PDA

View Full Version : New ROG G751JT with sound issue and more, what should I do ?

RMXM
12-25-2014, 12:51 AM
Hello everyone, okay so I bought recently a G751JT and so far experienced the audio issues most have and when for example pressing esc to exit full screen from a youtube video the sorroundings of the video remain dark for 2 seconds before showing the page normally, anyone experiencing this ?

Another thing I noticed is after letting the laptop stay a bit and then coming back at it and moving the mouse or changing a webpage a noise comes from the left side is it suppose to make that noise when changing a webpage after leaving it still for a few minutes?

My main reason for this thread is I wanted to ask if it is worth returning it with all these issues taking place or just wait at least for the audio problem to be solved by a new driver release?
Thank you for your time reading this and any reply is highly appreciated!

toronto699
12-25-2014, 04:35 AM
bring it back , u spent your hard earned dollars, why accept issues right out of the box. I would not tolerate issues from a new unit right out of the box ever. Because in the back of my mind I would always wonder what will go wrong next. Do u ever buy a New car with out testing it out first. although u may get a lemon.. Asus seems to have lots of lemons lately and to tell u the truth from what ive read in these forums asus I don't think gives a hoot , they got your money that's all that matters to them it seems to me , my opinion. have u ever contacted asus support , that's an other issue . My thoughts on the audio {sound} issue owners are having with their new
G751 is , it will never be fixed in my opinion. I don't think asus can reproduce the audio problem in units that don't have the issue and have not found a unit with the audio issue therefore in my opinion it will never be fixed.

Volador
12-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Hello

I have the same thing that after a few minutes if i do nothing and then come back and move the mouse i hear a soft snapping noise... or crackle from the left speaker (and the same time from the left headphone). Its just a short snap and then its gone.

Im not sure if its a driver problem but it has not annoyed me. Have you updated the newest realtek drivers? I have the newest ones, havent tested with the original ones.

RMXM
12-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Thank you for your reply, yes you described the issue exactly, yes I used all the drivers from the website and even the ones from the dvd in my first install.

I am very tempted to do what toronto699 suggested and send it back...I like the model, the extra keys the design, everything but I don't want these issues with the sound, screen and the cracking one..not even sure what to get as a replacement..

I tried to contact support from my country for a last try but I forgot they don't work on the holydays so I will wait until they over and if I still remain with these issues I will return it to the reseller, hopefully I can get a refund.

Volador
12-25-2014, 10:41 AM
I think its a potential driver problem. I installed that razer surround sound program, after using it for a while the left speaker and left headphone (if connected) would make a strang tapping sound. There was a tap sound every second, i uninstalled the software but it did not help, i then made a system recovery to a time prior the installation of the razer program and the tapping sound went away.

Btw mine JY model did not come with a cd or dvd. Have no disk from which to install the prior drivers (only to make a complete OS recovery).

For me that slight crack is not a big deal, at first i did not even notice it. Maybe try the computer for a few days and if it drives you crazy then send it back if its possible?

RMXM
12-25-2014, 10:47 AM
I think its a potential driver problem. I installed that razer surround sound program, after using it for a while the left speaker and left headphone (if connected) would make a strang tapping sound. There was a tap sound every second, i uninstalled the software but it did not help, i then made a system recovery to a time prior the installation of the razer program and the tapping sound went away.

Btw mine JY model did not come with a cd or dvd. Have no disk from which to install the prior drivers (only to make a complete OS recovery).

For me that slight crack is not a big deal, at first i did not even notice it. Maybe try the computer for a few days and if it drives you crazy then send it back if its possible?

Well the noise when I leave it a lone for a while then use it again seems to be different compared to the main speaker issue which sounds terrible as you raise the volume.
And the "lag" when esc from full screen is a bit annoying also, but yeah I have no choice but to stay with it a few more days until I can contact support and the reseller. Though I doubt these stuff will change from what I see so far.

Mine was FreeDOS so I did not get the OS recovery thing ^^
And yeah if it were just that small cracking sound I could of ignored it I guess.. but sadly, it's not the only issue. :(

RMXM
12-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Anyone else got any opinions ? Wanna be 100% sure before I'l go at the store as it's pretty far away :(

hmscott
12-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Hello everyone, okay so I bought recently a G751JT and so far experienced the audio issues most have and when for example pressing esc to exit full screen from a youtube video the sorroundings of the video remain dark for 2 seconds before showing the page normally, anyone experiencing this ?

Another thing I noticed is after letting the laptop stay a bit and then coming back at it and moving the mouse or changing a webpage a noise comes from the left side is it suppose to make that noise when changing a webpage after leaving it still for a few minutes?

My main reason for this thread is I wanted to ask if it is worth returning it with all these issues taking place or just wait at least for the audio problem to be solved by a new driver release?
Thank you for your time reading this and any reply is highly appreciated!

RogueNote, the sound problem isn't something that can be fixed by us as it isn't a user serviceable solution, there is no updated driver to fix the problem, and returning for RMA although the normal solution, precludes you from getting your $ back from the seller, so it isn't something to take lightly.

