PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Batteries wear level keep on increasing

gg31hh
11-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi,

I recently discuss within AsusROG forum about 'whether to leave the batteries in the computer while plugged in or not"

and which everyone advice me to leave it on and use it like normal.

However Its been 2 weeks ive tried leaving my G74SX batteries in and use it like normal............

I come to find (within HWINFO64) My batteries wear level increase from 3% to 3.5% and now 3.8%

Please advice...... I really really hoping its the Hwinfo isnt picking it up right.

More info:
Design Capacity 78000mWh
Full charged Capacity 75000mWh

BrodyBoy
11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Yeah....that doesn't sound right at all. I used one G74 for a month (battery always installed) and HWINFO didn't show any change in wear level. I have another Asus laptop that's about a year old and the battery wear level is currently at 6.8%. So 3.8% in two months sounds like a lot. :(

xeromist
11-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Hrmm, it could settle down after a while or it could be a bad battery.

Yahooligan
11-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Agreed, something isn't right. HWiNFO64 reports my battery's wear level is 0.7% after a few weeks of operation including some battery-only operation and charge cycles.

JRd1st
11-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I've had my G74 for over 2 months and my wear level is 0.3%. I keep mine on the adapter, mostly, but I did discharge the battery to about 10% twice. One funny thing, my wear level was once 0.6% then went down?

Norsky48
11-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah....that doesn't sound right at all. I used one G74 for a month (battery always installed) and HWINFO didn't show any change in wear level. I have another Asus laptop that's about a year old and the battery wear level is currently at 6.8%. So 3.8% in two months sounds like a lot. :(

Mine is 3-4 months old now and I just ran hwinfo - battery wear is 0.0%. But it may have been on battery for a total of less than 10 minutes.

lekerol
11-05-2011, 08:40 AM
might have same problem?

Mine is only 2 months and it says 4.6% wear leve.

gg31hh
11-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi all.

Yea its weird ei... Im assuming hwinfo64 just isnt always accurate.
I drain my whole batteries in bios mode...... and hwinfo64 shows 3.3% (lower than before)...... But now... I redrain it n now is 5.5% within 3 months time

its getting worst n worst...

lekerol
11-05-2011, 10:45 AM
yeah im gonna request a change of batteri if this continues, not even my acer notebook have wear off that quickly.

i mean common, my computer is overheating sometimes, batteri is draining quickly.

i didnt spennd 1700 euros to get some cheap ****, i even saw date of screen, was made early 2010 first januari almost 2009,

I mean common its s upposed to be a top of the line notebook ?

Symb
11-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Geez.. The battery is there just to fulfill the term "laptop" or "notebook" on this machine anyway. For me its just an integrated UPS.
Gets pretty geeky to spend so much time with some nonsense battery wear percentages, I doubt the numbers are that accurate aspecially with that new batterypack.
But anyway, here's some fact. Li-Ion batteries love the cycles indeed, so whenever you're doing stuff that doesn't require the full performance, drain your battery all the way down, and charge her up again. And really as dry you can get it, not any windows 10%. The battery itself has a protection that doesn't allow it to be "overdrained".
Like cycle once a week or even month will keep her healthy for much longer time.

BrodyBoy
11-05-2011, 08:21 PM
yeah im gonna request a change of batteri if this continues, not even my acer notebook have wear off that quickly.

i mean common, my computer is overheating sometimes, batteri is draining quickly.
If there is a defect in the battery, then by all means, get it replaced.

i didnt spennd 1700 euros to get some cheap ****, i even saw date of screen, was made early 2010 first januari almost 2009,

I mean common its s upposed to be a top of the line notebook ?The date of a part's manufacture is not indicative of its value or quality. If it's the same panel, it doesn't matter when it was made....it's brand new when the computer is purchased.

Yahooligan
11-05-2011, 11:31 PM
But anyway, here's some fact. Li-Ion batteries love the cycles indeed, so whenever you're doing stuff that doesn't require the full performance, drain your battery all the way down, and charge her up again. And really as dry you can get it, not any windows 10%. The battery itself has a protection that doesn't allow it to be "overdrained".
Like cycle once a week or even month will keep her healthy for much longer time.

That's actually incorrect, deep discharges reduce Li-Ion battery life by quite a number of cycles. Read the following for good info on Li-Ion batteries and life.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Symb
11-06-2011, 08:19 AM
That's actually incorrect, deep discharges reduce Li-Ion battery life by quite a number of cycles. Read the following for good info on Li-Ion batteries and life.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

You slapped me in the face with this one indeed. Li-Ion worked pretty much the opposite way.

BrodyBoy
11-06-2011, 09:37 AM
No face slaps here....we're all here to help and to learn, and we all make mistakes. :) But it might be a good idea to delete or update that post, just to save future readers any confusion.

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 10:51 AM
So we're back to the old idea that an occasional deep discharge is good for the battery's longevity?

I wish people could make up their minds, sheesh! :)

gg31hh
11-07-2011, 08:31 AM
well I find that the more I discharge the worst it is... Now my warelevel is 5.8% ... while previous is 3.3%.............. Sudden jump after deep discharge twice

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 10:31 AM
I think this is one of those subjects where the internet is no help at all. Lol

kaltoreth
11-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Batteries confuse the living donkey out of me.

Some people state that one should allow the batteries on a laptop to completely discharge every now and then, due to some stuff i really dont understand.

While other say, try never to take latop batteries under 10% (~ish), or they will die faster.

