PDA

View Full Version : G20aj No signal, Gpu Fan at Full Speed

zhangyifu
12-30-2014, 09:51 PM
I recently bought a G20aj with a GTX 760, and I us an HDMI cable for the monitor. BUt occasionally when I boot the computer, there's no signal and the Gpu fan runs at full speed. Everything started to work fine after a force restart. Any solutions? BTW my Cpu fan would go pull speed for 3 to 4 seconds on startup, which is quite stange.

toronto699
01-02-2015, 05:47 AM
that's normal for fans to run at full speed at startup or boot

Bodycount69
01-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Some time Mine runs fans full out and just sit there no video so I have to hold power and wait a min or so and power back on.

toronto699
01-03-2015, 07:23 PM
If your G20 has issues right out of the box I would return it, I would not accept a defective G20 right out of the box, I get another

hori
01-04-2015, 05:54 AM
mine too, fans run full speed and need to repower. I have GTX770 and only have the intel card running for now because of the bsod issues. Wish asus would make fix with bios or something.

Bodycount69
01-04-2015, 03:36 PM
mine too, fans run full speed and need to repower. I have GTX770 and only have the intel card running for now because of the bsod issues. Wish asus would make fix with bios or something.

Yes I wish they would fix this.

chrimen
01-04-2015, 09:04 PM
This has happened to me a few times as well.

edmak1804
01-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Yeah, sorry to say the same thing happened to me on Sunday. Purchased the G20-B09 (the 1299.99 USD Best Buy model) and spent two whole nights installing all my games and programs (basically used a full terabyte real quick). Then Sunday afternoon I wake up (I work overnights, not lazy/unemployed) I go to turn on my comp, I heart the fan cycle up on high, which is normal for about 3 seconds... but it doesnt stop, then the video isnt outputting, I try swapping cables and three different monitors (turning off and on each time) I finally try the default Intel HDMI output and it works, after a system restore, re installing drivers, etc no dice. I was pretty angry because I literally wasted 2 whole nights setting it up to where I wanted it before it crapped out. I spent an hour with tech support and wrote one very long angry letter to the Asus Loyalty line which I now semi-regret.

So i exchanged the unit at the Best Buy (luckily a 5 min drive) and spend all Sunday into Monday re installing everything again (I developed a double external hard drive system to maximize my copy-paste steam backup method from my old comp).

I'm now happy, and have no issues, My advice with ANYONE if you have these issues is to exchange ASAP if you are within your normal Return/Exchange period.

In the next few months Ill likely perform the 900 series upgrade listed in other threads so the bad 700 series issue shouldn't crop up again. I want to point out I am a HUGE Asus fan despite this issue, I've had 2 gaming laptops, 2 tablets and now this desktop (At least 6000 worth of their products)

hori
01-06-2015, 04:41 PM
I don`t think getting another is gonna fix as it`s not a random issue. There are too many people having same problem. Asus needs to fix issues with bios update. Mine is month old and was fine for first week then was getting bsod with nvidia card so switched to intel and that fixed that problem for now but week or so after that the fans would stay on high and have to power off and restart to go back to normal.
ASUS NEEDS TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE.

CyberKP
01-08-2015, 06:53 PM
I think you are right, hori. I have been dealing with it also. I have tested everything. The system is solid, rock solid (besides the periodic start up issue). I have also figured out a whole bunch about it. I am a programmer with a heavy IT background. Here's what I have figured out. It's a power sequence issue between the Nvida card and the system in general. For instance, (VERY IMPORTANT), the comupuer does in fact boot when our fans go to full speed, However, it is not using the Nvida card, it's using the onboard graphics output (the MB HDMI) output. I hooked up my monitor's extra HDMI connector and found that out. I did a whole bunch of R&D on the subject and found much on the nature of the card and motherboard, this was occurring in other systems when the graphics cards were not getting power or not reporting in properly to the system. With the cool fact we have the spilt (one supplies the system, one supplies the GFX card) power I ran tests (I do not suggest you repeat I don;t know the long term effects) of just powering the computer and wa-la the issue was identical, full fans boot on motherboard Intel graphics. So that proves whatever is happening is the GFX card is not either powering up or it's inital sequence is "off-timed" with the system so when the system polls it it's not in a ready state so it falls back on the onboard card. The Nvida card then shifts it's fans to full speed (perhaps it's a planned defense mechansim for a possibly overheaded card that fails to boot properly, I'm guessing it's a blind response because they rather turn the fans on full when in doubt to save the card) .

Anyway, the point is shutdown normally once it's booted to the win 8.1 login screen. then restart. Then I boot pretty much each and every time. I have been powering off and not doing the warm restart as I don't trust it. You must let the system boot, I have had disrupted the process blindly (before I knew about the secondary output was ok) with disasterous windows consequences durring my testing phases. In fact it's what lead me to try the motherboard's html output. I figured the damage I was causing to the OS by disrupting the boot mean it was booting, Thus there had to be video output somewhere.

I also have been conjecturing temperature might be a factor but I can't prove it. The GFX card may have to warm up to report in at the right time. My only evidence thus far is the issue only has occured to me when turning on the system cold and after sitting the night. But that is hardly proof.

Whatever the root cause is, my gut says it's all about timing. Asus needs to try to address this through bios/firmware updates. It might be bad enough that NVidia may need to bring out a patch for the onboard gfx card firmware.

No matter what, so far I am finding the issue manageable as long as it does not progress into something else, which I don't see happening yet. And I won't cow down to a service tech that knows less than me and go RMA on this. I know my G20 is rock solid and I refuse to go through the service maze at this time.

SO those with the issue....

Let the system boot to windows (verify with the onboard HDMI) I have my monitor cable with both my primary out and my secondary card hooked up full time now.

Do a shutdown from the windows primary login point.

Power back up.

So far that it's "manageable" we need to harp on Asus without talking to their entry level customer servcie techs, someone has to know somebody we can talk to without having to mass RMA and go through weeks/months/years of pain

CyberKP
01-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Ok, I must be getting faster with the reboot cycle or something. Today it took a few tries with my method. So the almost every time is somewhat inaccurate. Although I have always been able to get the system up in the end. The method works, I just have to figure out how to get predictable results from it.

What perplexes me is so far, once I get past it, the whole day through final shutdown at night all works fine and I usually shut off and turn on more than a couple of times.

I wonder if there are some bios settings I can toy with here, the issue could be attached to something in that exotic power stuff they put onboard. I'm really at a loss here.

CyberKP
01-09-2015, 02:59 PM
I did some checking, I see they posted a new bios update yesterday. I wonder if it has a fix?

ASUS G20AJ BIOS Version 0601, update 2015/01/08

zhangyifu
01-09-2015, 09:52 PM
So I've tried 3 things during the past week
1. disabled the intel hd 4600 from device manager
2. installed the latest driver for the Nvidia card,
3. unintalled Virtue Watt

And it turned out that this problem has been fixed somehow. Don't know exactly what fixed problem but my G20 is now working fine. Gonna go install the new BIOS today.

CyberKP
01-10-2015, 02:43 AM
I just installed the bios upgrade I found. I have to see what happens there, it's too soon to tell. I also like where you are going with this, zhangyifu. I think you are closer to the actual issue than I got. I did try uninstalling VirtuWatt and still had the issue. I also upgraded the NVida drivers, that also did not change anything. I think your #1 idea may be it. It's where I'll go if I see the issue again. Although I could see it cause an issue that might leave you in the dark, if the NVidia card refuses to come back, but to me it sounds like you are going in the right direction.