If I was coming to the end of my return period and I had the sound problem, I would return the laptop and hold on to my $ and wait for Realtek/Asus to fix the problems. I would watch the forums for the announcement of the solution and users reporting success using that solution. If it also requires an RMA then I would get a new G751 when production includes that fix.

You could try swapping through another unit, and see if the problem exists, but several people have tried that and not found a good one. Then again some people like toronto699 have bought new ones without the audio problem, so it might still be worth trying another one - but I would get it from another vendor - and I would wait a while before getting another one.

The youtube problem sounds like a network issue - the elements to fill the page are downloading and taking their time getting to you, so you are seeing blank regions.

Are you using Wifi? The Intel 7260 Wifi card has strict 802.11n compliance and requires WPA2/AES authentication and WMM set in the router to get best performance. Try updating your router firmware and using the Intel Driver Update Utility to find the latest driver for the Intel 7260 in the G751.

Intel Driver Update Utility - use IE to get.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Try plugging in to Ethernet from your router to G751, and see if that youtube problem goes away. That would help isolate the issue.

The sound from the left side after coming out of idle is likely the CPU Fan spinning up as the CPU starts doing work and heats up. The Asus fan curve is such that it tries to keep things quiet and not spin up the fan too high when it doesn't need it. Going from silent to running will be noticeable in a quiet room. Mine does the same (G750JH).

If you decide to go with another laptop, I would wait a while, like February, before looking again. Hopefully new hardware will be coming soon :)

RMXM
12-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Thank you very much for your reply hmscott ! That made me feel better knowing what the other 2 issues are and for the sound issue I assume I won't be having any problems with them giving it back if others managed to do so also? They did say I have 30 days time in case I have any issue and the sound issue seems to be enough right?
Will take your advice and take my money back and wait for some good news until I get a new laptop, tho that would let me without any working pc in the house but oh well rather spend this money on something working from the box.

hmscott
12-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Thank you very much for your reply hmscott ! That made me feel better knowing what the other 2 issues are and for the sound issue I assume I won't be having any problems with them giving it back if others managed to do so also? They did say I have 30 days time in case I have any issue and the sound issue seems to be enough right?
Will take your advice and take my money back and wait for some good news until I get a new laptop, tho that would let me without any working pc in the house but oh well rather spend this money on something working from the box.

RogueNote, 30 days is a long time, and check to see if xmas returns extend that time, I know Amazon is doing that - extending through the end of January:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sr_1_1_acs_h_1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=15015721&qid=1419516710&sr=8-1-acs

"Holiday Returns Policy Items shipped by Amazon.com between November 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014, may be returned until January 31, 2015, for a full refund, subject to our other return guidelines listed below. Items shipped from sellers other than Amazon.com are subject to this same holiday return policy unless otherwise stated in the seller's individual Return Policy. These sellers may not accept returns past the normal return window established in their Return Policy. For more details, see Seller Returns Policies below..."

It's too bad about the sound issue, when everything else is working so well, but if you need working speakers, then there is no way around it.

Good luck! :)

RMXM
12-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Thank you again for the fast reply! Yes they said I have 30 days time to take it back and I got it like 2 days ago or so. So yeah I have time, you're saying I should return it as late as possible then?
And yeah I do not have any other speakers to add to it and if i'm paying all that money for it I should get them working ^^
I would of bought a different model if it were the case but my budget is limited to this or would you recommend any other laptop close to this one's specs and not pass 1200 euros ?

hmscott
12-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Thank you again for the fast reply! Yes they said I have 30 days time to take it back and I got it like 2 days ago or so. So yeah I have time, you're saying I should return it as late as possible then?
And yeah I do not have any other speakers to add to it and if i'm paying all that money for it I should get them working ^^
I would of bought a different model if it were the case but my budget is limited to this or would you recommend any other laptop close to this one's specs and not pass 1200 euros ?

RogueNote, take the return time to allow for a potential fix to come from Asus, and while waiting you have an otherwise working laptop to enjoy :)

And, you can return for another unit and get another 30 days to evaluate - it depends on the vendor - double check to make sure you can return the 2nd unit for a full refund after accepting a new unit in exchange for your current unit.

I don't have any suggestions for an alternative. The MSI's aren't to my personal liking, and anything else is too expensive. As a holding position you could get a non-Optimus G750JW/JX/JH used to tide you over until things clear up. But, buying used has it's own pitfalls too. So, I don't know what to recommend other than get out now while you can and hold on to your cash until such time as you are certain of what you want.

Good luck :)

RMXM
12-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Indeed it is a great laptop except that issue, yeah was looking at the MSI too but like ASUS Rog more ^^
Regarding the reseller, yeah I will call them and ask details so I can be sure how to proceed.

Oh and if you have the time could you tell me on the drivers what is the best way to install? DvD or site? as from the site I had a bit of issues installing some as from my old laptop I just downloaded an exe and it opened the install wizard directly, here it opens a folder and are more exe's and some extractable stuff at some, the audio driver was not like that I installed that correctly but the thunderbolt one did not really work. Do I have to press on a certain thing to extract and put it in a certain folder or ?

