PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G751JT - Black screen / booting problem

Pingo
12-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Hi guys, do you have any solution how to fix the problem. Sometimes (not always) when I turn on the computer (fresh turn on, not after restart) the screen before logging into Win 8.1 goes black (right after ROG logo pops up, it happens in the moment when the logos (to win login screen) are switching). The screen is turn on (the backlight is shinning), but it is black. The notebook is running, HDD light is on, also the sound is working (e.g. when I hit the steam key, I can hear starting the steam), but I can not see mouse pointer. Also the keyboard is working. The only solution how to solve it is either turn it off or close it (in which case, when you reopen it, the screen saver will pop).

I did some preliminary googling and looks like Win 8.1 issue (or chipset / graphic drivers). Of course, everything is updated. I also did 2-times fresh reinstalls. No help. Did you please encounter with this problem (also on other machines)? Besides the sound problem (which I hope is being fixed), it is quite frustrating to have these issues on brand new machine.

Thank you.

Killam0n
12-23-2014, 02:51 PM
I have the same issue im not sure if its windows 8 or my laptop. Its like 50/50 if it will boot with a working display or not and if not i have to hit the power button to turn off then back on.

CocoNutty
12-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Same here im thinking either i want a new laptop and compensation, punitive damages and all that.Or my money back plus punitive damages, there's to many threads on the net about problems with asus laptops i dont really trust asus anymore.

hmscott
12-25-2014, 11:47 AM
Hi guys, do you have any solution how to fix the problem. Sometimes (not always) when I turn on the computer (fresh turn on, not after restart) the screen before logging into Win 8.1 goes black (right after ROG logo pops up, it happens in the moment when the logos (to win login screen) are switching). The screen is turn on (the backlight is shinning), but it is black. The notebook is running, HDD light is on, also the sound is working (e.g. when I hit the steam key, I can hear starting the steam), but I can not see mouse pointer. Also the keyboard is working. The only solution how to solve it is either turn it off or close it (in which case, when you reopen it, the screen saver will pop).

I did some preliminary googling and looks like Win 8.1 issue (or chipset / graphic drivers). Of course, everything is updated. I also did 2-times fresh reinstalls. No help. Did you please encounter with this problem (also on other machines)? Besides the sound problem (which I hope is being fixed), it is quite frustrating to have these issues on brand new machine.

Thank you.

Pingo, the predominant cause of these Black Screen problems have been Microsoft Updates. Try doing the F9 reset (not refresh) with the internet disabled - turn off the router or at least disconnect the Ethernet cable and turn off Wifi, so that the OS can't do updates after it installs, but default it will immediately start doing updates during and immediately after install, and if you timed it wrong (got unlucky) you may have tried your reloads too soon and the bad KB was still out there to download and Microsoft hadn't pulled it yet.

After the reload, while the internet is still off, go into the OS (set up a local login), and turn off automatic Microsoft Updates - then review updates as they become available and make sure to note which ones you install in case the problem comes back again, then you know which one(s) to uninstall.

Here is a list of google hits for the Windows 8.1 Black screen issue, find the most recent ones and note which KB's they list as bad. And for now don't install them or the replacement ones Microsoft issues, until things stabilize.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+8.1+black+screen+on+boot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Please come back and let us know how that works out.

CocoNutty
12-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Im trying to figure out if i should waste anymore time on this like wtf.I dont care if its asus microsoft or what ever.I want a working laptop as advertised and compensation for all the time i already wasted.

Like its to the point where, if i go to the shop on saturday.If they dont fix my laptop on the spot or give me a new one plus compensation im gonna tear some **** up : )

hmscott
12-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Im trying to figure out if i should waste anymore time on this like wtf.I dont care if its asus microsoft or what ever.I want a working laptop as advertised and compensation for all the time i already wasted.

CocoNutty, this isn't unusual for any make/model of hardware when the software updates cause problems, and Microsoft is fixing the problems as they come up - although it would be nice if the problems stopped coming, so perhaps a Windows laptop isn't for you right now?

There is a certain amount of patience and maturity needed to deal with these issues, and I know how frustrating it was the first few times for me, but after doing this for many years you get used to dealing with reality vs. the mind's eye view of perfection.

If you aren't ready to accept those frustrations then return it and do something else.

But, if you want to work through the problems, then we are here to help. :)

CocoNutty
12-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Maturity ? false advertising plain and simple they dident tell me all those things when i bought the laptop.I gave up trying, just gonna go to the store on saturday.I know none of the employees can help it.But im not gonna leave the store in peace if they dont give me my money back or give me a new or fixed laptop plus compensation.