CyberKP
01-10-2015, 01:15 PM
OK, things are curiously different this morning. Now I am cautious. The system came on quietly, no full speed fans, but to a blank blue screen on the html (onboard Intel) port. Remember, I had them both outputs connected to determine a full boot occurred before resetting during the full fan event. I figured that both cards were displaying so I removed the onboard cable and switched over to the port the NVida was on (I'm using the displayport output), and it was fine. It's going to take a while for me to call it a fix (three periods, whatever that is.), but I have certainly have never had that series of things happen that way before.

Now, for the VirtuWatt. I took if off as part of the attempt to circumvent the bug. We'll I have been trying to put it back (call me crazy, but I'm trying to go back to stock software) Every time I install it, it works then the next day it shuts off with some kind of warning on the icon. I'm not even sure what that thing even does, I guess it manages power by switching off something in the graphics that's not being used.

CyberKP
01-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Ok, new bios day two. No repeat of the issue. I have never gone this long without an incident. More promising, but I'm not completely convinced yet.

CyberKP
01-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Day 3, no sign of the incident. I think I can tell when it would have occured and I think the BIOS update took care of it. It seems like there is more post processing going on and it's catching something. I did have one boot over the weekend that caused all played media, you tube, Cyberlink DVD, and others to play slow, but I think that's a window's 8.1 thing, and not any part of anything evil.

chrimen
01-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Day 3, no sign of the incident. I think I can tell when it would have occured and I think the BIOS update took care of it. It seems like there is more post processing going on and it's catching something. I did have one boot over the weekend that caused all played media, you tube, Cyberlink DVD, and others to play slow, but I think that's a window's 8.1 thing, and not any part of anything evil.

I downloaded the latest bios yesterday and the fans booted just as they should have.
I have been having the slow play on the media issue almost on every boot. I have to do a restart for the media to begin playing normally.
Has this been happening to anyone else?

billmavra
01-12-2015, 11:16 PM
So I've tried 3 things during the past week
1. disabled the intel hd 4600 from device manager
2. installed the latest driver for the Nvidia card,
3. unintalled Virtue Watt

And it turned out that this problem has been fixed somehow. Don't know exactly what fixed problem but my G20 is now working fine. Gonna go install the new BIOS today.

Guys i tried zhangyifu's solution and it worked perfectly for me.... (upgrading my bios didn't help at all....)

hori
01-12-2015, 11:46 PM
so you still got fans running high with new bios? The fan isn`t the nvidia card it`s the case fans that go full speed. I have been using the intel only for last couple weeks and got the high speed fans that dont stop until you reboot.
Never updated bios but it`s been 5 days since it acted up, my virtue watt was also disabled not to run on start up.

billmavra
01-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Guys i tried zhangyifu's solution and it worked perfectly for me.... (upgrading my bios didn't help at all....)

Eventually it did it again....

chrimen
01-14-2015, 05:54 PM
The fans have not acted up since I downloaded the new bios last Sunday.

I now have sounds played in slow motion every time the computer has a cold boot up. Someone else mentioned they had slow media. Mine seems to be the sound only.

Anyone else having these issues?

zhangyifu
01-15-2015, 01:52 AM
Despite having no more fans issue after all, the media of my g20 also started to play in slow motion now. I wonder what type of sound output device are you using chrimen?

zhangyifu
01-15-2015, 01:57 AM
Also, I forgot to mention that I tried to enable the intel hd 4600, no GPU fan problem so far.

chrimen
01-15-2015, 09:07 PM
Despite having no more fans issue after all, the media of my g20 also started to play in slow motion now. I wonder what type of sound output device are you using chrimen?

I have it connected via HDMI. I always use the Nvidia GPU. I haven't tried turning it while the on board GPU is connected yet to see if I'm having the same issue. I'll try that tonight.

This only happens after it's been off for a while. But it happens every single time now.

zhangyifu
01-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Probably the gtx 760s came with faulty hdmi ports, switching to the DVI ports might solve the problem.

zhangyifu
01-16-2015, 10:06 PM
And the GPU fan started to act wired again after I enabled the onboard graphics card, disabling the hd 4600 seems to be the only solution to this problem. Also, I noticed that the booting time was very unstable the after the hd 4600 was enabled, normally it would take around 35 secs to boot up but sometimes it would boot up in 15secs.

CyberKP
01-17-2015, 04:51 AM
I downloaded the latest bios yesterday and the fans booted just as they should have.
I have been having the slow play on the media issue almost on every boot. I have to do a restart for the media to begin playing normally.
Has this been happening to anyone else?

So far I have only seen the slow media thing twice. Once before my bios update and once after. I haven't seen anything bad for over a week now.

CyberKP
01-17-2015, 04:56 AM
And the GPU fan started to act wired again after I enabled the onboard graphics card, disabling the hd 4600 seems to be the only solution to this problem. Also, I noticed that the booting time was very unstable the after the hd 4600 was enabled, normally it would take around 35 secs to boot up but sometimes it would boot up in 15secs.

So far I have not seen anything odd since I did the bios for the full week. I do see booting inconsistencies in time but nothing out of the ordinary. I keep trying to load the virtuawatt back from the download from ASUS but the first reboot after install I get a license error. for now I'm giving up on that. I don't know if that figures into my stability I have now.

CyberKP
01-17-2015, 05:03 AM
So far after a full week after I loaded the new bios I have not see the issue even once. I am using the most recent drivers from NVIDIA (direct from update loaded under the NVIDIA experience, NOT from the ASUS page). I have been also applying all the important. updates from MS.

I am also using the DISPLAY PORT output for my monitor. Maybe that factors in and something is up for folks using the other types, VGA, HDMI, etc.

CyberKP
01-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Holy CRAP, after a whole week of normal operation, I saw the whole full fan thing again first thing today. So I'm trying to disable the Intel hd 4600 and I'll see what it does for me like zhangyifu first did.

zhangyifu
01-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Holy CRAP, after a whole week of normal operation, I saw the whole full fan thing again first thing today. So I'm trying to disable the Intel hd 4600 and I'll see what it does for me like zhangyifu first did.

Did this problem occurred to those who upgraded their GPUs? I hope switching out the gtx 760 would solve the problem.

hori
01-17-2015, 10:08 PM
the full speed fan issue has zero to do with the nvidia card. I have been using the intel only for last 2 weeks and have been getting the high speed fan issue. It was fine for like 4 or 5 days now it`s back and nothing has changed as I am still on original bios for now.

zhangyifu
01-17-2015, 11:05 PM
so you still got fans running high with new bios? The fan isn`t the nvidia card it`s the case fans that go full speed. I have been using the intel only for last couple weeks and got the high speed fans that dont stop until you reboot.
Never updated bios but it`s been 5 days since it acted up, my virtue watt was also disabled not to run on start up.

I'm pretty sure that it is the GPU fan. I could feel the strong wind coming out of the rear of the case.

CyberKP
01-19-2015, 01:43 AM
I'm pretty sure that it is the GPU fan. I could feel the strong wind coming out of the rear of the case.

