PDA

View Full Version : High cpu temps g751jy

Boom_austin
12-30-2014, 07:54 AM
under basically a max cpu load around 85%-100% usage im getting temps per core most cores 85-90c and one up to 93. keep in mind the stress im putting on the cpu had been for over an hour at high usage. im just wondering if i should be concerned.

i was reading on other fourms that theres a difference between cpu temp and the temps per core.

my old g75vx had max temps of around 85 per core and that was during a stress test

Boom_austin
12-30-2014, 08:23 AM
wait nevermind im running cpu burner from furmark and my temps arent going higher than 81c per core. idk why i was getting 93s before when i wqant even running a 100% load test

Boom_austin
12-30-2014, 08:34 AM
another wait. i figured out to try both a cpu and gpu stress test at the same time and then boom temps are back up to around 92 before i shut the benchmark off because i dont want to wreck this thing

Boom_austin
12-30-2014, 08:36 AM
also all these temps im reporting are core temperatures

NitroX
12-30-2014, 11:01 AM
This is a common problem for G751 owners (including myself). You can find out more details in these threads:

1) http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54521-Cpu-or-Fan-problem
2) http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55539-G751-Fan-Control-and-Overheating

We (the members of this forum and owners of G751), are currently testing different solutions for these high temps.

You don't have to worry about wrecking the laptop, because the hardware component will automatically throttle if the temps get too high (over 95C). You should also test to see if the maximum temps are constant or just peaks that remain for a brief of a moment. I also was hitting higher temps and now I'm running an undervolted CPU which has better temps. And I also was worried about the high temps it can reach, but after I started to monitor the temps using MSI Afterburners OnScreen Display, I saw that the average temperature was much lower than the highest temperature that HWInfo or HWMonitor showed me.

For the moment, the possible solutions that we've found are to: Undervolt the CPU, raise the rpm of the vents or even do a repaste (for the brave ones).

You could also see the undervolting results I got, over here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52467-Got-your-new-G751JY-G751JT-G751JM-Post-your-review-temps-benchmark-results!&p=461645&viewfull=1#post461645

Boom_austin
12-30-2014, 05:12 PM
i have some good news to report. i just the did the undervolt it helped a smidge but the cpu would eventually build up enough heaf (over 10 mins cpu and gpu stressing with furmark and the stress test in intel xtu. so next i went under core and lowered the mutiplier under 3 cores active and 4 cores active to 33x. doing this instantly mady my temps settle down to82-85 during a stress test again. the pcu was running at 3.19ghz so stilla very admirable speed. and after 20 mins of the dual stress trests my temp never went over 85

hmscott
12-30-2014, 05:30 PM
i have some good news to report. i just the did the undervolt it helped a smidge but the cpu would eventually build up enough heaf (over 10 mins cpu and gpu stressing with furmark and the stress test in intel xtu. so next i went under core and lowered the mutiplier under 3 cores active and 4 cores active to 33x. doing this instantly mady my temps settle down to82-85 during a stress test again. the pcu was running at 3.19ghz so stilla very admirable speed. and after 20 mins of the dual stress trests my temp never went over 85

Boom_austin, as long as you are there you can also bump up the 1 core / 2 core active multipliers to OC for single/dual threaded - most - situations.

During the benchmark only the 4 active setting is in effect, so you can try raising the 3 active multiplier to max.

Uusing Intel XTU to set the CPU core/cache multipliers is likely the best/easiest way to avoid Thermal Throttling and get the best performance for the G751's.

NitroX
12-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Yup. Strongly confirming what Hmscott said. I did the undervolt for the CPU and I keep my "4 cores" option to x33 when gaming. The temps are damn better now and the CPU ca still handle everything. If the guys from ASUS will eventually release a driver that will raise the RPM for the CPU then we will have even better temps. I just saw a thread today with a guy who has problems with the CPU fan working at maximum RPM which is 4200rpm. From the 3000rpm that I saw when my CPU was at 91C to 4000rpm is a very long distance that could improve the temps significantly.

