plan - CPU Min/Max 100%/100% - the CPU doesn't cool down and keeps building up heat.

Please come back and let us know what cooling pads you try out and if you measure any perceptible difference using it with the G750JH.

Darnassus
12-15-2014, 07:14 PM
I'll do a burn in sometime this arvo and report back if I remember. x'{

My cooler pad is: Zalman NC-2000

*Daggers shoot from eyes at hmscott!* >;x

But yes, the G750's cooling on it's own should surely be sufficient.. but hey, I forgot to mention in my post above, I LOVE having a deeper wedge shape, which the NC-2000 so handsomely provides..

hmscott
12-15-2014, 07:21 PM
I'll do a burn in sometime this arvo and report back if I remember. x'{

My cooler pad is: Zalman NC-2000

*Daggers shoot from eyes at hmscott!* >;x

But yes, the G750's cooling on it's own should surely be sufficient.. but hey, I forgot to mention in my post above, I LOVE having a deeper wedge shape, which the NC-2000 so handsomely provides..

Darnassus, your results are different than my results, but it doesn't invalidate my results, or yours :)

I fully expected a cooling pad to make a difference cooling the G750, as it had for previous laptops, but the G750 is sealed up and only draws air through the vents, and I have to assume Asus calculated the correct back pressure to allow the exhaust fans to pull enough air through the vents provided at standard elevation.

Before this I think the cooling designs were a bit off, leaking like a sieve from all seams, and air could come in from anywhere - with the fans starved for air volume - so an active cooling pad would help measurably.

I have had people come back and confirm that it makes little to no difference on their G750, but if you do find one that works for you then that's great, let us know what you find.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from trying, but if you can't find one that is worth the $ for effect, don't worry about it, the G750JH sans cooling pad will be just fine.

manofours
12-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Понятно, спасибо.

Yes, I live in Moscow, so Russian is fine too :)

Also, while we on this topic, I'm thinking about two slightly different configurations, is second one worth additional cost, or there won't be any noticeable difference in performance (I don't really need this additional 500Gb of HDD space, so I'm only talking about RAM)?

1. ASUS ROG G750JH (Core i7 4700HQ 2400 Mhz/17.3"/1920x1080/16.0Gb/1256Gb HDD+SSD/Blu-Ray/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/Win 8 64)
2. ASUS ROG G750JH (Core i7 4700HQ 2400 Mhz/17.3"/1920x1080/24.0Gb/1756Gb HDD+SSD/Blu-Ray/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/Win 8 64)

16 ГБ - более, чем достаточно на 3 года вперед. У меня 12, и бук перезагружается за 10-15 СЕКУНД, благодаря SSD.
Совершенно безотносительно к теме, но пока мы рассуждаем здесь о конифгурации, тема приобретает все более академический характер. Мой ноут, например, стоит теперь вдвое дороже, чем в момент приобретения. Возможно, стоит определиться и поспешить с покупкой, если уже не поздно.
Sorry if that's been annoying and unnesessary. $)

code9523
12-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Не надо тут многоязычность включать а то как начнут по всякому писать фиг потом поймешь что и как!)))
I'm English writing here and everyone should do the same!

beatc
12-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Another alternative way to cool your laptop is to run the fan on full speed by using the GPU tweak. The only minor issue is the loud noise created by the fans but if you have a good pair of headphones then you'll be ok.

hmscott
12-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Another alternative way to cool your laptop is to run the fan on full speed by using the GPU tweak. The only minor issue is the loud noise created by the fans but if you have a good pair of headphones then you'll be ok.

beatc, Full Fan Speed option in Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops come out for the G750JM/JS/JZ, it isn't available - or needed - for the G750JW/JX/JH which uses the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards - which is also used for the G751.

Basically Asus GPU Tweak for laptops is for ROG laptops with Optimus, and Asus GPU Tweak for Graphic Cards works on non-Optimus ROG laptops.

The Full Fan Speed option is really only for reducing the GPU temperature, but since it pulls in lots more air through the vents it has a secondary effect of cooling the CPU a couple of degrees as well.

I find it a step back to require manual intervention be made to use all the cooling potential of a laptop cooling system. The additional fan speed should be used automatically, and for the G750JW/JX/JH it is.

Helel
12-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Ok, thanks for all your help, I decided I will buy just the laptop at this time, and if I need too - I will by cooling pad later.

Helel
12-17-2014, 12:42 PM
beatc, Full Fan Speed option in Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops come out for the G750JM/JS/JZ, it isn't available - or needed - for the G750JW/JX/JH which uses the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards - which is also used for the G751.

Basically Asus GPU Tweak for laptops is for ROG laptops with Optimus, and Asus GPU Tweak for Graphic Cards works on non-Optimus ROG laptops.

The Full Fan Speed option is really only for reducing the GPU temperature, but since it pulls in lots more air through the vents it has a secondary effect of cooling the CPU a couple of degrees as well.

I find it a step back to require manual intervention be made to use all the cooling potential of a laptop cooling system. The additional fan speed should be used automatically, and for the G750JW/JX/JH it is.
Even my old G73SW (that I'm using now) does that, I mean auto-rising cooler speed when I'm playing games.

hmscott
12-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Even my old G73SW (that I'm using now) does that, I mean auto-rising cooler speed when I'm playing games.

Helel, I think the G750JM/JS/JZ automatically speed up the GPU as needed as well, I think the Full Fan option in GPU Tweak forces the issue early, but I haven't one to try for myself, I just can't believe Asus wouldn't include the full fan speed spectrum in their automatic management.