When it happens to me I see the same, it's the GFX card fans (primarily). I did have a thought (but no proof) this may have to do with what is played. The week I did not see the issue, I ONLY played Elite Dangerous. The night before it happened to me again I played a mix of things including BF4 and, MechWarrior online. Maybe one of those games left the system or the gfx card in a bad state?

zhangyifu
01-19-2015, 02:40 AM
Possibly but not likely. The only time when I got that fan problem was when I was playing Shadow of Mordor, on a TV. Now I am using an actual monitor playing the same game without any fan issues. But i still believe that my G20 is not fixed even though the problem stopped occurring. Hope Asus could do something to fix this.

zhangyifu
01-19-2015, 02:46 AM
BTW I found the G20bm on the Asus US website. Wonder how is the cooling gonna go with this non-reference cooler?

billmavra
01-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Guys I reinstalled windows (format) and installed all the drivers from the asus website exept for the vga one. Also installed the GTX 760 from the nvidia website and it did it again BUT, then i connected my monitor through DVI and not HDMI and three days have pasted without an incident.... Test if using DVI solves the problem.

zhangyifu
01-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Guys I reinstalled windows (format) and installed all the drivers from the asus website exept for the vga one. Also installed the GTX 760 from the nvidia website and it did it again BUT, then i connected my monitor through DVI and not HDMI and three days have pasted without an incident.... Test if using DVI solves the problem.
How about the slow media problem? did that occur to you when you switched to the DVI port?

billmavra
01-19-2015, 11:29 PM
no but i never had the slow media problem.... although the first thing i did when i bought it was change the antivirus to eset because i already had a license but i do not think that is related... Next week if everything goes well i will try with a dvi to hdmi adapter and is if that works too...

zhangyifu
01-19-2015, 11:32 PM
Cool

CyberKP
01-20-2015, 05:26 AM
the full speed fan issue has zero to do with the nvidia card. I have been using the intel only for last 2 weeks and have been getting the high speed fan issue. It was fine for like 4 or 5 days now it`s back and nothing has changed as I am still on original bios for now.

Interesting, it makes me think about my early experiment where I tested the system without the graphics power in. When I did that I got it boot on the intel HD and the NVidia card goes to full fans just like when the issue happens, but I have no idea if it's just a coincidence that it behaves the same. It feels like one of my original thoughts that there is some kind of initialization sequence issue. If it's that I fear it's something we'll have to live with. At least until Asus hopefully fixes it. I think about the person here who reinstalled everything, I feel three days is not enough sample time. After my bios update and my steady (single) use behavior I went a full week before I saw it again. I can't see how the OS would make any difference since this issue appears to happen before the OS has a chance to kick in. Feels like during the post but this thing boots so fast it's really hard to tell. Has anyone heard of anyone trying to call tech support and got any new information?

billmavra
01-20-2015, 02:00 PM
guys i also found in BIOS Advanced->System Agent Configuration->Graphics Configuration->Primary display that you can choose between integrated and pcie....maybe this solves it... Haven't tried it yet....

CyberKP
01-20-2015, 04:50 PM
guys i also found in BIOS Advanced->System Agent Configuration->Graphics Configuration->Primary display that you can choose between integrated and pcie....maybe this solves it... Haven't tried it yet....

I was just thinking about looking for such a setting. I'm not at home yet, whats the default? I'll look when I can and I'll brave the change if it looks valid to me. Thanks for the information.

CyberKP
01-20-2015, 06:14 PM
I did some digging. I think the default setting we are going to find is "auto". There might be some merrit to trying this. I won't make my final assesment until I'm in the actual bios and everything becomes real to me. Thanks again Billmavra for finding another angle to this.

zhangyifu
01-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Started to have some stuttering problems today, seems weird.

CyberKP
01-21-2015, 02:07 AM
Started to have some stuttering problems today, seems weird.

audio/multimedia ? or windows os?

CyberKP
01-21-2015, 02:11 AM
I was just thinking about looking for such a setting. I'm not at home yet, whats the default? I'll look when I can and I'll brave the change if it looks valid to me. Thanks for the information.

Ok, I have done several things with this (I know I am disobeying my computer sensei by doing two things)

I set Primary Display [auto] -> PCIE
and I set CPU Graphics Multi-monitor [Enabled] -> [Disabled]

Now it's a waiting game. If it's a sequence thing this should cure it forever, if not I'll probably be booting blind or getting post errors. We'll see. Fingers crossed,

zhangyifu
01-21-2015, 02:33 AM
audio/multimedia ? or windows os?

Just the fps in games.

zhangyifu
01-21-2015, 02:34 AM
Ok, I have done several things with this (I know I am disobeying my computer sensei by doing two things)

I set Primary Display [auto] -> PCIE
and I set CPU Graphics Multi-monitor [Enabled] -> [Disabled]

Now it's a waiting game. If it's a sequence thing this should cure it forever, if not I'll probably be booting blind or getting post errors. We'll see. Fingers crossed,

Good luck with that, we count on you man!

CyberKP
01-21-2015, 04:16 AM
Good luck with that, we count on you man!

Thanks for the super words! I had a thought to check the device manager and here is what I find. My rig is definitely on one card now. I am fairly certain the Intel Hd card is turned off on the firmware level. Now we have to see what the effect of this is on the display and the boot sequencing. I hope my gut is right. I feel the worst that can happen is the system acts like it's got no video card until I get the PCIE card to respond. If the pattern follows under these conditions it should recover after a power cycle or two. My guess would be that I'd get stopped at post with a no card signal, and with no OS boot, until the card finally responds. But this is the worst case. The best case is the two cards are vying for supremacy and taking one out of the fight puts everything right. The last time I did something of this magnitude it took a week for results to surface. I have to be very vigilant and patient. I'll try to mix behaviors that seem to be triggers for me in the mean time.

CyberKP
01-21-2015, 04:35 AM
I have been running some experiments also. There is a side effect to all this. (someone correct me if I am wrong) If I read right VirtuWatt is a GPU virtualization tool. That being said, what I have done will cut that off. I think it adds the processing power of the Intel on chip system to the Nvida's already awesome power. Now my Elite Dangerous has never liked it anyway so no loss there. I'm not even sure that it was working correctly in the first place, I'm not a big fan of virtualization over raw hardware power. So for me it's no big loss for now. If Asus takes any trouble reading our posts and finally rolls out a fix for this then rolling back should be a non-event. But I wanted to warn anyone following this about my thoughts. Also I know I am stepping out on a limb with only my warranty as a safety net, so I wouldn't follow me unless you understand the risks, and are willing to take them. I wouldn't want anyone bricking their rig on my account.

CyberKP
01-21-2015, 04:44 AM
Just the fps in games.

Have you tried turning off the virtuWatt ? maybe the virtualization is buggy. Are you stuttering all the time?

billmavra
01-21-2015, 12:14 PM
i didn't install it at all... With DVI everything works perfectly....(one week now) ... the last 2 days i changed DVI to HDMI and chose the PCIe card in BIOS and it works so far... (with the DVI it works immediately (funs blow one time and then silence) but with the HDMI fun go full speed and back 2 times and then it boots normally...) ALSO DVI worked without choosing the PCI in BIOS.. It was set to AUTO and it worked perfectly.....

CyberKP
01-21-2015, 02:04 PM
i didn't install it at all... With DVI everything works perfectly....(one week now) ... the last 2 days i changed DVI to HDMI and chose the PCIe card in BIOS and it works so far... (with the DVI it works immediately (funs blow one time and then silence) but with the HDMI fun go full speed and back 2 times and then it boots normally...) ALSO DVI worked without choosing the PCI in BIOS.. It was set to AUTO and it worked perfectly.....