Boom_austin
12-30-2014, 07:57 PM
i know a selling point of this laptop is how quiet it is but thats awesome when just browsing the web or stuff like that. i really with they would sllow the fans to go to full speed. i dont really care if its loud when gaming id rather have loud and cool then hot and quiet

NitroX
12-30-2014, 10:52 PM
We all would love that and this is why we will keep the pressure on ASUS in order to release a future driver that will fix the RPMs. I'll make an official feedback these days since we have enough evidence now that the fans are indeed too lazy.

Boom_austin
12-31-2014, 01:36 AM
keep me posted on what you hear back from them i would love to hear

Boom_austin
01-04-2015, 11:16 PM
We all would love that and this is why we will keep the pressure on ASUS in order to release a future driver that will fix the RPMs. I'll make an official feedback these days since we have enough evidence now that the fans are indeed too lazy.

have you had any luck with making that official post?

NitroX
01-06-2015, 05:35 PM
have you had any luck with making that official post?

Not yet... srry! I started college again along with my trainings and it's a pain in the ass to find the free time.

Boom_austin
01-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Not yet... srry! I started college again along with my trainings and it's a pain in the ass to find the free time.

all good haha i understand :P

Boxis
01-11-2015, 11:01 AM
My fans managed to hit 3500RPMs but only after 2mins of throttling so it didnt help at all. But at least we can see it is definitely possible for them to hit 4k all we need is just to be able to set more aggressive fan profile not just starting to hit 3.3kRPM when cpu is already at 95C like it is now...

NitroX
01-11-2015, 12:44 PM
all good haha i understand :P

I just sent the feedback to ASUS. Now I'm waiting for their reply.

@Boxis: As you said, the 3500rpm's aren't helping much if the heat has already been accumulated in the case and the hardware started throttling. If the fan would spin at 3500rpm from 70-75C then we would see a difference.

ExpatGamer
01-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Here's an update on my case: In my regular warmer climate (30C ambient) and with my new unit, I'm getting temps around 89C running the FurMark + Prime95 stress test.

So I'm not thermal throttling on this test although its still a little close for comfort. What is happening however is that I'm thermal throttling when I run Dragon Age Inquisition on the highest settings. Again, the fans are not hitting top speed and the temp is getting as high as 94C. I think what accounts for the difference is that Prime95 runs on all the cores so they clock at 2.6 GHz whereas DAI runs on one core which clocks at 3.3 GHz. Otherwise, I can't imagine how Prime95 Small FFT could generate less heat than DAI.

One possibility I hadn't considered is that, although the system starts thermal throttling at 93C, the fan profile might be set to have a max temp of 95C or something. Again, I'm not entirely sure what's happening at low levels of thermal throttling since the clock speed doesn't step down. So I'm not sure what, if any, impact this is having on performance. Still, I'd like it to be running cooler if only for the longevity of the machine. I like that the G751 is relatively quiet, but its just a gimmick if the fans aren't properly cooling the CPU.

I'm still pushing Asus to take my inquiry about the fan speed seriously. The last communication I got suggested that I RMA but I'm pushing to get this escalated to a tech who can understand the issue with the fan speeds. You have any better luck NitroX?

Can any Asus personnel reading this help us out here?

Boxis
01-13-2015, 08:57 AM
I got respond that I should update to BIOS 205 .
I did that but the problem is still there.
CPU hits 86C in Prime 95 + FurMark after 3mins and then the fan is "stucked" at 3000-3100RPMs so after 1-2 more mins temp goes up to classic 95C just because the fan does not go faster. Funny it starts to spin to 3500RPMs just after 2 cores hit 95C.

rmuniak
01-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Boxis i have the same - 95 C with Prime+Fumark and even with Crisis 3 gaming. To mitigate, i use Notebook Fan Control with some of the profile mentioned in the other topics - when switched on it speeds up the fans to 3300 RPM just after the cpu hits 75. With that it almost possible to not to hit 93 thermal throttling threshold. Be sure to turn off the profile and fan control service when you don't need it - in idle it can turn off the fans at all and thus you might get 60 C in idle...

