PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Voltage according to GPU Tweak?

icantthinkofausername
12-26-2014, 02:36 PM
So I got a new Strix for christmas and decided to have a look at the values while gaming, until I stumbled upon this:

http://imgur.com/QwvVMJD

(sorry, embedding a pic didnt work for me)

As you can see, the max voltage is 3,4V :eek:
Which would, afaik, kill the card instantly even if that voltage was only applied for a microsecond.
Now I'm not quite sure whether this is true or, as bugged as GPU Tweak still is, it just read it out completely wrong.
Also, I logged it afterwards and I never had a value greater than 1195mV, but still I'm quite worried I already somehow managed to damage it.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated, if you can confirm or even reproduce it, it would be even better :)
PS: GPU I'm using is the 970 Strix.

Nate152
12-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Hello ican'tthinkofausername, welcome to the ROG forum.

That's how high the voltage graph goes, you're at 847mv.

I doubt you've done any damage.

icantthinkofausername
12-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks for your reply!
I have to disagree, at least in my version the max value shows what was the highest value you actually reached, not the max of the scale. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Because if you wanna take a look at the temp graph above, you can see that the max value the graph goes to is 130, but I only reached 70, as the max value tells. So to conclude I should have (hopefully not) also got to 3,4V at one point.
(I guess I'd be looking at a black screen right now if that would've been the case, but I'm still worried since I lost my 660 because of too high voltage too :/)

icantthinkofausername
12-26-2014, 10:34 PM
To prove my point I just reinstalled it again and quickly took a screenshot:

http://imgur.com/M2geVpn

As you can see, voltage scale goes up to 2000mV but the max value is a value I actually reached: 1173mV.
I hope you see why I'm worried (and probably going to RMA it since I'm getting minor artifacts)

Nate152
12-27-2014, 03:42 PM
The scale as you said goes up to 2000mv.

Look to the right and you are at 1111mv. 1175 is the max voltage the card goes to I believe. If you overclock it might go a little higher, I'm not sure about the Maxwell cards, I don't have one. But anyway, my 680's go to 1175mv.

Is your card artifacting in all games? If not what game do you get artifacting in?

icantthinkofausername
12-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Far Cry 4.
Yes I know, probably because Ubi is too stupid to get things done properly, but I prefer being safe than sorry, since I can return it to my dealer without any problems (apart from the fact that they're out of stock, so I'll have to wait or go for Gigabyte :( )

Nate152
12-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Have you tried any other games to see if you still get artifacting?

Someone else has a post with a similar problem as you, I'll see if I can find it.

icantthinkofausername
12-28-2014, 06:16 PM
No I haven't but it's too late now anyway, RMA request is out already. Anyway, thanks very much for your help!

Nate152
12-28-2014, 08:02 PM
If you're not getting artifacting in other games, it may just be a game problem. I wouldn't send it off for an RMA without a little further testing.

I'm still looking for that link, he posted a video and I wanted you to see it to see if it was the same thing you were experiencing. I'm still looking for it.

In the mean time try some other games.

Nate152
12-28-2014, 08:15 PM
I found it finally, was deep in my archives.

Have a look is this what you're getting?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54701-Asus-Gtx-980-Strix-artifacting-Game-or-card-issue

icantthinkofausername
12-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Nope, mine are completely different.
Missing textures, texture flickering, LOD textures being black, flashing textures, white textures and the screen going partially blue like so:
http://imgur.com/FX3cAXp
It's not always, more like occasionally but that's how it started with my previous card too.
That's just too much for my taste to still feel safe. But thanks for your effort!

And yes, my card stays that cool under full load

Nate152
12-28-2014, 10:05 PM
If you are getting that then you did the right thing in getting an RMA on the way.

Sorry to see this, I'm sure your new card will be a good one.

icantthinkofausername
12-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks man!
It happened only once like in the pic, but as I said, better safe than sorry, regarding that there are also other artifacts.
Again, your effort was/is much appreciated!

Nate152
12-29-2014, 03:42 PM
You're welcome

Yor voltages and temps are fine, what causes the artifacring is the ram on the gpu. You usually get artifacting when overclocking the Vram too far. So it looks to me like there is a Vram problem with your card.

I wish you a speedy RMA and you can come back here when you get your new one and tell us all some good news.

icantthinkofausername
12-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Well I didn't overclock the RAM at all, so yea, I have no actual clue what could be causing it.
Thanks, I'll hope they're gonna have STRIX'es again before GTA 5 comes out :D