PDA

View Full Version : G750JX and BIOS 209 Issue

Dopp0
12-27-2014, 12:50 AM
Hi All,

I've updated my BIOS to 209 (it was 206 before), and strangely, I'm unable to boot normally anymore.
I've succeeded entering the BIOS and resetting to default, to try solving this (read in another thread), but when I start the notebook, the screen stays blank, doesnt show any images, and gets stuck rebooting.

If I try to press F10/F12, it finally displays the ROG logo and then proceed to booting windows 8.1.

Why is this happening? How can I solve it?

Thanks!

hmscott
12-27-2014, 03:26 AM
Hi All,

I've updated my BIOS to 209 (it was 206 before), and strangely, I'm unable to boot normally anymore.
I've succeeded entering the BIOS and resetting to default, to try solving this (read in another thread), but when I start the notebook, the screen stays blank, doesnt show any images, and gets stuck rebooting.

If I try to press F10/F12, it finally displays the ROG logo and then proceed to booting windows 8.1.

Why is this happening? How can I solve it?

Thanks!

Dopp0, 209 seems to be problematic for some JX's, and the only fix is to downgrade the BIOS to 208.

You can regress the BIOS version using the Winflash program in Windows by adding the /nodate option to the command line, or add it to the command line in the properties of the shortcut. I don't know of a way to downgrade the BIOS from within the BIOS, the only way is from Winflash in Windows.

The current Winflash versions don't actually write to the flash while running Windows, they only queue it up for install at next boot, so there isn't much risk in doing it from Windows.

Dopp0
12-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks hmscott, I'll try that! I've only updated because I'm getting so much freezes on my Windows 8.1 (I've created another thread) but it didn't solve it :(

The other thread is http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55459-G750JX-and-Windows-8-1-(Freezing-a-lot)&p=461031#post461031

But anyway, thanks! I'll return to this post to confirm if it worked, so others will find your solution!

Dinooz
12-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Doppo,

My 750jx has been running 209 from the factory and I haven't had any "problematic" issues whatsoever,you say 'freezes" not BSOD's my jx suffered many random BSOD,s and was finally tracked down to a faulty ram slot.Win 8.1 runs perfectly,smooth and crisp,with no errors or hangups,so before you condemn 209,I would suggest looking elsewhere.

hmscott
12-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Doppo,

My 750jx has been running 209 from the factory and I haven't had any "problematic" issues whatsoever,you say 'freezes" not BSOD's my jx suffered many random BSOD,s and was finally tracked down to a faulty ram slot.Win 8.1 runs perfectly,smooth and crisp,with no errors or hangups,so before you condemn 209,I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Dinooz, there have been reports of updating the BIOS to 209 in the JX causing boot problems, and regressing to the previous version stops the problem. I have also worked with people with that problem and suggested setting Defaults on 208, and then updating to 209 again, setting defaults, and that seems to work too.

As you will find there are many issues and causes that can get mixed into a particular instance, and there are often multiple solutions required for multiple problems.

Doppo was having problems before applying 209, he updated the BIOS to see if that would solve the problems, but updating to 209 added the other issue of boot up issues. Not everyone that updates to 209 has a problem, but some do - it may be the state of the settings in the BIOS before the update that causes the problem.

Glad to hear you found the problematic SODIMM slot.

I often see those that have resolved their problems to a SODIMM seating, wrong SODIMM, and SODIMM failure solution recommend that this be tried for other's symptoms.

It is actually rare for the problem to be tracked down to a RAM problem, I guess it is worth suggesting - but please don't derail debugging in progress.

Dopp0
12-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Hi hmscott,

I've downgraded the BIOS to the 208 version (downloaded from asus, saved to C:\) and applied it successfully, but the issue persists :(
Even tried to reset to defaults to see if that works.

When I turn on the notebook, it loops rebooting many times, and then proceed to show ROG logo and boot to windows, it's really bizarre.

I don't know if it screwed some boot info, I'm not too sure how to check them (I've attached some screenshots of what I think would help). My config it 1 SSD (C:\) and 1 HDD (D:\)

Below are some screenshots of the BIOS. Do you have any other instruction that might help? Thanks for everything until now, just trying to help is a lot :-)

GottiBoi55
12-29-2014, 12:41 AM
Hi Dopp0, Looks to me that for some reason there's two "Boot Manger" options in the last screen shot.
Maybe the BIOS update created the two boot options, so upon start up that's creating some boot confusion.
I would recommended deleting the second boot option, that should clear up the Boot Manger confusion.
After deleting the second option your system should boot normally.

Hope this solves your issue my friend?

Dopp0
12-29-2014, 12:45 AM
Sure, I'll try right now!

Just in case I mess with anything, what should be the default one if I need to create one from scratch? There's some kind of path to inform, and I'm pretty ignorant about those paths :(

Thanks!

GottiBoi55
12-29-2014, 01:10 AM
Sure, I'll try right now!

Just in case I mess with anything, what should be the default one if I need to create one from scratch? There's some kind of path to inform, and I'm pretty ignorant about those paths :(

Thanks!

Just delete the Boot Option # 2, then save and exit on the last tab.
you should be just fine.

Dopp0
12-29-2014, 01:38 AM
Hi,

I deleted the option #2, and then when booting it went to some Windows Recovery screen, with the first option "EXIT and CONTINUE to Windows 8.1", and when selecting it just turned off the notebook. :(

Then I tried to create another boot option, choosing some weird paths to get to UEFI file (x64), set this one as default and it worked. I'll check but I think it's safe to delete the others and leave this one only. Maybe by installing 8.1 from scratch, some partition remained and it confused itself when upgrading BIOS.

Anyway, tested 2x and it worked, thanks a LOT you guys for the help! I'll remain in 208 for life, lol :D

GottiBoi55
12-29-2014, 02:06 AM
Oh, now things make some sense, I did know you did a clean install of windows 8.1.
Seems Boot option #1 was Win8, and option #2 was for Win8.1.
Being there no more Win8 there was the boot confusion.
I guess you installed Win8.1 over Win8, did you format first?
Glad you figured it out may friend.

Dopp0
01-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Hi! I did format when installing 8.1. But there's still one issue open, related to boot.
When I turn on, it still doesn't boot properly, stays in loop. When I check BIOS (F2), I see that something is creating boot options, maybe for windows 8 (which doesn't exist anymore). If I delete the wrong boot options and let just the one I've created, OR choose to boot to mine boot option (the one I've created), it works fine. But when I turn off or that battery dies, those options gets created all over again. How can I investigate further? Maybe I have a recovery partition from windows 8, and it is getting activated and creating those "ghost" boot options?

Thanks again!

Dopp0
01-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Here's the partitions (there's two Recovery partitions -> "Partição de Recuperação", numbers #2 and #4), but I can't identify which one is the correct one, how to erase the wrong one, and how to indicate the right one as ACTIVE when notebook calls the Recovery (from powerdown, for example).

Dopp0
01-14-2015, 04:31 PM
hmscott, GottiBoi55,

Any ideas on this issue?! :(

Thanks!

Dopp0
06-29-2015, 12:41 AM
Reverting to BIOS 207 seems to resolve the issue. Just updating the post in case someone need it in the future! :-)

If I no longer update it, to sum it up, for G750Jx:
* BIOS 209: BAD! BAD! BOOT LOOP, BLACK SCREEN, LOTS OF FURY AND DESPAIR
* BIOS 207: Runs nicely! Go for it, or stick with it!

Darnassus
06-29-2015, 02:47 AM
208 is the sweet spot as I'm aware. But if 207 is working for you, sit on it.

Thank you very much for the update, other users can benefit from your findings! :3