(edit im not sure if its because of the windows its been updated for awhile now so it could be asus to)

hmscott
12-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Maturity ? false advertising plain and simple they dident tell me all those things when i bought the laptop.I gave up trying, just gonna go to the store on saturday.I know none of the employees can help it.But im not gonna leave the store in peace if they dont give me my money back or give me a new or fixed laptop plus compensation.
(edit im not sure if its because of the windows its been updated for awhile now so it could be asus to)

CocoNutty, I hope you get your money back :)

You aren't going to get compensation beyond your money back from the purchase. Just like any other faulty product the stores responsibility is to make good on the sale by returning your $, which might include a restocking fee - so be nice to those people.

They can require a restocking fee - it's likely listed on your receipt.

If you are nice, and explain it is a failure not a dissatisfaction causing you to return the laptop they will likely waive the restocking fee.

If they suggest giving you another one, explain the problem seems to be with a lot of units, and you don't want to take the chance on getting another bad one, suggest they open it up and you try it together, or tell them you don't want to go through this waste of time again.

But, don't ask for compensation, it could set the transaction off in the wrong direction.

Good luck!

CocoNutty
12-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Hey im a nice guy i dont attack blind souljah's : ) information is the key.But i will ask for compensation because i feel entitled to one after my phonebill and all the time and effort i spend trying to fix it.I will let you know how things went.

hmscott
12-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Hey im a nice guy i dont attack blind souljah's : ) information is the key.But i will ask for compensation because i feel entitled to one after my phonebill and all the time and effort i spend trying to fix it.I will let you know how things went.

CocoNutty, try to think of it from the point of view of the business owner, they didn't make the laptop, they followed state and government laws in selling it to you, and provide for return under those laws. There is no law covering compensation for lost time. You are just going to confuse the situation if you ask.

If you are a good customer, and have spent a lot of money there, they will likely give you a break on the price of the *next* laptop you get from them; you can even mention that during the return, that will make it go smoother as well for when you get the next laptop - remind them of the previous return.

But, out and out payment for lost time isn't going to happen :)

CocoNutty
12-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Im not talking lost time alone.I can take my phonebill to the shop and show them that i spend 13 euro for nothing.Im not asking for money a gift certificate would be a nice compensation to.And what about all the valuable data i lost say for instance i had expensive software installed.What about the state and government laws in selling it to me ?.False advertising is false advertising the product they sold to me dident work as advertised and because of that i missed out on work to.And what about all the time im gonna have to spend reinstalling all the software copying files etc... and what about my travel cost's.No no no im entitled to a compensation

CocoNutty
12-25-2014, 03:31 PM
And what if i cause a traffic accident when i drive to the shop because im stressed and frustrated because of the situation.Lol nah but still its possible.There's a movie in this : ) Its called The Laptop Or how 1 man's broken laptop lead to murder, rape and all kinds of buffoonery.

Killam0n
12-26-2014, 05:38 PM
I foud a fix, update your bios. Worked for me, I updated the bios from a flash drive booting strait into bios not via windows updating method, not that i think it would matter which way you do it, just thought id share.

Note after updating bios while booting it sometimes shows the rog logo with the white circle of dots duplicated showing 3 of them the two to the sides smaller.. kinda weird but my video seems to be working now so I really dont care. Id guess they are having some issues displaying the silly low res bootup screens.

To the guy above: coconutty clearly you've never owned a gaming computer before, do us all a favor please return it and buy a mac. Then win3 about it when it cant run games on low, that I can run on ultra. Asus is one of the top brands in the pc market yes pcs are running into some issues at the moment but its mostly because of Microsoft.

Update your bios if having blank screen issues while booting this laptop.

lancelot
12-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Just a thought: since fn+f7 turns off the screen, does pressing it twice fix the issue?

El-Diablo
02-01-2015, 03:47 AM
I bought my 751 three days ago and yesterday I encountered the black screen issue for the first time yesterday then again today. I was able to restore the screen by plugging a hdmi cable in laptop. The Screen will then show on the HDMI device. I tried lots of different methods to restore and stop the issue. I found that if you troubleshoot devices on Control Panel it lists that there has been a hardware change and then fixes the problem.

I have just restored the computer to original save point and have turned off windows updates to see if this fixes the problem.

In regards to getting your money back in Australia there is clear consumer protection for this type of issue ASUS needs to fix the problem and fast. At the very least they should issue a technical bulletin to registered users telling you how to fix it. I am extremely dissapointed with this issue on a brand new high end laptop and find it completely unacceptable.

I saw another response where the person was told its a windows laptop and you should expect issues and if you don't like it don't use windows. It is not the consumers responsibility to make their laptop work it is the seller.

cLLii
02-02-2015, 01:08 AM
there is someone who has solved this problem ? my pc does not always .. but should not even do it ..

