PDA

View Full Version : G750JM Thunderbolt Port not working

loge2001
12-17-2014, 01:29 AM
Hi all,
I have a Asus G750JM with the Thunderbolt port an an external hard drive that uses that port. It has worked fine in the past, but i used the refresh feature on my laptop and now it only works if i plug it in and then turn the computer on. I went on the Asus website and got the thunderbolt software, but that didn't help.

Thanks,
loge2001

EDIT1: Now it's not working at all. I noticed that when I enable ThunderboltTM Controller driver on device mananger, it disables USB Composite device and my usb stuff stops working. To enable it, i have to reboot.

errol.afed
12-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Newbie here, same laptop and same problem. I borrowed a friend's Buffalo hard drive with Thunderbolt and I'm having the same problem. I have a
Lacie esata hub and it's the same. What could be the problem? I already installed the driver for the esata hub but it's still not working.

errol.afed
12-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Help anyone? Has anyone else come across this problem and was able to fix it? I've been searching the net for possible solutions and have yet to come across one. Lacie products are supposedly Windows certified, is this an issue with Windows 8.1? With the problem of loge2001, his Thunderbolt device worked for some time while mine never worked.

hmscott
12-21-2014, 06:32 AM
There is a newer driver at Intel (2.0.4.250) than the one at Asus (1.4.0.1):

Thunderbolt: Intel Thunderbolt driver - Installs the Thunderbolt driver version 2.0.4.250.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23742&lang=eng&wapkw=thunderbolt

errol.afed
12-22-2014, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the reply hmscott, installed the driver but the result is still the same, still getting the device not windows
certified. This getting to be very
frustrating since one of the reasons I got this laptop is because of the Thunderbolt port. I work as a DIT and when
dealing with large files specially
when using a Phantom high speed camera the Thunderbolt port would make my work easier and a lot faster when
downloading the large files from the
camera. The Lacie esata hub I got from a fellow DIT who was not using it much and since my office has a lot of esata drives I purchased the esata hub.

hmscott
12-22-2014, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the reply hmscott, installed the driver but the result is still the same, still getting the device not windows
certified. This getting to be very
frustrating since one of the reasons I got this laptop is because of the Thunderbolt port. I work as a DIT and when
dealing with large files specially
when using a Phantom high speed camera the Thunderbolt port would make my work easier and a lot faster when
downloading the large files from the
camera. The Lacie esata hub I got from a fellow DIT who was not using it much and since my office has a lot of esata drives I purchased the esata hub.

errol.afed, the new driver also installs software for adjusting/managing Thunderbolt devices. It may already be in the systray, or you may need to run it from the Start Menu Thunderbolt folder to start the systray app/icon. Right click on the icon in the systray and you get several options, including Settings:

The default is for strict "Only allow Thunderbolt for PC Certified Devices", but you can change that setting :)

You can also "Approved Devices" and ", View Attached Devices", when you see your device, check for other options.

Does that help?

errol.afed
12-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Before anything else, my apologies to loge2001 as it seems I have hijacked his thread.
@hmscott: yes, I have accessed the settings on the Thunderbolt software and have checked the "Allow any
Thunderbolt device" option. The notice " This Thunderbolt Device is not certified for PC use " still appears.
It seems that the Lacie driver is only for Windows 8 and not 8.1, maybe that's causing the problem.

hmscott
12-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Before anything else, my apologies to loge2001 as it seems I have hijacked his thread.
@hmscott: yes, I have accessed the settings on the Thunderbolt software and have checked the "Allow any
Thunderbolt device" option. The notice " This Thunderbolt Device is not certified for PC use " still appears.
It seems that the Lacie driver is only for Windows 8 and not 8.1, maybe that's causing the problem.

errol.afed, not to worry, it is the same subject and loge2001 hasn't logged in since 12/16, and you didn't start posting until 12/18. It is better to have fewer unified threads than spread out the subject over multiple threads. Now loge2001 has somethings to try when he gets back :)

Weird that you still get the not certified for pc use warning when you set the settings to allow non-certified devices... maybe you need to reboot after changing the setting before trying again?

Did you check the "View Attached Devices" and "Manage Attached Devices" for more options to adjust settings? Right click on the line with the device, or maybe only need to select the device for more adjustment options to come up.

Did you file a bug with LaCie? Do they have newer hardware that has a Windows 8.1 driver, maybe search for a newer driver there, just like we have to do for our Asus drivers? :)

errol.afed
12-24-2014, 01:23 AM
Hi hmscott, tried everything that you wrote, still the same problem. I've checked the Lacie website but no new driver
for the esata hub so far. I tried to file a report to Lacie but had a problem with regards to where the esata hub was
purchased since I'm like the third owner. I tested the esata hub on a Mac and of course it worked, he he he. I'm
thinking as a last resort to install Windows 7 on a flashdrive or external drive and test if it will work on
Windows 7. Thank you for all the help, a very Merry Christmas to you and everyone on the forum!