PDA

View Full Version : G551 Clean Windows 8 Install (Activation Key)

vepe
12-17-2014, 07:58 PM
My new laptop arrived today, and the first thing I want is to give it a fresh OS install.
This will remove all the ****-software that is preinstalled, remove hidden partitions on the disk, and give me the choice to set up Windows the way I want.

The G551 comes with Windows 8.1 preinstalled, and the Activation Key is nowhere to be found. It should look like this: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.

At Control Panel -> System and security -> System it shows a Product-ID under the headline "Windows Activation". This looks like this: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.

My question is:
How can I find my Windows 8.1 Activation Key?

Every reply is recieved with gratitude :)

toronto699
12-17-2014, 08:50 PM
product key is no longer supplied by Microsoft or asus or anyone . u need to make a recovery USB. before u remove all the partitions and reinstall windows make absolutely sure u have all the facts u need.

hmscott
12-17-2014, 09:20 PM
My new laptop arrived today, and the first thing I want is to give it a fresh OS install.
This will remove all the ****-software that is preinstalled, remove hidden partitions on the disk, and give me the choice to set up Windows the way I want.
The G551 comes with Windows 8.1 preinstalled, and the Activation Key is nowhere to be found. It should look like this: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.
At Control Panel -> System and security -> System it shows a Product-ID under the headline "Windows Activation". This looks like this: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.
My question is:
How can I find my Windows 8.1 Activation Key?
Every reply is recieved with gratitude :)

vepe, first, there is no reason to erase all the hard work Asus did to build that OS for your laptop, you know, the one they built.

It has been proven that there is no performance advantage to doing a from scratch Microsoft Media install over the Asus OEM OS build.

All you could hope for is to spend a lot of time installing Windows, installing patches, installing drivers, installing applications - all to get right back to where you are right now, with a tuned OS build - and Asus can do it better than you - and has the resources for doing the build and testing it against their laptop hardware design.

It's a waste of time to redo Asus's work.

But, if you insist, then at least do a backup of the HDD as an image file using whatever favorite cloning/imaging program you like. I use Macrium Reflect Free.

Asus Backtracker is the program Asus provides to back up the recovery partition into a bootable flash drive that can be used to restore to a new HDD/SSD. It can be used to restore the laptop back to the out of the box OS configuration.

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

A USB 3.0 16GB flash drive is recommended. Be sure and do a test restore to another HDD/SSD - don't do the test restore to your original HDD - if the restore fails it will have already erased and repartitioned your original HDD and you won't be able to boot again on it.

I recommend getting another drive SSD or HDD and setting the original HDD aside as a backup of the Asus OS. Those drives are $50 new, so it isn't a big loss. And, if you ever need to send your laptop in for service Asus is going to want to debug first using their OS build, not yours, before approving RMA.

The Windows License is built into the BIOS, and using the right OS image you can do the install without providing a key.

Here is the list of the Asus tools I remove, takes a couple of minutes, a lot shorter than doing a from scratch Install of Windows from Microsoft Media.

That's Asus Install, you can find it in C:\eSupport\eDriver\AsInsWiz.exe

All the drivers and apps can be re-installed from Asus Install, or by going into the folders in C:\eSupport

It's also a good idea to let your laptop burn-in for a week of usage before making big changes. Spend the time stress testing and benchmarking, watch temperatures and test all the functions / ports to make sure everything is working as expected. Doing this before the seller's return period expires is best, that way you can return it to the seller for a new one, instead of needing to RMA back to Asus for a repair.

Have fun :)

ROGscholar
12-21-2014, 04:30 PM
I think there is more than just unintalling Bloatware if you want a clean windows 8.1. ASUS has obviously installed some suspicious drivers alongside their utilities.

hmscott
12-21-2014, 07:02 PM
I think there is more than just unintalling Bloatware if you want a clean windows 8.1. ASUS has obviously installed some suspicious drivers alongside their utilities.

ROGscholar, examples and proof?