PDA

View Full Version : G74sx non-3D screen and Optimus

warpspire
11-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm planning on buying a G74sx, and overall the features and reviews I've read so far are very impressive. As I wouldn't use the 3D feature much, I think I'll opt for the non 3D version.

Because most of the reviews/feedbacks I could find are about the full-fledged 3D G74sx, I'm unsure about 2 things: Optimus and screen quality.

As far as I know, the non-3D version comes with a glossy 60Hz screen, which I don't have anything against and I also expect the brightness/contrast a bit lower, however, it would be nice to know if the models supplied with such screens are sub-par or not.

Also, by default Optimus is not enabled in the 3D capable variants, but I heard some hearsay that the other versions support it.

Do you have any experience with any of these?

Thanks very much in advance!

Yahooligan
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Hi,

Optimus isn't enabled on any G74SX. The non-3D fullHD screen (1920x1080) is a great screen, there are both glossy and matte versions. I have the glossy and the image quality is great. Avoid the HD+ (1600x900) model.

Boosted_R
11-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Hi,

Optimus isn't enabled on any G74SX. The non-3D fullHD screen (1920x1080) is a great screen, there are both glossy and matte versions. I have the glossy and the image quality is great. Avoid the HD+ (1600x900) model.

Just to add on, Mainly the Best Buy Model has the lower quality screen, but make sure with others.

Also note GPU on the G74sx:

GTX560 2GB version is 128 bit

GTX560 3GB version is 192 bit << get this version as its the better one (faster)

......no point getting the 3D version anyhow, frame rate drops a lot when in 3D mode from the reviews i have seen

----> also considering where your located, research the proper way to update the BIOS properly..... if you want to verify Bios update process MSG me, or post on the forum, if your not sure how to. GL

BrodyBoy
11-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Hi,

+1 It's the best display I've ever seen in a laptop.

Brian@ASUS
11-02-2011, 04:17 AM
optimus starts at geforce 555 and below

warpspire
11-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks everyone!

I'll be the happy owner of a full HD/3G model today then. I think less ram (8G), a slower 2nd HDD (5400rpm) and less gram (1.5g) in the favor of a small SSD or hybrid drive would have made more sense, but not complaining :)

warpspire
11-02-2011, 07:34 AM
optimus starts at geforce 555 and below

I think Optimus is supported from the previous generation Fermi cores and up, although I've seen it implemented with high-end cards only in Alienware laptops. It's not that important for me anyway, and I'm partial to simplicity - I can happily miss out on bling and disco lights.

warpspire
11-02-2011, 07:35 AM
----> also considering where your located, research the proper way to update the BIOS properly..... if you want to verify Bios update process MSG me, or post on the forum, if your not sure how to. GL

Thanks for this, do you think that it will require flashing the bios right from the start?

Brian@ASUS
11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
correct there is optimus for GTX560m but asus's 560m does not support optimus

Boosted_R
11-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for this, do you think that it will require flashing the bios right from the start?

You should be ok, and wouldn't need to do it right away, if your Nvidia driver crashes from time to time, then i would update to Bios 203. Bios 203 seems to fix the problem.

Only thing you would need to do right away is update the ATK driver for the keyboard and touch pad driver, as soon as you get it.

warpspire
11-02-2011, 12:11 PM
You should be ok, and wouldn't need to do it right away, if your Nvidia driver crashes from time to time, then i would update to Bios 203. Bios 203 seems to fix the problem.

Only thing you would need to do right away is update the ATK driver for the keyboard and touch pad driver, as soon as you get it.

Thanks, will do!

JRd1st
11-02-2011, 01:58 PM
correct there is optimus for GTX560m but asus's 560m does not support optimus

... Intel DPST can be enabled in Power4Gear advanced settings.

warpspire
11-02-2011, 03:04 PM
... Intel DPST can be enabled in Power4Gear advanced settings.

As far as I know it wouldn't affect the nVidia card, just the CPU graphics chip, and also not very convincing:
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090723/lesson-intel-graphics-power-saving-feature/

Thanks for pointing this out though. Optimus is not vital for me, I was just curious if it's disabled in all models or not.

NeoteriX
11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
As far as I know, the non-3D version comes with a glossy 60Hz screen, which I don't have anything against and I also expect the brightness/contrast a bit lower, however, it would be nice to know if the models supplied with such screens are sub-par or not.

Anandtech in their review of the G74: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4911/asus-g74sx-noteworthy-updates-to-asus-g7-series/5

They seem to really like the panel.

Contrast is excellent at nearly 1000:1, and the maximum white level of 289 nits is a big step up from the ~150 nits of the G73 series. Given the change in characteristics, itís no surprise that the LCD panel used in the G74SX is different this round, coming from Chimei Innolux (instead of HannStar). The model is N173HGE-L21, and it appears that our contrast ratio result is better than the advertised 500:1. Backlight intensity is up, and we also note that color gamut is up, with a slight (not generally noticeable) improvement in color accuracy as well. Without calibration, the panel has a decidedly bluish cast, but thatís common among LED backlit panels. Overall, I definitely appreciate the changes made to the LCD panel; the previous version was good, but the new version matches or improves on it in virtually every way.