PDA

View Full Version : How to completely disable the shadowplay button?

zsalab22
12-24-2014, 11:05 AM
I have bought my 3rd ROG laptop (G73->G75->G751), and I am really disappointed with the keyboard:

1. I do not like the red backlight with marked WASD buttons. I want to use my laptop for work as well, and this makes me look like "not woring at all" whenewer I am at work.
2. the distance between the keyboard sections is smaller than in the ROG 75, it easier to use the numeric keyboard when it is more away. AND: the num lock button is gone!
3. HOWEVER, THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN: some creative engineer placed extra buttons, including the shadowplay button next to the escape key! Whenever I try to bring up the menu in a game by hitting the most far-left button, the extremely annoying LAUNCH APP window comes up. This is very frustrating - now one has actually tested this before production? I expected more from a sixth genaration laptop.

(I never in my entire life used any of these extra buttons - not in the G73 and also not in the G75 - fortunately, the G75 had only one.)

Even more annoying I have not found a way to get rid ot this "Launch app" feature.

HOW CAN I COMPLETELY DISABLE THE SHADOWPLAY BUTTON?!

Sanctrum
12-24-2014, 11:52 AM
"... AND: the num lock button is gone!"

So how to toggle NumLock on-off ?

What is the role of the button right above 7 at the Numpad ? As it is not Numlock?

I am asking as I do not have g751 yet...

Looks like g751 is getting more and more ridiculous?

Darnassus
12-24-2014, 05:07 PM
.... drive a screwdriver through it.

Alternatively unbind it in the registry! ;d

Google how or I can help you find it if you get lost

Make a registry backup first.

Indril
12-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Darnassus could you help with that unbinding? I've googled it and find nothing. It would be nice if we could bind esc to that button.

dapogz
12-25-2014, 08:24 PM
"... AND: the num lock button is gone!"

So how to toggle NumLock on-off ?

What is the role of the button right above 7 at the Numpad ? As it is not Numlock?

I am asking as I do not have g751 yet...

Looks like g751 is getting more and more ridiculous?

The numlck is "fn+insert" you could see the word "numlck" below the insert button..
the button above num7 with the rog logo is the game central where you create, custom macrokeys and profile settings for your laptop

zsalab22
12-26-2014, 07:33 PM
.... drive a screwdriver through it.

Alternatively unbind it in the registry! ;d

Google how or I can help you find it if you get lost

Make a registry backup first.

Darnassus, please help, as I was unable to decipher how to make this....

zsalab22
12-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Sooo... anyone else have an idea how to disable the shadowplay button?

(please do not reply by "google it", as I already know letmegooglethatforyou, so I only started the forum topic because google was useless)

mavrik
12-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Why can't Asus just add the Shadowplay, Steam and ROG keys to the MacroKeys application so we can choose what to do with them!

Richdog
12-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Why can't Asus just add the Shadowplay, Steam and ROG keys to the MacroKeys application so we can choose what to do with them!

Because that would not be in line with ASUS's policy of making stupid or user-unfriendly design choices. ;)

mavrik
12-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Because that would not be in line with ASUS's policy of making stupid or user-unfriendly design choices. ;)

Any idea how an app is called when one of the dedicated keys is pressed? I tried editing the location keys for Steam in Regedit.... no avail.

xemax
12-29-2014, 09:03 PM
1. Make a copy of C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
2. Rename it to ATKRecHelp.exe
3. Copy it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey" and overwrite/rename the old file

zsalab22
12-29-2014, 09:43 PM
3. Copy it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey" and overwrite/rename the old file

This really worked! Thanks a lot!

tjbc
12-30-2014, 12:58 AM
This really worked! Thanks a lot!

So now your Shadowplay button is disabled?

nintari
12-30-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm in the same boat, I'd like to know how to change the shadow play button, or hell even the steam button to something else

did the above just disable it?

xemax
12-31-2014, 10:42 AM
By pressing the shadowplay button "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\ATKRecHelp.exe" will be executed. Replace it with whatever you want. I replaced it with a copy of rundll32.exe which does nothing.

doogie256
01-05-2015, 07:33 PM
By pressing the shadowplay button "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\ATKRecHelp.exe" will be executed. Replace it with whatever you want. I replaced it with a copy of rundll32.exe which does nothing.

I've also had to rename the picture C:\Windows\ASUS\recorder_guide.jpg.

stubbornpride
02-11-2015, 12:14 AM
May all beautiful girls eat your testicles. Thanks a lot bro.

Antibiotic
02-05-2016, 06:44 PM

Thx, mate.
I went a little bit further and replaced ATKRecHelp.exe with a small program you can compile with any C/C++ compiler:

#define WINVER 0x0500
#include <windows.h>

int main(int argc, const char* argv[])
{
INPUT ip;
ip.type = INPUT_KEYBOARD;
ip.ki.wScan = MapVirtualKey(VK_ESCAPE, MAPVK_VK_TO_VSC);
ip.ki.time = 0;
ip.ki.dwExtraInfo = 0;
ip.ki.wVk = 0;
ip.ki.dwFlags = KEYEVENTF_SCANCODE;
SendInput(1, &ip, sizeof(INPUT));
ip.ki.dwFlags = KEYEVENTF_SCANCODE | KEYEVENTF_KEYUP;
SendInput(1, &ip, sizeof(INPUT));
return 0;
}

It sends ESC signal to Windows, so you can have a second ESC key instead of ShadowPlay button.
It does not work perfectly, though. I tested in on Witcher 3 and I works for closing descriptions and inner menus but does not open/close main menu. I guess it's because Direct Input can use drivers directly, without Windows signal system.

Gps3dx
02-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Thx, mate.
I went a little bit further and replaced ATKRecHelp.exe with a small program you can compile with any C/C++ compiler:

wow...well done for the initiative.

Just so you know, I've posted an app ( not my orig work, only the update of it ) named AsusNBKeys, with its help you can map Shadow/steam/rog buttons to anything you'd like.
I also address the problematic remapping of ESC to these buttons, while inside of games.
Follow up about it HERE (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings/page2)

I think your post is worth a repost in that thread ( without the final image please... lets leave it informational as possible - thanks :-) ).

JustinThyme
02-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Easy fix, uninstall GeForce experience. No shadow play means button is mapped to something that isn't there.

raduque
02-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Easy fix, uninstall GeForce experience. No shadow play means button is mapped to something that isn't there.

It's not mapped to the GeForce experience, it's mapped to an Asus app that just give you a button to click to start the GeForce Experience.

I think I've hit the button twice since I've had the laptop - what I'd like is a way to map it to start/stop recording or to the "save last 20 minutes" function of SP.

IIIXJannikXIII
11-12-2017, 10:16 AM
I have another way, idk if it has always been like that, but you can turn off "share" now, like on this picture:
https://imgur.com/a/jsVQu