PDA

View Full Version : 800D Water Cooling Adventure!

BADPhoenix
11-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm looking to come get some opinions on a custom water cooling loop for my system. I'm in an 800D with a Rampage III Black Edition motherboard looking to cool 2 GTX 590's, and an i7 990x with as much headroom as possible for overclocking on the CPU end. I am willing to mod the case for a triple rad at the top and a double rad at the bottom, but I was considering koolance's ERM-3K3UC. Any constructive opinions or ideas? I'm just looking to know whether or not it is worth my time to mod my case or just opt for an external solution. And if it is not the latter, does anybody have any clue where I can start in regards to case mods?

Brian@ASUS
11-02-2011, 10:16 PM
how high do you plan to overclock your system?

BADPhoenix
11-03-2011, 04:12 AM
I'd like to have the CPU sit at comfortably low temperatures at maybe 5GHz, and I don't plan to overclock the 590's too hard as they're overclocked at stock, but I may give it a go to see if I can't match or whomp a quad crossfire 6990 config my friend is running. We have a wager, I think that I have the edge because SLI tends to scale better when the CPU is clocked high enough to remove the bottlenecks and with a little overclocking on the GPU end I'm thinking I can accomplish this, so pretty high clock on CPU, but not so much on GPU.

Kipper
11-03-2011, 04:45 AM
I have the Rampage III BE with the 980X in my 800D and cooled with a Swiftech H20-320 Edge kit. No modding necessary for a triple RAD in the 800D unless you used the kit I am using then you do need to drill one small fill port hole on the top panel which was simple enough.

Cooling the GPUs along with the processor you will need a custom loop and depending on the length of the RAD at the bottom you will most likely not have to MOD anything there either; water cooling holes are pre-drilled and come with rubber grommets for the lines up to 3/4 OD on the panel just above the PSU mounting area.

The 800D is a nice case for liquid cooling with tons of options, you are going to enjoy doing your setup with it.

Just a thought you might look at the 240 Edge Kit for the GPUs and mount that in the bottom and maybe the 320 Edge kit for the top panel. One nice thing about these kits is the Rad is custom with built in pump and res and makes for a very clean install.

I would recommend that you take a close look at the Koolance CP370 block for the processor it is 3-5C cooler than the included block with the kits, but they do a nice job also.

BADPhoenix
11-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I have to say, I like your suggestions Kipper, better than the hefty $1200+ for the external unit I was considering. I may take on this venture, I like the idea of having them on separate loops, better temps for both sets, right? I know it's been done before, but I'll make a detailed guide on how to remove the hard drive cage so as to start my progress somewhere! I was going to do it before I installed everything but I decided not to for some stupid reason. I don't need 6+ drives... Can you tell me more about koolance's water block?

Kipper
11-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I will put together some ideas for you but I think you are on the right track, just take your time and don't pull the trigger on ordering anything until you fill really comfortable that you have everything needed for the setup.

A nice thing about the Swiftech units is you can set them up with your lines and block setup to fit your needs and then fill the system at the port on the RAD and run the pump for several hours with the unit sitting in the sink to check for leaks and purge the air from the system. Once you are satisfied you don't have any leaks and the line is clear of air then just bold the RAD into place and mount the CPU block.

I would suggest that you remove your components and if needed you can use the motherboard box as a bench to set the board on and then hook up your components and use your system like that until you get the 800D ready to receive the RADs.

If you want I can snap a couple pics of the 320 kit as I have it setup here and where you will drill the fill port hole in the top panel.

BADPhoenix
11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I'd love to see some pictures! Just to get an idea of what I'm dealing with here