Alevi
02-02-2015, 04:28 PM
No solutions.

I got the same problem

Check my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9KMVT4c_g

El-Diablo
02-06-2015, 09:25 PM
I have had no problems for a week then this morning no screen again. Same solution Microsoft is detectign a hardware change and disabling the nvidia driver. Using windows troubleshooting fixes it but you have to plug in a HDMI device so you can see what your doing. I'm very pissed off right now ASUS needs to fix this issue.

Shadowdeity
02-09-2015, 05:09 PM
It's a static issue. Press and hold the power button for 45 seconds (laptop will turn off), this does a power drain and when you turn your laptop back on, it should work correctly. It's happened to me several times, and this works everytime. Very annoying, not sure what causes it, but it seems to work. Hope this helps.

leonius84
04-05-2015, 02:27 PM
im having the exact same issue.black screen on boot up but windows is running fine when i connect to hdmi device
does anyone know if this is a hardware problem or a windows problem
iv only had my laptop for 3months, not sure to take it back to my seller

Diskman
07-21-2015, 05:12 PM
After being on tech chat with asus for almost 2 hours I have figured out that they have no idea what is causing this. But I feel it is a bios+monitor issue. This laptop boots so fast they do not let it initialize the hardware before loading drivers. I believe it could be fixed with a bios upgrade to slow down boot process and let the hardware initialize. What I am basically saying is the bios is to fast for the monitor and hardware initialization time. A 1 sec boot delay could make all the difference. Just a thought. I have worked in this industry for 25+ years and I have seen this on desktops many times in the past and it has always turned out to be not letting hardware initialize fully. That is another reason why on some desktop boards there is that double boot from the bios on cold boot. But Asus just needs to fix this or stop selling these laptops.

Chadd
07-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Disable windows fast boot.
This fixes the problem.

Diskman
08-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Sorry but disabling fast boot does not fix problem. This issue needs to be addressed buy asus immediately. We pay for a top of the line product and should get service that equals.

Chadd
08-07-2015, 06:55 PM
It fixed the problem for me.
Have you had the problem since upgrading to windows 10?

Diskman
08-08-2015, 01:15 AM
Had problem with 8.1 and 10.

hotrod21
08-20-2015, 12:37 AM
I am currently having this same problem. Blank screen after turning on the laptop - G751 running Windows 10. Is there a solution? I have searched the internet and Asus forums, but there does not seem to be a solid fix to it yet. Suggestions?

hotrod21
08-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Update: Saved updated bios - 208 - to a jump drive, restarted pushing F2, installed updated bios (mine was 206), problem solved.

di Valenti
08-21-2015, 10:31 AM
um... little over reaction here - the laptop is fine - it's not broken, this is just typical tech stuff... as stated just restart it - this happens to me every now and then (repeats a few times), so I restart it, and if need be restart it again... it's going to be on all the Windows 8-10 machines for a while, it's an OS boot issue... if the PC was broken or defective it just wouldn't start at all - software, not hardware issue - there will be a fix for it at some point... relax, it's not like your running Linux! ... with Wine for game... oh my.

gtrelapl
08-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Secureboot disable like this

joshindaphils
08-21-2015, 12:18 PM
For what it is worth I've had my JY since Nov and have never had this issue. From what I've read there seems to be an issue with the video driver and fast boot.

The thing that I am probably doing different than most is I have hibernation disabled. This disables Fastboot as there is a dependency with the hibernation file. I did this mostly to recoup the 24GB of disk space the hibernation file was taken up.

I would bet that if you follow the below guide your black screen issue will go away:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2859-hibernate-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

Hopeful nVidia, MS, or whomever gets their act together for those that want / need hibernation.

beststevie
10-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Hi,

to me it happened with win8, 10, Ubuntu. I reproduced this error now the 3rd time. The 1rst and 2nd time it ended in
no more booting to the black screen, but to the Rog Logo and nothing more. Asus has exchanged the motherboard (2 times) to solve the problem.

This time it happened exactly the same way as before:

- Dual Boot System didn't boot any more - (system was running 2months in this configuration without error)
- Bios was reseted
- Bios Message "invalid signature", disabling secure boot let me boot again
- fresh install Ubuntu, booting normally
- about 20 times rebooting > booting to Black Screen

In this state, system freezes and does not answer to strg+alt+delete any more. Just pressing 4sex. Power Button can stop.

The 1rst and 2nd Time I started to play around with Bios settings, which ended as described with an totally bricked motherboard.

