PDA

View Full Version : problems with loading websites.

Noel
12-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Hello!

I've been having huge problems with loading websites.

Around 80% of the time everything works correctly but then sometimes it doesn't load anything (can't find website) or loads stripped version of a page, (0r page not found fix internet connection) When I hit refresh or back, it loads it correctly.

It is happening on IE11, Chrome ,Opera browsers. I've reinstalled ethernet adapter drivers and tried to reset/refresh/release all ips and dns servers from elevated command prompt. even have new optic fibre cable and new router done by provider and set correctly.
win 8.1 really sucks.

Please help because I am loosing my mind....I don't want to go down the reinstall path.

Thanks

hmscott
12-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Hello!
I've been having huge problems with loading websites.
Around 80% of the time everything works correctly but then sometimes it doesn't load anything (can't find website) or loads stripped version of a page, (0r page not found fix internet connection) When I hit refresh or back, it loads it correctly.
It is happening on IE11, Chrome ,Opera browsers. I've reinstalled ethernet adapter drivers and tried to reset/refresh/release all ips and dns servers from elevated command prompt. even have new optic fibre cable and new router done by provider and set correctly.
win 8.1 really sucks.
Please help because I am loosing my mind....I don't want to go down the reinstall path.
Thanks

Noel, this could be a couple of things, typically the first thing I check is the DNS, usually if DNS fails on the first query and succeeds on the second query you get this symptom.

There are lots of public DNS servers, all over geographically. You can try Google's DNS to see if that helps first, easy to remember:

Using Google Public DNS
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

8.8.8..8 and 8.8.4.4

Sometimes this indicates a problem with the ISP DNS, they may also be changing to another default DNS available through DHCP - you could try power-cycling your Router / Modem, and reboot your laptop before reconnecting to the router after it restarts.

Clearing your DNS cache is helpful too, you may have gotten some bad DNS values cached, to use without disconnecting/restarting:

DNS (Domain Name System): frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/domain-name-system-faq#1TC=windows-7

ipconfig /flushdns

If your ISP DNS is flakey, and the Google DNS works, I would suggest looking for other free DNS resources in your geographic area, do a ping test on them to check for lowest latency

Here is a web based test you can use to check DNS response times, maybe too much info, but it is useful :)
https://www.ultratools.com/tools/dnsHostingSpeedResult

Just found this fun tool, namebench:
https://code.google.com/p/namebench/

It is a Windows app that uses your current info, plus it's own database and derived DNS sources to find the best DNS server to use from your location. It takes a while to run, as it is doing lots of tests against other DNS servers, I had set 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 as my primary DNS, and it came up with a 25% faster DNS solution, which it displays in your default Browser from a file. It will also show if any addresses in it's run have been hijacked. Worth a run :)

It might not be DNS, so try these things, and if that isn't enough, please give a little more info on your network. Are you using Wireless or Ethernet (try ethernet), what Router make/model modem make/model do you have? Have you updated your router firmware and wifi card firmware/driver to the latest available on the vendor site?

Noel
12-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Hi Hmscott, sorry am using wireless router model RTL8xxx.Technicolor TG799vn v2 (1401CS5EM) Wireless N AP TL-WA830RE I see this under networks drive. as for router firmware I have no idea how to update,but I did call provider to do that.
And wifi card firmware I don't no how to do or find this. I have full reception bars, I only get some probs with websites or updates, seems to do it twice to work. since I change to optic fibre and new router im having this issue but I told provider that win 8.1 mite need firmware update for the router to work well with win8.1,

but they are investigating this and its a new system here changing to optic fibre. I have no cable to connect directly to router yet, and don't know if this would make any deference.

I do have Asus live update but nothing as yet. I downloaded bios twice from there website as I had no idea of the Asus live update at that time.
My network adapter is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
but on website only found Intel WiFi Wireless LAN Driver
and not sure if this is right one.

Noel
12-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Hi ,I did the test with namebench but no idea if this should be done on wireless or with cable. how can I post the result's so you can view?

hmscott
12-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Hi I did the test but no idea if this should be done on wireless or with cable. But I put my link so you can view.
C:\Users\noelborg\Desktop\namebench 2014-12-16 18 46 37.976000.html

Noel, I can't see that file, it is on your C drive, look at the path... you could attache it to a PM, so you don't list your info publicly...

It should be self-explanatory, it says what it recommends for DNS settings, and shows a list of the DNS servers that are fsatest. Did you have a question about the results?

There is another DNS tool, that will first test against it's list, then will generate a custom list of best DNS locally for you, out of 4.6k dns servers. You could give that a try.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Click image to download.

Run once, then take advantage of the custom test offer for 4600 servers.

