PDA

View Full Version : New G751JT, had for 3 weeks - frequent display not responding error

caike
12-21-2014, 01:43 AM
Hey all-

Purchased the ROG G751JT (NVIDIA 970M card) gaming laptop through Newegg.com during the black friday sale. It was running great up until a couple days ago when I started frequently getting the following error:

"DISPLAY DRIVER STOPPED RESPONDING AND HAS RECOVERED. DISPLAY DRIVER NVIDIA WINDOWS KERNEL MODE DRIVER, VERSION 344.75 STOP RESPONDING AND HAS SUCCESSFULLY RECOVERED."

The display gets distorted, crashes to black, and then recovers. Sometimes it happens as much as 2-3x within 5 minutes.

It's very frustrating considering how new the laptop is and what a great reputation this brand has. Anyone have any suggestions how to troubleshoot? I spoke to ASUS customer support and they had me install the driver through their website:

Chipset (1)
Version V9.4.0.1027
Description Intel INF Update Driver
File Size
5,49 (MBytes) 2013.10.28 update

It hasn't solved the issue, however.

Thanks in advance

caike
12-21-2014, 01:50 AM
To provide more clarity: it crashes occasionally when I am gaming (Napleon Total war, ultra settings), but more frustratingly, sometimes it will crash when waking the computer up from "sleep" mode or when I am browsing on the web. It has crashed when pulling up a youtube.com video before. I ran furmark for about 5 minutes to stress test it and it did not crash so I have no explanation. Appreciate any advice.

CocoNutty
12-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Go to the store where you bought it, demand a new laptop plus compensation or demand your money back plus compensation.If a product doesent work as advertised you have every right to demand your money back.Think about all the time and effort you wasted trying to fix a product that should work as advertised.

RMXM
12-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Go to the store where you bought it, demand a new laptop plus compensation or demand your money back plus compensation.If a product doesent work as advertised you have every right to demand your money back.Think about all the time and effort you wasted trying to fix a product that should work as advertised.
What do you mean by compensation CocoNutty? I have been having issues with my G751JT too, speakers are horrible over volume of 40 and even under sometimes and I sometimes get a weird sound from the left side when I leave it for a while and then touch it again.
Do you think I could get a refund or a change of product for these issues?

hmscott
12-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Hey all-

Purchased the ROG G751JT (NVIDIA 970M card) gaming laptop through Newegg.com during the black friday sale. It was running great up until a couple days ago when I started frequently getting the following error:

"DISPLAY DRIVER STOPPED RESPONDING AND HAS RECOVERED. DISPLAY DRIVER NVIDIA WINDOWS KERNEL MODE DRIVER, VERSION 344.75 STOP RESPONDING AND HAS SUCCESSFULLY RECOVERED."

The display gets distorted, crashes to black, and then recovers. Sometimes it happens as much as 2-3x within 5 minutes.

It's very frustrating considering how new the laptop is and what a great reputation this brand has. Anyone have any suggestions how to troubleshoot? I spoke to ASUS customer support and they had me install the driver through their website:

Chipset (1)
Version V9.4.0.1027
Description Intel INF Update Driver
File Size
5,49 (MBytes) 2013.10.28 update

It hasn't solved the issue, however.

Thanks in advance

caike, your symptoms point to a bad GPU, you needed to return it to the seller right when you started seeing distorted graphics coupled with the display driver crashing and restarting - those are the classic signs of an out of spec GPU.

You need to return it to the seller if you can, 3 weeks is getting long, try to tell them you didn't understand it was a failure with the hardware and try to explain you tried to solve it with updating software, but of course that wouldn't help.

If they won't take it back, or swap you for another one, escalate to the manager and calmly and politely explain the problem and that you need a replacement or refund if they don't have any in stock to swap for you.

This is known as an infant mortality hardware failure, it doesn't happen often, but we do see them from time to time, it's better if you catch it and return it right away so there is no drama involved in getting it swapped, but you still have a case for replacement.

If they can't return it for you, then you will need to RMA it to Asus, as it isn't going to get better on it's own, the GPU needs to be replaced - in the case of the G751 the Motherboard will be replaced.

Here is where you can create a login, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry stating the failure of the GPU and asking for an RMA. This will take weeks to fix, so it is better if you can return to the seller for another one or a refund.

https://vip.asus.com

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you :)

hmscott
12-25-2014, 12:21 PM
To provide more clarity: it crashes occasionally when I am gaming (Napleon Total war, ultra settings), but more frustratingly, sometimes it will crash when waking the computer up from "sleep" mode or when I am browsing on the web. It has crashed when pulling up a youtube.com video before. I ran furmark for about 5 minutes to stress test it and it did not crash so I have no explanation. Appreciate any advice.

caike, when the display driver crashes and restarts, it doesn't restore full speed - it runs at low speed, Nvidia does that so you have a stable system while you shutdown to restart - and then full speed is restored to the GPU.

If you ran Furmark after a display crash, and before rebooting, Furmark wouldn't run fast enough to crash the driver again as the GPU is running too slow.

