PDA

View Full Version : Multiple important questions about G751JM

DIcklett
12-23-2014, 10:44 PM
After waiting more than 1 month for an ASUS G750JY to arrive I got tired of waiting, cancelled the order and bought a G751JM that was in stock. Did I do the right thing or should I have waited even more since this is my first gaming laptop ever and all my past gaming was done on a custom built pc. Some other questions are:
1.) How does the GTX 860m perform for recent games or in general?
2.) For what temperatures should I watch out while idle and while playing games?
3.) How flexible is the 860m when overclocking and what are its limits?
4.)How can I make the nvidia optimus work as intended? For low resourse applications to use the CPU and for high performance gaming to use the GPU. I found that one option is to set each application what resource to use but then what do I do for steam games?
Thank you for reading and I hope to get some answers.

DIcklett
12-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Ummm, bump I guess.

Darnassus
12-24-2014, 05:05 PM
;D

about to sleep, forgive brief answer!

I would've waited, though you saved some $$$$$$$$

medium/high
Stay below 80*C, 70 is nice average.
See other threads, you can max GPU clock, just test memory at 4800, don't touch voltage.
Set profiles in NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL

Good luck wil check back if you're stuck.

Rep me for one handed typing while hanging off a hammock. Wew! ;D
( /silly)

DIcklett
12-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Are there any newcomer overclocking guides out there for laptops? I never had to overclock my pc before since its pretty beefy.

Darnassus
12-25-2014, 06:49 PM
For which, your GPU or CPU?

I don't have experience in GPU's with the G750 gen 2's as I think it's automatic.

However, if you want to do your CPU. Download 'Intel Extreme Tuning Utility'

Install it as admin

Run it as admin

Here is a picture for the settings I used

The ORANGE highlighted is what I have changed. You can see the original settings on the right pane in the left column, vs MY settings on the right. I got a 200mHz+ speed increase but ALSO my CPU runs cooler, thanks for running it on a lower voltage.

Remember, make your Voltage on your Dynamic CPU and Processor Cache NEGATIVE VALUES. Positive Values will make it blow up. -- NOTICE IN MY SCREENSHOT.

Try the setting I am using. If your computer spontaneously turns off, shutting down immediately without an error then your voltage offset is too low, thus you need to bring it closer towards 0 (giving it a little more energy). If it never shuts off then you can try going for -70mV towards -75mV and keep going until you reach instability.. and if you do, go back to the last good config. (You must edit BOTH slider values and they should be equal.)

Make sure Intel WatchDog Timer is installed, you'll see it in installed programs. (it should install when you install Extreme Tuning Utilities) this will make sure your CPU reverts back to it's good settings, or stock settings, (thus so you can restart and apply a slightly lower overclock value on the voltage.)

Again, you will never hurt your CPU from doing this, as long as your voltage offsets are NEGATIVE values. Positive will burn it out.

Some little side notes about this overclock setting:

- It will process things on single cores slightly faster
- The CPU will use less watts, thus saving power ( of course not much but every dollar counts)
- The CPU will run cooler, thus longer life span
- It's rather neat to know you've overclocked your machine
- Bragging rights
- Introduces you into the overclocking community.
- Overall performance increase roughly 7-8%

----- Last thing to know is overclock settings are not the same for CPU's, even if the CPU's are the same model.. every CPU TECHNICALLY is unique and may perform better than others. Again, if you crash, slightly go back up a few mV's on the voltage.

kanecvr
12-26-2014, 08:52 PM
After waiting more than 1 month for an ASUS G750JY to arrive I got tired of waiting, cancelled the order and bought a G751JM that was in stock. Did I do the right thing or should I have waited even more since this is my first gaming laptop ever and all my past gaming was done on a custom built pc. Some other questions are:
1.) How does the GTX 860m perform for recent games or in general?
2.) For what temperatures should I watch out while idle and while playing games?
3.) How flexible is the 860m when overclocking and what are its limits?
4.)How can I make the nvidia optimus work as intended? For low resourse applications to use the CPU and for high performance gaming to use the GPU. I found that one option is to set each application what resource to use but then what do I do for steam games?
Thank you for reading and I hope to get some answers.

1. - Performance is poor. It's a bit faster then the desktop GT 650 and slower then the GTX 750. It's not a gaming card. You should have gone for the GTX 970M AT LEAST. In my opinion, the GTX 860m is not suitable for gaming at 1080p. It does fine in some games on medium-high details at 1366x768, making it usable on a 15" all purpose laptop, but it should not have would up on a 17" ful HD gaming machine.

Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4 and other current games are UNPLAYABLE on 1920x1080 unless you set everything to low. This is because the card has only 640 cores and a 128 bus, compared to the 980m witch has 1536 cores and a 256bit memory bus.

Look at some benchmarks here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M.107794.0.html

If you can return the machine and but the GTX 970m version AT LEAST, DO IT. I recommend the 980m since it's about as fast as a DESKTOP GTX 780, and you can play comfortably on it.

2. The 860m is very cool. No worries there.
3. Nvidia limits overclocking to +135mhz. You will be able to OC it to 1180mhz at least, but performance gains will be negligible. There's just not enough video card to work with.

4. You can't. It's disabled either in UEFI (BIOS) or hardware. If someone comes up with a modded G751 bios, you might make it work - but I get 3 and a half hours of battery life in movies on my G751JY with no optimus, so I don't miss it.

You should have waited for the G751JY.

fidelity101
12-26-2014, 08:59 PM
4. You can't. It's disabled either in UEFI (BIOS) or hardware. If someone comes up with a modded G751 bios, you might make it work - but I get 3 and a half hours of battery life in movies on my G751JY with no optimus, so I don't miss it.

Is that while playing a DVD or Bluray Disk? I'm lucky if I get 2 hours from a 100% charge on the JY and I'm curious if I need to change my power settings. My 751JY did not come with the Power4Gear Hybrid software so I pulled it from my G75VW laptop...is there a better option?

DIcklett
12-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Yeah... about those 2014 games. I don't like any of them, only Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes which runs at a steady 60+ fps with everything on high on this laptop. Payday 2 also runs very well and I'm gonna experiment with Shadows of Mordor to see how it runs since I kinda like it.

hmscott
12-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Yeah... about those 2014 games. I don't like any of them, only Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes which runs at a steady 60+ fps with everything on high on this laptop. Payday 2 also runs very well and I'm gonna experiment with Shadows of Mordor to see how it runs since I kinda like it.

DIcklett, here are some specific game performance comparisons between the 860m and 970m:

GTX 860m VS GTX 970m - Official Benchmark comparison in PC games - ULTRA settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOfAUfgq2M

I put together a list of videos I found relating to 860m performance here:

Want to purchase G751JM, stuck between these two choices.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55231-Want-to-purchase-G751JM-stuck-between-these-two-choices&p=461200&viewfull=1#post461200

Gizmo180
07-11-2015, 07:16 AM
Can someone give me a link to G741JM vbios rom. I can't find on and bricked my card during a flash.