I cannot find anything in this thread, I didn't try before. Nothing helped!!!
I'm going to play around with "fastboot and co" again. As I did a perfect documentation I'm looking forward to get back my money as it's already the 3rd time in 11 months. Hope my next notebook is something I can work with (sure no Asus).

Have much fun!

steve

Gps3dx
10-04-2015, 01:38 PM
to me it happened with win8, 10, Ubuntu. I reproduced this error now the 3rd time. The 1rst and 2nd time it ended in
no more booting to the black screen, but to the Rog Logo and nothing more. Asus has exchanged the motherboard (2 times) to solve the problem.

This time it happened exactly the same way as before:

- Dual Boot System didn't boot any more - (system was running 2months in this configuration without error)
- Bios was reseted

By all the old and the new gods - why the frak can't you READ THE STICKIES and SEARCH THE FORUM ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Just for example: (G751JT booting issues after SSD installation) (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74581-G751JT-booting-issues-after-SSD-installation) -> you think you're "special" that you're the 1st person in g751 history that had this issue ?!?!?!
How about READING THE DAMN STICKIES !!???? like that one: Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation) -> READ THE PART "The "why should I bother" ?" !!!!

What you're both describing here might be the same problem or NOT !
@beststevie - you're dualboot and expect to get ASUS RMA support for that ? good luck !
1st learn how to actually install OS properly, if you don't want to waste your time with empty claims for asus rma ! ( hint: your problem is software only... you just don't know how to install OSs properly ! )
plus, there are MULTIPLE bootloaders scattered through the net: windows, grub, grub2, burg, etc..etc..etc..etc..etc...etc..etc..etc.. !!!!!!!
( so at least, you'll be able to boot ubuntu at min with their help !)
@Pingo - enter the damn links i've just wrote above - and for gods sake - READ THEM !!!!
I won't be willing to continue helping noobs threads if you don't fraking willing to READ, the gods-damn STICKIES and willing to perform SEARCH, READ and self-learning !

For the love-of-gods, your problem is purely, bios config and/or csm/uefi compatible boot method with compatible windows bios/uefi installation type.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/12KiGLydHEdak8/200.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE STOP FILLING THIS FORUM WITH REPEATED
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED IN DETAILES, ANSWERED QUESTIONS !!!!!

beststevie
10-04-2015, 07:37 PM
By all the old and the new gods - why the frak can't you READ THE STICKIES and SEARCH THE FORUM ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Just for example: (G751JT booting issues after SSD installation) (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74581-G751JT-booting-issues-after-SSD-installation) -> you think you're "special" that you're the 1st person in g751 history that had this issue ?!?!?!
How about READING THE DAMN STICKIES !!???? like that one: Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation) -> READ THE PART "The "why should I bother" ?" !!!!

What you're both describing here might be the same problem or NOT !
@beststevie - you're dualboot and expect to get ASUS RMA support for that ? good luck !
1st learn how to actually install OS properly, if you don't want to waste your time with empty claims for asus rma ! ( hint: your problem is software only... you just don't know how to install OSs properly ! )
plus, there are MULTIPLE bootloaders scattered through the net: windows, grub, grub2, burg, etc..etc..etc..etc..etc...etc..etc..etc.. !!!!!!!
( so at least, you'll be able to boot ubuntu at min with their help !)
@Pingo - enter the damn links i've just wrote above - and for gods sake - READ THEM !!!!
I won't be willing to continue helping noobs threads if you don't fraking willing to READ, the gods-damn STICKIES and willing to perform SEARCH, READ and self-learning !

For the love-of-gods, your problem is purely, bios config and/or csm/uefi compatible boot method with compatible windows bios/uefi installation type.

PLEASE STOP FILLING THIS FORUM WITH REPEATED
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED IN DETAILES, ANSWERED QUESTIONS !!!!!

Did you ever consult a doctor for your problems?

Some here can read. I had already 2 (3 altogether) RMAs. Problem persists with the original installation. And as I wrote, system was already running for more than 2 months? I don't know, how your analysis is working, but first you should read a bit more. And maybe ask your mother, how to communicate with other adults? I don't know what you make thinking, that I don't know how to install a windows or linux properly?

Please do us a favor and don't continue writing unfriendly and not very helpful things here.

cheers

steve

xeromist
10-05-2015, 04:03 AM
@Gps3dx, Pingo's post predates both of the threads you are referring to. Saying someone should have looked at something that wasn't even posted yet doesn't make much sense.

Regardless, if you see someone asking a question you feel has been answered you can (nicely) point them to it, or ignore them. Yelling is not an acceptable choice.