Boom_austin
01-30-2015, 01:09 AM
I got respond that I should update to BIOS 205 .
I did that but the problem is still there.
CPU hits 86C in Prime 95 + FurMark after 3mins and then the fan is "stucked" at 3000-3100RPMs so after 1-2 more mins temp goes up to classic 95C just because the fan does not go faster. Funny it starts to spin to 3500RPMs just after 2 cores hit 95C.

looks weird to me still any updates on how its gone ?

Boxis
02-02-2015, 05:29 PM
looks weird to me still any updates on how its gone ?
I have sent it for RMA just yesterday, cause I was away for some time. Will update this post when I get it back.

Boxis
02-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Okay, I have got my laptop back from RMA today ( I sent it there for high CPU temps).

They reinstalled OS / drivers and made a combined stress test. During the stress test they got 96C on CPU after which they wrote that the temperature is under the maximum operational limit (100C) so they do not see any problem with the temperature.

So, that's it. It is pretty sad if you ask me, they could at least try to repaste it and see if temps would be better or no, since I have bought this laptop mainly for its good cooling system, oh well.
Posting it here just so other people think twice before sending it for RMA if they have similar temperatures like I do.

insiZion1
02-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Use wishmakers nbfc profile mate thats in the other thread on here. Will sort your temps out for sure. Put all this behind you and start to enjoy your machine. Wait till your nearing the end of your warranty then you can send it in for a repaste.
Thx for going through the rma process tho ... im sure it will prevent lots of fellow users going down the same road..including me.
Keep your chin up old bean.

NitroX
02-14-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your experience Boxis :(. It seems like ASUS does not give a crap on what we think. I have made an official technical feedback were I specifically explained the problem and still I haven't heard a thing that they are working to solve it or something. Ehh, if we are going to take for good what ASUS tells us, then we should be running safe with CPU temps under 100C. Maybe we are just used to see much lower temps from the older CPU generations.

If you do want to lower your temps quite a bit, I recommend downclocking a bit the CPU using Intel XTU and apply and undervolt. I am currently running the CPU at x32, x31, x30, x30 with the cache at x32 and with an undervolt of -80mv core and -80mv cache. Only with these settings I have reduced the maximum CPU peak to 80-82C while gaming. If I also activate NBFC and set the fans to run at 3300RPM then the maximum temp of the CPU is only 77-78 with the average running at 72-73 :).

Don't worry about the underclocking and undervolting because it won't affect the performance too much in apps that don't use 100% of your CPU. In games like AC Unity and Crysis 3 I don't even feel the difference from 3400Mhz to 3000Mhz, but I can sure see much lower temps.

NOTE: Be careful to also lower the cache frequency as I stated earlier because leaving it at x35 or x36 will not lower the temps as much as I said.

joro_abv
02-26-2015, 09:58 AM
First of all - special thanks to NitroX for all of his contributions to this forum. Always good and helpful information. Now, to my question. I successfully undervilted my G751JT to the maximum -90mv/-100mv and now I'm getting some 3-4 degrees cooler temps on standalone CPU stress test (Intel XTU). So, not a huge improvement, but just as expected and also a welcome one, having that is free and a very easy one. Haven't tried the combined CPU/GPU stress test yet (I was getting about 91-92 degress on 30min combined before the undervolt). Anyway, my question is : I have the feeling that the system got a bit sluggish after the undervolt. I know it shouldn't be, but I have to ask - is that possible or I'm just paranoid ?

NitroX
02-26-2015, 12:56 PM
First of all - special thanks to NitroX for all of his contributions to this forum. Always good and helpful information. Now, to my question. I successfully undervilted my G751JT to the maximum -90mv/-100mv and now I'm getting some 3-4 degrees cooler temps on standalone CPU stress test (Intel XTU). So, not a huge improvement, but just as expected and also a welcome one, having that is free and a very easy one. Haven't tried the combined CPU/GPU stress test yet (I was getting about 91-92 degress on 30min combined before the undervolt). Anyway, my question is : I have the feeling that the system got a bit sluggish after the undervolt. I know it shouldn't be, but I have to ask - is that possible or I'm just paranoid ?