If you ran Furmark after a reboot, and the GPU was running at full speed - before the display driver crashed, then Furmark may have crashed the driver and masked the error report and kept running.

Those symptoms haven't been driver related for quite a while, but you could try doing a Custom => Clean Nvidia driver install. Try the new 347.09 BETA, or 344.80, and when you start the installer, select Custom install, and then when the list of drivers to update/install comes up - check the Clean Install box under that list - you may reboot after uninstall so login again after reboot and wait patiently for the install to complete.

Please let us know if the driver install works, and if not how the seller / Asus treats you for the replacement/repair.

CocoNutty
12-25-2014, 01:03 PM
What do you mean by compensation CocoNutty? I have been having issues with my G751JT too, speakers are horrible over volume of 40 and even under sometimes and I sometimes get a weird sound from the left side when I leave it for a while and then touch it again.
Do you think I could get a refund or a change of product for these issues?
With compensation i mean money or a gift certificate for all the time and effort you wasted on something that should work as advertised.
Ofcourse your entitled to a refund plus compensation or product replacement plus compensation.Because you bought something that doesent work as advertised.

hmscott
12-25-2014, 01:15 PM
With compensation i mean money or a gift certificate for all the time and effort you wasted on something that should work as advertised.
Ofcourse your entitled to a refund plus compensation or product replacement plus compensation.Because you bought something that doesent work as advertised.

CocoNutty, faulty products get refunded, there is no additional compensation for lost time.

caike
12-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback, especially HMSCOTT. I RMA'd it back to newegg as fast as possible on the 23rd. They should receive it around Jan 2nd... which is technically outside the 30 day RMA window period since I bought it on December 1. However, this is mainly due to all the holidays that caused the shipping time to be delayed. They had BETTER NOT use this as a reason to not give me a replacement or I will have a hard time staying calm when escalating to a manager. I will let you all know of the outcome and my experience with newegg support.

caike
01-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Hey all, been a while - It took a while to get the replacement due to it being the holiday season and all. However, I finally received it on the Jan 21, after originally RMAing back to newegg on Dec 21st or so. I have been using it quite a bit, mostly on Rome 2 Total War on Ultra settings. I have not had a repeat of the driver display issue crashes. I will let you guys know in a couple weeks or so if the issue comes up again, but I think this one should be fine. The RMA process ... met my expectations - I called newegg, explained the problem, and they approved the RMA request. They had me print out a UPS shipping label. The most painful part was probably shipping the laptop back to newegg. I was concerned about it getting damaged during shipping so I spent a good amount of time jamming styrofoam into the box. Anyway, when they finally received it on Jan 8th, it took the standard 8-10 business days for them to review/test/approve the defective laptop and issue me a replacement. Was it the fastest service? no. Did I have to wait on hold a long time because it was the holiday season? yes. Did it suck paying 1750 for a laptop and not having to use it for a month while Newegg had my money? yes. But everything happened smoothly so I guess I can't complain too much. Thanks for your input again.

hmscott
01-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback, especially HMSCOTT. I RMA'd it back to newegg as fast as possible on the 23rd. They should receive it around Jan 2nd... which is technically outside the 30 day RMA window period since I bought it on December 1. However, this is mainly due to all the holidays that caused the shipping time to be delayed. They had BETTER NOT use this as a reason to not give me a replacement or I will have a hard time staying calm when escalating to a manager. I will let you all know of the outcome and my experience with newegg support.

Hey all, been a while - It took a while to get the replacement due to it being the holiday season and all. However, I finally received it on the Jan 21, after originally RMAing back to newegg on Dec 21st or so. I have been using it quite a bit, mostly on Rome 2 Total War on Ultra settings. I have not had a repeat of the driver display issue crashes. I will let you guys know in a couple weeks or so if the issue comes up again, but I think this one should be fine. The RMA process ... met my expectations - I called newegg, explained the problem, and they approved the RMA request. They had me print out a UPS shipping label. The most painful part was probably shipping the laptop back to newegg. I was concerned about it getting damaged during shipping so I spent a good amount of time jamming styrofoam into the box. Anyway, when they finally received it on Jan 8th, it took the standard 8-10 business days for them to review/test/approve the defective laptop and issue me a replacement. Was it the fastest service? no. Did I have to wait on hold a long time because it was the holiday season? yes. Did it suck paying 1750 for a laptop and not having to use it for a month while Newegg had my money? yes. But everything happened smoothly so I guess I can't complain too much. Thanks for your input again.

caike, that's great news!

Glad you got a fully working laptop this time around! It's all behind you now, and years of enjoyment ahead :)

And, it looks like driver updates are fixing up the issues affecting the G751, G-sync works with 347.25, and Realtek 6.0.1.7147 improved the sound.

Check your installed driver/app versions against the latest from Asus support areas:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52863-G750JS-Sleeps-when-playing-game-with-Lid-Closed-using-external-monitor&p=471385&viewfull=1#post471385

Have fun :)