Gps3dx
10-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Regardless, if you see someone asking a question you feel has been answered you can (nicely) point them to it, or ignore them. Yelling is not an acceptable choice.

@xeromist - hello, and thank you for your reply.
I'm a forum activist in serveral major forums around the net, one of them is XDA developers.
In this forums, the admins wrote clear rule that states that ppl should SEARCH and post technical information as much as possible.

In this G751 forum, as lately, I can see only "whining posts", with barely tech specific info provided by the whiners.
Those kind of post, just bombarding the forum for no reason - because if they would actually search through the forum search engine or through google (with the switch site:rog.asus.com) they can found MULTIPLE posts around their subject/problem, if not better a guide with a solution.

Moreover, lately in this forum ppl debate if one "should buy a game", which should be moved to other general discussion areas in asus forums !

I do not know if you're asus employ, but I can see that you're admin.
Can you please elaborate how asus benefits from this forum WITHOUT CLEAR RULES that ask for an order ??
I would suggest clear separation of the laptop serie into more sub forums ( I.E technical problem / general talk / original development etc..etc.. )
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the idea behind this forums if to lower the RMA calls count, globally.
Does asus make a joke out of the ROG top laptop or is it their most pro serie, that should have a forum with a professional content ?

Now, please, don't get me wrong - My ONLY complaint is that NO BODY in ASUS takes the G75x Serie seriously enough to make changes to the forum tree - so that there could be PROFESSIONAL SHARING OF IDEAS AND SOLUTIONS for the crappy bugs out there.
it is about time to make a sub-forum for professional help, and leave all the child-talks behind.

Can I ask you please to please contact all the relevant admins/asus representatives - and ask them to consider dividing the "G752, G751, G771, G551 and GL552 Gaming Notebooks" forum into AT LEAST 2 SUB-FORUMS: 1) Technical help/development 2) General talk.
In addition I would ask them to ENFORCE STRICT RULES, so there will NOT be a general talk in the "Technical help/development" sub-forum, plus ppl will get warning if they post a new thread about a theme that was already covered&discussed, and if they continue to do that again, their thread might get closed.
In addition I would ask them to provide an admin that visit DAILY these forum, which enforce these rules, and move around posts to other forums as necessary.
if Asus cannot provide an admin to the task, I am willing to volunteer.
( search my history activity, see for your self how many guides i've wrote )

I beg of you - this absurd continue for too long - it about time that asus takes this matter seriously.

joshindaphils
10-05-2015, 12:35 PM
@xeromist - hello, and thank you for your reply.
I'm a forum activist in serveral major forums around the net, one of them is XDA developers.
In this forums, the admins wrote clear rule that states that ppl should SEARCH and post technical information as much as possible.

In this G751 forum, as lately, I can see only "whining posts", with barely tech specific info provided by the whiners.
Those kind of post, just bombarding the forum for no reason - because if they would actually search through the forum search engine or through google (with the switch site:rog.asus.com) they can found MULTIPLE posts around their subject/problem, if not better a guide with a solution.

Moreover, lately in this forum ppl debate if one "should buy a game", which should be moved to other general discussion areas in asus forums !

Can you please elaborate how asus benefits from this forum WITHOUT CLEAR RULES that ask for an order ??
I would suggest clear separation of the laptop serie into more sub forums ( I.E technical problem / general talk / original development etc..etc.. )
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the idea behind this forums if to lower the RMA calls count, globally.
Does asus make a joke out of the ROG top laptop or is it their most pro serie, that should have a forum with a professional content ?

Now, please, don't get me wrong - My ONLY complaint is that NO BODY in ASUS takes the G75x Serie seriously enough to make changes to the forum tree - so that there could be PROFESSIONAL SHARING OF IDEAS AND SOLUTIONS for the crappy bugs out there.
it is about time to make a sub-forum for professional help, and leave all the child-talks behind.

Can I ask you please to please contact all the relevant admins/asus representatives - and ask them to consider dividing the "G752, G751, G771, G551 and GL552 Gaming Notebooks" forum into AT LEAST 2 SUB-FORUMS: 1) Technical help/development 2) General talk.
In addition I would ask them to ENFORCE STRICT RULES, so there will NOT be a general talk in the "Technical help/development" sub-forum, plus ppl will get warning if they post a new thread about a theme that was already covered&discussed, and if they continue to do that again, their thread might get closed.
In addition I would ask them to provide an admin that visit DAILY these forum, which enforce these rules, and move around posts to other forums as necessary.
( search my history activity, see for your self how many guides i've wrote )

I beg of you - this absurd continue for too long - it about time that asus takes this matter seriously.

Sorry for the OT post, but I would like to give Gps3dx some additional perspective.