Ah, so you did change the bios setting like I just did (It was your idea in the first place). I just made one additional change also. I'm going to roll back my multi-monitor support on mine back to the "enabled" default setting. we'll see if we can get two of the machines to behave the same then with same bios settings. If I figure it right that should show the Intel graphics card back in the device manager. The major difference between our systems then is I am running a 4K monitor on the display port ( It's the only way to get the full 60hz on the 4K display I'm using) and you are using the HDMI. If I have more trouble then I can always bios disable the Intel again.

CyberKP
01-21-2015, 02:07 PM

This makes me wonder also, all the people in the world that don't have this issue. I wonder if they all are using the DVI ports?

CyberKP
01-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Hey guys, I have been home sick today from work and had a chance to tinker a bit and do some digging on VirtuWatt. It's not what I thought. It's interesting, but pure crap. It does not combine power additively that I can see. It's quite the opposite. It looks like it powers down the discrete video card when it's not needed. To me that's a level of complexity with very little gain and a huge chance for buggy behavior to creep in.

Also just an update, I have been cycling with various behaviors and so far Bill's discovery seems sound with just the one setting change. No sign of the issue and I have both cards back. We'll it's still day one yet though. It also makes complete sense to me with all the original tests I did. That auto setting for primary card might be buggy in the bios with our rigs. Giving it the assertion of which card to solidly use sounds right here. I actually looked for a setting like that the first day I was doing my diagnostics but I never found it. Thanks again Bill !

zhangyifu
01-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, I have been home sick today from work and had a chance to tinker a bit and do some digging on VirtuWatt. It's not what I thought. It's interesting, but pure crap. It does not combine power additively that I can see. It's quite the opposite. It looks like it powers down the discrete video card when it's not needed. To me that's a level of complexity with very little gain and a huge chance for buggy behavior to creep in.

Also just an update, I have been cycling with various behaviors and so far Bill's discovery seems sound with just the one setting change. No sign of the issue and I have both cards back. We'll it's still day one yet though. It also makes complete sense to me with all the original tests I did. That auto setting for primary card might be buggy in the bios with our rigs. Giving it the assertion of which card to solidly use sounds right here. I actually looked for a setting like that the first day I was doing my diagnostics but I never found it. Thanks again Bill !

Hurrah!

zhangyifu
01-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Have you tried turning off the virtuWatt ? maybe the virtualization is buggy. Are you stuttering all the time?

I uninstalled VIrtuwatt. Everything worked fine after I restarted.

chrimen
01-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Do you guys think this will fix the issue with the slow sound video on start up?

I always have to restart otherwise I have slow sound or video. This ony happens when connected to the discrete GPU.

CyberKP
01-22-2015, 06:10 AM
I'm finding it doesn't "like" some games, outright. I just disable it when playing the one I have right now. I think I finally got it reinstalled ok. I got it from the ASUS support site. I'm not sure if it was an updated version or not. Although I'm not exactly thrilled with VirtuWatt or it's concept overall anyway.

CyberKP
01-22-2015, 06:17 AM
Do you guys think this will fix the issue with the slow sound video on start up?

I always have to restart otherwise I have slow sound or video. This ony happens when connected to the discrete GPU.

You mean the bios setting? I haven't seen it since I changed it, however I have only seen the issue twice in the month I have had the system, and I'm not declaring victory just yet over the fan thing. This thing has to prove itself over a few week span at least. I do get the impression I have a much smoother initialization and OS boot now. I did some digging on the slow video when I saw it in general. Seemed to me like a windows problem more than an ASUS hardware thing. without being able to repeat it at will everything I think is just mere guessing.

billmavra
01-22-2015, 12:38 PM
I think HDMI will be my choice after all....(if something bad happens i will let you know)... Glad i could help.... :)

CyberKP
01-23-2015, 02:25 PM
It's day 3 in this and I have not seen the issue or any inkling that the issue is still present. I think Bill's bios setting is the right way to go. I know before I went a full week before I saw it again, but this time feels diffrent. I have not seen any other anomlies this time and I have all the original stock software all good now (incluiding virtuWatt) back in place. I also have my windows rock solid (ASUS pun intended, I went through some wild stuff easrly on). If you guys don't hear from me again on this post, then it's a done deal. Thanks everyone for all the help ! I hope the orginal poster also has the issue solved, and everyone else for that matter.

zhangyifu
01-23-2015, 07:53 PM
It's day 3 in this and I have not seen the issue or any inkling that the issue is still present. I think Bill's bios setting is the right way to go. I know before I went a full week before I saw it again, but this time feels diffrent. I have not seen any other anomlies this time and I have all the original stock software all good now (incluiding virtuWatt) back in place. I also have my windows rock solid (ASUS pun intended, I went through some wild stuff easrly on). If you guys don't hear from me again on this post, then it's a done deal. Thanks everyone for all the help ! I hope the orginal poster also has the issue solved, and everyone else for that matter.

Thank you (and everyone else) for all the great work accomplished!

CyberKP
01-24-2015, 04:49 AM
Thank you (and everyone else) for all the great work accomplished!

I think these forums are better than starting by talking to customer service "techs". We get to avoid the blank answer of "send it in" and go through the nightmare of waiting only to get back a refurbished unit. I did that back in the day with my Alienware Aurora m7700 and regretted it thoroughly. Besides I learn a lot by talking to you guys.

desmond462
01-25-2015, 10:16 PM
Hi guys,i am thinking about getting this Asus G20,so am doing my research on it.Am very happy to find your thread ,so i sign up to be apart of the discussion to follow the various issues this rig encountered,am very happy that you guys did found the solution to this problem because am a noob to desktop pc,actually going to be my first gaming desktop pc,i have a old laptop which need to replace so am going for the G20 rig.So what am asking is this for noob like me who don't much about the G20,could you guys create some videos on youtube with some of the fixes on here,i know it would be truly appreciated by many who might still having these problems with their particular models of G20. Thank you in advance,you guys are awesome .

Lywyn
01-30-2015, 10:58 PM
Originally I was using an old monitor with just a DVI hook up when the fans would hit high and stay there my monitor would loose connection and give me the "no input" error before going black solid until I would get lucky enough for the system to revert back to a normal state (via power cycling down and waiting long periods of time). I purchased a new monitor with an HDMI connection and after plugging this in when the fans are on high I can still see my screen. Now that I can access the bios I changed the setting to PCIe (as bill described earlier). It has not changed anything. My fans are still on full speed and even with several power cycles (hard or just using the software to shut down then restart) I have been unable to get them to slow down to normal speed again. Rather than wasting 3 days of my life to reinstall and an hour trip back to the store (just to likely end up with the same issue again) I prefer trying to see if I can get it to work. On another note the system reacts completely normally with the fans on high. Other than using more power, is using the system with fans on high a damage risk? Thanks all!!!

zhangyifu
02-05-2015, 11:26 PM
OK the fan problem came up again today after the intel card got disabled through BIOS 2 weeks before. Now i can't even boot up my computer even after many times of force restart, the GPU fan just keep spinning at full speed. NEED HELP!

billmavra
02-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Guys mine did it only twice... But i found out something else that may help (not sure yet though)...It did it when i pressed the power button and held it pressed for a little while... Trying pressing it very fast and tell me if it does anything for you...(worked for me)

hori
02-06-2015, 07:13 PM
mine does it every few days? didn`t matter whether update, dvi or hdmi it still happens. I even shut it down and plugged into the intel card and the nvidia fan was till on high even though it was disabled? The machine deff has it quirks and asus is slow at fix. I can`t be bothered to send it in because they wont do anything other than replace video card which works fine.

zhangyifu
02-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Guys mine did it only twice... But i found out something else that may help (not sure yet though)...It did it when i pressed the power button and held it pressed for a little while... Trying pressing it very fast and tell me if it does anything for you...(worked for me)

Again the problem i had yesterday evening disappeared this morning, all magically. didn' have time to try you suggestion but will do that next time i encounter this problem. And i am pretty sure that it will come up again in the future.

zhangyifu
02-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Here is what Asus support told me to do, didn't try it but it might help. 46296

CyberKP
02-08-2015, 11:48 PM
Again the problem i had yesterday evening disappeared this morning, all magically. didn' have time to try you suggestion but will do that next time i encounter this problem. And i am pretty sure that it will come up again in the future.