Argh!
:confused:

380mcn
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
i have a 6yr compal cl56. i never use the battery and keep it charged about 50%..
last summer went on a train for 2 hours and half.. i used it with the battery on.. it lasted the whole trip! it has a wear level of 4% ..

Symb
11-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Let's keep this stone rolling, I'm back with the wardrums booming ;).

If we see it this way, that user keeps the laptop on cord 100% of the time, but doesn't perhaps want to ruin his battery, then maybe in this case in the name of maintaining the battery's condition, it would be better to deep discharge it and then recharge it.
IF the battery usage is usually zero or something...

These are not the smartest equipment when talking about how they treat their battery, they load it to 100%, keep it there, and drink all the juice out of it "if" a situation like that occures. Correct me here if I'm wrong, but at least I haven't encountered any software based battery maintenance program in a compatible laptop HW, that could be left on for like a night to do its tricks (slowly discharging to some x level and recharging etc.). And this could happen even if the lappy is plugged in.

Only thing near this was new HP elitebook that had a manual switch that disconnects the battery from the circuit, even if the battery was attached to lappy.
One con would probably be that most of the laptops tend to get very warm even in a light use, thus it would be the same as to store it in a hot environment. That would, of course, not be the case with g74sx, since the cooling is absolutely amazing. ;)

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't like the idea of my notebook missing a piece of the bottom. Lol

Yahooligan
11-07-2011, 08:17 PM
These are not the smartest equipment when talking about how they treat their battery, they load it to 100%, keep it there, and drink all the juice out of it "if" a situation like that occures. Correct me here if I'm wrong, but at least I haven't encountered any software based battery maintenance program in a compatible laptop HW, that could be left on for like a night to do its tricks (slowly discharging to some x level and recharging etc.). And this could happen even if the lappy is plugged in.

Actually, our G74SXs and most current laptops do this very thing. The laptop does not charge it to 100% and then keep it there by way of a constant trickle charge. The laptop will charge it to 100% and then stop. Over time the battery will slowly discharge to 95% and then the laptop will do a maintenance charge back up to 100%.

My Lenovo laptop from work lets me configure at what level the laptop charges the battery back up when on A/C power, the default is 95% but it can be configured.

You need to give modern technology more credit. :D Keeping the battery in the laptop and the laptop plugged in will keep the battery in the best possible condition and provide the longest life.

Symb
11-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Actually, our G74SXs and most current laptops do this very thing. The laptop does not charge it to 100% and then keep it there by way of a constant trickle charge. The laptop will charge it to 100% and then stop. Over time the battery will slowly discharge to 95% and then the laptop will do a maintenance charge back up to 100%.

My Lenovo laptop from work lets me configure at what level the laptop charges the battery back up when on A/C power, the default is 95% but it can be configured.

You need to give modern technology more credit. :D Keeping the battery in the laptop and the laptop plugged in will keep the battery in the best possible condition and provide the longest life.

Hmm, well to be honest I was wondering the 97% reading there when plugged in...
My last and still running laptop, acer from year 2008 ****ed up its battery hands down,
I never took it off the cord, and when I did it was literally just a few minutes UPS.

But good to know that our beloved g74 keeps rubbing the batt.

Still back to the battery wear issue, I wonder if it's the same with these lappy batteries that it takes some couple of cycles, and perhaps deeper discharges for the battery to rea h its full potential, thus showing any random readings when fresh out of the box?

gg31hh
11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
OMG........ my batteries n getting worst n worst. If I ever use my batteries from full charge down (say 20% power left) ...... My Ware level increase n increase. I use my batt on a go this last week, and my warelevel increase from 5.8% to 6.2% now........... This is crazy. I bought this G74SX more than a month n the warelevel is already at 6.2%???????

dstrakele
11-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Just curious - If you try using your battery until 80% charge remains, then plug in, do your find your wear level decreasing from 6.2% to a lower level? Try this for a week or so, and see what you get.

gg31hh
11-14-2011, 04:15 AM
Hold on....... let me try it and let you know

gg31hh
11-14-2011, 04:43 AM
HEY it helped........ THANK YOUuuuu...... the ware level% drop to 5.9% ....... Does this mean I got a batteries that will become useless if I use more than 20%?

dstrakele
11-14-2011, 04:50 AM
No - it means if you just use 20% a session, and then plug it in and charge it up, they'll last forever! ;>{)>

Seriously, Yahooligan has recently posted some good info on proper battery use and care -some right in this very thread. Use the Search function in this forum to find them (or PM him about it). Basically, when you deep discharge your battery, you wear it down much faster than if you use just a little and charge often. I'm sure the software wear level calculation takes that into account.

gg31hh
11-14-2011, 05:26 AM
Does my warelevel got anything to do with....... Fully Charge on the first use? Ie. As I recall ....... For the first time use batteries, Needed to charge more than 12 hours?

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Maybe your adapter is weak?

fixitchris
11-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I wonder if the fact that the battery goes down to 95% on AC mode before it gets charged is actually helpful or not.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I think Asus was trying for a balance between readiness and battery health. They HAVE TO keep it from charging continually, and they want the laptop to be always nearly charged when it's plugged in. So they chose 90%. :shrug:

gg31hh
12-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Well I got my battery replaced by kind ASUS Customer Care.. and been using it for almost 1 month now

the reading increase from 0.0% to 2.8%

JRd1st
12-10-2011, 09:46 AM
That's a LOT for a month. Mine is 0.8% after 4 months.

You must really work your batteries hard.