Gps3dx,

As a fellow activist I feel your pain on the unesiary posting and new thread creation.

I've struggled with your post though on whether or not to give you negative rep and I'll explain why.

You complain about people not reading the forum and searching when there have been several occurrences where it is clear you are not back reading yourself when posting your complaint, this one included.

Your conduct is not professional or respectful. Everyone know all caps is yelling, and on top of that you add multiple exclamation marks, repeat words / phrases and then just to make sure every gets the hostility (you may view hostility as point) you add not one but two nuclear explosions. Admittedly the first time you did this I assumed it was a one off and viewed it as funny and you where just blowing off steam.

The only reason I haven't negative rep'ed you is because I believe your intentions are good and to be helpful as evident by the guides you have put together.

As someone that has worked support gigs for some time in a variety of capacities (T1 - T3 / engineering) I've learned the following; Incompetence is everywhere (even amongst your IT colleagues) deal with it and no matter what your intent and willingness to help if you project a bad attitude you will not be seen as being helpful no matter the extent of your actions to the contrary.

As someone that started in IT at 16 yo full time and was quite good at that time (though not as good as I thought) it took me a while to figure out the not projecting a bad attitude part. I hope you can find the light on this is well and be better for it as a forum activist and perhap professionally.

Gps3dx
10-05-2015, 01:14 PM
As someone that started in IT at 16 yo full time and was quite good at that time (though not as good as I thought) it took me a while to figure out the not projecting a bad attitude part. I hope you can find the light on this is well and be better for it as a forum activist and perhap professionally.

hi there,
thank you for your comment, I appreciate your input on this.
You're correct: My comments lately have been *nor nice*.
The reason for that is that I grew tired of the way ASUS & its admins deals with the meritocracy of this forum.
I should stop comment as I do - cause the ADMINS and the ASUS REP responsible of this forum should do their work to make this forum in-league with forum such as XDA developers !

Please, let us continue debate on this issue in a new thread I'm going to post in the next few moments.

@beststevie - look at your PM.

Corporal
10-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Problem persists with the original installation.
Same here. I've had the issue since I got the laptop. Thankfully I don't ever hibernate/shutdown my laptop, otherwise it would be a real bummer.

Gps3dx, if you have a solution for the Black screen issue that actually WORKS, please do share with us, instead of blaming our issues on our alleged incompetence.

Gps3dx
10-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Same here. I've had the issue since I got the laptop. Thankfully I don't ever hibernate/shutdown my laptop, otherwise it would be a real bummer.

Gps3dx, if you have a solution for the Black screen issue that actually WORKS, please do share with us, instead of blaming our issues on our alleged incompetence.

OK.. lets see that we're on the same line:
You're seeing that black screen when after you post and before windows loads up ?
I.E press power button, see the rog/intel logo for few sec... then you got a black screen with/without blinking cursor.... then windows boot up / NOT boot up and you get stuck in that lack screen ? ( please reply which/what exactly ).

Please also tell me if you're dualbooting, if so, what is your bootloader( win \ grub \other ? )
Please note that it is most difficult to diagnost a system having dualboot as it complicated everthing !

Please tell me if your bios clock remembers the right configured time / or it "forget" what time is it.

Corporal
10-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Post loads fine, I see ROG / intel+windows (tried both secure/non secure boot) logo(s), screen stays dark right where it normally shows the login screen, blinking hdd light shows that windows is loading files normally.
After that I press fn + sleep to enter sleep mode, then wake it up again and the screen is on. Everything I type in while being "blind" also stays in the password input field.
Bios remembers correct time, no dualbooting, had this issue on both stock 8.1 and now clean install 10. Had this issue on both G751JY's I returned to the store (stock windows 8.1).

xeromist
10-06-2015, 01:10 AM
In this forums, the admins wrote clear rule that states that ppl should SEARCH and post technical information as much as possible. There is such an expectation as it makes everything smoother and reduces noise, however the absence of effort doesn't mean we should yell at people. Two wrongs do not make a right as they say. If a particular user posts duplicate threads or derails topics then they can be reported with the report function. Asking a question that has been answered can be addressed by kindly pointing the user to the original answer. Moderators can close the new thread as needed. Otherwise other forum users simply need to ignore them. Angrily trying to correct them only puts them on the defensive and creates conflict.

Those kind of post, just bombarding the forum for no reason - because if they would actually search through the forum search engine or through google (with the switch site:rog.asus.com) they can found MULTIPLE posts around their subject/problem, if not better a guide with a solution.Not everyone is technically savvy. Search engine switches and relevant technical specifications are not immediately obvious to many people. Also, people post angry things before thinking about troubleshooting or they simply want to be angry rather than troubleshoot.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the idea behind this forums if to lower the RMA calls count, globally.I am a volunteer moderator. I am basically a customer like you who was asked to help with SPAM cleanup and dispute moderation.