Ok, it's been a while.... The bios alone update did not do the trick completely, although it seemed to make it happen less. I did make progress though, It took me a long time to both keep the issue from happening and locking down what I think my cause is by letting it happen. It was a long process to figure out if I was really consistent or just plain crazy. After not having a single incident since the last time I reported one (that's a long time ago if you look back in these posts) I let it happen to mine once a over a week ago, then kept it from happening then let it happen on purpose today. I seem to have figured it out at least in my case.

Well it turns out the manual says the lower operation temperature is 32 degrees F. We'll I think ASUS did not test that on the system level, I think they are using engineering values on the component level. I live in the northeast USA, I also live in an old house where we turn down the thermostat to 60, it's an old thermostat and 60 actually puts the room I have the system in, in the 50's (lower) . Well long story short, every time I go from cold boot under my lower set temp I cause the fan-boot anomaly on the process until the video card warms up. Every single time I let my house heat up over 65 then I have normal operation, no matter what. It's taken me a while but I have been able to repeat the issue and also keep it from happening at will. I don't know if that can help anyone else or not. It just been very consistent and repeatable in my case.

CyberKP
02-09-2015, 02:11 AM
Also, my conclusion comes from observational patterns from the very beginning. Let's say I never had it happen when either the system was warm and/or the environment. I wonder if there is a lower temp flaw in the firmware or hardware. Like a sensor or piece of boot code sees an irrational reading and refuses to init the video card. Everyone including me constantly worries about being too hot with rigs like this. No one ever thinks about the lower end. Maybe it's the same with the engineers that designed it.

zhangyifu
02-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Also, my conclusion comes from observational patterns from the very beginning. Let's say I never had it happen when either the system was warm and/or the environment. I wonder if there is a lower temp flaw in the firmware or hardware. Like a sensor or piece of boot code sees an irrational reading and refuses to init the video card. Everyone including me constantly worries about being too hot with rigs like this. No one ever thinks about the lower end. Maybe it's the same with the engineers that designed it.

That explain why cold boot takes so long for me. If I boot it when it has not been on for like a day, it would take like 40 seconds, and if the computer is warm when boot, i mean physically warm, it would only take 10 secs. How is Asus going to fix this though, sounds like a tricky problem.

zhangyifu
02-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Ok, it's been a while.... The bios alone update did not do the trick completely, although it seemed to make it happen less. I did make progress though, It took me a long time to both keep the issue from happening and locking down what I think my cause is by letting it happen. It was a long process to figure out if I was really consistent or just plain crazy. After not having a single incident since the last time I reported one (that's a long time ago if you look back in these posts) I let it happen to mine once a over a week ago, then kept it from happening then let it happen on purpose today. I seem to have figured it out at least in my case.

Well it turns out the manual says the lower operation temperature is 32 degrees F. We'll I think ASUS did not test that on the system level, I think they are using engineering values on the component level. I live in the northeast USA, I also live in an old house where we turn down the thermostat to 60, it's an old thermostat and 60 actually puts the room I have the system in, in the 50's (lower) . Well long story short, every time I go from cold boot under my lower set temp I cause the fan-boot anomaly on the process until the video card warms up. Every single time I let my house heat up over 65 then I have normal operation, no matter what. It's taken me a while but I have been able to repeat the issue and also keep it from happening at will. I don't know if that can help anyone else or not. It just been very consistent and repeatable in my case.

I live in Canada and my house is set at 70 degrees F. So should we just let the fan spin for a while if the problem should happen again?

chrimen
02-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Have any of you experienced slow video and or audio? when you first boot up?

CyberKP
02-11-2015, 01:41 AM
Have any of you experienced slow video and or audio? when you first boot up?

Yes, although I haven't seen it in a long while, all the R&D I have done on it pointed to a windows 8.1 issue. Since it's so rare for me, and what I have read about it I'm not too worried about it. Doesn't exactly feel like a hardware thing to me either.

CyberKP
02-11-2015, 01:50 AM
originally posted by zhangyifu

I live in Canada and my house is set at 70 degrees F. So should we just let the fan spin for a while if the problem should happen again?

I just let it boot under the Intel graphics then reboot by that time I'm fine. Although the issue has never happened at room temp over 63 for me. So far I seem to be able to predict with nearly 95% accuracy when it's going to happen. (sometimes I do get a cold boot up ok, and I have never seen the issue when warm) In fact I can tell well enough that I could make good money betting folks about it. It hard to say where the sensor issue is. I do believe it's a sensor firmware thing. could be in the power system, NVidia card, or motherboard, it's hard to say with my crude experiments. Our exotic power setups (with the two power supplies) may be a factor as well, if you remember my experiment with powering up without the graphics power block plugged in. Under those conditions the system behavior was exactly same. Full fans on NVidia card and a boot to the motherboard graphics.

chrimen
02-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Yes, although I haven't seen it in a long while, all the R&D I have done on it pointed to a windows 8.1 issue. Since it's so rare for me, and what I have read about it I'm not too worried about it. Doesn't exactly feel like a hardware thing to me either.

I haven't been too worried about it, but it's annoying when I have to either restart or use the hibernate option right after starting up.
It seems that it happens from a cold start/boot. It's just weird that I'm the only one having this issue on a consistent basis.

I do have the fans spooling up on high, but it usually subsides after a few seconds. I then have to deal with the slow video/audio.

Do you guys think this is related to virtuwatt. I notice that sometimes it appears as disabled after start up.

zhangyifu
02-11-2015, 08:51 PM
I haven't been too worried about it, but it's annoying when I have to either restart or use the hibernate option right after starting up.
It seems that it happens from a cold start/boot. It's just weird that I'm the only one having this issue on a consistent basis.

I do have the fans spooling up on high, but it usually subsides after a few seconds. I then have to deal with the slow video/audio.

Do you guys think this is related to virtuwatt. I notice that sometimes it appears as disabled after start up.

I got virtuwatt uninstalled and i still get the fan thing once in a while. I think i am actually being too worried about this problem right now, I had so much expectation for G20 and it is the first gaming rig I ever bought.

CyberKP
02-12-2015, 01:20 AM

ok, one thing is I think you don't see the fan issue the way we do. You'd know you had a problem if you saw it. When it happens the NVidia card does not start at all and you have just the Intel onboard card running. The fans do spool up in a start up they are supposed to do that, and they do taper off when done with the sequence. I don't think you need to worry about that. Have you been getting both the NVidia driver updates (not from Asus, but from NVidia, and have you been updating your Windows. I have been keeping up with those and I think they have made the slow video thing happen less and less.

Oh yeah, The virtuwatt thing. I see it also. I thought I had a big problem at first. It's nothing. The license code is flaky in that software. I pay it no mind.

CyberKP
02-12-2015, 01:41 AM
I got virtuwatt uninstalled and i still get the fan thing once in a while. I think i am actually being too worried about this problem right now, I had so much expectation for G20 and it is the first gaming rig I ever bought.

