PDA

View Full Version : [Asus G751JY] CPU Fan suddenly running at full speed all the time.

Karzmu
12-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Hello,

yesterday while i was doing some web browsing on my G751JY my cpu fan suddenly started to work on full speed and it works like that till now (I'm assuming that CPU fan is on the left if you look on the laptop opened screen and use keyboard). CPU is extremely cool (36 C) and the air going through the vents as well. I tried restarting my computer but it didn't help. The CPU usage during idle is about 1-2%, but the fan still works at full speed. The GPU (Graphics Card) fan is working in normal way. What can i do to make my CPU fan work in normal way as well?

NitroX
12-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Hmm... Sounds interesting because some people over here would prefer to know how to make the fan go on full speed to lower the temps :)). I assume if may be a driver related problem. Did you try to install any of the bios versions from ASUS support zone? Or did you try to use any kind of software to control your fans ?

Karzmu
12-30-2014, 11:23 AM
I did completly nothing with the BIOS or Fans control. Just suddenly CPU Fan started to work at full speed and it's annoying because it's really noisy now during idle :(. As I said GPU (Graphics Card) fan works completly normal only CPU Fan is spinning like hell :P

NitroX
12-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Could you tell us the RPM of the CPU fan at this moment ? Use HWMonitor and check it out.

Karzmu
12-30-2014, 11:36 AM
It's 4100 - 4200 RPM constantly.

NitroX
12-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Dude. You have just answered something that we we're very interested about :D. Your problem may lead to our solution. Ok. Firstly I wanna ask you to make a print screen with the HWMonitor and the fans RPM and post it here because this will help us further into convincing ASUS that we need a more aggressive fan profile to lower the temps. The CPU fan in all cases never went over 3100RPM even at 91C.
Regarding your problem, let's see how you could solve it. I would firstly suggest you to reinstall the chipset driver from here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/ and after that download the Windows BIOS Flash Utility along with the latest Bios version 205 and then update your bios to 205 using that tool. Just use the Bios Flash tool and then restart the PC and let the bios update make its things. After the update is complete, enter the bios and check if the version is really 205. Then check it out if the fan still goes mad.
If this doesn't solve your problem, come back and well try to find another solution.

Karzmu
12-30-2014, 12:11 PM
I post a screenshot of HWMonitor. I'm not so happy as you with this RPM because it feels like it isn't good for my fan to run so fast (but maybe i'm just not used to my laptop being that noisy). I'll give it a try with updating BIOS to 205.

Karzmu
12-30-2014, 12:23 PM
I've just updated my BIOS to 205 and still no difference. This fan is killing me :( Do you think that fan running constantly at such high speed can damage itself?

ExpatGamer
12-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem with the fan but its also an interesting test case for those of us interested in investigating the G751s cooling issues. A patch/BIOS update to fix the fan profile might even fix your problem too. You can read up on it here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55539-G751-Fan-Control-and-Overheating

Would you mind running a stress test so we can see your CPU temp with the fan running at 4100 RPM? We've been using a standard FurMark + Prime95 Small FFT stress test so our results are reproducible and comparable. I'm really curious to see what kind of temps you'd get with the fan running at that speed.

To troubleshoot your issue, the first thing I would try is turning off your computer and disconnect the AC power for 10 minutes. I'd say to also remove the battery but...

I wouldn't worry about the fan in the short-term. Running at top speed constantly is probably bad for its longevity but I don't think it should be an acute problem. You could return it to the retailer. It may even be miswired to the motherboard.

NitroX
12-30-2014, 03:25 PM
As ExpatGamer said. This isn't an issue than can't get solved. If it can't be solved by software, then you could always contact the guys with the Warranty service or even RMA your laptop for another one (though I would strongly suggest to keep it if it doesn't have any other issues). May I ask you if your fan was running normal before ? Or this was an out of the box problem ?

Karzmu
12-30-2014, 03:53 PM
I tried many options but unfortunately nothing worked:
- updating BIOS from 202 to 205
- turning off, disconnecting for 20 minutes, turning on
- reinstalling intel software

I've already contacted Asus Support and they said that if updating Bios didn't work i must use Warranty Service.

I bought this laptop at 10th of December and didn't have any problems till yesterday. Fans worked properly, during games like Assassin's Creed Unity at full details even after 2 hours of constant gaming CPU temps were around 80 C and GPU temps around 70 C. Now with 4100 RPM Cpu temps during gaming are around 70 C, so that's really cool.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this must be something with hardware. The hint to this is that it happened suddenly during normal use of computer surfing the web (even not gaming) - suddenly laptop just started to work on 4100 RPM and doesn't want to stop since yesterday :(

Now I'm far away from home so I'm going to give my laptop to warranty service at 5th of January. I'll give you an answer what was wrong with my laptop.

NitroX
12-30-2014, 04:03 PM
It may be a virus? Try to reinstall your OS. If this still doesn't fix the problem, then the warranty service may be the last resort.

Karzmu
12-30-2014, 04:26 PM
It can't be the virus because the fan works at full speed in BIOS, Linux and Windows. And when fan started to spin like crazy I was wisiting reliable sites (youtube, bbc) which i visit all the time. So to conclude there is no point in reinstalling the OS if the fan spins at max speed even in BIOS. I think that warranty service is my only option but i'm not happy with this.

NitroX
12-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Yup. Seems like that. Don't worry about it. Me and more others have done an RMA for their models... This series of laptops have had a very bad Quality Control and ASUS should be ashamed for what happened. I've put all my trust in their professionalism but it seems that they are just a big company that go for the profit.
My advice is to keep calm, call the service guys and go to them to solve your problem. It may just be a wire or smth that could be solved right away. Otherwise, did you have any other problems with the laptop? Considering it may be more productive to go for an RMA ?

Karzmu
12-30-2014, 09:47 PM
I have completly no other problems with my laptop and that's my first one. I hope too that that's something simple to fix (like replacing the fan) and during the repair other things whon't be messed up :P Can I make just an offtop question what was the problems with your models? Thanks for all your recent help :)

Karzmu
01-13-2015, 10:09 AM
So my laptop came back from RMA. The only thing that i have written in the report is that it was due to some changes in BIOS. No matter how strange it sounds (because i didn't make any changes in BIOS when it happened) it helped. Now my cpu fan runs normally and they didn't even open it ;).

hmscott
01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
So my laptop came back from RMA. The only thing that i have written in the report is that it was due to some changes in BIOS. No matter how strange it sounds (because i didn't make any changes in BIOS when it happened) it helped. Now my cpu fan runs normally and they didn't even open it ;).

Karzmu, that's good news, no hardware problems. :)

At least you know if it happens again what to try. Go into BIOS and select Restore Defaults, and F10 - reboot. That is likely all they needed to do. They might have forced a BIOS install of the same version again as well.

Glad to hear it is working now :)

Sanctrum
01-13-2015, 09:49 PM
--- not relevant now --- deleted

NitroX
01-14-2015, 12:06 PM
--- not relevant now --- deleted

It is still relevant for us because many users still think that a more aggressive Fan profile should be implemented in a future update. I received the answer from ASUS Suport about this issue and they pursued me to update the bios, my chipset driver and Intel management software to the latest drivers. Of course I already had them installed since the day I bought the laptop, so they weren't any help. I will reply them these days and explain to them again that this is a general issue and not an isolated case.

Sanctrum
01-14-2015, 03:25 PM
It is still relevant for us because many users still think that a more aggressive Fan profile should be implemented in a future update. I received the answer from ASUS Suport about this issue and they pursued me to update the bios, my chipset driver and Intel management software to the latest drivers. Of course I already had them installed since the day I bought the laptop, so they weren't any help. I will reply them these days and explain to them again that this is a general issue and not an isolated case.

I was meaning that my post was not relevant... So I have edited it to "deleted"... As it was answering the question asked and at the previous page and already answered by someone else at the second page. :D

cablebandit
01-14-2015, 03:36 PM
I would have liked to have seen the temps on cpu/gpu if the fan was indeed at full speed :)

justas
05-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Dude. You have just answered something that we we're very interested about :D. Your problem may lead to our solution. Ok. Firstly I wanna ask you to make a print screen with the HWMonitor and the fans RPM and post it here because this will help us further into convincing ASUS that we need a more aggressive fan profile to lower the temps. The CPU fan in all cases never went over 3100RPM even at 91C.
Regarding your problem, let's see how you could solve it. I would firstly suggest you to reinstall the chipset driver from here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/ and after that download the Windows BIOS Flash Utility along with the latest Bios version 205 and then update your bios to 205 using that tool. Just use the Bios Flash tool and then restart the PC and let the bios update make its things. After the update is complete, enter the bios and check if the version is really 205. Then check it out if the fan still goes mad.
If this doesn't solve your problem, come back and well try to find another solution.

Very helpfull. The same problem on my Asus k42f - fun goes on full all the time. After reinstalling suggestions, shutting down, disconnecting battery, then placed BIOS defaults - fun went normally.
Thank you!

Angah Putra
06-06-2017, 02:50 AM
Hello,

yesterday while i was doing some web browsing on my G751JY my cpu fan suddenly started to work on full speed and it works like that till now (I'm assuming that CPU fan is on the left if you look on the laptop opened screen and use keyboard). CPU is extremely cool (36 C) and the air going through the vents as well. I tried restarting my computer but it didn't help. The CPU usage during idle is about 1-2%, but the fan still works at full speed. The GPU (Graphics Card) fan is working in normal way. What can i do to make my CPU fan work in normal way as well?

I also experienced the same problem. What I made was reset the ASUS Fan Filter Checker Count and then restart the Laptop.

Julskey
06-06-2017, 04:57 AM
My G752 fans spin violently whenever I start FL Studio, and it only returns to normal with a restart.