The current sub-forum structure was created after careful consideration. ASUS management did not want many branching sub-forums as it would fragment discussion around similar products and be intimidating to new users. They also accounted for expansion as new models are released in the future. So while it's unlikely to change again it's certainly possible if many users request it.

In answer to your other point, this forum was created as a user discussion forum. Later a few @ASUS people were added to handle RMA escalation but there is not a technical staff to address support questions beyond a few volunteers. It's possible this may change if ASUS management decides to make this an official technical support channel but right now it is still user-driven.

In addition I would ask them to provide an admin that visit DAILY these forum, which enforce these rules, and move around posts to other forums as necessary.What I've said above should address these points but I'll reiterate for clarity. In keeping with purpose of open user discussion we are generally pretty lenient. If people post things in the wrong area we will move them. (you can let us know with the report function). Also if people are fighting we will intervene but we hope most will see reason and work it out themselves.

( search my history activity, see for your self how many guides i've wrote )I recognize your effort and I certainly would not diminish that. I would only say that personally I think the most important qualities for a moderator are people skills, not technical skill. If a moderator cannot carry out their duties in a dispassionate and fair manner they create the same hostile environment they are charged to diffuse as a moderator.

I do not select moderators but this would be my advice to those wishing to have ASUS attention the next time the moderator team is expanded: Demonstrate even temper, the ability to diffuse conflicts, be present often, and help others as you are able. These are the qualities that have been selected in the past. I also want to note that meaning well isn't always enough as we've seen well-meaning members badger angry new ROG'rs and start new conflicts. You have to be able to read people to know when to just leave them alone until they calm themselves.

joshindaphils
10-06-2015, 02:40 AM
@xeromist very good reply and right one the money. I couldn't of said it better myself, and I started to twice. As well it certainly carries more weight from an admin.

I hope he does take this constructive criticism the right way. It would be wonderful to see his enthusiasm channeled in a more constructive manner.

@Gps3dx you will find it is often perception more than anything that carries the most weight in any form of communication. As well in reference to your other thread on the matter it is bad form to asume you know more than the people actually doing the work. As illustrated in Xeromist post there are clearly aspects you have not considered. First and foremost being you making direct comparison between a general user forum and a developers forum.

There is etiquette outside of forum etiquette that should be adhered to as well.

It is best to approach such situations with an inquisitive / probing approach, i.e. 'Why is it done this way? It seams on the surface that it would be better this way.'

An authoritative approach will rarely work out for your goals unless you are in fact a subject matter expert and can back your points with hard facts. Even then I would argue this is not the (pun alert) forum for an authoritative stance on change.

These are the types of things professionals consider when communicating with others.

It is more important that your message is well received and understood as intended then it is to communicate correct information when it comes to professional correspondence. If you desire to be an admin then you should demonstrate a higher level of professionalism.

I hope you can overcome your communications hurdle and become an admin. I think you are capable of adding a lot to the community.

As well exercising such discipline for relatively trivial matters will help your professional correspondence as well.

For the record I'm a 20 year IT vet and have done everything from break / fix to management to executive level work in my career. I note this because I want to convey my empathy; the communications hurdle was the most difficult for me to realize and overcome.

beststevie
10-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Hi,

with friendly help of Gps3dx I could identify the error in my case:

- it is caused by the last Ubuntu Kernel Update
- I can reproduce it
- it changes something in the Bootloader/EFI section, which seems to cause the error (Grub Update)

This evening I will try the Ubuntu 15.10 Beta 2 with Kernel 4 to see if it has the same problem.

Way of solution:

- I did a fresh install of windows
- I restored c:\ with acronis and my last Backup of Windows
- I installed Ubuntu. Up to here all worked fine
- directly after Kernel Update, error occurs

cheers

steve

xeromist
10-07-2015, 05:50 AM
Excellent! Thank you Gps3dx!

TheKnight
10-07-2015, 07:44 AM

Thank you.

1) As you said Microsoft updates but I don't know any solutions about that.
2) (Most common with ROGs) The reason is that fast start-up and hibernation are enabled. To disable them go to control panel ->Hardware and Sound->Power options. Once you get to the power options you should see "Balanced" and all the other battery options. If you see those it means that you are in the correct page and on your left you should see an option that says "Choose what closing the lid does". Click that and you should see "Define power buttons and turn on password protection". If you see that you are in the correct page. Then, click the option that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable" (you need to be the administrator). Afterwards, scroll down and un-check the fast start-up option and un-check the hibernation option too (if it is already un-checked DO NOT bother it). Click "Save changes" once you're done , restart and once you are done restarting and you are on the desktop try shutting down your PC and see if you get a blackscreen. If the blackscreen persists then contact the store where you bought your laptop from or contact ASUS. I haven't had this problem but I un-checked those just to be safe. I hope this helps. :)

Corporal
10-07-2015, 07:46 AM
If the blackscreen persists then contact the store where you bought your laptop from or contact ASUS.
Haha good luck with that :rolleyes:

Gps3dx
10-07-2015, 12:18 PM
In answer to your other point, this forum was created as a user discussion forum. Later a few @ASUS people were added to handle RMA escalation but there is not a technical staff to address support questions beyond a few volunteers. It's possible this may change if ASUS management decides to make this an official technical support channel but right now it is still user-driven.

What I've said above should address these points but I'll reiterate for clarity. In keeping with purpose of open user discussion we are generally pretty lenient. If people post things in the wrong area we will move them. (you can let us know with the report function). Also if people are fighting we will intervene but we hope most will see reason and work it out themselves.

I recognize your effort and I certainly would not diminish that. I would only say that personally I think the most important qualities for a moderator are people skills, not technical skill. If a moderator cannot carry out their duties in a dispassionate and fair manner they create the same hostile environment they are charged to diffuse as a moderator.

@Gps3dx you will find it is often perception more than anything that carries the most weight in any form of communication. As well in reference to your other thread on the matter it is bad form to asume you know more than the people actually doing the work. As illustrated in Xeromist post there are clearly aspects you have not considered. First and foremost being you making direct comparison between a general user forum and a developers forum.

I hope you can overcome your communications hurdle and become an admin. I think you are capable of adding a lot to the community.

As well exercising such discipline for relatively trivial matters will help your professional correspondence as well.

Excellent! Thank you Gps3dx!

@xeromist, @joshindaphils at-al,
Thank you for the reply in the latest matter I wrote about.
I see your point, and I'll try to do my best not to reply in any "non-conventional" approach.
I understand that this issue is more important then any other claim\subject one might rise.

following @beststevie reply, you can see I've managed to help him through PM channel.
technically speaking ( only ), I was right, it was never a HW problem but only wrong OSs installation combined with wrong bios configuration.
nevertheless, as I wrote above, my reply approach will change.

I wonder though, does that "posting-new-thread-mania-for-no-good-reason" - doesn't it bothers you at all ?
if so, in your opinion, what are the viable option exist, in order to lower this behavior ?
( I don't think that ignoring/doing nothing is the right approach )
I think that this forum has great potential to be a light-house of guides&problem solving center for Asus ROG laptop series, as XDA is for mobile phones.
The source of the problem is, in my opinion:
That there isn't a clear separation between the technical/diagnosing of HW/Software problems and between the "general"/casual talk that has been running here.
I.E I think that there the G75x,G77x subforum should be divided into at least two more sub-forums.
I barely see other veteran posters's effort to direct most of the talk, of certain subject, to a main-big-thread of the same subject.
I mainly see that they reply to the "noobs" ( sorry, its hard for me to convey the idea otherwise) with superficial answer&suggestions, thus withholding from the forum society a centralized, focused MAIN thread that discuses the same idea/subject in multiple directions.
That leads again to superficial answer, instead of giving the "noobs" the chance to learn something thus preventing the chance for new posters to evolve and hopefully to help others, with the same problem.
I think that replying with something like "I'm willing to help you if you'll post your problems in xxxxx main thread" ( in a very polite manner as one should do :-) ) might be the right course to take.

What is your input on this ?
don't you want an evolved posters society (I.E that actually know how to help each other ) in our sub-forum ?

xeromist
10-07-2015, 07:47 PM
The posting of duplicate threads only bothers me mildly. In many cases the initial question is so vague that it's difficult to tell if the issue is truly duplicate until further troubleshooting is performed. At that point people are already invested in the thread so forcing them to move to another thread would be overbearing. We also wouldn't want to close a thread and direct someone elsewhere if it turns out they really do have a different issue.

As long as it makes sense I'm certainly happy to move & merge threads. As I mentioned users should use the report post function to bring issues to the attention of the moderators. We don't necessarily see everything so it helps to have issues reported as soon as the users see them. That is really the most viable option I see.

But I also think the standard you are requesting is too stringent. The culture of this forum has been this way for years. You are the only person campaigning for such a change, which would be unpopular with everyone else. I believe there is a middle ground where engaged users report the obvious threads that would benefit from moderation and the moderators can make changes before people get invested.