I have had experience with other high end gaming rigs and I have to say the Asus G20 (after I had a windows update that jammed and drove me nuts and nearly took out the OS) has been the most solid I have seen.

I liken it to cars, exotic cars have exotic touchiness. It's the same with gaming pc's as well. There is a lot of newer engineering in these G20's and at the time I got mine they had only been out a month or so in real time. besides the ice cold boot thing (very controllable in mine apparently) and the twitchy Virtuwatt (which I put back on and am currently studying) everything is great, and I have been learning more than if I had a perfect time.

Right now my only real reservation on the G20 is how long is the hard drive going to live in the 42 - 44 degrees C when gamming. At rest I am finding temps at 34 degrees C which is pretty optimal for a hard drive. When I finally saw the internal layout pics posted, it reminded me of some of the systems my work had purchased for workstations that were compact, and burnt drive after drive, "all in one" units with HD drives packed tight like that, although the G20 is designed as one big cooling tower and those did not have good air flow. Just makes me a bit skeptical over the really long haul.
I could tell you what real horror is. My Alienware experience had all the makings of a pants crapping horror flick. No Joke. and It was my first full gamming rig experience. It's taken me a long time to come down from that one.

chrimen
02-12-2015, 03:47 PM
ok, one thing is I think you don't see the fan issue the way we do. You'd know you had a problem if you saw it. When it happens the NVidia card does not start at all and you have just the Intel onboard card running. The fans do spool up in a start up they are supposed to do that, and they do taper off when done with the sequence. I don't think you need to worry about that. Have you been getting both the NVidia driver updates (not from Asus, but from NVidia, and have you been updating your Windows. I have been keeping up with those and I think they have made the slow video thing happen less and less.

Oh yeah, The virtuwatt thing. I see it also. I thought I had a big problem at first. It's nothing. The license code is flaky in that software. I pay it no mind.

I actually had the same fan problem issue. The fans would go on loudly and just keep going and I would get no signal on the Nvidia GPU. I had this happen to me a lot, but then my problem evolved into the slow video sound thing.

I keep all the drivers updated and have automatic updates on for windows. I make sure that windows is updated before updating the Nvidia drivers.

I have a feeling that the slow video/audio is temperature related. It seems it only happens on first boot up after the computer has been off for while. It also happens after the computer is on hibernate for a very long time.

I always have to restart or hibernate to get the video going again. It seems that once it's "warmed up" then the I have no issues.

I'm hoping someone can find a solution if it isn't temperature related.

jesterz
02-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Hi, I'm having the same issue with the HDMI no signal upon a cool boot up. It happened today again where the fan spun at high speed. I power off the machine using the button and after that I unplug the both power plugs that connects to the G20 and plug them back it. Upon power on, things were back to normal. It's the first time I tried this method.

CyberKP
02-13-2015, 09:49 PM
You don't have to be that brutal about it. Realize this, when the system boots like that your video out is on the motherboard's intel hd graphics output. I have more than one input on my monitor, so I connect both the NVidia and the Intel output to my monitor. So when it happens (rarely now) I make sure I shut down normally. I was doing similar to you at first and I caused OS damage I almost couldn't fix. If you shutdown normally though the os when displayed on the intel gfx wait a few moments, I think you are going to find it will boot ok after that. I think going through the whole boot sequence and doing a proper shutdown gives the NVidia card time to warm up under power. If you don't have the capability to dual use the outputs then I'd time what the longest boot you can think of is and wait 2x that then press the power button briefly once and let the OS shut down then wait a few moments then power back up. You don't have to pull the power. That is if your system is following the pattern like the rest of ours.

I found on mine at least it's all about temperature. If I start it when I have my house heat down it happens always on the first boot of the day. I always wait until my house warms up after turning my heat up (I turn down 10 degrees at night to save energy). I have never seen the problem since I have done that.

zhangyifu
02-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Hi, I'm having the same issue with the HDMI no signal upon a cool boot up. It happened today again where the fan spun at high speed. I power off the machine using the button and after that I unplug the both power plugs that connects to the G20 and plug them back it. Upon power on, things were back to normal. It's the first time I tried this method.

As far as my experience goes, regardless of whether you use the DVI or the HDMI, the fan issue would occur no matter what. Secondly, power off the machine using the power button might damage your hard drive, so I think it is better to use CyberKP's solution, which is to boot up the system using the onboard graphics card first, and then power off and switch to the discrete GPU.

CyberKP
02-13-2015, 09:56 PM
I actually had the same fan problem issue. The fans would go on loudly and just keep going and I would get no signal on the Nvidia GPU. I had this happen to me a lot, but then my problem evolved into the slow video sound thing.

I keep all the drivers updated and have automatic updates on for windows. I make sure that windows is updated before updating the Nvidia drivers.

I have a feeling that the slow video/audio is temperature related. It seems it only happens on first boot up after the computer has been off for while. It also happens after the computer is on hibernate for a very long time.

I always have to restart or hibernate to get the video going again. It seems that once it's "warmed up" then the I have no issues.

I'm hoping someone can find a solution if it isn't temperature related.

Ah, your system fits the pattern, but I don't understand why I have seen the video/audio slow thing only twice. Maybe because since then I hook both intel and NVidia outputs up so when fan thing happens (almost never now since I watch my room temp and maybe since I run it every day) I can shut the system down gracefully. It does boot to intel gfx and I soft shutdown, then give it a few moments then power back up.

I am not 100% sure but I think I haven't seen the slow video since I started using both outputs and the graceful shutdown.

zhangyifu
02-13-2015, 09:56 PM
I found on mine at least it's all about temperature. If I start it when I have my house heat down it happens always on the first boot of the day. I always wait until my house warms up after turning my heat up (I turn down 10 degrees at night to save energy). I have never seen the problem since I have done that.

I wish the problem could resolve itself once summer comes.

zhangyifu
02-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Ah, your system fits the pattern, but I don't understand why I have seen the video/audio slow thing only twice. Maybe because since then I hook both intel and NVidia outputs up so when fan thing happens (almost never now since I watch my room temp and maybe since I run it every day) I can shut the system down gracefully. It does boot to intel gfx and I soft shutdown, then give it a few moments then power back up.

I am not 100% sure but I think I haven't seen the slow video since I started using both outputs and the graceful shutdown.

I updated the drive for the intel card, and the slow video thing never happened again.

CyberKP
02-13-2015, 10:01 PM
As far as my experience goes, regardless of whether you use the DVI or the HDMI, the fan issue would occur no matter what. Secondly, power off the machine using the power button might damage your hard drive, so I think it is better to use CyberKP's solution, which is to boot up the system using the onboard graphics card first, and then power off and switch to the discrete GPU.

I actually keep both outputs hooked up full time now, got tired of racing for the cable. Since I use the computer every day I wonder what keeping it off for a few days would do? I wonder if I'd see the issue despite my room and system temps.

It's my bet this is a design flaw somewhere in the system. I bet everyone with the same hardware loadout has this issue. I also wonder if Asus is doing anything about it. As long as it stays manageable I'm not to bent about it. I barely have to think about it anymore. I keep hoping I see someone post that they have found a permanent cure.

CyberKP
02-13-2015, 10:07 PM
I updated the drive for the intel card, and the slow video thing never happened again.

really, I have done soooo. much stuff I don't remember if I did that as well, I wouldn't be surprised if I did. I was updating everything I could think of at one point.

