PDA

View Full Version : "TAB" key tilted.

kobejumpin
12-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Hi all, calling the veterans here as I have an issue with the "TAB" key. Opened my G751JT today (fresh from the freight forwarding service in Costa Rica) and I noticed that the "TAB" key is slightly tilted down to the left. Can anyone help me how to fix this. This is my only issue with the laptop (apart from the audio which is a known issue and hopefully will be fixed by a driver update soon) so far and is quite irritating cause it may pop-out.

Prostar Computer
12-31-2014, 10:42 PM
Use 'tab' to increase or decrease the indent. :p

Okay, seriously: You have the option of popping the key out or removing the top case to inspect under the keyboard, but either is very risky and I don't promote exploring either option. The problem could be with a component just under the key cap, which may not be an easy fix, and may actually need replaced.

Sorry kobejumpin. :( It probably needs serviced by Asus, if nothing else, to protect your warranty.

kobejumpin
12-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Ouch. Not risking opening this though. It does seem stable right now when you press down on it (tried about 400 times) but again, may pop out one of these days. I do hope the service center here in Costa Rica is reliable and truly Asus, not the "outsourced to a third party" type.

I'd rather go there than ship this back to Amazon which costs me a fortune to send back to the U.S. and back here when they're done with it.

Thanks for the note Prostar! I hope there is someone out there with other ideas. :)

kobejumpin
01-01-2015, 12:17 AM
Update: Also noticed that the ` key is also slightly tilted in to the left side. But not as bad as the "TAB" key. You can also see this in the image I posted. Help! :(

hmscott
01-06-2015, 03:15 AM
kobejumpin, return it for another one.

kobejumpin
01-06-2015, 05:19 AM
Scott, returning it to Amazon will cost me about 400$ back and forth. :( I'll probably try and get in touch with the certified Asus service center in Costa Rica first and see what happens. Well I have until January 31 to return it to Amazon if that would be the option. Thanks.

hmscott
01-06-2015, 06:06 AM
Scott, returning it to Amazon will cost me about 400$ back and forth. :( I'll probably try and get in touch with the certified Asus service center in Costa Rica first and see what happens. Well I have until January 31 to return it to Amazon if that would be the option. Thanks.

kobejumpin, if it displeases you, what other course can there be? RMA to Asus takes a long time, and there will be shipping costs to Asus repair as well.

If the keyboard keys as tilted aren't functional, then what can you do?

It appears that some ill fitting escapement has gotten in the way and caused the misfitment, Nothing to do but replace the parts. Better to get another unit with correct fitting to start than to set right something that may come back the same way as before, or worse.

Amazon should bear the cost, and will, if you are a Prime member. Be sure to firmly define the terms of return as in the cost of Amazon.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

kobejumpin
01-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Just got off a chat session with Amazon. It didn't work out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201117950
So it's either I return the item to Amazon (not valid for replacement as stated in the policy) for a refund but get charged shipping from Costa Rica to the U.S. or keep it and try my luck with the sole Asus certified service center in Costa Rica to fix / replace my keyboard / keys which I am currently doubting would be free of charge if something needs to be replaced. I sent an email to the Asus rep who answers negative reviews on Amazon.com and hopefully I get a response... How unfortunate...

hmscott
01-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Just got off a chat session with Amazon. It didn't work out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201117950
So it's either I return the item to Amazon (not valid for replacement as stated in the policy) for a refund but get charged shipping from Costa Rica to the U.S. or keep it and try my luck with the sole Asus certified service center in Costa Rica to fix / replace my keyboard / keys which I am currently doubting would be free of charge if something needs to be replaced. I sent an email to the Asus rep who answers negative reviews on Amazon.com and hopefully I get a response... How unfortunate...

kobejumpin, I think Asus will fix it as part of the warranty work, if that is your only choice it is worth a try. You do have a warranty period to get it repaired.

kobejumpin
01-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Hi Scott. Yup I do. 1-year international warranty. I'll probably go to the service center this weekend. My fear with this issue is either one or both of the keys may pop-out and / or the whole area below those keys are being pressed down by something thereby may result in other damages long-term. Everything else is fine (save for the audio imbalance - which I barely notice, and the rear USB not being able to power up any device not a mouse - which I suppose can be fixed by another BIOS update or driver).
Thanks for your support. I understand completely why Amazon denied my replacement request. No qualms there. I just wished they shipped computers and part here in Costa Rica because prices here of technology are 1.5X the price in the U.S. and with reason (customs, tax, shipping, insurance, etc.).

kobejumpin
01-07-2015, 01:45 AM
Oh Scott... Got to talk with an Asus rep (the one who answers the reviews on Amazon) and he said that if I bring this machine to the Costa Rica certified service center I will have to shoulder repair costs. What happened to 'Asus 1 year international warranty'. And to think that this is an issue when I opened the box. Anyone you know who I can escalate this? Thanks

kobejumpin
01-07-2015, 03:00 AM
UPDATE: Because I was pissed about the whole situation, I just tried to watch some videos online on how to remove keys from the keyboard of a laptop (Take note not of Asus branded laptops) and just popped the "TAB" key out. I was fortunate that the key and it's tiny hooking arms were intact. What I found out that both top and bottom hooking arms to the right were not properly fastened (Another QA issue of this particular model) hence tapping on the key repeatedly did not fix the issue. I then snapped the key back as best I could and voila! My "TAB" key looks right as rain!

My key takeaways:

1) Amazon purchase: read the fine print before purchasing. I did not read that Amazon had this policy of items bought from them but needed additional shipping through a freight forwarder to get it to my location. In my case because I purchased this and used a freight forwarder to get it to Costa Rica, I am unable to return it without owning the bill for shipping it back to Amazon and was essentially not qualified for direct replacement.
2) Asus 1-year international warranty and / or any period of length of international warranty for that matter is not supported by the Asus authorized service centers in Latin and South America - hence my do-it-yourself mode. There may be other regions / countries that Asus authorized service centers do not honor international warranty. So best to know before you purchase.

I just do hope that my G751JT does not die on me within the year or else I'm done for or will shell out money to get it fixed.

Thanks everyone for your support!

P.S. I will not fix the "`" anymore. I don't use it as often as the "TAB" key anyway.

Here is the chat exchange I had with the Amazon rep:

Here is the email response I got from the Asus rep: