PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive suggestions?

sirdrumalot
11-02-2011, 05:09 AM
i just got my g73jh. what is a cheap but decent hardrive i should upgrade to boot from in the second bay?

BrodyBoy
11-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Are you thinking HDD or SSD? For HDDs, I've always had good luck with Western Digitial, so I'm partial to them. But not rigidly so...they're probably more of a commodity than anything, so any name brand should be fine. (Asus installs Seagate and Western Digital interchangeably in their assemblies, if that's any help.)

Brian@ASUS
11-02-2011, 07:56 AM
if you're looking for SSD, be sure not to waste money on a sata 3 ssd. G73JH does not support sata 3. only sata 2 speeds.

ScottinSoCal
11-02-2011, 10:21 AM
I'd also avoid the Seagate hybrid drives as a boot drive. There's been reports that the sleep mode causes stuttering and freezes on laptops when they're used as the OS drive. I have one I use as a data storage drive and it works great for that - fast transfer speeds and so far dead reliable.

Boosted_R
11-02-2011, 10:30 AM
if you're looking for SSD, be sure not to waste money on a sata 3 ssd. G73JH does not support sata 3. only sata 2 speeds.

What does the G74SX support?

BrodyBoy
11-02-2011, 10:31 AM
The G74SX supports SATA 3. (For the HDDs...the ODD is SATA 2.)

NeoteriX
11-02-2011, 03:38 PM

Good point although with SSDs, I consider them a long term investment (despite inherent wear issues). IMO, they'll last long enough to take to your next laptop and so you may want to consider SATA 3 for futureproofing. That said, SATA 2 SSD drives are already plenty darn fast and are one of the biggest improvements you can make to the performance of your computer. My Intel X-25m makes booting up and loading up programs like night and day.

Brian@ASUS
11-02-2011, 04:49 PM
i think it really depends how much you want to spend. $250 vs $500 on future proofing. that is if you get for example a intel 510 series...

but ssd will get cheaper and cheaper and i feel like if you are not going to take advantage of its performance now, it might be a waste of money. you're better off doing a raid setup with x2 sata2 ssd.

Kipper
11-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I have tried both SATA II & III SSD's on this G74 and you will not notice any speed difference so save some cash and go with a nice SATA II. Unless you just have to have some bragging rights. LOL

JRd1st
11-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Did you benchmark the drive speeds?

dstrakele
11-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I have tried both SATA II & III SSD's on this G74 and you will not notice any speed difference so save some cash and go with a nice SATA II. Unless you just have to have some bragging rights. LOL

Chastity@ASUS has previously mentioned disabling the C States with ThrottleStop to obtain better SSD SATA3 performance. Don't know if this actually works, but you could give it a try. Be aware that ThrottleStop needs to be running for this configuration change. It cannot permanently disable the C States. However it is possible to configure it to launch in a minimized state on Startup.

BrodyBoy
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
+1 I think people sometimes lose sight of real world applications. Differences that show up in sophisticated diagnostics don't make a whit of difference in the zillion tiny reads & writes that constitute most of our everyday usage.

JRd1st
11-02-2011, 06:25 PM
You're right, but when you regularly work with Photoshop, and 12MB RAW image files it does make a difference. That's why a comparitive benchmark between the series 510 and the 320 on a G74 would be helpful.

BrodyBoy
11-02-2011, 07:19 PM
If a 12Mb RAW file is writing to disc while you're working with it, you need more RAM! ;)

Kipper
11-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Did you benchmark the drive speeds?

Nope, probably should have benchmarked them in the second drive tray before the OS install; once the OS is on them it will affect the benchmark.

I had the Crucial M4 installed on my Rampage III BE so I put the OCZ Vertex 2 on the G74 to start with and them got to thinking I have things backwards here, so I wipe them both and swapped them between the systems. I really don't seem to see any difference in how fast the apps open, boot times, or anything else. But, then again the Crucial M4's are not the fastest of the SATA III drives anyways.