I just know I saw it twice and all of a sudden I never saw it again.

zhangyifu
02-13-2015, 10:09 PM
I actually keep both outputs hooked up full time now, got tired of racing for the cable. Since I use the computer every day I wonder what keeping it off for a few days would do? I wonder if I'd see the issue despite my room and system temps.

It's my bet this is a design flaw somewhere in the system. I bet everyone with the same hardware loadout has this issue. I also wonder if Asus is doing anything about it. As long as it stays manageable I'm not to bent about it. I barely have to think about it anymore. I keep hoping I see someone post that they have found a permanent cure.

Are there any ways we can contact Asus? to let them know about the issue?

chrimen
02-17-2015, 04:16 PM

It seems it's all temperature related since once the rig comes on I'll leave it running for a minute or so and then I'll do a hibernate or a restart and the sound goes back to normal.

I don't mind it so much, but wish it would just start up normally.

hori
02-19-2015, 01:41 PM
mines been fine last week and half since I put my comp to high performance setting in the asus command , was on normal before.
I also noticed when it did it last it was followed by windows updates afterwards on restart

chrimen
02-19-2015, 04:38 PM
mines been fine last week and half since I put my comp to high performance setting in the asus command , was on normal before.
I also noticed when it did it last it was followed by windows updates afterwards on restart

Did you just have the fan issue? or did you have the slow sound/video issue as well?

I know I have mine on normal. I'll put it on high performance and see what happens...

hori
02-19-2015, 07:17 PM
mine never had issue with sound/ video just fan issue that is random and bsod few months ago that was fixed by either nvidia update or asus bios. I have the GTX770

chrimen
02-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Just for reference I have a the GTX 760 version.
I put mine on high performance and I had more trouble getting it started properly than I previously did. I would restart and the screen would go dark which means that only the on board graphics was working. This happened a couple of times while it was on high performance.
I reverted back to normal performance and things are back to the way they were.
I still need to restart/hibernate once or twice after the rig has been off or on hibernate for a while.

On one occasion the graphics card would not work and the fans were spinning as loudly as possible. I waited to see if they would stop spinning and they did not even after switching to the on board graphics card. This happened a couple of times and the rig seemed sluggish.
I then checked all of the power cables and realized that the power plug to the graphics cards was not connected properly. It was still connected but not in fully. I had moved the rig earlier and it seems one of the cables had come loose.
Once I plugged in properly everything worked fine.

If you are having the spinning fans and the discrete graphics card not working, switch to the on board graphics, shut down and then just make sure everything is plugged in well. Then turn the rig back on and see if that was the issue.

jesterz
03-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Since the last time, I had been just powering up the system with the fan blowing and then rebooting it which bring everything back to normal. There has been suggestions about the issue being related to temperature and so I was waiting for temperature to get warmer (didn't artificially use a portable heater to pre heat the unit up). *LOL* It has gotten warmer than before and today when I turned on, everything was just fine on the first cold boot up. Crossing my fingers it stays that way until another winter season.

chrimen
04-22-2015, 02:06 PM
I can confirm this. After a long cold winter here in the NE, the weather started getting warmer and I noticed that I don't have to shut down or put it on hibernate after the first boot up.

zbs910819
04-23-2015, 08:12 PM
make sure your cable is HDMI to HDMI exact same interface, otherwise you will prob have this issue.

Also., some monitor can only be lighting up at same interface model, like you can only use DP to DP, HDMI to HDMI, or MiniDP to MiniDp.

billmavra
04-25-2015, 01:41 PM
guys there is also a new vga driver on the asus site... don't no if it does anything but it's an option... i guess we will see next winter if it works :)

Zimi1975
06-22-2015, 12:15 PM
the new driver is not helping... were I live its always sunny and summer.. and I still have this issue. So its not weather related :-)

brian1112
08-13-2015, 03:17 AM
My driver installer wont even detect the gpu. When I run it through the regular HDMI for nvidia it works fine and when i disable my intel 4600 nothing happens. I still can't get the computer to detect my gtx760. So basically when i switch to hdmi on the gpu nothing comes up. It used to and i had installed the driver and everything. In fact, in programs, the driver and everything shows up. But I can no longer launch geforce experience or anything even though i have it installed in programs. I tried the boot trick but that didnt work. It still will only output through the regular intel graphics hdmi port. Someone please help!! What a waste of a gpu

Knipfknopf
02-22-2016, 07:57 AM
He's guys,

Is there any valid fix for that problem by now? I was so happy to find a thread according to that boot issue. I just bought a refurbished g20aj (gtx760) and this problem started a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know how to really fix that? Or is there no solution at all an we have to deal with it?

It would be great to hearing from you!

dianebrat
02-22-2016, 12:34 PM
He's guys,

Is there any valid fix for that problem by now? I was so happy to find a thread according to that boot issue. I just bought a refurbished g20aj (gtx760) and this problem started a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know how to really fix that? Or is there no solution at all an we have to deal with it?

A: A large number of users had the old BIOS and the new 07xx BIOS resolved it
B: Tons of Nvidia drivers related issues, new drivers helped it.
C: some folks had weird HDMI issues and DVI resolved it.

That's 95% of the solutions in the thread and since it pretty much died last summer I wouldn't consider this an epidemic issue, more a one-off now.

Knipfknopf
02-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your answere..

In my case, I have the newest Drivers installed and I also got the newest bios version (0703). I still got that issue EVERYTIME I first bootup the PC.

Hope anyone has another Information or a fix for me

Welsh Whoopee
02-24-2016, 06:54 PM
He's guys,

yeah does sound like old bios drivers, how old is the pc?

Knipfknopf
02-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Actually, I don't know how old the PC is, I purchased it as refurbished.

What I did for now:

- Updated the bios to the newest version
- Changed from HDMI to DVI
- Updated the NVIDIA drivers

The boot issue still occurs. After having about 6 days without it, the issue came again this morning. I really don't know what to do. Hope to get some input from the users who had this problem finally fixed.

If anyone has another idea, let me know.. Thank you :o

zkanuck
11-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Bump

Would love to know if anyone else has found a fix for this issue.*

billmavra
11-20-2016, 07:43 PM
i think i finally found it guys.. in the new bios Primary Display set to "PCIE" AND CPU Multi-Monitor "Enabled" (maybe it is multi-display.. they are on the same page anyway)... It starts full speed but then it stops on its own and boots correctly. I hope it works for you too.

billmavra
11-23-2016, 12:41 PM
nope.... i was wrong again...

chrimen
12-08-2016, 04:20 PM
nope.... i was wrong again...

Have you found a solution to this?

chrimen
12-15-2016, 07:03 PM
If you have a G20AJ with a 760 and you're having trouble getting the GPU to provide signal with loud spinning fan, it's the 230W power brick.
It seems that the issue with the slow sound and or spinning fans happened because we received faulty power bricks.
If you switch out the 230W power brick everything runs normal.
I just ordered and received a new one from Asus and it works like a charm.

zkanuck
12-16-2016, 09:18 PM
If you have a G20AJ with a 760 and you're having trouble getting the GPU to provide signal with loud spinning fan, it's the 230W power brick.
It seems that the issue with the slow sound and or spinning fans happened because we received faulty power bricks.

So after changing the power brick, you don't have the strange behaviour on a first cold boot? Mine does this strange no signal issue on a cold boot but after a couple minutes a reboot can be done with normal behaviour. *

KingBlaak95
12-17-2016, 12:49 PM

Hey Chrimen, where did you order your brick from cause I seem to have the same problem.