First of all, thank you very much for the appreciations :)!
Now, on the topic, the undervolt shouldn't affect your system by any means. Though I have also tested -90mv/-100mv and I was sure that it was stable because it passed the stress test and I could play AC Unity without any problems, but when I have played Crysis 3 I started to get random laptop resets. So, I would advise keeping the undervolting to a -80mv/-80mv in order to be more stable. Those -10/-20mv won't even change very much and this way you know your system will not make any problems.
I also saw someone saying that a safe undervolt would be anything over 0.6V, so this means that with -80mv/-80mv it will be just at the safe point of 0.6V . I didn't got any random restart since I have used -80mv/-80mv, and this profile was set about 2 months ago. So, yeah, I can say that it is pretty stable.

You could also try to make some profiles that underclock the CPU to x30-x32 (for all 4 cores) when you are gaming very intensely to further reduce the temperature. As I said, you won't notice any performance loss in most games.

Aand, if you are interested I am currently working on a NBFC official profile to increase the CPU's fan rpm at the corresponding temperature thresholds. I have been reading a lot of stuff in the past week and I have found indisputable proof that the CPU fan is running at too low rpm's. For example: The GPU fan goes into 5th state at 75C, which means 75% of maximum rpm. While the CPU only goes to 5th state when it reaches 90C. This is why our GPU is way cooler than the CPU. I did told ASUS that the CPU fan profile is not appropriate but they have ignored me due to lack of proof. So, I have decided to take solve this problem with NBFC.

I will do one profile that only controls the CPU fan as the GPU is already cooling itself very good, and I will also add one profile with controls for both fans just for the people who wants to personally change their fan rpm's. I just have to make some more tests because it seems that are some programs interfering with NBFC and with the laptop's Embedded Controller (EC) which is used by the NBFC to write the new speeds.

JasenDoe
02-26-2015, 01:03 PM
You are just paranoid my friend, undervolt should not cause any performance issues, only black screen if you undervolt too much.
I am also on -100/-90 mV for 2 months now, and no problems on idle or playing games, temps lower like 4-5 degrees.

I also use the fan profile and while gaming it's 81 MAX, and yes combined stress test without profile or undervolt i also had temps over 90 degrees!

It's just how our laptops run, they don't have bottom vents to suck the dust, just the vents to blow out the heat. So less cleaning from dust, but more hotter then it should be.

I have not reduced the multipliers on the CPU, that could cause performance drops, mine is set to default.

Undervolt is just pure genius, had no problem what so ever on max undervolt, playing this machine every day :D

joro_abv
02-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks for your answers, guys. NitroX, will follow your advice and go back to -80/-80, to play it fully safe. Indeed, Asus should've listen to such complaints, but I think they just built such a support chain that actually effectively and totally breaks the link between clients and the people that should take real actions and decisions, which makes it awful ... that's what I think at least.

Sh4Sh
04-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Sorry for kinda of necroposting, but Dark Souls 3 came out and while it runs like a charm on my G751 jy @i7-4860, I get between 86 and 92 degrees on cpu. Gpu is nicely down at 76 even on max load, but the cpu is warming up. No throttling or anything, but how to reduce that?
Don't bring up stuff like cleaning, repaste etc, my laptop is fine, this cpu just heats up naturally. Would a coolpad help? I don't want to underclock my cpu.

Weirdoutworld
04-12-2016, 04:14 AM
A coolpad would make the hard drives, ram & plastic case cool. It won't reach the sinks or anything that could help. Play under a cieling fan. I noticed a couple degree difference doing it. Other than that... You've ruled out any other solution.

Weirdoutworld
04-12-2016, 04:16 AM
4860 is a HOT chip. Do a lot of reserch and undervolt. You won't regret it.

Sh4Sh
04-12-2016, 10:42 AM
I can see it's a hot chip, but given that the Tjunction is 100 degrees, I'm not happy with seeing anything getting closer to 95. Normally I can workaround it, like with CSGO, by limiting the fps, and even heavy games like Dying Light rarely peak past 90 degrees, however DS3 is a new beast and I'm not quite sure how to manage the cpu yet. Moving power management to balanced will downclock the cpu a bit? Or as soon as I'm in game it will still unleash it's full power?