PDA

View Full Version : NEW G74SX WONT TURN ON - PLEASE HELP!!!

PHorst
11-03-2011, 04:09 PM
I've bought a ASUS G74SX-XA1 few days ago. I turned it on the first time and did the initial recovery DVD's and then installed a few software and a video game. I mean I used it that day without any problem and, at night, I shut it off normally. The next day I tried to turn on the notebook but anything happened... I tried to turn it on with battery pack and AC adapter, then with the battery only and then with the AC adapter only... And nothing happened... After that, I removed the battery and the AC adapter and hold the power on button for 45 seconds and then plug the battery and the AC adapter again but... still nothing. Please I need help!!!! Any ideas?? Faulty RAM stick? HDD died??? PLEASE HELP!!! Forgive my english

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi! Welcome to the ROG forums!

This fix is for a different model, and may not work but try it anyway. Get a medium strength magnet, put a piece of paper over the handrest just left of the touchpad buttons to protect the finish, put the magnet on the paper and rub it in a circular motion for about a MINUTE. Try to turn the notebook on.

Let us know if it works. ;)

dstrakele
11-03-2011, 04:41 PM
The reason for JR's recommendation is there is a magnetic switch that determines if the laptop display is closed to sleep/hibernate/shut down the laptop. If the switch is stuck, it may be preventing your laptop from starting. The action with the magnet will hopefully free the stuck magnetic switch.

Just wanted to let you know it's not magic or voodoo... ;>{)>

If this fails, I'd be tempted to return to where you purchased the laptop and see if they would exchange it for a new one.

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 04:47 PM
... and I used a compass to locate the strongest magnetic field in the lid top just for you. :D rofl

PHorst
11-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I tried with different magnets but it didn't work. Maybe I don't have the correct magnet... In addition to the situation I described before, only the battery charge led turns on, when I plug the battery and the AC adapter. Thanks anyway JRd1st.

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Damn! Take one drive at a time out and see if it POSTS.

PHorst
11-03-2011, 04:59 PM
You're telling me to take out one hard drive at a time? Can you give some advice to properly take them out and then put them back on? Don't get me wrong, I replace the hard drive of my old ACER but i'm a little afraid with this new one. So, can you give some advice or maybe instructions?

PHorst
11-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I also noticed that the battery charge led its now orange, so something is consuming the battery everytime a try to turn on the notebook, right?

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Just turn the laptop over, remove the access cover, remove the plate over the HDD, remove the HDD. Very easy and self explanatory when you see it. If it still doesn't try to POST, put that drive back in and try the other one. Then try each RAM stick but put them back in the right slot. If none of that works, it may be your screen or it's cable.

Let's get there when we get there. lol

And yes, it would seem so. Maybe it's booting . Do you have a login screen? A startup sound?

PHorst
11-03-2011, 05:14 PM
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOOK ONE OF THE DRIVES AND POSTS!!! Obviously, I need a new hard drive, right?

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Right! Woo Hoo! Is it the system drive or the other?

If it's the system, everything you need to install windows and your drivers is in my New Drivers thread. see my sig. ;)

Hell, man! Get an SSD! Intel series 320 for SATA II or intel series 510 for SATA III

I have no idea how to get a new drive out of ASUS without sending in the whole notebook. PM Chastity.

PHorst
11-03-2011, 05:20 PM
WTF?!?!?!?!!? I re-opened the notebook, then I put the hard drive back, turn the notebook on and IT WORKS!!!!! So, what has happened here????? Any explanation???? THANKS A LOT FOR EVERYTHING!!!!

PHorst
11-03-2011, 05:25 PM
what?!!?!?!? I re-opened the notebook, then I put back the hard drive and finally close everything. After that, I tried to turn on the notebook AND IT WORKSSS!!!!!! What has happened here? Any ideas?? Thanks a lot JRd1st for everything!!!

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Ummm, a bad connection? did the connector seem fully engaged? Well, if it happens again, you'll know that to do, right! ;)

dstrakele
11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
+1 Nice job, JR! I thought PHorst's laptop was DOA. I learned something today!

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I learned that trick from Chastity.

PHorst
11-04-2011, 12:45 AM
I read a lot of post regarding G74SX notebooks in this forum. I think it's really useful and, as my notebook is brand new, I am gonna update its drivers and unistall some of the applications as suggested by JRd1st. Any other advise? I have already tested BF3 at Ultra settings and everything seems to be working fine. How can I monitor the CPU and GPU temps??? What are the normal temperatures of GPU and CPU? I have a 560M 3GB DDR5 NVIDIA card. Or what are the normal temperature RANGES of CPU and GPU? Thanks a lot for your help. I'm gonna worship you guys, hehe, LOL!

JRd1st
11-04-2011, 12:57 AM
I like HWInfo64, there's a link in my New Drivers thread.

Normal depends on your room ambient, your CPU will max out at about 70C then it will throttle back unless you override that. The GPU will generally stay below 80C but might go higher, I think 90C is the MAX for the GPU . . . not sure. But you'll be surprised at how cool the G74 runs and how quiet the fans are as compared to the older desktops.

As for the Asus apps, I kept Power4Gear as it's very useful, LifeFrame 3 for the WebCam, WirelessConsole 3 to disable BT and WiFi easily, and FastBoot which allows delayed start of some autostart programs. (not sure it's useful.) Keep SonicDVD (Roxio CinePlayer) if you wanna watch BluRay.

Don't worship me, I already got my payback when you told me that removing that HDD helped. That's a good feeling to me. :D

Update the Atheros WiFi driver first!!! link in my thread.

Good Luck! ;)

PHorst
11-07-2011, 07:16 PM
JRd1st, Do I really have to update the BIOS?

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
No, you don't have to but if you experience peoblems fixed by the new BIOS, don't complain. Okay! :D