Thanks, King

chrimen
12-19-2016, 07:19 PM
So after changing the power brick, you don't have the strange behaviour on a first cold boot? Mine does this strange no signal issue on a cold boot but after a couple minutes a reboot can be done with normal behaviour. *

I have had no issues now from a cold boot. Everything runs normally. I also upgraded to a 1070. But before upgrading I tried the 760 with another power brick and I had no problems.

Ever since I got the computer I had the cold boot issue. Either the fans spun loudly or the I would get the slow motion on video and sound. It required a couple of restarts before it would work normally.

The power brick seems to have died or generated less power after replacing the 760 with a 1070. I would try to turn it on with the 760 and the fans would just spin loudly, no signal. The 1070 would not even get signal and at one point the fans on the card stopped spinning and a service center told me the card was dead. I had to return the card.
So I would try replacing the power brick first before getting any expensive components.

Hey Chrimen, where did you order your brick from cause I seem to have the same problem.

Thanks, King

I got it directly from the Asus website here in the US. It costs about $100. Below is the link.
http://store.asus.com/us/item/201506AM050000020/A19419-ASUS+230W+G-Series+Notebook+Power+Adapter

Essentially it's a laptop power brick. You can see the models of the laptops it fits.

Hope this helps both of your issues.

zkanuck
12-20-2016, 01:49 AM
I have had no issues now from a cold boot. Everything runs normally. I also upgraded to a 1070. But before upgrading I tried the 760 with another power brick and I had no problems.

Ever since I got the computer I had the cold boot issue. Either the fans spun loudly or the I would get the slow motion on video and sound. It required a couple of restarts before it would work normally.

The power brick seems to have died or generated less power after replacing the 760 with a 1070. I would try to turn it on with the 760 and the fans would just spin loudly, no signal. The 1070 would not even get signal and at one point the fans on the card stopped spinning and a service center told me the card was dead. I had to return the card.
So I would try replacing the power brick first before getting any expensive components.

I got it directly from the Asus website here in the US. It costs about $100. Below is the link.
http://store.asus.com/us/item/201506AM050000020/A19419-ASUS+230W+G-Series+Notebook+Power+Adapter

Essentially it's a laptop power brick. You can see the models of the laptops it fits.

Thanks for your reply. I'm in New Zealand and I ordered one from a local retailer which claims to be compatible with the G20. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your suggestion.

chrimen
12-20-2016, 03:03 AM
Thanks for your reply. I'm in New Zealand and I ordered one from a local retailer which claims to be compatible with the G20. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your suggestion.

If the charger fits the following Asus ROG laptops you should be good.

G750JH, G750JZ, G751JY/JT, G752VY

Let me know if that fixes your issues.

KingBlaak95
12-21-2016, 03:42 AM

Thanks Man, very much appreciated have a good Christmas. :D

chrimen
12-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Thanks Man, very much appreciated have a good Christmas. :D

Have a great Christmas..

Do let me know if the new power brick works. I'm curious to know if this works.
I have a feeling that a lot of the DOA 760 cards, and boot up issues were due to faulty power bricks.
But that is just speculation on my part.

zkanuck
12-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Have a great Christmas..

I have a feeling that a lot of the DOA 760 cards, and boot up issues were due to faulty power bricks.

Well I thought the new brick worked cause the first cold boot went OK, but subsequent cold boots failed just like with the old brick. I'm using mine with a EVGA 960 4GB blower style card.

The part number of the new brick was slightly different than the original but it looks identical and has the same specs.

The cold boot issues are getting more intermittent now that the ambient temps are warmer here in New Zealand. I got my G20 last summer so the issue didn't show up until it got cold in winter.

Might try another GPU or upgrade to the new G20CB with i7/GTX1070...*

KingBlaak95
01-03-2017, 06:15 AM
Have a great Christmas..

Yeah ****... just got the new power adapter and the same thing happened just like with zkzanuck. I think its the gpu(gtx 1080 FE) gonna try putting back the gtx 745 that it came with and see if that works. Fingers crossed lol

chrimen
01-05-2017, 04:06 AM
Sorry to hear that guys. Just be careful because when I had those issues and upgraded my card it ended up frying the 1070 so I had to return it and get a new one. Do post a solution if you happen to find one. I'm curious to know.

KingBlaak95
01-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Sorry to hear that guys. Just be careful because when I had those issues and upgraded my card it ended up frying the 1070 so I had to return it and get a new one. Do post a solution if you happen to find one. I'm curious to know.

Hey, how do you know if your gpu is faulting because I swapped the old gtx 745 back in and the system booted up the same way with a black screen (but the monitor picks up a signal) and no function except to press ctrl+alt+del for the restart.

P.s. Could it maybe be a ram problem?

chrimen
01-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Honestly I'm at a loss here and don't want to lead you guys down the wrong path.
Does the on board graphics card work?

Only way that I know of to test the GPU is to put it in another rig.

If you have a way to test things on another system that would be great. That way you can eliminate things that are working such as the cables, GPUs etc.

zkanuck
03-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Gents, just wanted to let you know that I have solved my cold boot issues once and for all!

I decided to upgrade the old 960 to a PNY 1060 6GB blower card. The card upgrade did not fix the cold boot issues.

It suddenly occurred to me that regularly during my cold boots I was having to always change chipset HDD settings from RAID (BIOS default) to AHCI in order to get a boot in to Windows. My theory was that the BIOS settings weren't being saved upon shutdown. I decided to go ahead and replace the Motherboard battery (CR2032). Now I have not experienced any cold boot problems for over 2 weeks. This was a pain in the ass as far as disassembly/reassembly but worth it in the end!*

I recommend replacing your BIOS battery ($5 + 30mins) and your cold boot issues shout disappear! I'm very happy with the boot times and performance of the G20 now. And even though mine only has the i5, the GTX 1060 has made this thing a 1080p beast!

Good luck!*

Welsh Whoopee
03-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Gents, just wanted to let you know that I have solved my cold boot issues once and for all!

I decided to upgrade the old 960 to a PNY 1060 6GB blower card. The card upgrade did not fix the cold boot issues.

It suddenly occurred to me that regularly during my cold boots I was having to always change chipset HDD settings from RAID (BIOS default) to AHCI in order to get a boot in to Windows. My theory was that the BIOS settings weren't being saved upon shutdown. I decided to go ahead and replace the Motherboard battery (CR2032). Now I have not experienced any cold boot problems for over 2 weeks. This was a pain in the ass as far as disassembly/reassembly but worth it in the end!*

I recommend replacing your BIOS battery ($5 + 30mins) and your cold boot issues shout disappear! I'm very happy with the boot times and performance of the G20 now. And even though mine only has the i5, the GTX 1060 has made this thing a 1080p beast!

Good luck!*

nice mate, sounds like it did the trick

upgrade to a nice i7 4790k :)

zkanuck
04-19-2017, 03:30 AM
nice mate, sounds like it did the trick

upgrade to a nice i7 4790k :) *

Funny you should say that becuase I did use your videos on YT as a guide for all the work I did recently - thank you. I went with a 4770 non-K becuase this motherboard doesn't support overclocking and an extra 8GB DDR3. Beast!

I really hope the other guys in this thread see my post above about the BIOS battery fix.

*Cheers

zkanuck
05-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Just a quick update to confirm that during the colder autumn nights here in New Zeakand I'm still NOT having any of the cold boot issues since I replaced the BIOS battery.

Cheers*