Besides that thank you for your fast replies and wish you a Merry Christmas ! :)

hmscott
12-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Indeed it is a great laptop except that issue, yeah was looking at the MSI too but like ASUS Rog more ^^
Regarding the reseller, yeah I will call them and ask details so I can be sure how to proceed.

Oh and if you have the time could you tell me on the drivers what is the best way to install? DvD or site? as from the site I had a bit of issues installing some as from my old laptop I just downloaded an exe and it opened the install wizard directly, here it opens a folder and are more exe's and some extractable stuff at some, the audio driver was not like that I installed that correctly but the thunderbolt one did not really work. Do I have to press on a certain thing to extract and put it in a certain folder or ?

Besides that thank you for your fast replies and wish you a Merry Christmas ! :)

Merry Xmas!! :)

RMXM
12-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Merry Xmas!! :)
So I talked to the vendor and they said I can give it back but they will hold it in their service one day to check if the issue really is there and after that they will be sending me a new one. I hope I won't be getting any response like, oh that's how the speakers sound and have it sent back.

hmscott
12-27-2014, 04:37 PM
So I talked to the vendor and they said I can give it back but they will hold it in their service one day to check if the issue really is there and after that they will be sending me a new one. I hope I won't be getting any response like, oh that's how the speakers sound and have it sent back.

RogueNote you did email them URL's to the threads discussing the sound issues? They may not be aware of it, so be sure to make sure they know what they are listening for specifically. A brief description should be enough, but ask them if they will call you when/as they are evaluating the laptop sound so you can talk them through it if they don't notice it.

I think a lot the people that don't "have the problem" don't know what they are looking for - and for some it immediately is obvious but for many more it won't be immediately discernible - they are too excited about their new laptop and not expecting much from laptop sound - like tv sound - they don't look for the flaw.

When the vendor finds the problem, make sure they know most/all G751's have this problem, and to look for it in other units - perhaps they can check out the one they are sending you to see if it has the same audio problems before sending it to you.

RMXM
12-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I did tell the person I talked to over the phone about the model and that more have the issue and some don't and he responded as if he was aware that some are faulty.
But I will tell them again when going with it there as I am taking it in person to the shop rather then mailing it or anything like that, they have a showroom where I can do so. But mainly that is what I was doubtful about but the way you explained sounds like I shouldn't worry and just hope the new one will be with no issue, thing is as it's the freeDOS version I couldn't test the speakers without adding a windows right? was thinking to open the pack when I go for the new one there and check it in the showroom but it seems it's not the case.

hmscott
12-27-2014, 05:58 PM
I did tell the person I talked to over the phone about the model and that more have the issue and some don't and he responded as if he was aware that some are faulty.
But I will tell them again when going with it there as I am taking it in person to the shop rather then mailing it or anything like that, they have a showroom where I can do so. But mainly that is what I was doubtful about but the way you explained sounds like I shouldn't worry and just hope the new one will be with no issue, thing is as it's the freeDOS version I couldn't test the speakers without adding a windows right? was thinking to open the pack when I go for the new one there and check it in the showroom but it seems it's not the case.

RogueNote, they are the sample model laptops, ask if you can swap boot drives between your set up unit and the new one, you would need to re-validate the Windows install for long term use, but for a brief test usage it will work fine.

RMXM
12-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Not exactly sure what you meant by re-validating, if that's for the oem version I have the full retail one. Also before I give this one to them is there a way I can remove my license from it so it won't stay activated on this one so I can use it on my new one? Or do they remove that ?

hmscott
12-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Not exactly sure what you meant by re-validating, if that's for the oem version I have the full retail one. Also before I give this one to them is there a way I can remove my license from it so it won't stay activated on this one so I can use it on my new one? Or do they remove that ?

RogueNote, Validate => Activate => Validate on new hardware => Activate

How are activation and genuine Windows connected?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/genuine

"Activation pairs your product key with your hardware configuration and helps verify that your copy of Windows hasn't been used on more computers than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. Usually, you need to activate Windows only once, unless you make a significant hardware change.

Genuine Windows, however, is a recurring process that checks your product key to make sure it's not blocked or being used on hardware that's different than what you were using when you activated Windows.

The genuine, or validation, check is performed when your computer attempts to download optional updates from Microsoft. For example, when your computer downloads updates, Windows checks to see if your product key is valid. If it is, Windows on your computer is genuine, and you're eligible to receive the latest updates from Microsoft. If it's not, your computer is running non-genuine Windows."

So if you have already activated the license you purchased on that laptop your validation will fail on the new laptop, and you will need to contact Microsoft to reactivate on the new laptop.

I would take the drive from the current laptop and swap it into the new laptop - ask them to do that for you in their service center. Then they will have the new laptop out and can check the audio too :)

That way you can simply reactivate on the new laptop. It might even be automatic / automated - in the US we call a phone number and type in codes to re-activate on the new motherboard. Sometimes you need to talk to a person at Microsoft if the automated system fails.

Good luck :)