I will respond to your eother post too.

hmscott
12-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Hi Hmscott, sorry am using wireless router model RTL8xxx.Technicolor TG799vn v2 (1401CS5EM) Wireless N AP TL-WA830RE I see this under networks drive. as for router firmware I have no idea how to update,but I did call provider to do that.
And wifi card firmware I don't no how to do or find this. I have full reception bars, I only get some probs with websites or updates, seems to do it twice to work. since I change to optic fibre and new router im having this issue but I told provider that win 8.1 mite need firmware update for the router to work well with win8.1,

but they are investigating this and its a new system here changing to optic fibre. I have no cable to connect directly to router yet, and don't know if this would make any deference.

I do have Asus live update but nothing as yet. I downloaded bios twice from there website as I had no idea of the Asus live update at that time.
My network adapter is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
but on website only found Intel WiFi Wireless LAN Driver
and not sure if this is right one.

Noel, the G751 wifi card, the Intel 7260 has quite a few compatibility complaints, so it is top suspect in the problem.

I would get an Ethernet cable to the router and connect your G751 directly - disable Wifi to make sure you aren't using it, and then run on that for a while - do some testing, and see if the problems go away.

If Ethernet is better, then come back and we can try to improve your Wifi as best as possible.

Be sure and tell your provider you have an Intel 7260 Wifi card provided in your G751, and ask if they have any compatibility settings to set in the router or your laptop to improve connectivity.

Paco
12-16-2014, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=hmscott;458261]Noel, the G751 wifi card, the Intel 7260 has quite a few compatibility complaints, so it is top suspect in the problem.

Well I have the G751 and Intel 7260 and its working perfect. Not dropped out once (about 200hrs use so far). I do get about 50% speed increase with ethernet cable - although this was even more on my old laptop. I downloaded "Intel Driver Update Utility" and updated drivers through that .... I don't know if it made any difference but it sure didn't make things worse.

hmscott
12-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi ,I did the test with namebench but no idea if this should be done on wireless or with cable. how can I post the result's so you can view?

namebench 1.3.1
Your current primary DNS server is
Fastest

Noel, that's all I needed to see, the top / first listing:

Your current primary DNS server is Fastest

So you don't need to change :)

Pursue the Ethernet test and stay on it for now until your work out your Wifi issue, and work with your ISP for compatibility with your Intel 7260 and their router.

Asus Live Update won't find new drivers usually, Asus is bad about updating driver downlaods, you need to seek the newest ones elsewhere.

I hesitate to recommend changing the driver, the Intel 7260 support site has been a never ending cascade of driver updates worse than the last.

But, it has been a year, so maybe give Intel a shot, and use their driver update tool through Internet Explorer:

Intel Driver Update Utility
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/

This is the latest driver I can find via search at Intel:

Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=24220&lang=eng&wapkw=7260+driver

Check with the tool first, and see what version it recommends.

Did you set your security to WPA2 / AES? and set WMM to enabled on the router? All those are needed for best 802.11n performance.

Please let us know what you find, and if it works :)

hmscott
12-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Well I have the G751 and Intel 7260 and its working perfect. Not dropped out once (about 200hrs use so far). I do get about 50% speed increase with ethernet cable - although this was even more on my old laptop. I downloaded "Intel Driver Update Utility" and updated drivers through that .... I don't know if it made any difference but it sure didn't make things worse.

Paco, lots of people are complaining about incompatibility with the Intel 7260 and their Wireless AP/Router's, and it isn't just the G751, it is all laptops with the Intel 7260.

There are plenty of compatible routers and AP's and yours seems to be halfway in between - your Ethernet and Wireless speed to the Internet should be the same, so your 7260/router still aren't simpatico - settings, firmware, future driver updates for the 7260, should eventually get your Wifi speed the same as Ethernet.

What make / model of router do you have?

Did you set your security to WPA2 / AES? and set WMM to enabled on the router? All those are needed for best 802.11n performance.

Noel
12-16-2014, 06:57 PM
ok thanks as always . I try tomorrow and see what happens.
I let you know what results after few hours or day of test.

regards N

xdr
12-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Uninstall any antivirus that you may have (specially nod32 and avast!) and see if it helps.
I had a slightly different problem: https websites didn't load or it was loading with errors. It turned up to be a weird incompatibility between Nod32 Antivirus and ROG GameFirst III service.

dann006
12-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Uninstall any antivirus that you may have (specially nod32 and avast!) and see if it helps.
I had a slightly different problem: https websites didn't load or it was loading with errors. It turned up to be a weird incompatibility between Nod32 Antivirus and ROG GameFirst III service.

I think I am having the same issue. How did you get them to play together? I use AVAST and do not want to be without virus protecton.

Thanks

xdr
12-19-2014, 09:53 PM
I didn't. I removed ROG Gamefirst service and that was it.
I can live without prioritization on gaming but I cannot stay without any antivir installed.